Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Maryland Terrapins Thread

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Wish I could've watched Terps basketball tonight.  Not that I expected them to have any trouble with Holy Cross.  They didn't shoot very well from beyond the arc, Wiggins was 0-6 and Ayala was 1-6.  I expect that to change dramatically as the year progresses.  Obviously it was the first game.

• Like 1

Yeah, wasn’t about to spend $5 to watch em play Holy Cross myself. First reaction after seeing final stats was the same: “They shot like crap!” We know both Ayala and Wiggins are much better than that, so no cause for alarm. Biggest stat takeaway for me though was lack of turnovers. TOs killed them often last season, so if they take better care of the ball, should bode well. Oh, that, and Donta Scott’s line looked rather impressive.

Regarding the beatdown Ohio State put on the Terps: I would sarcastically ask if Maryland's happy they went to the Big 10 but considering the fat stacks they're getting from the conference's TV revenue, the answer is surely a sincere and emphatic "yes." Who knew getting your ass whooped could be so lucrative? 

Edited by thebluefood

All in all, a good win over a solid Rhode Island team that may make the tourney. The sloppy early play was concerning, but it is early, and the veteran RI side looked equally as sloppy second half. This team is very talented, and very deep. If they click on together, they will be a tough out for anyone. And, if Chol comes back fit for the second half of the season, this team could make a LOT of noise.

Shooting is the big concern now, as Cowan, Wiggins, and Ayala all looked a bit off it again last night. Missed too many freebies as well. I like that they’re trying to up the tempo, since they’ve got such depth, they can continually bring in fresh legs. Caveat is, they need to be stronger on the boards. Stix doesn’t seem to like mixing it up with the strong guys inside, though he looks MUCH bigger and more solid than last year. Was hoping the Mitchell twins would bring that toughness, but they both looked a bit timid. They’re young, so there is plenty of time to grow into it.

Really liked what I saw from Scott. Dude is a monster...full on grown ass man body already, and has some athleticism and range. Kid looks like he could be a star in the making. Can play the perimeter, and is a more than willing defender and rebounder. 

This is a HUGE year for Turge. He’s got a stable of thoroughbreds that he needs to get over the line. Anything less than. Sweet 16 or final 8 appearance would be a major disappointment. Enjoyed watching such a talented Terp squad. Just keeping my fingers crossed for a full Marial recovery by Christmas.

Edited by Long n Left

Regarding the football team. I would feel much better about this season had they beat Temple, like they should have, and had they beat Indiana, which I don't think they should lose to Indiana either. We know they aren't good enough to compete with Penn State, Michigan, and Ohio State. That doesn't even count Minnesota who is probably the second best team in the conference. So these blowout losses where these teams are trying to make a point, it is what it is. But losing earlier to the teams they should beat really makes this season disappointing. 

• 2 weeks later...

I got to watch the basketball team for the first time tonight. They have so much talent on this team. But watching them, they have no structure and no game plan. Maybe because it's Fairfield they didn't need one. But I fear I'll be saying the same thing when they play Iowa or Illinois, much less Michigan State and Ohio State. 

Also, I don't know what the official attendance was tonight, but the crowd shots looked similar to Fed Ex field this past Sunday. There seemed to be almost no one there. Even the student section was small and not very loud. Has Turgeon really killed the program that much that a team ranked #6 can't get a good crowd for these early season games? 

1 minute ago, Redskin4ever said:

I got to watch the basketball team for the first time tonight. They have so much talent on this team. But watching them, they have no structure and no game plan. Maybe because it's Fairfield they didn't need one. But I fear I'll be saying the same thing when they play Iowa or Illinois, much less Michigan State and Ohio State. 

Also, I don't know what the official attendance was tonight, but the crowd shots looked similar to Fed Ex field this past Sunday. There seemed to be almost no one there. Even the student section was small and not very loud. Has Turgeon really killed the program that much that a team ranked #6 can't get a good crowd for these early season games? 

I watched most of the game.  I agree the offense kind of looks uneven at times, but they were running screens and trying to get open shooters.  Ayala profited from a few of those screens, he is such a good shooter.  Stix got some post ups too. 

I agree the crowd was a bit sparse, but I think because it was Fairfield most people stayed home.  I'm not sure about the students.

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't realize McFarland had redshirted his freshman year and was draft eligible. Good for him for declaring. I doubt there is any more value he can add to his draft stock that he can't add during the combine and his pro day. I think he can be really good in the pros.  

Leake I think can be good too, but I think he will be most valuable as a kick returner. Clearly he can do that, so hopefully he gets that shot. 

Also, great win by the basketball team tonight. I know Notre Dame isn't great, but this was a showcase game on ESPN and they looked like a top 5 team beating on an unranked team. That's all we can ask for at this point in the season. 

• Thanks 1

Only got to watch the first half of the game yesterday, as I had a date down the street to watch the Wahoos get drug up and down Mint and Morehead streets.

Looked like the same old flaws were evident. Poor shooting when Cowan is off, non-inventive Offensive sets, lack of physicality on the glass. Glad to see they overcame, and got the win. Gonna be nights you don’t play well, but you gotta find a way to win.

Biggest problem this Terps team has is in the backcourt. They need another quality ball handler and distributor. Ayala is NOT a PG, and Cowan is a shoot first PG. Turge needs to address this in recruiting. There should be AT LEAST a couple PGs coming in next year.

This squad is uber talented though. If Marial makes it back for the second half, skys the limit.

On another note, watched the girls play NC St start to finish, and was woefully unimpressed. They lack athleticism in the backcourt, and basketball nous in the frontcourt. This team will probably not even make the sweet 16 this year. Diamond Miller looks like a real quality player though. Shakira gotta do some work on her low post moves. A girl that big and athletic should easily score 20+ a game.

2 hours ago, skinfan2k said:

i went to the game last night and it proved one thing to me.  This team has 0 inside presence.  It's a jump shooting team that can play great defense.  They will get killed by teams with legit bigs. 

I was thinking the same thing. Well, they have the bodies but those guys need to throw themselves in there a little harder. I'll always remember Diamond Stone getting backed down by much smaller guys and have worried its a system/coaching issue. These are the games they need to bully teams they are physically tougher than.

Glad they won. That comeback also is a credit to their vets and coaching. Would like to see them come out and just roll from start to finish.

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.testudotimes.com/maryland-terps-football-recruiting/2019/12/18/21028250/rakim-jarrett-flips-to-maryland-5-star-receiver-lsu-commit-early-signing-day-2020-class

5-star WR Rakim Jarrett flips to Maryland football

The St. John’s product had been a longtime LSU commit, but decided to stay home.

By Wesley Brown@W_Brown21  Dec 18, 2019, 11:53am EST

Mike Locksley promised to keep the top talent home when he became Maryland football’s head coach last year. Heading into early National Signing Day, that didn’t seem like it would be the case for the 2020 class.

But he pulled off quite the surprise Wednesday, as five-star wide receiver Rakim Jarrett flipped from LSU to officially sign with Maryland football.

Jarrett is listed as the No. 20 player in the nation and No. 2 wide receiver, per the 247Sports Composite. 

- link for more

• Like 2