Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Roster Thread: Up to date as of 8/29 @ 8:34 PM EST

KDawg

Seastrunk and Thompson were cut per Keim and Tandler

Big mistake IMO on Seastrunk, love the fact that Redd is on the 53. I don't think he can clear waivers. CT I could care less to be honest, he has not shown he can stay healthy and he has not shown anything special when he entered a scrub game.

I am going to catch hell for this from most of you but you guys realize that we couldn't keep Seastrunk because we are carrying 3 QBs. Another negative for me with RGIII's progression and injury history. At this point this guys has cost us 3 number 1s and a number 2 and messes with our roster planning. Lets hope the God everything works out with Robert because if it doesn't it could be the biggest mistake we ever made as a team.

I can't believe they are keeping 3 QB's and letting Seastrunk walk. I mean do they want to lose and not make plays?? No team plans on winning when. You are down to your 3rd QB. Now someone in our division will pick him up and probably give us hell for years. Stupid, stupid, crazy.

Everyone knows that a player has to be cut, to make it to the PS, right?

Seastrunk will not last on the PS....He needs to make the 53.

I can't believe they are keeping 3 QB's and letting Seastrunk walk. I mean do they want to lose and not make plays?? No team plans on winning when. You are down to your 3rd QB. Now someone in our division will pick him up and probably give us hell for years. Stupid, stupid, crazy.

Seastrunk will not last on the PS....He needs to make the 53.

The Eagles won with Tommy Tupa (p) as a starting QB years ago.

Strunk might make someones 53, true, but I guess we didn't need him. Our O will be passed around Alf and now we actually have a real Alf replica for a back up.

Other that Helu, who is debatable when it come to outright speed at RB we don't have another with that kind of speed. CT getting cut I understand it, but Seastrunk I don't. Like I said in another post yesterday this is why Gruden was stoned silent when he run that 80 yard TD screen because he wanted to put this kid in the PS. So coach not changing your plans on the fly is a huge miss IMO. Lets hope we get lucky and he clears waivers but honestly I doubt it and I would love to eat crow if it does happen.

Other that Helu, who is debatable when it come to outright speed at RB we don't have another with that kind of speed. CT getting cut I understand it, but Seastrunk I don't. Like I said in another post yesterday this is why Gruden was stoned silent when he run that 80 yard TD screen because he wanted to put this kid in the PS. So coach not changing your plans on the fly is a huge miss IMO. Lets hope we get lucky and he clears waivers but honestly I doubt it and I would love to eat crow if it does happen.

So it letting one play in preseason derail your plans.

So, now that the roster is pretty much set, how about some evals?

Kind of random, but I'm going to start things off with corner -

Love the potential Breeland brings. Really like Amerson and Hall as well. Less than thrilled about Biggers and Porter. If I try to look at the latter two objectively, I think Biggers has been turned into something of a whipping boy for his play last year. Really though? He had no business playing safety, but that isn't on him at all. At corner, I don't see anything special, but he's young and we could do worse. Porter, while I don't think he offers a whole lot, supposedly played well in the slot last year, something Wilson did not do.

Overall, I think we're better at corner - Breeland/Porter vs Wilson/Jerome Murphy? Factor in what should be an improved safety group and pass rush, and I think we're clearly in better shape. Personally, I wish we had a healthy Crawford back there, but this has the makings of a decent or better group.

Love the potential Breeland brings. Really like Amerson and Hall as well.

Overall, I think we're better at corner

Agree.  Man, I love Breeland's aggressive nature and physical play!  Here's to hoping that those two qualities become part of the template for future draft picks under Coach Gruden.

Overall, I think we're better at corner - Breeland/Porter vs Wilson/Jerome Murphy? Factor in what should be an improved safety group and pass rush, and I think we're clearly in better shape. Personally, I wish we had a healthy Crawford back there, but this has the makings of a decent or better group.

i agree we should be in better shape defensively...  not that i'll put any expectation going forward into the regular season, but we did come out being the #1 NFC defense (yds wise) in the preseason....  i hope beyond hope that the stories about haz being hampered by shanahan are correct, but i'll reserve judgement on that once we see how they do going forward....

offensively, it's hard to judge with what we've seen so far in the preseason.  2 year ago, i'm not sure how many of us would have expected an opening day win in N.O...  i know i was totally shocked given how effective N.O. was the year before, even knowing their coach was suspended.  Seems a lot of people are expecting Griff to be much better now since this is year 3 for him...  For me, I'll be patient knowing he's in a new scheme under Gruden and there will be a learning curve...  my hope is that we keep this offensive coaching staff intact long enough for him to develop...

