Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Washington Post:- DHall: Jim Haslett was 'handcuffed' in his play-calling.

Gibbs Hog Heaven

Probably won't allay folks fears on the DC, but it just adds to what some of us saw/ mooted from Week 1 on last year and what gives us renewed hope going into 2014 along with his own, upgraded staff and (hopefully) upgraded personnel. 

Top half the league/ top 16 D next year to compliment RGIII's return to National prominence with competent teaching/ play-calling. 

Book It! 

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2014/02/20/deangelo-hall-jim-haslett-was-handcuffed-in-his-play-calling/

My serious-reporting buddies made it pretty clear that Jim Haslett believes he was held back by Mike Shanahan’s meddling in recent seasons. From their what-went-wrong explainer:

Haslett, the defensive coordinator and a former NFL head coach, also had part of his play-calling duties on the defense usurped by Shanahan, according to two coaches and a veteran player.

One of Shanahan’s first calls came in September 2011, during a game at Dallas. With the Cowboys on their own 30 with 2 minutes 20 seconds to play, Shanahan called an all-out blitz — “Cover-0,” as it is known — and it backfired, resulting in Dallas quarterback Tony Romo sits to pee finding wide receiver Dez Bryant for a 30-yard gain. Dallas eventually kicked a field goal for an 18-16 victory, and Haslett was left to shoulder the blame.

Now, months later, DeAngelo Hall is willing to put his name to that same sort of claim.

“Defensively man, I just feel like we played so bad last year, we’ve got some unfinished business to definitely take care of,” Hall told ESPN 980′s “Inside the Locker Room” on Wednesday. “I’m excited after talking to Haslett about the possibility of him being able to just run his defense without anybody in his ear telling him what to call or what not to call. So I’m really excited to see Haz unleash his full arsenal of play calls.”

That’s interesting. Brian Mitchell then mentioned that he thinks Haslett could be better without interference.

“I mean, he’s been in this league for so long for a reason,” Hall said. “It’s not because he’s the best-looking guy; it’s because he can call plays and have a great defense. No disrespect to Mike Shanahan, he’s a great coach, but he liked to micromanage things. He kind of liked his hands on everything. Jay [Gruden's] kind of like look, I’m gonna let Haz kind of do his thingObviously if I see something that I feel like as an offense we can stop or we can’t stop, I’ll definitely let him know, give him a heads-up on some things to help us get better as team. But Haz is going to get to do what he does.

“And like I told Haz years ago, when I was kind of getting handcuffed as a player, I told him I understand you’re getting handcuffed as a coach,” Hall continued. “Imagine how I feel as a player being told that I have to do something a certain way, because I’ve always stressed to people that playing corner, it’s chess. It’s not let me stand right here and you catch this ball. I’m sorry, it’s not checkers, it’s chess, where you have to strategically play that chess match with your opponent. I have to play off, I have to fake like I’m going jam, I have to kind of mix and match with some of these top notch receivers to kind of keep them off balance.

“So Haz definitely understood where I was coming from as a player,” Hall concluded. “And I felt him, because he definitely as a coach needs to be able to kind of play chess with the other coordinator too.”

Hail.

Yeah, every year we hear something like this.

I think we're about a signing/franchise tag away from hearing how Orakpo is punching Trent right in the throat and then going and sacking Rob... and then coming back and using Trent for toilet paper.

I never thought after Mike's tenure in Washington that I would be so relieved that he is gone from this organization.  Regardless of DHalls comments, noone really knows why Haz has been in the league so long.  He consistently fields an average/below average defense his entire career.  I think he will have to wow some people this year in order to keep his job during the Jay era.

If you repeat the lie enough times, most people will believe it....

Unless it's about Jim Haslett.

This laughable marketing campaign has been going on even before the "search" for a DC. I suppose there's some chance that Jim Haslett is a secret mastermind that was handcuffed by a domineering HC, but the fact that he wasn't even employed in the NFL at the time said HC recruited him kinda puts a damper on this wacky narrative.

Of course, I'm sure this marketing ploy will sell some tickets to the less.....discerning Redskin fan.

Just as a few of us believed it was, now everyone knows how it was for Haslett. Of course it doesn't give him a pass on everything, so let's be clear about that.

That said if DHall knows that Shamalamb was micromanaging and was handcuffed to run the defensive play calls his way than I makes me more hopeful that we will see a dynamic difference in how our defense performs.

