Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

If we are relying on Bruce's drafting skill to get us out of this mess, we are in for a long ride (entire draft history)

SteveFromYellowstone

Yay another end of the world thread!!!

Just what this board needs. Another short sighted, uninformed **** fest.

Just because Bruce didn't get the players YOU WANTED doesn't mean a plan isn't in place. I just love how so many fans who haven't posted here in months come out of the woodwork with their oh so professional critique of our front office.

This is still basically the same team that won the division a couple years ago. With a good game plan and some upgrades it is very reasonable to think they can improve.

If the offense can get back to form, if RGIII can become the play maker we all know he is then we won't have to rely on the defense to be absolutely elite.

Point is the sky isn't falling. Get over it or move on. It's getting really old. Really.

The thing is; You will not see a strong GM in D.C., Snyder likes to medal far to much.....Good GM's are hard to come by to begin with, and one that will force Snyder to take a back seat?? Priceless...

I hear he's been training hard at synchronized figure skating.

Yay another end of the world thread!!!

Just what this board needs. Another short sighted, uninformed **** fest.

Just because Bruce didn't get the players YOU WANTED doesn't mean a plan isn't in place. I just love how so many fans who haven't posted here in months come out of the woodwork with their oh so professional critique of our front office.

This is still basically the same team that won the division a couple years ago. With a good game plan and some upgrades it is very reasonable to think they can improve.

If the offense can get back to form, if RGIII can become the play maker we all know he is then we won't have to rely on the defense to be absolutely elite.

Point is the sky isn't falling. Get over it or move on. It's getting really old. Really.

ITA I only try to focus on the positives and not dwell on the negatives it also does no good to complain because there is nothing we can do about it.

AJ Smith, Scott Campbell and Morocco Brown were not all with Bruce in Tampa, or Oakland. Big diff, and hey maybe he learned something along the way.

Scott Campbell & Morocco Brown have been here for years. I'm tired of people acting as if these guys will suddenly blossom into excellent scouting guys. They stink.

Allen said he would have final say on the player personnel. So yeah he's running things.

I don't think you understand what "final say" means. Do you think Allen is locked in a room with film scouting by himself, making a big board and then calling the picks in? Come on.

ITA I only try to focus on the positives and not dwell on the negatives it also does no good to complain because there is nothing we can do about it.

One positive (and completely ignoring whether he was is, or will be 0, 100, or 75.3% in charge of the draft)

1 20 Aqib Talib

1 31 Nnambdi Asomugha

1 17 Phillip Buchanon

1 4 Charles Woodson

That's a decent history at a position we need and which the draft seems deep in. 

It's OK.  We have RG3 and that's enough hope for now.

Do you think the Saints or Patriots would be considered to have good FOs if they didn't have Drew Brees and Tom Brady.  Is Bill Belicheat a good coach?  Hell yea, and I don't think it's because of Tom Brady.

Is he a good GM?  Hell no, but people think he is because of Tom Brady.

Look I want Bruce to succeed REALLY REALLY badly. I'm dying to have a frugal GM who knows when to make a splash and always has a really strong draft. I'm not rooting against him at all, but what about him makes some of you so confident? He hasn't really done anything spectacular anywhere he's been and he's given us no indication that he is able to draft well. Scott Campbell and Morrocco Brown have been here, what, a decade now? I'm excited to get to see them get a chance to show us all what they can do, but I'm definitely not getting my hopes up.

He has done a pretty bad job at free agency so far minus the Roberts signing. Mike Shanahan got 4 years to rebuild and now it seems like Bruce wants his own 4 years to rebuild. Yeah were not making the super bowl anytime soon but the way things are looking now our defense will be pretty much the same as last year except with maybe a few Bruce Allen mid round draft picks. He's always been cheap in free agency, and his past tenure as GM gives me no indication he will revamp this team through the draft. I just get a bad feeling we'll be going through another rebuild in a few seasons because Bruce couldn't get the job done.

See this is what I don't get, Corey Graham signs a 4 year 20 million deal, Verner signs a 4 year 26 million deal, Mike Mitchell signs a 5 year 25 million deal and we didn't do anything. These are perfectly reasonable deals and teams with a lot less space than us are making decent deals like this. I would have much rather had at least Corey Graham for 5 million than Shawn Lauvao for 4 mil, a guy Browns fans said was their worst olineman and were perplexed when we signed him. 

