Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Washington Post:- DHall: Jim Haslett was 'handcuffed' in his play-calling.

Gibbs Hog Heaven

Yea, and Haslett was handcuffed in Pittsburgh, New Orleans, and St. Louis too !

So, would this be the reason Haslett decided to hide up in the booth all year? Or is it the fact that he's spineless to stand up to his superiors if he sees something is wrong?

Maybe, just maybe, Mike S. realized that Haslett sucks, and had enough of his inabilities as a DC and felt he had to step in and take control of playcalling.

If you all thought Bang had it bad for Danny Smith, his bitterness bows to the dislike I have for Haslett; i'm already fit to be tied with Haslett being kept, and his butt should be on a 1-link chain with stimuli-shock sensors attached. 

I have given up hope on removing Haslett, i'm just gonna have to live with the fact that he'll probably never be let go. And the highest bridge in my area is only 14'5, not enough to make the effort.

words are cheap, #'s dont lie. When has this ever been the case  :unsure:

What is amusing is the notion that when Hall endorsed the coach that was fired it was because he had to if he wanted another contract.  But now that he is endorsing the coach that he currently works for it is because he really believes what he is saying

Yea, and Haslett was handcuffed in Pittsburgh, New Orleans, and St. Louis too !

So, would this be the reason Haslett decided to hide up in the booth all year? Or is it the fact that he's spineless to stand up to his superiors if he sees something is wrong?

Maybe, just maybe, Mike S. realized that Haslett sucks, and had enough of his inabilities as a DC and felt he had to step in and take control of playcalling.

A & B to me are compatible it doesn't have to be either or

A. Haslett isn't any defensive genius and could call a better game.  In his career, his defenses graded by yards per game average at #18.

B. Shanny isn't a defensive genius and could call a better game.  His horrible defenses in Denver got him fired.  And no Haslett had nothing to do with them.

As for Shanny calling plays specifically because he had no faith in Haslett. 1.  According to Mike Lombardi he called plays in Denver too and micro managed there.  2.  Shanny hasn't been shy in firing defensive coordinators in his career -- if he didn't think much of Haslett he'd fire him without a sweat. 

This was a great interview..

You can get mad at Haslett all you want but it is what it is!!  McNabb, Landry, Haynesworth, Rogers, Portis,Terrell Davis, RG3, Jim Hazlett and now D-Hall ( HIS BOY) all said that he wasnt a good communicator and he micromanaged. He alienated the media right when he came in the door! I mean who does that??  We went from Cerrrato and Zorn the court jestures to an ego driven Tirant and his over priviledged son! I've never felt so embarrassed to be a redskins fan while Shanahan was here. Zorn was tough to stomach but at least I knew Zorn was genuine and honest. And it wasnt his fault that Cerrato was incompetent. But Shanny was deceitful. Some of you really under estimate how bad it was here in Washington under Shanahan.

Shanahan must have called an awful lot of plays the last couple years.

We've been giving up 20 and 30 yard chunks like they were going out of style. I guess the fact that shanahan called one or two of them is supposed to supersede the other several dozen large chunk plays the defense gave up.

Excuses, excuses. Put a good defense on the field or go host a bingo tournament, Hasnotalent.

So...now that Haslett is no longer handcuffed, I'm assuming that the many, many missed tackles and poor angles issues will be solved. Yes, perhaps Shanahan did meddle where he shouldn't have but this is more excuses to me.

If Haslett was unhappy with his limited authority and the interference (no pun intended), then he should have quit and taken one of the many other offers I assume would have come his way...lol.

This was a great interview..

You can get mad at Haslett all you want but it is what it is!!  McNabb, Landry, Haynesworth, Rogers, Portis,Terrell Davis, RG3, Jim Hazlett and now D-Hall ( HIS BOY) all said that he wasnt a good communicator and he micromanaged. 

Add Cooley to that mix.  Cooley said that if Shanny had issues with players he didn't have the stomach to deal with it one on one with that player and instead resorted to other tactics, especially negative leaks to the media.   According to Cooley as bad as it got with RG3, not once did Shanny call him into his office and address it head on.  Cooley also said Shanny had a hard time just in general relating to the players.

Back to Haslett.  I don't think it needs to be and either or argument. A.  Haslett has proven to be a mediocre defensive coordinator.  B. It's well documented that Shanny both here and in Denver micromanages the defense -- and the results indicate he stinks at it.  C.  Both here and in Denver he was in charge of shopping for the groceries on defense -- results indicate he stinks at it.   So yeah I think Halsett will likely do better albeit not great (mediocre)  without the weight of Shanny's incompetence. 

