Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Texas-Tech Boy / Girl Fight and Suspensions

Major Harris

I said nothing about losing to a chic. Re-read my post. It says "losing IT".

You said there was no reason for men to want to play against women. I was giving reasons why some men don't mind playing against women or having women on their teams. Maybe you should re-read what you wrote.

I hope you punished him by taking him out for ice cream. :P

the principal took him out for steak and shrimp :lol: ,back when I went there he beat me like a rented mule. :blink:   

You said there was no reason for men to want to play against women. I was giving reasons why some men don't mind playing against women or having women on their teams. Maybe you should re-read what you wrote.

I said no reason except for the Lady Vols example I gave. If you had kept up with the entire thread, you'd know what had been said.

This.

And I'll also add: wtf was he doing playing a pick up game with girls? I don't care how good a women's player she is, he shouldn't have even been playing against her.

My point is, this guy had nothing to prove (or gain), by playing against her. Nothing good could come from it. Not only should you not hit women, you shouldn't compete against them in sports. BAD IDEA!

You missed the point of my post.

I wasn't saying that men shouldn't play against women, out of fear that some guy would lose it and start swinging at a chic. My point is, there's no reason for any guy to WANT to play vs them.

Again, there's nothing to be gained by a man playing a chic.

Men and women don't belong on the same court (aside from the example I mentioned earlier). Can't believe this is even up for debate.

I hope your game backpedaling is better than your posting backpedaling.  And by the way, the disparaging term for a woman is "chick."  "Chic," pronounced "sheek," is an adjective that means stylish.

I hope your game backpedaling is better than your posting backpedaling.  And by the way, the disparaging term for a woman is "chick."  "Chic," pronounced "sheek," is an adjective that means stylish.

Glad you caught that.  Two guys in ES that are very intelligent, but damn, they can never admit when they are wrong is Bubble Screen and Darrellgreenie.  Stubborn dudes.

For what it's worth, I am a terrible basketball player who would pretty easily get clowned by any half competent female and wouldn't think much of it.  Baseball though...**** tries to hit my fastball and we have a problem. ;)

Glad you caught that. Two guys in ES that are very intelligent, but damn, they can never admit when they are wrong is Bubble Screen and Darrellgreenie. Stubborn dudes.

I think it was just a case where a poster 1. Didn't keep up with the thread. 2. Misinterpreted what I wrote/was trying to say.

Not a big deal.

For what it's worth, I am a terrible basketball player who would pretty easily get clowned by any half competent female and wouldn't think much of it. Baseball though...**** tries to hit my fastball and we have a problem. ;)

Thats the problem with a lot of guys (not you). They suck at basketball, so they think women that can play well (against women) can hang with guys that can play.

That just isn't true.

This reminds me of a story which really isn't related but won't fit anywhere else, and it's fun to remember these things.  Folks who aren't from Northern Virginia, specifically the mid 90's, probably will have no idea what I'm talking about.  The high school I went to, McLean, was not known as a basketball hotbed, the furthest thing from it.  At the time of this story, I think it was my sophomore year, 95 or 96, Madison high school in Vienna was the local powerhouse in women's basketball.

I read the Washington Post box scores and would notice this last name with way too many consonants popping up in every Madison score, Smrcka-Duffy.  She was constantly putting in 30+ every single game.  My friends and I were pretty school spirited, went to many games even if we weren't friends with anyone in particular, and we made a point of going to McLean's home game with Madison visiting, as much to check out this girl as anything.

During warm-ups, I tried to guess which one she was, and I was wrong.  Madison had another girl that had the look of a serious basketball player, and would wind up being a star a few years later, but this wasn't her time.  I did not guess that this Smrcka-Duffy girl would be the unassuming looking 5'8" redhead with the ponytail.  Until the game started anyway.  This girl was a monster.  Not only did she wrestle away seemingly every rebound, but she MADE. IT. RAIN.  She could not miss from deep.  It got to the point, probably midway through the second quarter, where we started cheering for her instead of our own school.  She had to have cracked 40 points.  I don't remember the exact final score, but I believe Madison broke 100, which is pretty much unheard of in high school women's basketball.  It was an out and out slaughter.  It remains to this day the most dominant performance I have ever seen in a women's game, at any level.

I know she played college ball at Georgetown and I think she got drafted to the WNBA, but I have no idea what happened after that.  I guess to tie it in to this thread by saying that this girl could probably have made almost every guy on the board look stupid.

And while searching for information, I came across this.  Apparently back in 2012, she was named the 18th most dominant athlete in area history.

http://www.connection-sports.com/news/2012/aug/07/top-100-katie-smrcka-duffy-madison-basketball-1996/

So one person fouled another person "hard." The person who got fouled shoved the fouler. The fouler then punched the foulee in the nose and broke bones. The one who threw a punch has been kicked out of school and the one who pushed has been suspended from extracurricular activities through November.

I'm failing to see a problem with this. Sounds pretty fair to me.

Expulsion. Not because he punched her. But because she boxed him out and he got mad about it.

Could you please provide support for your assertion that, if he had gotten mad and NOT punched her, he would have been expelled?

I have to say after watching the tape it didnt look good for either of them. That was a pretty serious push she gave the guy and she was truly stepping to him. His punch looked reactionary. I think I've changed my mind on this

I've shoved plenty of people and been shoved plenty after a hard foul. Usually it's a one handed deal and you usually say something like "chill the f out man" or something. You're letting the guy know you don't want to fight but you're also letting him know you're not going to be his court **** either

She full on shoves the guy and gets in his face, he punches her back, once. Seems like if they are going to kick him out of the schoo she needs to be gone too.

I have to say after watching the tape it didnt look good for either of them. That was a pretty serious push she gave the guy and she was truly stepping to him. His punch looked reactionary. I think I've changed my mind on this

I've shoved plenty of people and been shoved plenty after a hard foul. Usually it's a one handed deal and you usually say something like "chill the f out man" or something. You're letting the guy know you don't want to fight but you're also letting him know you're not going to be his court **** either

She full on shoves the guy and gets in his face, he punches her back, once. Seems like if they are going to kick him out of the schoo she needs to be gone too.

I don't agree.  Looked to me like she gave him a pretty minor basketball shove, and he cold cawked her.   

Eye of the beholder.

I don't agree.  Looked to me like she gave him a pretty minor basketball shove, and he cold cawked her.   

Eye of the beholder.

That's not a "basketball shove", it wasn't in the flow of the game. Everyone had stopped playing, and she shoved him when, IMO, it was completely unwarranted. She got the rebound, and all he did was stand behind her and put his hands up. I have no idea what was happening before that part of the game to make her react that way, but she was in the wrong for initiating it and she's admitted as much. 

I don't think either of them should've been expelled, both suspended. I agree with zoony, his punch looked like more reaction than intentional harm. It even looked like he realized how wrong he was when he started walking away and didn't pursue her. After reading the article in the OP, I was under the assumption he pummeled her. I am not defending his actions, not in the slightest, he deserves his punishment and he needs to learn some self-control and hopefully this experience teaches him how to handle himself better. 

I recall in college, our women's bball team used to come to the open gym for pickup ball against men since the CAA outlawed a women's program using men scout teams. They would come in popping off at the mouth, throwing elbows after every rebound, fouling everyone they checked, and none of us paid it any mind. They were overcompensating, we knew it, and none of us lost our cool and knocked one of them out. Too bad Nigel wasn't mature enough to do the same. 

That's not a "basketball shove", it wasn't in the flow of the game. Everyone had stopped playing, and she shoved him when, IMO, it was completely unwarranted. She got the rebound, and all he did was stand behind her and put his hands up. I have no idea what was happening before that part of the game to make her react that way, but she was in the wrong for initiating it and she's admitted as much. 

I don't think either of them should've been expelled, both suspended. I agree with zoony, his punch looked like more reaction than intentional harm. It even looked like he realized how wrong he was when he started walking away and didn't pursue her. After reading the article in the OP, I was under the assumption he pummeled her. I am not defending his actions, not in the slightest, he deserves his punishment and he needs to learn some self-control and hopefully this experience teaches him how to handle himself better. 

Agreed. With the OP, I thought I was going to see him sitting on top of her just beating the **** out of her.  This was far removed from that.

But yeah, grand jury declined to indict him and even wrote a letter to the AD asking that he be reinstated and given the same punishment as her:

http://www.kcbd.com/story/26026200/grand-jury-clears-bethel-recommends-reinstatement-to-football-program

FTR, we were both in hs at the time. Also dated a tall chic in my early 20s, who was good in hs. Same outcome.

Men and women don't belong on the same court (aside from the example I mentioned earlier). Can't believe this is even up for debate.

If a man and a woman mutually agree to play one another in basketball, then guess what?  They belong on a court together.  I don't think your opinion has any bearing in that situation whatsoever.

That is what I can't believe is being debated.

Predicto have you played much pickup basketball?

I play weekly. He was walking towards her and she took a step back before he punched her. That's my take anyway. The shove was after the play but it's not unheard of. I've seen that shove 20 times in the last year, I've seen a punch thrown once in the same time frame and it didn't even follow a shove. Some kid screamed right in some other guys face and got a mouth full of fist for his trouble. Anyway, point is I don't think it was necessary. Sports get heated and there is shoving after plays sometimes. It's exactly like she said she initiated it with a shove and he broke her face.

I play weekly. He was walking towards her and she took a step back before he punched her. That's my take anyway. The shove was after the play but it's not unheard of. I've seen that shove 20 times in the last year, I've seen a punch thrown once in the same time frame and it didn't even follow a shove. Some kid screamed right in some other guys face and got a mouth full of fist for his trouble. Anyway, point is I don't think it was necessary. Sports get heated and there is shoving after plays sometimes. It's exactly like she said she initiated it with a shove and he broke her face.

They are both idiots, they should both receive the same punishment..

unless you are playing in state prisons I seriously doubt you see that kind of escalation once a week. I grew up playing in navy gyms I have seen that kind of shove and escalation myself, and it always ends up in a fight. Shoving I saw happen all the time. That bull**** in that video wasn't shoving, IT WAS PICKING A FIGHT.

And If you play a lot of basketball you should ****ing know that you don't two hand shove and get in the face of a mother****ing division 1 college football blue chip recruit. Unless this girl was just ****ing dumb. Wait, I think I just answered my own question

She was either picking a fight or she was sure he wouldn't hit her so she could do whatever. Either way she went to far. And he did the wrong thing too. Again, idiocy x2.

Archived