Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cutting the Cable cord

praise_gibbs

I haven't had cable for about 4 years.  I have Cox's premier internet and I get the "lifeline" channels at no cost.  I don't get ESPN.  I've found that I havent really missed it at all.  Sometimes when a game is on MNF, I kind of wish I had it but it wears off quickly.

I have an apple TV unit that I stream netflix and hulu plus through as well as the other apps.  I like to watch the history channel app.  I also have a lot of iTunes content.

I mostly play games on the ps4 or play guitar. Sunday is usually my only tv day.  Now that the baseball playoffs have started, and the O's, Nats and Royals are in, I'll be tuning in and playing Destiny on the Vita... :D

I have Apple TV and a Mohu Leaf.

1. Watch Nats on MLB.tv

2. Watch ESPN and HBO on Apple TV using my parents' cable login (LOL)

3. Watch Netflex

4. Watch Redskins using my in-laws SlingBox that they're letting us use since SundayTicket.tv failed me

I think I will invest in a slingbox at some point and set it up at my parents' house in NoVa. Would save me on the MLB and ST packages long-term ... my wife and I just don't watch enough TV to justify it. Literally just watch sports and Game of Thrones and Netflix. No reason to pay $120+ a month like we were before for that and about 500 worthless channels.

Just a word for those thinking about cutting cable ... if you're die-hard sports fan like me ... it's really, really, really hard to do ... unless you buy a slingbox and have it hooked up at a friend's house or something. It's absolutely brutal. Cable companies are not stupid ... they know what's going on and they're doing things to prevent ease for cutters ... 

MLB.tv is only carrying select NLDS and NLCS games. If I have any hope of watching the Nats it's either going to a bar or shelling out the money and getting Fox Sports 1. 

I really wish there was an ala carte service. blech.

• Like 1

Mlb TV covers no powtweason games theyre all on fox sports 1 or tbs.

For whatever reason they're offering all games in the ALDS and ALCS ... but just Dodgers/Cards 2nd game and Nats/Giants 3rd game ... then Game 1 & 6 of the NLCS ... and every WS game for $10.

Not sure why the ALDS and ALCS has all games on there. 

Comcast's X1 platform is making it tough, man.  They just updated their X1 TV app so that you can stream anything off your X1 DVR from anywhere.  And if you're on your home network you can watch any channel you get live on any device.  :blink:

Just a word for those thinking about cutting cable ... if you're die-hard sports fan like me ... it's really, really, really hard to do ... unless you buy a slingbox and have it hooked up at a friend's house or something. It's absolutely brutal. Cable companies are not stupid ... they know what's going on and they're doing things to prevent ease for cutters ... 

MLB.tv is only carrying select NLDS and NLCS games. If I have any hope of watching the Nats it's either going to a bar or shelling out the money and getting Fox Sports 1. 

Damn it.  We do need the pro sports teams to start just pumping their own games/content to our screens.  Enough of this cable provider crap.

• Like 1

Why not just stream it online? 

I've never had issues streaming sports games that are not being broadcast on the basic channels.

Why not just stream it online? 

I've never had issues streaming sports games that are not being broadcast on the basic channels.

How so? You mean off FS1's website? I've been popping around looking for a place to 'watch live' and haven't found it. I'm guessing I'd have to use "my cable provider log-in" which ... I don't have.

How so? You mean off FS1's website? I've been popping around looking for a place to 'watch live' and haven't found it. I'm guessing I'd have to use "my cable provider log-in" which ... I don't have.

There are several streaming websites that broadcast sports games not affiliated with cable providers. A savvy google search will have them on the first page.

There are several streaming websites that broadcast sports games not affiliated with cable providers. A savvy google search will have them on the first page.

OoOoooOo

You mean ... illegally? I see. Good call ... I've been trying to do this "cable cutting" by the books so much I forgot about some of my good 'ol methods. Any favorites in particular? 

Just tested out Sling here at work. Comes in just dandy. Nice to know I'll be able to catch the first 2 hours of the game here at the office. Phew.

OoOoooOo

You mean ... illegally? I see. Good call ... I've been trying to do this "cable cutting" by the books so much I forgot about some of my good 'ol methods. Any favorites in particular?

No...technically, it's "fair play", claim ignorance. There's a thread on where to watch games online...verrrry useful.

Hmm... is there a streaming site or link in said thread that streams REdzone on Sundays? :)

Can someone link to the thread? Or is it pretty obvious (I haven't dug too deep in the pages nor tried to find out outright yet haha)

I'll search it out for ya, lazy ass...LOL, j/khttp://es.redskins.com/topic/281030-annual-where-do-i-watch-games-online-thread/?hl=%2Bgames+%2Bonline+%2Bannual Edited by skinsmarydu
  • Like 1

Hmm... is there a streaming site or link in said thread that streams REdzone on Sundays? :)

Can someone link to the thread? Or is it pretty obvious (I haven't dug too deep in the pages nor tried to find out outright yet haha)

sorry to quote again, but to let you know post #2895 is the link to use.
  • Like 1

If you cut cable how do you receive regular channels

I set my indoor antenna up to get all 4 major channels clearly but 2 days later I can't pick up CBS without getting a pixely blob of pink 

How do you all magically get perfect reception with your antennas 

TEach me your ways

If you cut cable how do you receive regular channels

I set my indoor antenna up to get all 4 major channels clearly but 2 days later I can't pick up CBS without getting a pixely blob of pink 

How do you all magically get perfect reception with your antennas 

TEach me your ways

1) you must have an antenna (seriously)

2) buy a digital box, pretty much any tech dept anywhere

3) hook it all up. You'll have anything available except cable stuff, which is pretty much everything. But that's how you handle watching stuff without watching stuff you wanna watch.

1) you must have an antenna (seriously)

2) buy a digital box, pretty much any tech dept anywhere

3) hook it all up. You'll have anything available except cable stuff, which is pretty much everything. But that's how you handle watching stuff without watching stuff you wanna watch.

Yeah, digital antennas that hook up to HD via HDMI go a long way now.  They have some high powered **** out there, compared to the good ole days with those huge ones on the roof top with that box with a big dial that rotated it lol.

Yeah, digital antennas that hook up to HD via HDMI go a long way now.  They have some high powered **** out there, compared to the good ole days with those huge ones on the roof top with that box with a big dial that rotated it lol.

When we moved back from Savannah (into his house we left for 4 years), we had the HDMI box for 6 months, and the clearest picture I've ever seen, beats Dish and cable. But we need the cable & phone, so why not max on TV, which we always did with Dish...gotta learn, and we have everything.

I actually got that $40 Mohu Leaf (on sale on Amazon at the time from $70 I think) ... I love it and the picture, when it comes in clean, is as crisp as they get. It's not an HDMI in though. I'd be interested in looking into one of those. Any suggestions?

The Mohu is somewhat low-powered. I live in an area that's roughly 35 miles east one one city and 35 miles west of another. I get Fox, NBC and a bunch of random local networks that carry CW and public access stuff. I bought a cheap amplifier for $8 or something like that and it didn't help much. It stinks that I can't get CBS or ABC at certain times of the day. Last night, couldn't pull in the CBS signal for TNF. It's not like I live in the boonies ... rural-ish and not in a major city ... sure ... but living between two decent sized cities/markets you would think I could pull in more channels.