Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Maryland Terrapins Thread

BRAVEONAWARPATH

So, less than half a season in, the Mitchell twins leave the Maryland basketball program. This has to be the death knell for Turgeon. Rumblings in the program of trouble, then Cowan tries to smooth it over, but, obviously there are issues. Turgeon is a good guy, by all accounts, and has been a good recruiter, but the program needs a reboot, IMO. If I’m Damon Evans, I’ve got Kevin Willard on speed dial.

• Thanks 1

On 12/28/2019 at 4:46 PM, Long n Left said:

So, less than half a season in, the Mitchell twins leave the Maryland basketball program. This has to be the death knell for Turgeon. Rumblings in the program of trouble, then Cowan tries to smooth it over, but, obviously there are issues. Turgeon is a good guy, by all accounts, and has been a good recruiter, but the program needs a reboot, IMO. If I’m Damon Evans, I’ve got Kevin Willard on speed dial.

Seems like this is a bit of a seesaw, as the twins don’t sound like the best teammates, and mom seems a bit of a loose cannon as well. I can see Turgeon’s side in letting them go, but I also hold him accountable for bringing in players who may not fit personality wise too. After the disasters of the football program, this kind of distraction is not what the Maryland sports program needs. Evans is a new AD, though he was there as assistant, so he may want to bring in “his” guy. We’ll see.

3 minutes ago, Long n Left said:

Seems like this is a bit of a seesaw, as the twins don’t sound like the best teammates, and mom seems a bit of a loose cannon as well. I can see Turgeon’s side in letting them go, but I also hold him accountable for bringing in players who may not fit personality wise too. After the disasters of the football program, this kind of distraction is not what the Maryland sports program needs. Evans is a new AD, though he was there as assistant, so he may want to bring in “his” guy. We’ll see.

"Allegedly", Evans is not a fan of Turgeon.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think this Maryland team is that deep.  There is a big fall off after the starting 5.  I don't think Serrel Smith or Ricky Lindo are that good.  Marial isn't in game shape yet, and Ayala is erratic.  Wiggins has taken a step back this year.  The Mitchell twins may not have been that good, but at least they were some big bodies that could guard the rim and rebound.

Still a good team, but they don't shoot well enough to make a deep run.  Cowan and Stix have to play well for them to even have a chance.  I hope Marial can develop some offensive game and Wiggins can turn it around.

The more B1G basketball I watch, the more I’m astounded at how poor the officiating is. Every game I watch, I have at least a half dozen instances of thinking, “WTF are you seeing?” Easily the worst group of officials in major college ball. The inconsistency is maddening.

Of course, watching a Turgeon coached team may be even more maddening.

Edited by Long n Left

18 minutes ago, Long n Left said:

The more B1G basketball I watch, the more I’m astounded at how poor the officiating is. Every game I watch, I have at least a half dozen instances of thinking, “WTF are you seeing?” Easily the worst group of officials in major college ball. The inconsistency is maddening.

Of course, watching a Turgeon coached team may be even more maddening.

Watching Turgeon is much more maddening. I can't recall seeing a coach that has wasted more talent than this guy. Sadly he will probably win just enough to keep his job, but I'm hoping someone in the athletic department wakes up and can see what most fans have seen for years.  

Refs screwed us.  The Wiggins charge around 4:00 was bull****, it was a blocking foul, and even if the defender was stationary his foot was on the restricted arc line.  Then the out of bounds call with 2:00 was baffling.  Are they not allowed to review that?  I thought the refs had discretion to review whenever they wanted.  Such crap.

Morsell has to be smarter there, he had tunnel-vision on Cowan.  Look elsewhere or call timeout.  Then he got beat on the following play.  He had a bad game.

Still too many turnovers.  The offense woke up that second half.  Offense needs to be in Cowan's hands every possession.  Dribble penetration, shoot if you got the shot, or find the open guy.  When Wiggins is playing aggressive and making shots this is a much better team.  Still too many turnovers, that needs to change like right now.  And I wish Ayala could make an open three.

Edited by abdcskins

8 hours ago, abdcskins said:

Refs screwed us.  The Wiggins charge around 4:00 was bull****, it was a blocking foul, and even if the defender was stationary his foot was on the restricted arc line.  Then the out of bounds call with 2:00 was baffling.  Are they not allowed to review that?  I thought the refs had discretion to review whenever they wanted.  Such crap.