Add Cooley to that mix. Cooley said that if Shanny had issues with players he didn't have the stomach to deal with it one on one with that player and instead resorted to other tactics, especially negative leaks to the media. According to Cooley as bad as it got with RG3, not once did Shanny call him into his office and address it head on. Cooley also said Shanny had a hard time just in general relating to the players.

Back to Haslett. I don't think it needs to be and either or argument. A. Haslett has proven to be a mediocre defensive coordinator. B. It's well documented that Shanny both here and in Denver micromanages the defense -- and the results indicate he stinks at it. C. Both here and in Denver he was in charge of shopping for the groceries on defense -- results indicate he stinks at it. So yeah I think Halsett will likely do better albeit not great (mediocre) without the weight of Shanny's incompetence.

The more that comes out the more you're absolutely dumbfounded. Yet STILL folk defend him. That I will NEVER understand.

Single worst HC in our long history.

Praise the good Lord above we're no longer suffering at his megalomaniac hands.

Hail.

The more that comes out the more you're absolutely dumbfounded. Yet STILL folk defend him. That I will NEVER understand.

Single worst HC in our long history.

There is a reason coaches are awful here.  Joe Gibbs NEVER had a 5 game winning season or a 6 game winning season in his first stint.

Hopefully our new coach doesn't fall fate to what every other coach has fallen to that comes here.

It is telling that Haslett moved upstairs this past season. 

Its so easy to figure out why, in hindsight. To get away from Mike. You often hear they see the field better but coaches seem to have no shortage of aerial still photos. He sacrificed speaking to players and being able to give calls / signals from the sideline, to get away from Mike.  Lets see if he is on the sideline in game 1 or not. 

Hate Haslett?  Just be happy he wasn't named head coach. He obviously was in good graces with higher ups. 

I never thought after Mike's tenure in Washington that I would be so relieved that he is gone from this organization.  Regardless of DHalls comments, noone really knows why Haz has been in the league so long.  He consistently fields an average/below average defense his entire career.  I think he will have to wow some people this year in order to keep his job during the Jay era.

I feel exactly the same way.  I'm just happy the Shanahans are out.  I don't have any clue how Haslett will be, I don't have a lot of hope, but at least we'll know for 100% that the defense is either his failure or his success.  

Its like the Zorn seasons with Vinny, Dan even came out and said, before they'd even hired Zorn, that this was Vinny's boat to steer.  Of course, he crashed it head first into a giant rock wall, but now he's gone.  Now, we'll either know that Haslett isn't as terrible as we feel, or he'll crash that boat into a rock wall and he'll be out of DC.

It's nice to hear some things like this though, since Hall has shown flashes of being great and flashes of being terrible.  Maybe we'll be seeing more of the Falcon's Hall, than the Raider's Hall.

I feel exactly the same way.  I'm just happy the Shanahans are out.  I don't have any clue how Haslett will be, I don't have a lot of hope, but at least we'll know for 100% that the defense is either his failure or his success.  

Its like the Zorn seasons with Vinny, Dan even came out and said, before they'd even hired Zorn, that this was Vinny's boat to steer.  Of course, he crashed it head first into a giant rock wall, but now he's gone.  Now, we'll either know that Haslett isn't as terrible as we feel, or he'll crash that boat into a rock wall and he'll be out of DC.

It's nice to hear some things like this though, since Hall has shown flashes of being great and flashes of being terrible.  Maybe we'll be seeing more of the Falcon's Hall, than the Raider's Hall.

This is an example of why we are not a consistently winning franchise.  Majority of people watching redskins games over the last 4 years would agree Haslett has failed miserably and doesnt warrant a 5th year or god forbid, an extension.  With that said, why must we waste a year evaluating what is certainly almost the truth (haslett cant lead a quality defense)? It couldve been restarted with fresh minds and talent, not band-aiding a bad unit and bringing back the same framework

A lot of LOL comments in this thread. 

Reminds me of when I was in the Navy.  Normally when a shipmate would transfer/leave a unit, invariably that person was blamed for most anything that went wrong for the next several months.  Most of the time, it was in jest....but on occasion it was to deflect blame form those that remained. 

I think the blaming of Shanahan WRT the defense, and how Haz was so limited and restricted....is a bit overblown.  I think we can look at Haz's track history and draw some conclusions that he was never a top flight DC....with or without Mike.  It is pretty clear in my mind that Haz is here mainly due to his prior connections with our new HC, our GM, and the fact that he has been an HC previously, and guess everyone feels better if Gruden has Haz to turn to with issues/questions concerning the job.

