Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Maryland Terrapins Thread

BRAVEONAWARPATH

7 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Give credit to Penn State.  This is as good as they’ve looked since 99.

I don't know about that.  1999 was quite awhile ago.  I mean, I know this isn't the Penn State thread, but consider the following:

2005:  Penn State is 11-1 and one bad referee decision from being 12-0 and a 3rd undefeated team along with USC and Texas.  Arguably the best defense in the nation that year.  Linebackers on that team included Paul Posluszny and Sean Lee, though Lee was just a freshman.  Also had Tamba Hali at Defensive End.

2008:  11-2.  Very good offense though no pros of real note.  Defense had Sean Lee and Navorro Bowman at LB, and Jared Odrick and Aaron Maybin on the D-Line.  Defense was a terror.

2016: The offense team.  Defense has no one of note in the pros, but this was the team that had Saquon Barkley and Miles Sanders at RB, as well as McSorely at QB.  Also Chris Godwin who is making a name for himself in Tampa right now.

Point being, this is a good, young Penn State team, but those three above all won the Big 10, and the 2005 team arguably should have played for the National Championship.  This team is only 3-0 (presumably 4-0) and hasn't accomplished a whole lot yet.  I'll wait to see how they do against Ohio State.

• Thanks 1

WE ARE - er did... leave at the half. 

ugh. Just terrible. Outclassed and made 0 plays. I’m still not sure what happened early with a “he grabbed the back of the helmet” face mask call? Huh? 

One day, the official’s mics will work at Maryland Stadium. Didn’t today, as usual. 

8 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I get the talent they played the first two weeks was subpar but how you can go from scoring like they did and just outright destroying opponents to this...is just wild.

Got film and learned that Jackson is a one read QB who can’t run very well. Stuff the box to keep the potent running game in check, and make Jackson beat you with his arm. Not gonna happen.

Not only does Locks need to recruit a good QB, he needs to get some fat boys that can play...on both sides of the ball. Listen to Fred Smoot!

Best I can say is: At least we’re not the Hokies, getting drug by Duke. 🙄

Edited by Long n Left
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, TheDoyler23 said:

WE ARE - er did... leave at the half. 

ugh. Just terrible. Outclassed and made 0 plays. I’m still not sure what happened early with a “he grabbed the back of the helmet” face mask call? Huh? 

One day, the official’s mics will work at Maryland Stadium. Didn’t today, as usual. 

That was actually the right call. There were a few others that were awful. It was bad enough watching your team get dominated. But terrible officiating makes it unwatchable. Penn State put the knife in MDs back, but the refs had fun taking turns twisting it. It’s not like MD hasn’t earned that reputation from the refs, this is the most undisciplined MD team I’ve seen in a long time. I just hate when they call things that don’t actually happen. Like when McFarland falls down on an INT return and they call that a low block. Penn State just utterly dominated MD on every play. MD still isn’t ready to play with the big boys in the B1G.

7 hours ago, justice98 said:

That Temple loss sucked my enthusiasm for last night's game and knocked some sense into me.  So I was a good 75% less disappointed by that display than I woulda been before that.

Same.

Just gotta accept that football is a sport im gonna be taking it on the chin in for awhile. Locksley needs a couple years to get this sorted out

• 2 weeks later...

I think continuity is a big issue for this team. 
There are players on the team that played for Edsall, Locks, Durkin, Canada and now Locks again but with different staff. Oof. And they have looked to patch a lot of their roster up with transfers. Talent sure, but not dudes that have put in the time together. 

Add in the injuries piling up and you can see how this hot start is melting down. 

This and the Temple game are gonna stick in their side for bit. 

20 minutes ago, TheDoyler23 said:

I think continuity is a big issue for this team. 
There are players on the team that played for Edsall, Locks, Durkin, Canada and now Locks again but with different staff. Oof. And they have looked to patch a lot of their roster up with transfers. Talent sure, but not dudes that have put in the time together. 

Add in the injuries piling up and you can see how this hot start is melting down. 

This and the Temple game are gonna stick in their side for bit. 

i agree that continuity is a big issue with this team and teams of the past few years. There is a lot of talent, but very little playing together. The coaching changes have a lot to do with that. And injuries too as you mentioned. It will be interesting to see what Locksley can do from here. I don't mean necessarily this year, but I mean beyond this year. We know he's a great recruiter, but how good is he at building a team. It will take some time, but I'm still hopeful he can do that. 

• Like 1

Preseason AP Top 25*

1. Michigan State (60)
2. Kentucky (2)
3. Kansas (3)
4. Duke
5. Louisville
6. Florida
7. Maryland
8. Gonzaga
9. North Carolina
10. Villanova
11. Virginia
12. Seton Hall
13. Texas Tech
14. Memphis
15. Oregon
16. Baylor
17. Utah State
18. Ohio State
19. Xavier
20. Saint Mary's (California)
21. Arizona
22. LSU
23. Purdue
24. Auburn
25. VCU

32 minutes ago, justice98 said:

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Maryland finishes outside the top 10.  

You may very well be correct, but I’ll go out on another limb and say, it won’t be because of lack of talent, especially if Marial comes back fit after the break. Top 10 talent on this team. Could be a make or break year for Turge.