Morsell has to be smarter there, he had tunnel-vision on Cowan.  Look elsewhere or call timeout.  Then he got beat on the following play.  He had a bad game.

Still too many turnovers.  The offense woke up that second half.  Offense needs to be in Cowan's hands every possession.  Dribble penetration, shoot if you got the shot, or find the open guy.  When Wiggins is playing aggressive and making shots this is a much better team.  Still too many turnovers, that needs to change like right now.  And I wish Ayala could make an open three.

You’re hitting on why this is a flawed team, IMO. They just don’t have any quality ball handlers outside of Cowan, and he is a shoot first PG, that is a below average passer off the drive. Of course, I don’t see enough cutters when he does drive, which is a coaching issue, always has been since Turge has been here. 

If you have Eric Ayala running the offense, you have a BIG problem. He is almost strictly a catch and shoot 3-pointer wing player, who can drive to the basket in a pinch. Again, like Cowan, he is not a good passer off the dribble. As a matter of fact, this entire team lacks passing acumen. Again, a coaching problem. 

The other large problem I see with the coaching of this team, outside of the uninventive and passive offense (which is dead horse beating), is the lack of player development. Almost to a man, every player that has come through this program in the Turge era is the same player when he leaves, as when he came in. 

This team started the year with legitimate Final Four talent. I will be surprised if they even make the Sweet 16. Evans MUST do something this offseason, and he must not hesitate. Turgeon has never overachieved any season here, and unless he makes the Final Four, this year will be no different.

Terps get a win in a hard fought last 5 minutes of a game they should have won by 20+. Turge decides to start working the clock, up 7 with 4:30+ left. Absolutely nuts. Only things that helped him were that Purdue could not shoot today, and Stix brought his MAN game. Watching this team feels like penance.

#KevinWillard2020Terp

• Thanks 1

I thought the defense was excellent all game.  Stix had one of his best games, he shut down the Purdue big men and rebounded very well.  Hit some big shots too, he's starting to move better without the ball and find his spaces.  His jumper has gotten better too.  Wiggins is starting to find his shot and become more assertive driving the ball.  And Scott beasted offensively and defensively.  Team has a bad habit of having long cold stretches where they can't hit anything, which is what happened in the second half.  Missed tons of open shots.  Coaching can only help so much, guys need to make shots.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, abdcskins said:

I thought the defense was excellent all game.  Stix had one of his best games, he shut down the Purdue big men and rebounded very well.  Hit some big shots too, he's starting to move better without the ball and find his spaces.  His jumper has gotten better too.  Wiggins is starting to find his shot and become more assertive driving the ball.  And Scott beasted offensively and defensively.  Team has a bad habit of having long cold stretches where they can't hit anything, which is what happened in the second half.  Missed tons of open shots.  Coaching can only help so much, guys need to make shots.

Defense was solid, and that’s how they’re going to win games mainly, has been that way throughout the Turgeon tenure.

They are not a good shooting team, stats don’t lie, and coach has to understand that. They shoot 41%, 30% from three. How do you better the percentage? Take better shots. When you have a double digit lead inside 10 minutes left, running a weave 25 feet from the basket that uses half the shot clock before even starting to attack, leads to more long, and contested shots. 

Guys do have to make shots, but coaches have to run sets and plays that will put them in position to get good shots. THAT is where Maryland fails under Turgeon, repeatedly.

I thought this was a game Maryland should have won comfortably, but due to poor management, was made much closer than need be. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Long n Left said:

They are not a good shooting team, stats don’t lie, and coach has to understand that. They shoot 41%, 30% from three. How do you better the percentage? Take better shots. When you have a double digit lead inside 10 minutes left, running a weave 25 feet from the basket that uses half the shot clock before even starting to attack, leads to more long, and contested shots. 

They definitely slowed the game down the last 5-6 minutes. Lots of dribbling and passing beyond the arc. I'm not sure that was necessarily a bad thing considering the score and situation. 

I agree I would like to see them run more set plays. It's hard to tell when that happens, the only one that is obvious is when Cowan drives and then feeds Stix for an alley oop once the help comes. I like that play haha. In general I think most plays should involve Cowan & Smith playing inside out. I do believe Wiggins and Ayala are better set shooters. Doesn't mean they should stand still, but I like when they can get open threes. Ayala occasionally will show nice ability to drive and score with footwork and strength, he's been a bit hesitant this year.