EVen if our defense is able to give up and average of 17-20 pts per game than we WILL WIN a whole lot more games than we did in either of the last 3 seasons.

I believe we will got 11-5, division champs again and stronger going into the post season. That's my read on the upcoming season.

If you repeat the lie enough times, most people will believe it....

Unless it's about Jim Haslett.

This laughable marketing campaign has been going on even before the "search" for a DC. I suppose there's some chance that Jim Haslett is a secret mastermind that was handcuffed by a domineering HC, but the fact that he wasn't even employed in the NFL at the time said HC recruited him kinda puts a damper on this wacky narrative.

Of course, I'm sure this marketing ploy will sell some tickets to the less.....discerning Redskin fan.

Damn dude, you're even more cynical than I thought I was. Step away from the edge, take a deep breath and bake some cookies. \

You'll feel better and all warm inside from the cookies. Not everything is a conspiracy, unless it is.

right because other than that one call in dallas the defense was stellar ....

the defense was consistently bad.  no, it was historically bad, absolutely terrible.  it wasn't just Shannahan calling the occasional play.  the defense suuuuuuuuuuucked about as bad as any defense has ever sucked in the NFL.  I do not have faith that things will be significantly different on that side of the ball.

right because other than that one call in dallas the defense was stellar ....

the defense was consistently bad.  no, it was historically bad, absolutely terrible.  it wasn't just Shannahan calling the occasional play.  the defense suuuuuuuuuuucked about as bad as any defense has ever sucked in the NFL.  I do not have faith that things will be significantly different on that side of the ball.

Until that zero blitz call by Shanny on 3rd and 21........the defense held Dallas to 5 FGs.  Not to mention, 17 first downs for the game (we had 20),and the fact that Romo sits to pee was held to almost identical stats as Rex, except Rex actually threw a TD that game.  

Also, Hall had held Dez to 3 catches for 33 yards the ENTIRE game until that bonehead call.  Romo sits to pee bought time and had a one on one matchup with Dez, no safety help at the most critical time in the game.  Not only did it override Haz, that call put Hall in a horrible position.  And if I remember correctly, Hall had to grab his facemask to stop the play and got the penalty.

Since winning his 2 rings, Shanahan has consistently hired incompetent lackeys at all positions, ESPECIALLY DEFENSE, to do his bidding. Haslett sucks. He was hired by Shanny because he sucks, or rather, because he had been thoroughly discredited by all his previous failures and would thus be beholden to Mikey for his continued employment.

Saying Haslett coulda been/will be great if not hamstrung by Shanny is like saying Cerrato would've been successful if not hamstrung by Snyder.

Saying Haslett coulda been/will be great if not hamstrung by Shanny is like saying Cerrato would've been successful if not hamstrung by Snyder.

I haven't seen even the most devout homers saying he'll be 'great' R-t.

Just folk not going overboard on the retention and seeing the positives of a better staff/ personnel and no outside interference. Something he hasn't been truly afforded in his time here.

A middle of the pack D will go a long way with the potential for what the O can do this coming year.

Hail.

More lip service. Put up or shut up.

Exactly.

If Haslett can actually coach up a decent defense for the first time in a decade then awesome...I'll be happy.

Do I think it'll happen? No. Do I think Mike Shanahan's impact on him was the only thing coaching wise that made this defense abysmal the past two years? No. Do I have any expectation that Haz won't be the same Haz he's been for years as a DC? No.

Hell, for all we know the "handcuffs" placed on Haz could just as easily be to blame for the late season improvement last year as it was for the horrifically bad times throughout the past two. It's not like the last two years here were major abberations of Haz's history with defenses under his leadership.

If it happens, great. Always happy when the team does well. But if I was betting, it'd be against having a defense in the top half of hte league.

Shanahan's hands on role in the defense doesn't absolve Haslett from blame.

But I think anyone can agree that when the person in charge of a unit is over ruled then the product good or bad isn't his to own.

I am not saying the defense is going to great. Nothing about Haslett's coaching suggests it would be.

But when you combine the lack of talent, poor special teams and apparent Mike Shanahan influence it makes sense that the defense should be better.

Just as a few of us believed it was, now everyone knows how it was for Haslett. Of course it doesn't give him a pass on everything, so let's be clear about that.

That said if DHall knows that Shamalamb was micromanaging and was handcuffed to run the defensive play calls his way than I makes me more hopeful that we will see a dynamic difference in how our defense performs.

