Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Washington Post:- DHall: Jim Haslett was 'handcuffed' in his play-calling.

Gibbs Hog Heaven

I have to confess I have never heard of 'Almond Joy', much less tasted it.

Are you serious?  If you like coconut and chocolate then you need to head to your nearest mini-mart and grab one.  They're fantastic.  The only problem is, you can eat a ton of them quick. lol

So, you like nuts, eh? :P   Sorry, I couldn't resist.  Ever had a Mounds bar?

Back to the topic;  ask yourself this; if Haslett were to be let go today, can you honestly, seriously, say that there is another NFL team out there who would sign him?…...Its not about the talent your players have, its about how coaches can bring out and utilize that player's potential.

lol, no, that's why I said if they had one without almonds, but with milk chocolate instead of dark (not a big fan of Mounds because of that), that would be my first pick. 

I agree with you on all points.  My point wasn't that Haslett deserves/is worth/could be better with/ another chance, it was that he sucks, having Mike here won't likely make a difference, and we're all stuck with him anyway because we have no say in the matter.  I'm basically looking on the bright side.  That's the only thing most of us non-pitch fork and torch people (like my bro GHH) have been doing.  

I don't think Mike leaving will make a difference, but I don't think Mike being here was helping either.  There's always a chance (even a blind squirrel…yada yada yada).

While I do agree that coaches can bring out great potential, there's a load of talent on Seattle and San Fran's Ds, so it's not as if their coaches just polished a turd and sold it as a diamond.  Those teams are stacked.  We are not.  I would love if Grilliams came back, but that's not happening.  

So, for now HTTR, and Haslett, don't lose it for us, hopefully we'll load up on defensive talent.

Are you serious?  If you like coconut and chocolate then you need to head to your nearest mini-mart and grab one.  They're fantastic.  The only problem is, you can eat a ton of them quick. lol

as a native brit, i got one word for you.... 'cadbury'.

in england, theres not your usual chocolate lineup. lots of air filled chocolates and the like. 

i'm in the minority in that i dont like coconut. but i'll drink a pina colada, but solid coconut activates a gag reflex in me i've never gotten over. :)

as a native brit, i got one word for you.... 'cadbury'…. solid coconut activates a gag reflex in me i've never gotten over. :)

I love cadbury eggs.  

My wife is the same way, hates solid coconut and can taste it no matter how little is in something.  :lol:

i'm in the minority in that i dont like coconut. but i'll drink a pina colada, but solid coconut activates a gag reflex in me i've never gotten over. :)

You're weird! Just like me! :P

I've never heard of cocoanut giving someone a gag reflex, but then again, at times I will get a cocoanut from the store and drain the juice and enjoy it, and its an acquired taste.

So, i'm guessing Gruden is a 3-4 guy; I wonder how 'determined' he will be at trying to get it to work? Better yet, whats his patience meter top out at, because IMO it will be tested.

We will see... no more excuses after this year.  I want to know whats been his excuse for his past and previous defenses? this dude is a clown and he may be liked in the NFL coaches circle, but the proof is always in the pudding and i feel like hes trying to serve up tapioca! His history does not serve him will and i say anything outside a top 10 finish for defense has us finding a more qualified candidate for the position. I have a feeling Gruden will see and feel the same thing weve felt over the last 3 years-4 years.  I was so bummed when he was able to stick around even though everyone else got the boot. Something isnt right to me..

We will see... no more excuses after this year.  I want to know whats been his excuse for his past and previous defenses? this dude is a clown and he may be liked in the NFL coaches circle, but the proof is always in the pudding and i feel like hes trying to serve up tapioca! His history does not serve him will and i say anything outside a top 10 finish for defense has us finding a more qualified candidate for the position. I have a feeling Gruden will see and feel the same thing weve felt over the last 3 years-4 years.  I was so bummed when he was able to stick around even though everyone else got the boot. Something isnt right to me..

The excuses were used up last year, then came the info of Shanny being involved in the defense, which, in some's eyes, gave Haslett a cop-out.  Maybe Mike saw Haslett's ineptness and decided he had to do something, who knows really why.

I started a thread before last season started [ Haslett, time for him to show something ], and the overwhelming responses were Haslett should be on a very short leash, and if the defense had not improved by mid-season, he should have been canned. Well, it didn't happen. Fast forward to this season, and we're in the same boat as before.  Everyone's questioning Haslett's continual employment with the Redskins, and the question is just what will it take for Haslett to be removed?

The defense pre-Shanny was pretty decent; not top tier, but much much better than what it is now, and it has continued to drop off, year after year, but the focal point last year was Mike's meddling and leaking, Griffin's huge drop-off from 2012, and it took alot of focus off Haslett's ineptness.

Now we have a new HC; the question now is, how much patience will he have with Haslett, and how dedicated he will be with the 3-4, especially if there is a lack of improvement, because thus far, like every defense Haslett's been a part of, has dropped season after season, and excuses are no longer acceptable.

