Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL Sunday Ticket 2014

USS Redskins

I hear XBOX. If true, I will buy one along with my PS4. I would love to be able to watch Sunday Ticket without having to pay for regular t.v. I don't need it.

And would that come with their Live subscription services? If so, I might have to invest in one myself. Long-term investment would be worht it.

And would that come with their Live subscription services? If so, I might have to invest in one myself. Long-term investment would be worht it.

I doubt it. There will be an annual fee, and Microsoft aren't going to do any discounts. They will try to hit our pockets. 

I have no idea how it would work. It was one of those things you read, it sticks in your mind but I couldn't give you the article/source. I remember it was a legitimate source, if not, I would have brushed it aside.

It will be available on the Xbox One like it was on the PS3 last year.  I don't think it will be exclusive on the Xbox One across all media formats (i.e. game consoles, satellite, internet, etc.).  It might be exclusive on the gaming consoles, but I think its still going back to Direct TV or competitor (Dish, Google, etc.).

The rumor I read was that Google was interested and has nine times the annual revenue that Direct TV does (so 9 x 32 billion) and it would cost DTV roughly 1.5 billion to resign.  

If it leaves Direct TV, I won't be able to get a discount, but I'd still buy it through the PS4 (if available) or Xbox One (which I'm considering buying anyway, still holding back).  It would be cheaper than going to the bar to watch games where I'd drop about 50-70 bucks on beer/food/tip per game.

I don't see it going to a cable TV provider like TWC or Comcast as cable TV providers are regionalized and people in areas they aren't offered are screwed.  And sports bars in those areas wouldn't be able to get it either.  Keeping it on satellite makes the option available to the entire USA (for the most part), unless they are restricted in apartments, etc.  But still available at local bar/restaurants for the most part.

I could see the Google route possibly.  With apps available through smart TVs and devices (i.e. blu-ray, apple TV, Roku, etc.).  Hell, they should just follow the WWE model, keep it in house and create the NFL Network app (stream whats on the NFL Network and offer Sunday Ticket games during the season).

Hell, they should just follow the WWE model, keep it in house and create the NFL Network app (stream whats on the NFL Network and offer Sunday Ticket games during the season).

Eventually, I think that will happen, but not if companies are going to shell out a billi to the NFL.

Eventually, I think that will happen, but not if companies are going to shell out a billi to the NFL.

I think by tossing it out there on the PSN and already streaming on PCs, Tablets, phones, etc. is a huge indication they are looking into that route of distribution.  I read that 2 million DTV subscribers had NFL Sunday Ticket last year.  Just on those numbers, with the base package ($240), they would make 480 million (which is almost half of the current billion dollar contract.

They make an app available across the xbox one, smart tvs, blu-ray players, appletv, roku, etc.  It opens up more access and would increase subscriptions.  I think they would easily make more money than going with one company/provider. 

I think by tossing it out there on the PSN and already streaming on PCs, Tablets, phones, etc. is a huge indication they are looking into that route of distribution.  I read that 2 million DTV subscribers had NFL Sunday Ticket last year.  Just on those numbers, with the base package ($240), they would make 480 million (which is almost half of the current billion dollar contract.

They make an app available across the xbox one, smart tvs, blu-ray players, appletv, roku, etc.  It opens up more access and would increase subscriptions.  I think they would easily make more money than going with one company/provider. 

True. And they wouldn't be losing any production money because, for the most part, that would be fronted by the networks (CBS, FOX, ESPN, NBC). 

I think they could go the route of WWE Network, and originally, MLB.TV. They were the ones who started it. 

It will be available on the Xbox One like it was on the PS3 last year.  I don't think it will be exclusive on the Xbox One across all media formats (i.e. game consoles, satellite, internet, etc.).  It might be exclusive on the gaming consoles, but I think its still going back to Direct TV or competitor (Dish, Google, etc.).

I get what you are saying, but this was definitely for exclusivity. I am struggling to find the article.  Forbes makes a 'might' mention in their 7 great reasons for google. Article is from last Septemeber.

Microsoft might make a play too, seeing an opportunity to make its Xbox over-the-top setbox of choice. A CBS veteran who understands the value of football, Microsoft Entertainment boss Nancy Tellum has been touting all the content deals for Xbox she’s made as of late. http://www.forbes.com/sites/maxrobins/2013/09/17/7-great-reasons-for-google-to-buy-nfl-rights/

True. And they wouldn't be losing any production money because, for the most part, that would be fronted by the networks (CBS, FOX, ESPN, NBC). 

