Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do You Have a Disaster Preparedness Kit? (If so, what is something unique in it?)

PleaseBlitz

People like to poke fun at this, but look at NO after Katrina, Jersey after Sandy or how many people went without power after snow storms last year. Between increased weather intensity and global tensions, having a legit bug out bag is pretty smart.

If you've ever been privy to a mandatory evacuation, you'd understand.

what level of disaster are you people talking about!!??

it seems like "Red Dawn" is a minor disturbance, in your planning scale... but "30 days later" is an appropriate metric.   

we have some water, some some canned food.  some batteries and oil for our pretty little lanterns  

(i have about 30 of these... and they look really pretty when the power is out :) )

glass-oil-lamp-320px-320px.jpg

if the zombie apocalypse comes... count me as zombie meat

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<edit>

i AM thinking about buying one of those hand-crank/solar radio/USBcharger/flashlights 

does anyone have any recommendations on a good one?

so if power goes down, riots and looters don't happen and you want to buy something from the store, how many bullets does a gallon of milk cost?

People don't have bug out bags for the power just going out. People buy them for the 2nd example the OP stated of a bomb going off in D.C. It would have to be a big one too. A bomb went off in Boston and no one fled the city. The bomb would have to wipe out more than a few city blocks. I'm not sure if the OP means dirty bomb or nuke or something. Because their is a big difference in being prepared for a hurricane and being prepared for a nuclear war.

My daughter dated an Air Force intelligence officer who had been through the SEER training and more, and he bought her a kit. I'll have to find out what's in it but remember the quality knife and hand cranked radio/flashlight that also charged USB devices.

This one looks pretty good.

http://www.amazon.com/Ambient-Weather-Emergency-Flashlight-Certified/dp/B0071BTJPI

My daughter dated an Air Force intelligence officer who had been through the SEER training and more, and he bought her a kit. I'll have to find out what's in it but remember the quality knife and hand cranked radio/flashlight that also charged USB devices.

This one looks pretty good.

http://www.amazon.com/Ambient-Weather-Emergency-Flashlight-Certified/dp/B0071BTJPI

i just ordered one....thanks :)

what level of disaster are you people talking about!!??

the most common here is hurricanes/flooding

next would be petrochemical disaster

the drug war is always a option,zombies ain't got nothing on Colombian hit men

Sounds like you're off to a good start.  As others have mentioned, a hand crank radio is a good idea.  I also have my most important documents in a to-go pouch and a lot of extra meds that are prescription or otherwise wouldn't be found in a first aid kit.  Whatever it is you are stocking, however, you definitely want to make sure you have enough for 2 weeks.

By the way, is there a certain neurological pathway governing "extreme paranoia" that opens up once someone passes the age of 60? My father has stocked up on enough canned and freeze-dried food, water, gasoline, oil, guns, ammo and everything else you can think of to keep a family of at least 20 good for 6 months.  And he gets more extreme every year.  My siblings and I make fun of him, but when it really hits the fans and zombies come knocking at our doors, I'm sure we'll all run to my parents' place :lol:

EDIT:  Most likely disasters in my area in order of most to least likely are wildfires, earthquakes and potentially flooding.

There is a point of view that hand crank devices are pretty poor way of generating energy.

Instead, a stack of rechargeable batteries and a solar panel.

Unless of course the disaster blocks out the Sun. In which case powering your electronics will be the least of your concerns.

I have a gas mask.

I didn't really want a gas mask, but not long after 9-11, I was working for a lady who kind of specialized in paranoia, so she bought us gas masks and charged us for them. A hundred bucks each.

I told her, "Now you need a pistol."

"A pistol? Why?" she says.

"Well, if it gets to where you need a gas mask just to stay alive, don't you think somebody will try to take the gas mask away from you?"

Don't know if she starting carrying a pistol or not. I was too busy thinking about updating my resume.

The worst things that could happen are bombs going off in multiple cities across the country that are big enough to make people flee. But unless the government crumbled it would not be a "The Road" type situation. But Yellowstone going off could cause a situtiation like that for at least a few weeks if not months in the areas affected. Not talking Cannibals but people willing to punch you in the face for a can of food.

Cash is useless - go with as much ammo as you can buy. Buy a water purifier too.

Cash is useless? What if you just have to evacuate or get hit by a sudden earthquake. It knocks out power and damages building but it doesn't crash the economy.

Cash is useless? What if you just have to evacuate or get hit by a sudden earthquake. It knocks out power and damages building but it doesn't crash the economy.

Did you see the earlier post about how old people stock up? Just go pistol whip granny and take her stuff. Maybe she was dumb enough to keep cash in her kit that you can take also.

Archived