Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Maryland Terrapins Thread

BRAVEONAWARPATH

I've always wondered what truly makes someone a great recruiter, particularly someone who is not a head coach or even a coordinator.

I'm assuming its access to money, drugs and strippers.

Kickbacks to local coaches.  Shoes.  And of course, money, drugs, and strippers.

It's pretty obvious that his delivery of Diggs and Hall sealed his job at Bama.  He is very good at what he does. But he is also not the only fish in the pond anymore.  It will get dirty.

Based on the title, offensive analyst, I was thinking more along the lines of Saban agreed to simply put him on the payroll if he delivered Diggs and Hall.  I can't imagine he'll be doing much coaching.

Yeah, Locks' position is a non-coaching one.

He can't even recruit off campus for Bama.

This is basically a move just to stay in the game while waiting for better opportunities.

Good read.

Click to read the rest

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/writer/jon-solomon/25500623/why-dj-durkin-hired-three-ex-head-coaches-as-maryland-assistants

Why DJ Durkin hired three ex-head coaches as Maryland assistants

New Maryland coach DJ Durkin swears he never planned to fill his first staff with so many former head coaches.

“I wanted a staff that -- I don't know the right way to say it -- they're all like real guys,” Durkin said.

In the process, Durkin hired three assistants who led FBS programs just last season -- Syracuse's Scott Shafer, Virginia's Mike London and Ball State's Pete Lembo. Hiring Lembo was the most unusual move. Unlike Shafer and London, Lembo wasn't fired from his old job, so he took a pay cut to go from sitting in the head coaches' chair to coaching special teams and tight ends.

It's quite a unique supporting cast for the Big Ten's youngest head coach. Durkin, 38, inherited one of the toughest jobs in a Power Five conference. He surrounded himself with 26 years of FBS head-coaching experience to try to make Maryland, which he calls a “sleeping giant,” more than a punching bag in the brutally competitive Big Ten East Division.

“I don't want a bunch of ‘yes sir' guys,” Durkin said. “I want guys that have ideas and are willing to speak up about them and are willing to speak from experience about those ideas. At the end of the day, we're going to do it the way I want to do it, but I like hearing new ways of thinking.”

This is certainly a new line of thinking. None of the four Maryland coaches could recall ever hearing of a situation with three assistants who were FBS head coaches just a couple months ago.

“That tells you a lot about Coach Durkin,” Shafer said. “He's a selfless person. He's got no ego.”

As he searched for coaches, Durkin determined he didn't want to pigeon-hole his staff into roles. He doesn't like when staffs have certain assistants who are only recruiters and others who are only coaches.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

http://maryland.247sports.com/Bolt/Maryland-Wide-Receiver-Amba-Etta-Tawo-Set-to-Transfer-44025640

Maryland Wide Receiver Amba Etta-Tawo Set to Transfer

Maryland wide receiver Amba Etta-Tawo announced on Tuesday evening that he will transfer and finish his football career elsewhere. He told InsideMDSports.com he plans to graduate from Maryland in May and look to play at another school immediately as a graduate transfer.

Etta-Tawo, a Georgia native, made starts in each of the past three seasons for the Terps, totaling 61 catches for 938 yards and three touchdowns. His most productive season came in 2013 as a redshirt freshmen, when he caught 31 passes for 500 yards and two touchdowns.

At 6-foot-1 with speed, Etta-Tawo proved to be a big play threat but was never able to stay on the field consistently and struggled at times with drops. He committed to the Terps as a three-star recruit back in 2012 over Clemson, Georgia Tech, N.C. State and Vanderbilt.

Maryland is expected to return the rest of its wide receiver unit from last season. In addition to key returnees Levern Jacobs, Taivon Jacobs, D.J. Moore, DeAndre Lane, Malcolm Culmer and Jahrvis Davenport, the Terps also bring in four-star recruits Tino Ellis and D.J Turner. Etta-Tawo lost his starting spot to Moore, a promising rising sophomore, two games into last season..

Click to read the rest

http://maryland.247sports.com/Bolt/DJ-Durkins-Defenses-Among-Nations-Stingiest-44037709

D.J. Durkin's Defenses Among Nation's Stingiest

D.J. Durkin's defenses have been the fifth-stingiest in college football during the past five years, according to stats compiled by CoachingSearch.com. Durkin's defenses at Florida and Michigan allowed 19.5 points per game, ranking behind only Kirby Smart (Alabama), Dave Aranda (Utah State/Wisconsin), Jeremy Pruitt (Florida State/Georgia) and Derek Mason (Stanford/Vanderbilt).

The natural question here, of course, is how the success of the Terps' first-year head coach at those schools, which sign top talent perennially, will translate at a Maryland program that doesn't recruit on a similarly elite level. But there's plenty of room for improvement after Maryland allowed 34.4 points per game last season, ranking No. 103 out of 124 Football Bowl Series teams. Last year, his only as Michigan's defensive coordinator, Durkin's defense allowed less than half of that total (16.4 points per game), a number tidied by the Wolverines' 28-0 shutout win over Maryland in College Park.

How will Maryland's defensive schemes change under Durkin? That remains to be seen. He's known for using a variety of alignments based on his personnel, but one constant is he relies heavily on his defensive backs both in man-to-man coverage and blitzing. Last year, Michigan's defensive backs ranked ninth nationally in "havoc rate," a measure of tackles for loss, forced fumbles and passes defended.

Turgeon said Melo told him that tonight was the best he has felt in six weeks. #Terps

We absolutely need the real Melo to return if we are to be taken seriously.  Probably as important, getting Layman and Carter into the games early and often.  Something still tells me Layman will end up on a milk carton during a big game, but hope not.

I'm glad they pounded Illinois last night. I hope that gives them some confidence heading to Indiana. I don't expect them to win that game, but I know they can. Either way, they need some confidence heading into the B1G tournament and let that springboard them into the big dance.