Yeah, I'm not ready to say gameplanning, playcalling and defensive adjustments will improve with Haslett at the helm (and Shanahan gone). However, I think we've been hampered by a dearth of talent (in some areas). Some have pointed to our deficiencies up the middle (interior pass rush, ILB play and FS) as one of the roots for our defensive struggles, which segues into my next eval.

BTW, I'm doing these in the hopes of sparking discussion, not to tell people what they already know.

So, staying in the secondary...

I'm a fan of Clark. He ain't one of the best FS in the league, but he's solid, and a seemingly excellent field general for the secondary. Love that Rambo has shown improvement. Overall, FS has improved by a country mile - no more Meriweather/Doughty/Biggers/Madieu/Rambo(last year's version) getting abused.

SS is interesting. Meriweather is pretty good, but the penalties and missed time is more than a little concerning. Love the potential of Davis on the PS. Thomas has loads of potential and really has only had one injury derail things for him. Robinson is a bit of an unknown, but he's looked decent and I'd say he's a solid #3 and STer. Very happy with Ihenacho backing up Meriweather. It's a shame he (presumably) won't be ready to start while Meriweather is suspended... this first time at least. Rambo has played quite well coming up in the box this preseason/camp, though I question if he's ready to start games for us, particularly when switching (if he does start for Meriweather) to SS.

For now, I think last year vs this year is close to a wash, though I see potential for improvement (including depth) later in the year and going into next season. The biggest potential for SS improving may come from having a better pass rush, FS and coverage from the ILBers.

I'm a fan of Clark. He ain't one of the best FS in the league, but he's solid, and a seemingly excellent field general for the secondary. Love that Rambo has shown improvement. Overall, FS has improved by a country mile - no more Meriweather/Doughty/Biggers/Madieu/Rambo(last year's version) getting abused.

SS is interesting. Meriweather is pretty good, but the penalties and missed time is more than a little concerning. Love the potential of Davis on the PS. Thomas has loads of potential and really has only had one injury derail things for him. Robinson is a bit of an unknown, but he's looked decent and I'd say he's a solid #3 and STer. Very happy with Ihenacho backing up Meriweather. It's a shame he (presumably) won't be ready to start while Meriweather is suspended... this first time at least. Rambo has played quite well coming up in the box this preseason/camp, though I question if he's ready to start games for us, particularly when switching (if he does start for Meriweather) to SS.

................................................FS-Clark vs Meriweather

......................................................................SS-(Ihenacho)/Meriweather vs Doughty

CB-Hall......................NB-Biggers/Breeland/Porter vs Wilson.............................CB-Amerson vs Wilson

Net-net I think the secondary is improved.

First they have upgraded in personnel at FS and SS.

We can reasonably expect improvement via maturation from Amerson.

Slot is a ? for me. Wilson wasn't bad there and there are high hopes for Breeland.

I also think the unit has improved from synergy (for lack of better word).

Clark is a real leader in the secondary that we haven't had for as long as I can remember.

He improves the communication, recognition, flexibility and swagger.

i agree we should be in better shape defensively...  not that i'll put any expectation going forward into the regular season, but we did come out being the #1 NFC defense (yds wise) in the preseason....  i hope beyond hope that the stories about haz being hampered by shanahan are correct, but i'll reserve judgement on that once we see how they do going forward....

offensively, it's hard to judge with what we've seen so far in the preseason.  2 year ago, i'm not sure how many of us would have expected an opening day win in N.O...  i know i was totally shocked given how effective N.O. was the year before, even knowing their coach was suspended.  Seems a lot of people are expecting Griff to be much better now since this is year 3 for him...  For me, I'll be patient knowing he's in a new scheme under Gruden and there will be a learning curve...  my hope is that we keep this offensive coaching staff intact long enough for him to develop...

I wouldn't be shocked if we wound up in that 10-15 range, defensively.  Half of that off better field position from special teams and a more consistent offense helping them out.  

I actually thought Wilson did decent in the slot. And played pretty tough for a corner, more physical than I expected #Terps. I think he fell out of favor with fans by fronting receivers, not looking back for the ball one too many times.  I think Biggers has had a tough time here, but has barely been used to his strengths as a corner. I have a sneaking suspicion Breeland pushes for that spot early and often. Porter seems somewhat injury prone, but its early.

Regardless, our secondary is improved. Rambo a year under his belt alone should help. Yeah he was that shaky last year. Amerson, showed some rookie mistakes but also was responsible for 15% of our 1st quarter scoring last year (I think). Clark is the mentor and likely leader of our defense. He brought some thunder vs Baltimore. He needs to hold down the fort deep.

Reed used to be a sure tackler but last year he regressed. It was time to move on.  We will survive without #37.  BMerri seems his own worst enemy, otherwise is a major force to be reckoned with up in the box.

Hall has exceeded expectations in recent years and should anchor our left corner. Pound for pound I think is one of our hardest hitters.

