Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cutting the Cable cord

praise_gibbs

The downfall? Sports. I live in South Jersey ("Eagle Country") so I get few Redskins games anyway so I find myself streaming them online. But, I really want the best affordable legal way to watch NFL games without using cable/satellite.

The solution to this part of your problem is to go to Bobby Ray's in Pennsauken on game day.  They are friendly, have a decent craft beer selection, good food, and will put the Redskins game on for you every Sunday. I'm a STH, but Bobby Ray's is where I'm at for every away game. :)

• Like 1

Just FYI, MLB actually does do blackouts on all of their platforms, and their coverage area is much bigger than other sports because they want to get so much coverage for their TV deals. For example, I live in Charlotte and Braves, Nationals, Orioles and Reds games are blacked out. It's annoying...it's not like I am going to pack up the car and head to Cincinnati for a weeknight game. Oh well, I only really care about the O's, and since I finally got MASN two years ago, I am fine with it. 

Up here in NY, the Nats are blocked out for 18 games when they play the Mets. That's the price I have to pay for cutting cable. I could catch those games in the past on cable on SNY and I'm going to have to suck it up this year and miss those games. I have a couple friends who are Mets fans so if I really want to see the game I can just go to their house or a local bar. I do a pretty good job of watching almost every game, but missing 18 won't kill me.

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins

I don't think they can deny you DTV, or any type of dish service.

I think it is illegal.

Hmm ... well a few of the apartments we looked at specifically said no dishes. This lady said no dish (it's an apartment complex) and it's a nice place and we are desperate to find a nice place (this area has very limited living options). So I didn't push it, mainly because I end up coming out on top about $500 this way.

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins

A good adblocker only stops threat's it knows. Spend any time there and your chance of getting infected is high. Unless you use a Mac :P

You won't find it hard to believe when the FBI comes a knocking.

Nahhhh, streaming copyrighted shows for free, how could that be illegal.

Do you have any sort of documentation stating watching/downloading/streaming any sort of copy righted material over any given non-legit website is illegal?

Sharing that material is illegal, but none of us are talking about distributing material. Only consuming.

Do you have any sort of documentation stating watching/downloading/streaming any sort of copy righted material over any given non-legit website is illegal?

Sharing that material is illegal, but none of us are talking about distributing material. Only consuming.

it is claimed that some streaming copies the data into your computer(even when not downloading), and if so it becomes a sharing issue.

there are a lot of fine lines,just as there are in using copyrighted music in a youtube video

Comcast now offers the option to be subscribed to HBOGO without needing some kind of super TV package

The new offering, dubbed “Internet Plus,” bundles 25Mbps Internet service with HBO GO, local TV channels and Comcast’s Streampix streaming movie and TV show service for $40 per month to for a year.

That is what I'm subscribed to and its great. There is enough TV on HBO to keep me occupied for years and I still get to watch sports games whenever I feel like it.

Comcast now offers the option to be subscribed to HBOGO without needing some kind of super TV package

That is what I'm subscribed to and its great. There is enough TV on HBO to keep me occupied for years and I still get to watch sports games whenever I feel like it.

they need more options like this, and it results from competition

what is a "solid digital atenna"?

right now i have a pair of rabit ears connected outside my house (where the old 1980s coaxial cable cord connected to the cable tv box near my power meter :P  )   I live inside teh beltway, so it is easy to catch the DC channels, but they stutter OCCASIONALLY (usually during the 4th quarter of Redskins games, of course) but i have no idea if i would be able to pick up more stations, or the current stations better with a "solid digital antenna"

right now i have a pair of rabit ears connected outside my house (where the old 1980s coaxial cable cord connected to the cable tv box near my power meter :P  )   I live inside teh beltway, so it is easy to catch the DC channels, but they stutter OCCASIONALLY (usually during the 4th quarter of Redskins games, of course) but i have no idea if i would be able to pick up more stations, or the current stations better with a "solid digital antenna"

I did quite a bit of research. The one I got was $40 and highly rated ... and was a top bargain buy. I also checked my local specs and I should have no trouble getting Fox, CBS, ABC and NBC, which is all I want to ensure I get Redskins games that might be on locally and blacked out on Sunday Ticket.

You need this, Mohu Leaf Paper-Thin Indoor HDTV Antenna

The conversion to digital allowed for a couple of things:

1) Because digital broadcasts require less bandwidth for the same quality, there is the opportunity for simply more channels.

2) The digital spectrum is also carved up differently than the analog spectrum.  Before, local channel 4 would have the bandwidth that corresponded to channel 4.  Your TV tuned its tuner to the appropriate carrier frequencies for channel 4 content and you received channel 4.