I hope Haz proves that he is a DC genius next season.....but personally I do not expect that.  I would like to see it happen, however, if for nothing more that to see pics of that poster that said he would eat his face if we had a top 5 D next season.  ;)

A lot of LOL comments in this thread. 

Reminds me of when I was in the Navy.  Normally when a shipmate would transfer/leave a unit, invariably that person was blamed for most anything that went wrong for the next several months.  Most of the time, it was in jest....but on occasion it was to deflect blame form those that remained. 

I think the blaming of Shanahan WRT the defense, and how Haz was so limited and restricted....is a bit overblown.  

I'd be with you on this point if Shanny didn't have his own horrific track record on defense.  Its why he got canned in Denver.  If you ran by a Denver fan and told them hey what happened to Shanny in Washington his defenses stunk -- their response wouldn't be, no way dude, that's impossible -- instead they likely would laugh and nod their head and say that's why we ultimately had to get rid of the dude.  

But heck lets forget all that, I think too much attention is devoted to how Shanny was involved or uninvolved with the game planning. Lets go crazy and say he wasn't involved one whit with it.  It's still more on him.   It was Shanny not Haslett who built this defensive roster.   I don't get how the guy who shops for the groceries is absolved?  If we are going to hang Cerrato for building a bad roster, why should Shanny get a pass for it?    

A & B to me are compatible it doesn't have to be either or

A. Haslett isn't any defensive genius and could call a better game.  In his career, his defenses graded by yards per game average at #18.

B. Shanny isn't a defensive genius and could call a better game.  His horrible defenses in Denver got him fired.  And no Haslett had nothing to do with them.

As for Shanny calling plays specifically because he had no faith in Haslett. 1.  According to Mike Lombardi he called plays in Denver too and micro managed there.  2.  Shanny hasn't been shy in firing defensive coordinators in his career -- if he didn't think much of Haslett he'd fire him without a sweat. 

Compatibility, such an ironic word to use when discussing Redskins football.

Haslett isn't any defensive genius;  check.

Shanny isn't any defensive genius;  check.

It shows Mike had no clue on defenses, and that doesn't help Haslett's credibility; If Mike doesn't recognize a good DC, what does that say about Haslett? It says Mike doesn't/didn't know how to beef a team up defensively, and the facts are that Haslett doesn't either.

What I sincerely hope doesn't happen but fear it will, is Haslett will be kept, the defense will continue to be out of sync, out of position, and playing vanilla defenses with no creativity, and the cries at that point will be " oh, well Haslett has just started to be able to actually be the DC without anyone meddling, and he needs 3-4 years to get it together".

So it brings to question, exactly where is the 'enough is enough' plateau at?

Haslett's just much more likable than Shanahan, and since he's sticking around, they gotta support him and say it was the other guy's fault.

But if they come out next year and aren't any good on defense again, I can't wait to hear the excuses come out of Redskins Park.  They way they're talking, anything short of a top 10 defense is a unacceptable.  They're going to have cap space, new players, and freedom.  No more excuses.  But I'm sure we'll hear the inevitable "it takes time to gel with all the new guys" line, when they're 23rd overall at the end of September.  

So...now that Haslett is no longer handcuffed, I'm assuming that the many, many missed tackles and poor angles issues will be solved. Yes, perhaps Shanahan did meddle where he shouldn't have but this is more excuses to me.

If Haslett was unhappy with his limited authority and the interference (no pun intended), then he should have quit and taken one of the many other offers I assume would have come his way...lol.

Maybe we will get better results this season. If not I think Hass knows he's out of here, but then again I said the same thing last season so go figure.

Haslett's just much more likable than Shanahan, and since he's sticking around, they gotta support him and say it was the other guy's fault.

But if they come out next year and aren't any good on defense again, I can't wait to hear the excuses come out of Redskins Park.  They way they're talking, anything short of a top 10 defense is a unacceptable.  They're going to have cap space, new players, and freedom.  No more excuses.  But I'm sure we'll hear the inevitable "it takes time to gel with all the new guys" line, when they're 23rd overall at the end of September.  

Hahaha.. I can see this happening too. Although, I think he (Hass) may do better this season. The NFL was horrible last season. It was definitely a down year for teams. I mean Seattle won the Superbowl for crying out loud. 

Archived