Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What's your opinion of Roy Helu?

justice98

He certainly runs a lot harder than I previously noticed from his rookie fill in campaign. Last season in short spots I watched some tough damn running and was impressed. He isn't however as fast as I thought he might be, decent shiftiness, but not that fast. His game doesn't jump out at me, but a solid back. Would have been nice to have a sproles type to compliment Alfred, maybe Thompson will improve and be that guy.

I think if Helu got more carries he would produce bigger plays.  It's hard to get into a rhythm when you get maybe 1 to 3 carries a game.  I'm not suggesting starting him over Alf, no way.  But we saw what he could do in 2011 and we saw some of that come back in 2013 in small doses.  So overall I think he is good where he is, a good back up RB to provide relief for Alf and good option on third downs for catching out of the backfield.  I think this season he will be even better being another year removed from injury and a full season under his belt.  If I were giving him a Madden scale rating I'd say overall 78.

I think if Helu got more carries he would produce bigger plays.  It's hard to get into a rhythm when you get maybe 1 to 3 carries a game. 

Good point..I think he'd benefit from more carries and getting that rhythm/lather. He ran well with more carries..who was it that went down his rookie season? Hightower? Then roy was good until he got hurt and Royster took over? wasn't that long ago but I forgot already lol

Good speed, good hands, decent blocker. Shifty, has the ability to juke and jump cut but they don't waste motion doing extra stuff. Although they are sudden and explosive they aren't as quick as pure speed or scat backs. Helu runs hard through contact although isn't the most powerful back.

I think Helu could easily be a 1,000 4.5ish ypc w/ 300-500 receiving yards if he was a lead back.

I respect your opinion more than most, but really?

Did I see Helu compared to Forte and Sproles?

Helu , like some halfbacks, only get better the more carries you give him. If you're a speed guy, you need to be able to get into a rhythm, and that's hard to do when you're only getting a couple carries a game.

I think he will be featured in the pass game more often and our offense will only benefit from it. I love Morris to death, but in the NFL of today, you need two capable backs who compliment each other. For the price, and for what they do, I cannot complain about Morris and Helu.

If our line gets upgraded, both of these guys will only benefit more. Having that monster RT definitely helps and I think that's what I'm most interested in seeing get upgraded.

I respect your opinion more than most, but really?

Did I see Helu compared to Forte and Sproles?

What can I say? *shrugs* just telling what I see.

I've always liked Helu and his running style even going back to his rookie year when he played in 15 games and had 5 starts:

151 attempts

640 yards

4.2 ypc

49 receptions

379 yards

I don't see him as Sproles style back though, he's not as shifty.

I think if Helu got more carries he would produce bigger plays.  It's hard to get into a rhythm when you get maybe 1 to 3 carries a game.  I'm not suggesting starting him over Alf, no way.  But we saw what he could do in 2011 and we saw some of that come back in 2013 in small doses.  So overall I think he is good where he is, a good back up RB to provide relief for Alf and good option on third downs for catching out of the backfield.  I think this season he will be even better being another year removed from injury and a full season under his belt.  If I were giving him a Madden scale rating I'd say overall 78.

I think the biggest problem last year was the offense just couldn't mount many sustained drives, and constantly played from behind. That, and it's tough to figure out how to get a guy more touches in an already limited offense, playing behind a Pro Bowl caliber RB.

I agree with you completely Sinister, being on a team with a struggling offense/defense and being behind a top notch RB did limit his action.  Not saying giving him more carries would be easy or the best thing to do but if he did see more action I think he would break off bigger plays. 

http://espn.go.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/6481/redskins-still-looking-for-pass-catching-rb?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

“We have some guys in-house we feel like can do it, but obviously you like to have some versatility and the ability to have another guy who could be a specialty-type third-down guy,” Gruden said. “But with Roy and Chris, we have those guys who could possibly take that role. But we’ll keep looking.” 

Gruden called Thompson “one of the most exciting backs” while at Florida State. But he also wondered about his durability. 

Royster seems to have his fair share of injuries. two years ago, I am convinced defenses didn't even game plan for him.

I felt like we did not use Helu well at all last year.  Thompson too. Mike used them more like Riggo than Kelvin Bryant, not to their strengths.

Archived