Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What's your opinion of Roy Helu?

justice98

On the list of units I was concerned about, RB was probably the only one where I thought we were set.   I personally wouldn't create roster changes where we don't need them since we have so many, and chasing a RB would apply, IMO.  And with all this Darren Sproles chatter, I've been hearing a lot of hits against Roy Helu, i.e., he doesn't do this, he's not great at that, etc.  Whether the Sproles stuff is legit or not, I get the impression that looking to upgrade that spot behind Morris is something they're looking at.  And I don't think Bernard in Cincinnati does anything that Helu couldn't do with the same number of touches.  And the argument I've heard was Gruden wants somebody like Bernard. Mike Jones was just on 980 with Sheehan talking about the coaching staff wasn't necessarily content with Helu and was concerned about his speed and ability to make plays.  

I feel like I've been watching a different guy.  He's got speed, good hands out of the backfield, he can make people miss in the open field, all things we've seen him display.  Aside from Robinson, I'd take Helu over anybody on the team in the 40.  

I think Helu is a solid back.  I think you over estimate his speed, I mean, he's not slow but he's no burner either.  Kinda shifty, runs hard, good hands.  A nice change up to Alf.  As far as comparing him to Bernard,...didn't get to see him play enough.

Helu is a strange case.  He seems like he should be better than he is.  I'm not sure if it's vision, balance, patience, power, or luck.  He's been knicked a bit, but not too badly, but given his size/speed you think he would hit more doubles and triples than he does.  Morris is much slower than Helu, but has far more 20 yard gains.  Helu seems to lack "it"  I still think he's a good back up and would be comfortable with him being our lead back for a time, but he just hasn't been able to convert those raw skills into high production.  He has, however, converted his talents into pretty good production.

Not an area that I feel we need to upgrade esp. for any premiums.  Just not a guy who really seems to know how to take advantage of his blocking and talents as well as he could.

2013 - The entire team blew chunks

2012 - Alfred was so good, no other runners mattered

2011 - Roy did fine when not bothered by the foot

I think that we will be pleasantly surprised by him this year if the whole team improves and Alfred lets the other runners get some carries.

If it were me I would go get a real RT and not worry about sproles. IF we could get sproles for like 1.5 mil then fine but before I want sproles at 3 mill I rather have a verner (titans cb) for 6 to 8 mil per.

It is also important to remember that just because the team has cap space does not mean they must spend every dollar.

In 2011 helu was fine when shanny gave him his touches.

In 2012 he got hurt and morris out shined him in pre season anyways.

In 2013 he was ok when he had touches. I remember against the bears he was awesome (but the bears were god awful vs the run last year).

I think I rather give chris thompson (I think that is his name) a chance to compete with helu to see which one can be our darren sproles type player.

So yeah that is my 2 cents.

I think Helu is a solid back.  I think you over estimate his speed, I mean, he's not slow but he's no burner either.  Kinda shifty, runs hard, good hands.  A nice change up to Alf.  As far as comparing him to Bernard,...didn't get to see him play enough.

He ran a 4.42 coming out, that's plenty fast for a RB.  There were only two RBs in last year's draft that ran faster than that and only one at this year's combine that ran faster than that.  Chris Thompson, who's speed was supposed to be his key asset, also ran a 4.42 at FSU before he was injured.  There aren't a whole lot of burners out there at the RB spot.  If they're holding out for that, good luck.  Outside of Chris Johnson, burners at the RB spot that can hold up are few and far between.  

And not to over-emphasize the 40, cuz I get 40 yard dash speed and actual game speed in pads aren't necessarily the same thing.  I'm just saying I think Helu's plenty fast IMO.  I don't think anybody's running him down if he gets a step.

I think Helu is a very versatile offensive player for us. If needed, he can be our change of pace back to spell Morris. If Morris were to be injured, he can probably carry the load as well. I like having players like Helu on this roster.

I kinda feel like it'd be a waste of resources chasing a guy like Sproles (if he ever became available) considering the desperate needs everywhere else.  Kinda my feeling about chasing Talib too.  The RB depth chart of Morris, Helu, Young at FB, and whoever wins the 3rd string halfback spot in preseason should be a set and forget situation.  

Our running scheme is supposed to keep a lot of the outside zone stuff we love, while throwing in some Gap plays.  I think Helu will run better in a Gap system.

Helu's biggest problem is a lack of patience and an urge to use his speed.  He suffers from the Chris Johnson syndrome where he'll take the handoff and sprint right into his blockers back.  Unlike a zone run, the gap scheme has clearer timings for when lineman should block whom.  It's less instinctual and more muscle memory focused (as he practices with the blockers).

So if I had to guess, we'd utilize Morris in every blocking style, while Helu will see mostly Gap blocking.

Helu's nowhere near as explosive as Sproles. I don't care what the 40 time says.

He'd better be.  What's Helu got on Sproles, 6 inches and 25 lbs?  lol  

However, for giggles, and I'm bored a comparison of actual on the field results:

Sproles

4.2 ypc

8.5 ypr

5.67 yac

Helu

4.4 ypc

8.1 ypr

5.8 yac

So where's all that explosion coming into play?

i think if you threw Helu the ball 90-100 times like Brees does to Sproles, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference at the end of the season.  And at 30 years old, Sproles probably will have diminishing returns.  

I guess I would have to see how he will fit our new system first. I know that Gruden plans to run a sort of hybrid run scheme with some power and zone, but I have a feeling that we will need to make some upgrades on the OL before any of our RBs are successful again. 

i think if you threw Helu the ball 90-100 times like Brees does to Sproles, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference at the end of the season. And at 30 years old, Sproles probably will have diminishing returns.

Pointing out that the problem with that kind of extrapolation is that the correct way to phrase it is "if he got a lot more touches AND his stats per touch stay exactly the same".

:)

a t'weener ... not a premier pounder, slasher or significant change of pace/speed back.  Generally over "liked" by Skins fans desperate for something exceptional.  His carries tend to be many short runs and lost yard runs and enough 10 - 15 yard runs to have an average yards/carry average.  Decent but unremarkable as a 3rd down back except he's not a realistic pass protector so the D knows he's either in a route or they have a open door for the rush.  Doesn't tend to get beyond first contact.  Tends to get caught behind the line or at the line.  Occasionally bursts through but only gets past the DBs on the rare occasion (e.g., busted play scramble, prevent deep coverage etc.).  When he's in its either a decent short to mid range pass route, poor pass protection, or a "much-or-nothing" run with the odds leaning heavily towards nothing with some likelihood of 10 - 15 yards but not much farther.  I don't see him as a first choice heavy load "starting" RB, or 3rd down back or change of pace back.  At the moment he's the best change of pace option but I can't see him making anyone happy as a multiple game spot starter in place of Morris.  

RB is a position you should be able to sneeze and find one. Shanny could sneeze and find 2. He could not draft a good defensive back though.

You must remember in 2011 that helu did not have rg3 in a zone read to work with. I would not mind some shotgun 2 wr 2 rb 1 te packages with morris and helu on the field at the same time.

Morris is an elite runner, Sproles and elite pass catching back.

Helu IMO is a better runner than he is a catcher. Just don't see him do a lot in space when receiving. But, when running he has put up solid games. He is not as consistent as Morris, but if we do get Sproles then Helu you keep as Morris' back up for running and Sproles' back up for catching.

Sproles you'd only have for a couple seasons but a backfield of RG3 and Sproles in passing situations, with Garcon and Reed running routes and Andre Roberts able to hang in the backfield or run across the middle? Forget about it! That's an offense Gruden is going to have a lot of fun with.

Archived