EVen if our defense is able to give up and average of 17-20 pts per game than we WILL WIN a whole lot more games than we did in either of the last 3 seasons.

I believe we will got 11-5, division champs again and stronger going into the post season. That's my read on the upcoming season.

More power to you, but this makes no sense to me. And I don't mean this in a personal way at all, but, how in the world can one have a "read" on next season, of us going 11-5 and playing strong in the playoffs? We only have a little over half of our roster signed, we haven't gone through the FA or Draft process yet, we have a first time head coach, a first time OC, an unproven ST coach, and a well below average DC returning. How can anyone have anything resembling a legitimate basis for having a "read" on the next season? We're going from 3-13 to 11-5 purely based on our HC no longer handcuffing one of the most statistically inept DC's currently employed in the NFL? I don't get it.

I'm optimistic that Jay is going to be a real shot in the arm for this offense, and a breath of fresh air for this franchise. I'm also optimistic that RG3 is going to return to form, and that hopefully an infusion of improved personnel via additional cap space, can overcome some of our deficiencies on defense in particular. However, let's at least get through FA, the draft, some training camps etc… before we proclaim this team NFC East champs and playoff bound. 

Sorry, but I think proclamations that an end to Shanahan's revisionist allegations of meddling with Haslett are the difference between 3-13 and 11-5, at this juncture, are totally over the top. 

This isn't to defend Haslett, there are other options I think they should have pursued, instead.  However, Shanny's failures on defense are well documented and its why he ultimately was fired in Denver.

Here he inherited a defense that was top ten or close to it, granted overrated but at least decent and helped turn it into one of the worst in the league.   In his 4 drafts on defense, he added one good player, Ryan Kerrigan.  Maybe a couple of slightly above average guys in Riley and Amerson.  In Fa, he's been hit and miss on defense with more misses only big hit that hits me is Cofield.   In that exact same stretch of time, when Pete Carroll inherited his losing team -- Seattle added a ton of young talent to their defense.

Mike Lombardi said in an interview about 1.5 years ago that one thing few know about Shanny is that he spends a lot of time game planning for the defensive unit and at times more in that department than on offense.     

So did Mike Shan handcuff Haz prior to his employment with Washington? Cuz I can't remember a time where one of his defensive units cracked the top 5.

I am not absolving Haslett but I think we are ignoring a major point if we don't go over Shanny's record on defense.

Here's the ESPN article written when Shanny was fired from Denver, sound familiar?

The Broncos' defense gave up 448 points, third worst in the NFL, including 112 during the three-game collapse at the end. It was ranked 29th in yards allowed and tied for last in the NFL with a minus-17 turnover margin.

In Denver, Shanahan ran everything and as things went downhill, he relieved defensive coordinators -- Greg Robinson, Ray Rhodes, Larry Coyer and Jim Bates -- in almost revolving-door fashion.

It's not clear how it contributed to his firing, but the Rocky Mountain News reported on Tuesday night that Bowlen asked Shanahan to make another change at defensive coordinator -- this time cutting loose Bob Slowik. Shanahan reportedly refused. He had said after Sunday's loss that he would not fire another defensive coordinator.

This year, as the defense floundered, it became obvious it wasn't just a coaching problem. It was an issue of talent on the field, and in Denver, the buck stopped with Shanahan.

He focused on defense in 2007, using two of his four picks for defensive linemen Jarvis Mossand Tim Crowder, neither of whom has been much of a factor. Also of late, he wasted a third-round pick on Maurice Clarett (2005), spent millions on Travis Henry (2007), never got anything from Boss BaileyNiko Koutouvides and Dewayne Robertson (2008).

My guess it that Haz has 1 season to prove himself.  After 1 season, JG2 (Joe Gibbs the 2nd I hope) will be established with the 'Skins and will be comfortable with changing d-coordinator if it is called for.

Changing d-coordinator this year would have been stretching the new coach too thin to get the offense up and running the way he wants to. 

Does anyone know why Haslett was coaching from the booth last year? I know in his previous three years here he was coaching from the sidelines and I thought coming off a division winning season in 2012 that it was a little odd that he would change to coaching from the booth the very next season. I ask this question seriously and wonder if it had anything to do with a crumbled relationship between him and Shanahan. Anyway, I'm again one of the few that am optimistic that Haslett will do at least a competent job under Gruden and as Gibbs Hog Heaven said, "A middle of the pack D will go a long way" is something that I agree with.

Archived