Now the stations are just handed the bandwidth and can use it how they want.  In other words, they can split it into 6 heavily-compressed channels, or 1 uncompressed channel.  From what I've seen in Chicago, most of them split their bandwidth into 2-3 channels of content, with one being a highly-compressed channel showing nothing but traffic and weather.

Because of this, a lot more channels have popped up and you need the best signal-to-noise ratio possible to receive some of the heavily compressed broadcasts.  That's where the antenna comes in. In Chicago there's a station called MeTV that broadcasts 6 different streams, which are almost all reruns of really old sitcoms.  I could never pick it up with a pair of rabbit ears, but I picked up a reasonably good antenna with its own amplifier that lets me get those.  I've read about other people going all out and mounting all kinds of crazy contraptions on their roof to watch channels broadcast 30+ miles away.

it is claimed that some streaming copies the data into your computer(even when not downloading), and if so it becomes a sharing issue.

there are a lot of fine lines,just as there are in using copyrighted music in a youtube video

I'm not sure why someone would worry about a temporary cache of data when millions of users have been downloading complete copies of movies/games/music for free (and legally) for years now. Just because you've downloaded a free copy of something does not mean you have shared it, correct?

I'm not sure why someone would worry about a temporary cache of data when millions of users have been downloading complete copies of movies/games/music for free (and legally) for years now. Just because you've downloaded a free copy of something does not mean you have shared it, correct?

the odds are they will not worry about it because you are more trouble than reward.

unless you are unlucky enough to be used as a example :o  ....downloading copyrighted material is certainly grounds for them to cause you trouble.

like driving 5 over the speed limit ya usually get away with it....till ya don't

add

http://www.dartmouth.edu/copyright/peer2peer/

Edited by twa
  • Like 1

I cut the cord over four years ago when I moved and started seminary.

If you have an Xbox 360 and a PC with Windows 7 Home Premium or higher I would recommend getting a TV tuner for your PC.

We have an antenna connected to tuners on my home network.  My desktop PC records the shows and then we use the Xbox 360 to watch them on our TV at our leisure.  It has a nice, clean DVR TV listing to set up the recordings and everything.

We use a Roku to watch Netflix and other assorted media.

I have a Vizio Co-Star currently but, want to get the Roku 3. I'm having issues with connecting my Netflix with the Co-Star so I'm using my kids Wii for netflix.

In regards to the Tuner, do you need to get the Xbox Live gold? That was my issue with Netflix on the Xbox. I am not a big gamer and couldn't see getting Gold when I'll only use it for Netflix. But, can see myself getting it if it's needed for the Tuner to work correctly (cheaper than cable).

I'm already shopping for a decent Antenna and do have an Xbox 360. Also, have a laptop and Desktop with Windows 7 Home Premium but also have Windows 7 Ultimate disc laying around if needed. 

There's going to be a small window where cutting the cord saves you a lot of money, by only going after the shows you want, but on the other hand, if you are someone like me who between our family of four, record an average of 2-4 shows per night (plus all the other streaming we do of movies, gaming etc etc)  I think in the next 5-10 years, these companies are going to find a way to make it just as expensive to go ala carte as they do subscribing to a package.

Right now most shows are the same price per episode, but I could see in the future that the more popular the show, the more expensive the per episode price ends up being.

Also, it is no coincidence that most of the major cable/satellite carriers are also the main providers of the internet service. Holding that kind of power and market share over the consumer base means they probably already have a lot of plans in the works to make up for any loss in revenue from cord-cutters.   

There really is no such thing as cord-cutters, you are just cutting one in favor of the other, and chances are one of the big 3-4 companies who offered you your Satellite/Cable in the first place, also owns the internet service you are now going to double/triple/quadruple etc etc down on.

I have a Vizio Co-Star currently but, want to get the Roku 3. I'm having issues with connecting my Netflix with the Co-Star so I'm using my kids Wii for netflix.

In regards to the Tuner, do you need to get the Xbox Live gold? That was my issue with Netflix on the Xbox. I am not a big gamer and couldn't see getting Gold when I'll only use it for Netflix. But, can see myself getting it if it's needed for the Tuner to work correctly (cheaper than cable).

I'm already shopping for a decent Antenna and do have an Xbox 360. Also, have a laptop and Desktop with Windows 7 Home Premium but also have Windows 7 Ultimate disc laying around if needed. 

No, you do not need Xbox Live Gold.

Here is what you need to do. :)

Get this tuner: http://tinyurl.com/ocubcy2

Connect it to your antenna and your router  Install the software that comes with the tuner on you Home Premium PC.  Open Windows Media Center and make sure it identified your channels that the tuner picks up.

Then go to your Xbox and go to the TV section.  You can set up Windows Media Center there.  The Xbox is ONLY an extender for Media Center on your PC.  The Xbox will not need to be on and your computer will wake up from sleep to record.  You use the Xbox to watch the shows recorded on your TV from your PC.

