Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Roster Thread: Up to date as of 8/29 @ 8:34 PM EST

KDawg

Apart from a clear indication that you don't like Toshiba, I'm not really sure what any of the other words in your post mean.

Oh, and the numbering in your post is a little off. 

I ended up with 25 offense and 25 defense, mostly because I kept 4 RBs + 1 FB

I think I had:

QB: 2 

RB: 4 (Morris, Helu/Royster, CT, Rookie)

FB: 1

OL: 9 (Williams, Luavo, Kory, Chester, Polumbus, Long, Moses, Ribs, Compton)

TE: 3

WR: 6 (DJax, Roberts, Garcon, Grant, Robinson, Moss)

I have no idea who the RBs are going to be behind Morris.  But I think they'll keep 3, and I think that one will be either Helu/Royster, general backup in case Morris gets hurt, one will be a rookie, and one will be CT, because I think they are infatuated with the 4 plays a year he can be on the field for.  

I had the same ones on offense except CT, who I think goes PuP, IR or FA.

That's how I got to 24. 26 on D is heavy, but at corner it works and between PT (who is rumored to be a occasional ILB), Akeem and Trenton looking so good, along with a possible suspension for Brandon, 6 Safeties seemed possible, with 8 LBs. I'd rather have faster, over sized Safeties than ILBs running down field on ST too. 

I'd rather have faster, over sized Safeties than ILBs running down field on ST too.

The problem with that is that larger oversized safeties can't play defense in the modern NFL - unless they are athletic freaks like Sean Taylor was. You can keep a couple of players purely for what they bring on special teams but you generally need your depth to be guys who can play a role on offense and defense.

Rambo isn't eligible for PS.

actually, with the new eligibility rules, that's not true...  he's still eligible for one of the 2 new spots...

from: http://www.hogshaven.com/2014/8/19/6046547/nfl-and-nflpa-officially-agree-to-expand-practice-squad-rosters-redskins

Criteria for practice squad eligibility has been expanded in two categories.  A player must have a minimum of six games on a practice squad — increased from the previous three games — for that year to count as one of three permissible seasons on the squad. And each team now can sign a maximum of two practice squad players who have earned no more than two NFL seasons toward free agency. Aside from that exception, a player with one or more accrued seasons can't go on a practice squad unless he spent fewer than nine games on a club's 46-player active list in each of his pro seasons.

Rambo was on the active roster for more than 9 games.

and as with Gettis still, the new eligibility rules will allow him to be on PS...  did you read the new rules - the ones pertaining to the 2 expanded spots?

the 1st 8 spots are part of the 'aside from that exception' part...  9 games would make a full season all the way up to 16 games...  but the point is, rambo only has 2 full seasons which would make him eligible for one of the 2 expanded spots...  at least that's how i read it...

and as with Gettis still, the new eligibility rules will allow him to be on PS...  did you read the new rules - the ones pertaining to the 2 expanded spots?

the 1st 8 spots are part of the 'aside from that exception' part...  9 games would make a full season all the way up to 16 games...  but the point is, rambo only has 2 full seasons which would make him eligible for one of the 2 expanded spots...  at least that's how i read it...

Huh, that's silly... why not just expand the roster to 55?

I wouldn't really trust putting guys down on the PS.

Huh, that's silly... why not just expand the roster to 55?

I wouldn't really trust putting guys down on the PS.

We actually proposed a rule change to increase the game day roster from 46 to 49 (except for week 1)..  It did not pass..  personally, i think a D league would be nice to have for all teams...  a true farm system to develop our own players...

We actually proposed a rule change to increase the game day roster from 46 to 49 (except for week 1)..  It did not pass..  personally, i think a D league would be nice to have for all teams...  a true farm system to develop our own players...

Nah, football is different than hockey and baseball.  Development is best served on the team you are playing for.

Looks like Incognito has been reinstated. Given how mediocre Chester has been, do we kick the tires? He'd be an upgrade at RG. I know he played LG in Miami.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11409321/nfl-clears-richie-incognito-full-return-source-says

The NFL cleared former Miami Dolphins guard Richie Incognito on Monday for a return to "full activity and regular-season game participation," a league source said.

The Dolphins had Incognito on paid suspension, and the NFL wanted to review his investigation before saying whether it would allow him to sign.

Now that obstacle has been cleared and Incognito is free to not only sign with a team but play right away.

I think gruden definitely let his plan slip for the regular season the other night for at least one position. He played Chester at Center and put Spencer Long in at Guard. Then after the game he said that was pretty much their plan for the backup/emergency center. It really seems to me that they will roll with just Lichtensteiger at center - that will be one position they will squeeze to keep an extra guy elsewhere.

Makes perfect sense to me. You don't keep a scrub like Mcglynn as a backup and trim the roster elsewhere when the player you're cutting at another position is far better. A player of Mcglynn's ability (including probably Mcglynn himself) can be signed midsesason if needed. I doubt he finds himself on a roster.

Archived