Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Maryland Terrapins Thread

BRAVEONAWARPATH

I'm very much a believer in the adage that a team will take on the character/personality of its coach.

This Maryland team with all its dribble at the top of the key for 15+ seconds while one big tries to get position, and the other 3 stand around, has shown no heart, and that, IMO, is squarely on Turgeon.

Their lack of rebounding despite almost always having a decided height advantage; their lackadaisical defending, worrying more about help defense than actually guarding your man (too many open looks due to sloughing off your man, or not fighting over screens). These are things accomplished through heart, hustle, and determination, things that should be instilled by a coach from day 1.

If you watched UVA last night, you saw those things. UVA has a couple neat players, but I'll argue that their roster is FAR down the list in individual talent, yet Bennett has them playing great basketball.

This, specifically, is why I'm so disappointed in this Terp team. The collective talent is as good as any team the Terps have had, I believe, rivaling the early 70's teams with McMillan, Elmore, and Lucas. The expectations were, and should have been, high for this team, yet they have disappointed at every turn this season, and to me it boils down to heart, or lack thereof. I take Turgeon to task for that.

I agree with a lot of your points and believe the blame does fall mostly on Turgeon. However, using UVA last night as an example is a bad one. They lost yesterday for the same reason MD lost. They went on a long scoring drought late in the game. UVA missed 12 shots in a row at one point and was 2-20 while UNC went on a 15-2 run to take control of the game late. (This was all within the last 10 minutes of the game.) That's pretty much what MD did as well.

Yes, Tony Bennett is a much better coach than Turgeon. That's why he has been a consistent winner at UVA. But they lost last night because they couldn't score late, just like MD.

MD has one last shot to make some noise. I'll be interested to see what their matchups and potential matchups will be.

Edited by Redskin4ever

When you're an inconsistent offensive team like Maryland is(and inconsistent is putting it nicely), you're ripe for an upset. All it takes is one hot shooting mid major that has that one guy who hits five 3s and you're one and done.

Turgeon is the definition of mediocre. With Gary this team rolls to the Final Four.

I agree with a lot of your points and believe the blame does fall mostly on Turgeon. However, using UVA last night as an example is a bad one. They lost yesterday for the same reason MD lost. They went on a long scoring drought late in the game. UVA missed 12 shots in a row at one point and was 2-20 while UNC went on a 15-2 run to take control of the game late. (This was all within the last 10 minutes of the game.) That's pretty much what MD did as well.

Not really what I'm talking about at all. Teams are gonna have stretches in games where shots aren't falling. That's basketball.

What UVA does is compete, balls out, from whistle to horn. They battle in straight up in your face man to man on defense, they crash the boards on both ends, and they hustle non stop. That's a reflection of their coach, and things the Terps fail to do throughout games, and why inferior teams have been able to hang with them, and beat them.

UVA doesn't have near the talent that either UNC or UMD have, but I think they beat UNC 5 times out of 10, and UMD 7 times out of 10.

Also, IMO, the Terps lost yesterday because Melo stunk out loud...again. He's managed to play himself out of millions of $ this season. I think he really needs to come back for his junior season...he may not even get drafted in the 1st round of the NBA Draft this year.

Edited by Long n Left

No respect to any of the B1G. MD as a 5 is about right. I can't argue with that. But Mich St was screwed as a 2. They should have been a 1. They have been one of the best teams in the country all year, except when Valentine was out. Indiana and Purdue also 5 seeds. Iowa a 7. At least Michigan got in. But otherwise, no respect for the conference.

Edited by Redskin4ever

Terps will roll in this one unless SDS shoots 70% from the arc.  They have zero inside presence, just work the ball to Stone and Carter. MD got a perfect 1st round opponent, IMO.  

Working the ball to Stone and Carter could have been beneficial numerous times this season and either didn't gameplan it or the players didn't execute it.

http://maryland.247sports.com/Bolt/Maryland-Recruit-Kevin-Huerter-Named-New-Yorks-Mr-Basketball-44169742

Maryland Recruit Kevin Huerter Named New York's Mr. Basketball

Huerter, a 6-foot-7 guard from Shenendehowa High in Clifton Park, N.Y., is averaging 22.5 points per game, 8.3 rebounds per game and 7.2 assists per game while leading the Plainsmen (24-0) to a perfect record and a second consecutive New York State Public High School Athletic Association Final Four. The second-leading scorer and leading assist man in his school's history, he beat out Long Island Lutheran’s Devonte Green (Indiana), Greece Athena’s Anthony Lamb (Vermont) and Jefferson's Shamorie Ponds (St. John's).

"It doesn't surprise me. They've had a heck of a year, they're undefeated, they're in the semis now and he's a heck of a player .His best days are ahead of him. He's young; he should just be a junior. He's going to be a terrific player," said Maryland coach Mark Turgeon, who teamed with assistant Dustin Clark to beat Syracuse, Notre Dame, Villanova and others for Huerter's commitment. He's rated the No. 66 prospect overall and 11th-best shooting guard in the Class of 2016 in the 247Sports Composite Rankings.

Huerter, who turns 18 in August, stood 6-foot-5 this time last year, when he led his school to its first state championship, but has grown closer to 6-foot-7 -- meaning he could play multiple positions at Maryland. He and fellow guard recruit Anthony Cowan are expected to contribute immediately next year for the Terps, who lose senior starters Jake Layman and Rasheed Sulaimon and could lose starting point guard Melo Trimble to the NBA Draft.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH