Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Texas-Tech Boy / Girl Fight and Suspensions

Major Harris

I was just reading about this. 

Nigel Bethel is (was) a freshaman defensive back for the Texas Tech Red Raiders.  He allegedly (apparently) beat the crap out of Amber Battle, a senior women's basketball player who led the team in points, rebounds and assists last year.  This happened during a pick up basketball game.

Now, it comes out that Amber Battle initiated all of it, making first contact with Bethel.

Texas Tech has "zero-tolerance" policy.  So Bethel is kicked off the team, and his scholarship is withdrawn.  Battle is suspended for the month of November.

Read here:

http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/11176549/amber-battle-texas-tech-red-raiders-suspended-role-fight

So is this a double standard?  Do we treat men and women equally in these scenarios?  Should we?

I do openly wonder what would have happened had we reversed the roles.  Another thought is that she is their best player; he is an incoming freshman.  But he was their highest rated recruit.

#yesallwomen

I wonder whether it's a question of lines. No one has the right to assault another person. After that, there is severity. Haven't read the article, but did he continue the assault after she was helpless? To me, that would matter.

If she slaps him and he slaps her back then it's the same. If she punches him or shoves him and then he punches and shoves back, but after she is down continues to beat or kick or uses a weapon then different penalties are warranted.

It was a pickup basketball game. She pushed him after what she felt was a hard foul. He punched her in the face and broke a bone.

No double standard, dude acted a fool.

This.

And I'll also add: wtf was he doing playing a pick up game with girls? I don't care how good a women's player she is, he shouldn't have even been playing against her.

I still remember in hs this "star" pg on the women's team in my neighborhood kept challenging me to a pick up game. I basically laughed, thinking this chick couldn't hang with me. Anyway, she kept on and on, so I finally played her. Totally humiliated her in front of everyone (she barely even got a shot off on me, much less scored).

My point is, this guy had nothing to prove (or gain), by playing against her. Nothing good could come from it. If he shuts her down...well, he's supposed to. If she makes him look bad, then he is embarrassed.

No sympathy at all for this dude. Not only should you not hit women, you shouldn't compete against them in sports. BAD IDEA!

Edit: and of all my years playing softball, without question, the worst ones were when I played on co-ed teams. "Jocelyn: why am I playing RF, I wanna play SS, that's my normal position"... Me (biting my tounge): "because you aren't any good, and we can only use one catcher". UGH. Never again.

I hope LSF doesn't see this.

Keeping in mind this girl could kick the ass of every man that has posted in this thread so far, I ask myself what justice should be metered out if they were both dudes (which they are for all intents and purposes)

And really, I think TT got it right here. I've played a lot if pickup ball in my time and shoves after a hard foul happen. It's part of the game really. It's not right to do but it happens. What you don't do is give someone an epic beating in return. That's criminal behavior

i guess my question isn't about what he got.  he deserved every bit of it.  and he should (and is) face charges.

...it's about what she got.  she initiated a fight.  she sits out the cupcake part of the schedule. 

equal when convenient.

reading zoony's post, he's probably right. though we really don't know how it went down, how much she pushed him or how far she took it.

Does it say in the article what she did? The only mention of her actions that I've read is that she "initiated first contact" which could mean any number of things. Without knowing exactly what each person did I can't say if this is right or wrong. I don't subscribe to nonsense about never hitting women, but there has to be a need for doing so along the lines of responding to a serious attack on your person or an innocent party in need of help. The point is, details matter.

What we do know is that Nigel injured her severely and has been dismissed under the zero tolerance policy. Being that she hasn't been dismissed I would think that her role in this was minor because it didn't trigger the aforementioned zero tolerance policy. If she pushed him, which happens in basketball, and he responded by braking her face he deserves what he got and possibly more. That's what it sounds like may have happened here but that's just a guess, it could be completely wrong.

And I'll also add: wtf was he doing playing a pick up game with girls? I don't care how good a women's player she is, he shouldn't have even been playing against her.

Did you know nearly every major DI women's team practices against men?

Did you know nearly every major DI women's team practices against men?

I wouldn't say nearly all of them. But yes, I'm aware this does happen. Pat Summit used to have guys play against her teams. The difference though is that is a controlled scrimmage. Two totally different discussions.

Eyewitness testimony:

Texas Tech Pharmacy School student Eugenio Hernandez was watching the pickup basketball game when the incident went down. He says the punch Battle took to the face was absolutely intentional. 

"They were playing, and all of a sudden, one guy was guarding her, they go for a rebound," he explains. "Well, when they came back down, [battle] got upset, I guess because [bethel} pushed her, and she kind of pushed him back."

Hernandez watched as the two players continued to get heated.

"Then all of a sudden, I see him get back up," he continues. "And he just straight up punches her with his fist closed. In the face."

Hernandez says that after Battle was hit, another male player in the game attempted to go after Bethel, but others held him back. He also says that watching Battle get hit angered him, even as simply a spectator.

So it's what most of us thought it was, she shoved him and he lost his damn mind.  He's lucky all he got was getting thrown out of school because that punch broke Battle's face.  He should probably have been arrested.  

I wouldn't say nearly all of them. But yes, I'm aware this does happen. Pat Summit used to have guys play against her teams. The difference though is that is a controlled scrimmage. Two totally different discussions.

Just stop.  I've played pick up basketball for 20 years, women play often and there is never a problem.  It's fun to watch the women with obvious college experience clown guys that think they can dominate them on the court simply by virtue of being male.  I've never seen a woman get hit because some moron couldn't handle it.  You've got to be a special kind of stupid to do something like that.  

In truth no one playing sports for fun wants the quick-to-fight guy to play basketball or any other sport... or even to be near them for any reason.  Those lunatics have their actions excused in college and pro sports by something like "he's extremely competitive" and made out to be a good thing.  Everywhere else in the world those guys are just violent assholes ruining everything for everyone.  

Archived