If we don't sign some impact secondary players (which looks increasingly unlikely), we will have to rely on another year of rookie or mediocre safety play

If we don't sign some impact secondary players (which looks increasingly unlikely), we will have to rely on another year of rookie or mediocre safety play

I essentially just said the same thing in the other thread, but I'll repeat it here.  You don't become really good by signing guys to reasonable contracts. You don't become really good by being like the average NFL franchise, which is what signing people to reasonable contracts is (even signing a real good player to a large contract is average behavior in the NFL because that's what most NFL teams do).  You become average.

In order to become really good you have to get lucky, which means you have to take chances.  You have to give yourself a chance to get lucky.

To me that's what safety is right now to this team.  It is a chance to get lucky and have some not high valued guy in terms of pretty low draft picks or maybe a UDFA/practice squad player that comes into camp this year become a good player.

It might fail, and the guys might stink, but to me it is worth the risk.

And it isn't like at safety you are likely putting another player's career at risk.

I'm not against bringing in some guy that is a border line starter that can play in case the whole thing is a complete disaster.

But if they essentially play the year out with a bunch of young guys at safety and see if they can get lucky I like it.

They have a new coach, and they can give him a year to adjust to being a head coach and a chance to evaluate what else he likes about the team and what he doesn't without bringing in bigger name players and dealing with integrating those players into the team and the scheme.

And you can roll the cap money over next year after he's had a year as the headcoach with the players.

(Now, with that said, there are things I don't like and/or want to see them do.  I don't like resigning Moss, and I want to them to try and extend Trent this offseason.  I'm pro the not getting a clear front line safety.  Anti-resigning Moss, And hopeful on Trent.)

Scott Campbell & Morocco Brown have been here for years. I'm tired of people acting as if these guys will suddenly blossom into excellent scouting guys. They stink.

You don't know the dynamics behind the scenes and what players they were ranking or what players they suggested. They didn't make the final call, and now Bruce has said they will have further influence. Just be a damn fan and give it chance, appreciate the team from your limited knowledge perspective and pull for success. 

See this is what I don't get, Corey Graham signs a 4 year 20 million deal, Verner signs a 4 year 26 million deal, Mike Mitchell signs a 5 year 25 million deal and we didn't do anything. These are perfectly reasonable deals and teams with a lot less space than us are making decent deals like this. I would have much rather had at least Corey Graham for 5 million than Shawn Lauvao for 4 mil, a guy Browns fans said was their worst olineman and were perplexed when we signed him. 

I think none of us get this even the guys who are trying to stay positive.  In my imagination, I've come up with three reasons.

Allen and co. actually are much more at peace with the potential of the guys on the roster

Shanny did way more damage to the 'skins reputation than even we believed and right now no one wants to come here.

Allen and co. believe the way to use free agency is just to get players who can fill the gaps until a draftee is ready to step up and be a star.

The grades and salaries just didn't line up for Allen.

Part of me worries that the Shanny effect is the biggest because this is the first year that it seems that free agents are turning away from the team and possibly to take less money.  That means we need to prove this place is competent and not cancerous.  I also wonder if the partial house cleaning reinforces the view that Shanny was right.  After all, if you're keeping so much intact, then what does that say about the previous regime.  Just trying to look at this from a free agent's perspective.  At the moment, why would you want to come to the Redskins.  For me, it's pretty clear.  We're one season removed from being a playoff team.  We've got the key ingredients on offense to be elite.  We just need "you" (whoever the free agent you're pitching).

Looks like this needs to be a "prove it" year.  Not just in terms of wins, but organization and culture.  We have to repair all the briges that Shanahan dynamited.

LOL at all the posters getting butt hurt at legitimate criticism  One poster said it best, either he has a bad draft history or no draft history.  Either way he has given us absolutely no reason to be optimistic.  Does he scout every player?  No. But again final say means he is IN CHARGE OF THE DRAFT.  Not sure what is debatable about that.

And while I'm very happy they did not sign Talib, that is the old way of doing business, there is very little justification for giving $17 million to a guard who simply is not very good.  So yeah the concern is justified. 

The entire argument about whether this draft will be considered a success or not is completely asinine in the first place. It could take several years for whoever we draft to actually show whether they were worth it or not. I just hope that if we have a good draft and our guys do prove to be quality starters, all of you criticizing the guy will come back here to eat crow.

The entire argument about whether this draft will be considered a success or not is completely asinine in the first place. It could take several years for whoever we draft to actually show whether they were worth it or not. I just hope that if we have a good draft and our guys do prove to be quality starters, all of you criticizing the guy will come back here to eat crow.

We all get that.  Some are just pointing out Bruce Allen's history and I think that's a fair argument. 

Archived