Media Center provides a full guide similar to a DVR so it is easy to find the stuff you watch and set up the recordings.  You can do this on either the Xbox extender or your PC.

If you want some advice or help on setting it up just let me know.  I would also be willing to make you a quick video on how my set up works and looks if you would like.

Edited by rebornempowered

The problem with cord cutting is that inclement weather will mess up your signal. 

For sports fans who enjoy watching games on TV, it's really irritating. Many times during Redskins games the TV would just black out because a car drove by (seriously), or it was lightly breezy outside. Rain or wind? Forget about watching TV. 

It was so stressful to repeatedly move the antenna off boxes...I used to have these crates and boxes which I would use to try to adjust signals and get the best reception. Then 2 days later that same configuration no longer worked, so you had to move the antenna again. Then that configuration doesn't work for ANOTHER channel, despite living right outside DC. 

I got FiOS television set up in this room in January and I don't regret it one bit. It's nice to be able to watch television without worrying if my signal will go out or not. 

Now...the other side of this story is, if you're not watching sports, what do you have to watch on cable? The same old reality TV crap that has infested nearly every network? Cable is great for sports, but other than that, there's not really much redeeming value anymore. 

I've been cable-free since summer and I suggest the following:

- Pick up a solid digital TV antenna so you can get all the channels available locally.  It's more than you think, as digital signals have longer range than the analog channels you remember from the pre-cable days.  This website will help you: http://www.antennaweb.org/  Also, I use this window-mounted antenna at home (in Chicago) and have been pretty happy: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0063705PE/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

- Subscriptions to streaming services:  I get almost all of my network TV through HuluPlus, and I'm into documentaries, so Netflix is good for that;  I'm also a pretty big O's fan, and subscribe to mlb.tv;  I'm debating whether I should pick up the NHL package at some point, but I can't get into hockey until the playoffs come around

- Integrating it to your TV:  I'm not an Apple Fanboy but I've ended up with quite a few apple devices so AppleTV works for me (plus I like being able to airplay mp3s from my phone directly to appletv when I'm working around the house).  Since you're not a huge apple fan, I've heard the new Roku boxes are amazing, and actually have more options for other things you can stream (often free) to them.

EDIT: I should add that being out of market helps me in this situation, as local games still get blacked out.  I'm out of luck when the O's are playing the White Sox or Cubs, unless I'm at the stadium.  But yeah, if they're playing the Sox in Baltimore, and I really want to watch, I have to find a bar.

As someone who went without cable for over 6 years...I can tell you right now that I've used several dozen antennas in order to get TV. And as I mentioned before, they all managed to break within a few years. The biggest problem is that no indoor antenna will ever get perfect reception. When signals were transferred from analog to digital, it increased clarity of digital signals OTA, but also made everything "All-or-nothing". If you had wind or rain in analog, there'd just be some static. Now, the entire screen blacks out. This makes it extraordinarily difficult to get good reception in weather, even the most lightest breezes or rain will throw signal reception off. 

I am complaining about this repeatedly because I dealt and suffered with this for over 6 years. You may be able to cope with it now, but it gets real old, real fast. Apparently the best solution is to get an outdoor antenna and hook it up (per /r/cordcutters) but eventually all my problems with antennas were too much. I couldn't take it anymore. 

Also, for streaming, there are sites that do stream games for free. Some people will even stream in HD if they are kind enough to do so. The problem is most of the free streams are of terrible quality when maxed out on your TV (you get what you "pay" for), and even if they aren't, they frequently buffer (and I have FiOS). 

I sympathize with all of you cutting cable, but I just had so many problems without cable that I had no choice but to set up cable in this room. Everything is a lot better now and I'm not as angry anymore at my TV for blacking out for no reason. 

Maybe I am one of the few that choose to not participate/support illegal activities on the internet.

You probably won't ever get caught, but if you do.....

And since you are anti Apple, you really should avoid the site, it's a haven for viruses.

And Google monitors your every move.

Stick with cable  :D

Adblock 

The viruses aren't the problem, or the ads, if you're smart. The problem is the terrible blocky feeds. 

Edited by ixcuincle

Adblock 

The viruses aren't the problem, or the ads, if you're smart. The problem is the terrible blocky feeds. 

I am familiar with all of the adware protections.  You will still get infected.

The problem when running on windows computers is there will always be a new adware or virus written that is not known by your protection software.

Who wants to deal with all of that crap anyways?  Like you said terrible blocky feeds, etc, it's just a big headache.

The problem with cord cutting is that inclement weather will mess up your signal. 

not with a good antenna, in fact it is less of a problem than with cable/sat (even in hurricanes)

It can certainly be more hassle than it is worth ,but it depends on what you want....and want to pay for.