Add Nacho, and things are looking up. Of course, they couldn't get any lower than last year.  All aided by the beast Jason Hatcher up front, and the unleashing of Rak and friends.

A random guess perhaps, but I think we will be top 5 hardest hitting secondaries.

Kind of random, but I'm going to start things off with corner -

Love the potential Breeland brings.

Agree.  Man, I love Breeland's aggressive nature and physical play!  Here's to hoping that those two qualities become part of the template for future draft picks under Coach Gruden.

He made me a fan this preseason. He was definitely our most physical player. I think, with the proper coaching, he will be a good player for this secondary for years to come. Just hoping he doesn't turn out to be the next Kevin Barnes.

Better chill on talk of "improved depth" until backup C and NT are not starters at other positions.

Problem with starter backing up another starter (Chester for Steiger, Baker for Cofield) is that one injury weakens two positions.

Why is Frank Kearse on this team? We have one nose tackle and six defensive ends?

(You could actually make a case that we have zero nose tackles and seven defensive ends.)

Redskins sign Texas All-American to practice squad

The Redskins have added the son of a former longtime Cowboy to their practice squad.

Jackson Jeffcoat—a linebacker out of Texas and the son of Jim Jeffcoat—was signed to the 10-man practice squad on Tuesday, the team announced.

As a senior, Jackson Jeffcoat led the Longhorns in tackles (86), tackles for a loss (22), sacks (13) and quarterback pressures (19). He was a consensus All-American, the Big 12 defensive player of the year and claimed the Ted Hendricks Award as the nation’s top defensive end, the award Brian Orakpo captured in 2008. The elder Jeffcoat registered 102.5 sacks in 15 NFL seasons, 12 of which were spent in Dallas.

Jackson Jeffcoat (6-3, 253) was signed as a college free agent by the Seahawks in May and waived last week.

In addition to adding Jeffcoat, the Redskins also signed offensive lineman Braxston Cave to the practice squad. Cave (6-3, 305) spent last season on the Patriots’ practice squad.

To make room for Jeffcoat and Cave, the Redskins released center Tevita Stevens and linebacker Chaz Sutton from the practice squad. Sutton had been signed Monday.

Safety Chris Clemons was released by the Texans to make room for Daniel Manning.

I like Duke because he's an upgrade from Meriweather.

Well now Clemons is available and I think he's an upgrade over Duke.

I'm not sure about that DG. Not for the way Haz likes to use the SS position in this particular defense. I think Nacho fits very well.

How do you mean, 'the way Haz' likes to use his SS in this defense?

I agree Nacho fits, but I think Clemons is better.

Its a moot point either way though.

What I meant was the fact that majority of the defensive calls involve single-high FS and the SS as essentially an extra LB sometimes free-lancing, often times roaming, covering short, spying if needed, but most of all attacking the LoS. That's how Haz likes to use Meriweather and that's how Landry had his most successful season. Nacho fits that mold. 

What I meant was the fact that majority of the defensive calls involve single-high FS and the SS as essentially an extra LB sometimes free-lancing, often times roaming, covering short, spying if needed, but most of all attacking the LoS. That's how Haz likes to use Meriweather and that's how Landry had his most successful season. Nacho fits that mold. 

Gotcha, I hear ya but Clemons played as much in the box as Duke

Here are some S stats from last year:

SNB-(snaps in box)-Percentage of snaps played within 8 yards of the line of scrimmage is a good way to determine how a SAF plays i.e Free vs Strong.

TE-tackling efficiency-tackles made vs tackles attempted (measure of missed tackles)

PD-passes defensed

INTs-

SNB TE PD INTs

Charles Woodson..............12.6.....................6.4................3.....................1

Ryan Clark.........................19.4.....................8.6................1.....................2

Meriweather.......................25.5.....................3.8................0.....................2

Chris D. Clemons...............28.1.....................7.9......... ......6.....................1.....OVR: 4.7

Duke I-Nacho.....................33.6.....................8.1................3......................0.....OVR: -6.9

Steve Gregory....................28.5.....................7.5................2.....................0

Michael Huff(2010).............30.3....................11.3...............4.....................3

Jame Ihedigbo.......................37.6...................11.2.............4.....................3

They snaps played near the LOS was similar but Duke played in the box a little more and Duke has a slighty higher tackling efficiency but Clemons is better in coverage.

They were used in similar fashion last year.

I like Clemons more because he's more versatile, the Dolphins played a lot of Cover 1/2 and he was used as the single high FS at times. From what I saw of the Broncos they  played a lot of Cover-2 when or 1/2 field FS.

Don't get me wrong, I'm super happy we picked up Duke just like Clemons a little, better.

Its a moot point though. But it would be cool if we signed Clemons too.

Archived