I think they could go the route of WWE Network, and originally, MLB.TV. They were the ones who started it. 

WWE does it through MLB.tv.

I know the vice president of finance at DirecTv, I met him through work.  I emailed him today asking if they were gonna keep Sunday Ticket.  His response was -

We’re doing everything we can to keep the NFL package.  Only time will tell…

So really nothing new, but it was good to hear it from one of the big guys.  They obviously know how important it is to them. 

I heard about Google too. Make it more widespread. 

As I am a Fios subscriber I will not get Sunday Ticket this year nor do I see the need for it as I do live int he DC area and automatically am gifted all Redskins games for free on FOX / CBS 

I've never been so angry over a "small" thing as I was last year. I purchased the online version of Sunday Ticket only to be told multiple times that the Redskins game was "local" and therefore unavailable.

I'm in freaking Detroit.

I've never been so angry over a "small" thing as I was last year. I purchased the online version of Sunday Ticket only to be told multiple times that the Redskins game was "local" and therefore unavailable.

I'm in freaking Detroit.

They did something similar to me once last season here in Charlotte, NC.  The Panthers were on Fox (or CW or whatever the **** it is now), and the Skins were on whatever DTV station like 710, out of the blue it switched to the Steelers game and it was the start of the 3rd quarter.  

We went ape **** lol.  My buddies were texting me, calling DTV.  After 30 mins, they switched it back.  I know we sucked last year, but I don't pay to watch the Skins play to have it switch to a damn Steelers game to start the second half of the game.

They did something similar to me once last season here in Charlotte, NC.  The Panthers were on Fox (or CW or whatever the **** it is now), and the Skins were on whatever DTV station like 710, out of the blue it switched to the Steelers game and it was the start of the 3rd quarter.  

We went ape **** lol.  My buddies were texting me, calling DTV.  After 30 mins, they switched it back.  I know we sucked last year, but I don't pay to watch the Skins play to have it switch to a damn Steelers game to start the second half of the game.

i know what you're talking about, same **** happened to me last year!!!  I remeber that.

I'm in freaking Detroit.

That happened to me in NY last year. We were actually on Fox locally, but they booted our game because it was boring ... but I thus lost the game because Sunday Ticket still had it as a blackout in my market, when they had actually switched from the game. I missed the 4th quarter. Yes, we sucked, yes it was at the end of the year, but I was still peeved.

Two years ago I ran into a similar issue with the Skins/Steelers game (If I recall correectly) ... it wasn't on any of the local channels but DTV told me it was blacked out because it was on local TV. The best I could come up with was that I was close enough to a Pittsburgh local affiliate (it's 4-5 hours away) and that I was blacked out despite being anywhere near a TV station that could get it. I was annoyed. Other than those two incidents, I've been okay. 

According to this article, Sunday Ticket is a major part of the AT&T-DTV deal: http://consumerist.com/2014/05/20/att-can-walk-away-from-directv-deal-if-nfl-sunday-ticket-not-renewed/

If DTV doesn't win rights to Sunday Ticket at the next negotiation, AT&T can walk away from the deal.

(I would link the WSJ article linked in the Consumerist article, but its stuck behind a paywall for me).

I'm glad I'm not the only one who experienced that BS. Of course, I'm also angry on your guys' behalf. It's not like I've got the money to blow if they aren't even going to let me watch the games I'm trying to watch lol.

The thing that made me the most angry was the total apathy I encountered from DTV when I submitted a complaint. The response was basically, "We don't dictate what's local, and you're just going to have to hope that doesn't happen again."

It was pretty sweet, however, when everything worked properly. I kept Redzone on my main TV and watched the 'skins game on my 32" LCD via HDMI connection to my laptop. It looked a little ridiculous, granted, but it was awesome having Redzone and the Redskins playing simultaneously a few inches apart.

I must be the only person that doesn't watch the Redzone channel.

I have no interest. I prefer to watch the "Short cut" version of the games on Monday or Tuesday. I will even record them so I get to see all of the games. Sometimes I have things to do, so I will watch football over the course of the week ( rarely ) so that I can see the players and the games.

Redzone going back and forth between games is not something I like to do in general...but 7 games or so ? Nope.

Archived