I would just to hear the reason for keeping Haslett on staff? What possibly could be highlighted about the way Haz has ran this defense Into the ground? It baffles me and I think to myself "there must be something they see that I don't". Exactly like you say, we had so many issues last year that the incompetence this defense and coach showed was overshadowed, and that's why I say this year there can be no more excuses. He will have to produce or get out. I would have been happier keeping both shanahans and getting rid of Haz and Burns. Instead, we kept the guy I've wanted gone for years now. Ridiculous

The problem with our defense last year was they were on the field too much due to our poor offensive performance.  Hell, for the better part of 2-3 quarters they were out there until the offense decided to show up in the 3rd or 4th quarter.  I'm not saying it would have been top 10 or anything like that.  And God knows there were games like the KC one where you just sat there like what the hell (that was both ST and D).

But there were a lot of games they did make plays and stops, forced FGs instead of allowing TDs and played fairly well, until they just got exhausted.  There were also a lot of times in games where they would force a turnover and the offense would go 3 and out and get no points.  They gave up less yards than they did in 2012, still forced a lot of turnovers (not quite as many as 2012), scored on a lot of TOs (4 times I think?).  

We need to improve on defense, absolutely agree with that and I'm not solely blaming it on the offense.  But 2012 our offense was playing extremely well, keeping the defense off the field, putting up points.  The defense in the beginning of that season, not good at all (yes we can blame it on injury, especially secondary).  They meshed, pulled it together and started balling the last 7 games, but they also had a top 5 offense that was balling with them.

Last year, our offense was horrible for the first part of the season and didnt really get back to that level of 2012.  Our defense was on the field more and the way its built and the players we have, they are not a defense that can stay on the field the entire game (like Seattle or Carolina, or San Fran).  Sadly, the success of our defense relies on the success of our offense, not the other way around.

If the D still reeks by week 6, that'll be enough for me

I have posted this numerous times, I would put a short leash on Haslett, considering his overall NFL body of work and the performance here thus far. I would even be down for giving Raheem the rest of the year just on principal of changing what is not working. 

What's wrong with tapioca pudding?

Nothing when you are pudding you're best foot forward. 

I have posted this numerous times, I would put a short leash on Haslett, considering his overall NFL body of work and the performance here thus far. I would even be down for giving Raheem the rest of the year just on principal of changing what is not working.

^^This X 100, make it Haslett's job to lose but if he does, pull the trigger, no more screwin' around.

You should be ashamed for this

SWFL,  you can do better than that!

Anyhoo, I'm guessing Gruden wants to stick to the 3-4, so I can't say there will be improvement. Haslett was a 4-3 guy, and that will likely be his cop-out, being the 3-4 has been here for 4 years and has not shown steady improvement. The defense cannot rely on the offense to carry the load, and that was what saved Haslett in 2012. It should have been improved, even a little, but it fell apart, no, it never existed in 2013.

Yes, the offense does have a hand in the big picture, even sustaining drives would have given the defense time to catch their breath, regroup, but week 1 was the telltale of the season to come, and the preparation, or lack thereof, falls solely on Haslett.

I'm in the boat being in favor of at least keeping Mike and/or Kyle around for 1 more year, and throwing Haslett and Burns out [ and there's alot of room in this boat too ] but thats all done, no point in tripping over something behind me, but if the defense still resembles 2013, Haslett should be fired in dramatic fashion, like at halftime, to send a message.

Oh, and something not to do with this topic, the big guy to the left is coming in May, and I haven't been that excited since 2012. Hope its not an epic fail like 2013...

SIC

Skins, I get that week one the D looked bad ( especially early in the game) but you remember our O didn't score a point in the first half. We didn't score for 3 quarters the second time we played them.

I don't get why you want to dump haslett (which is totally fair) yet keep mike (the guy who hired haslett and burns) and Kyle, the guy whose offenses can always move the ball, yet can't score?

How many games into the season was our D out scoring the O in the first half? It was pathetic. And didn't get better with Kirk vs a couple if crap D's at the end. We just couldn't score points.

We were 23rd in the league in scoring last year vs one of the easiest defensive schedules in the league.

Skins, I get that week one the D looked bad ( especially early in the game) but you remember our O didn't score a point in the first half. We didn't score for 3 quarters the second time we played them.

I don't get why you want to dump haslett (which is totally fair) yet keep mike (the guy who hired haslett and burns) and Kyle, the guy whose offenses can always move the ball, yet can't score?

How many games into the season was our D out scoring the O in the first half? It was pathetic. And didn't get better with Kirk vs a couple if crap D's at the end. We just couldn't score points.

We were 23rd in the league in scoring last year vs one of the easiest defensive schedules in the league.

Oh, I agree; but, if I even HINT at Griffin being partially to blame, the pro-Griffin group will not hesitate to let me know that he's the greatest thing since the internet, and he had absolutely no part in the demise of the 2013 season.

The blame quickly shifts to Mike and Kyle, and i'm not going to totally defend either, but in the same breath i'm not going to leave Griffin blameless either. His lack of sustaining drives was a result of his lack of an offseason, and I get that, but that doesn't exclude him from blame; he was on the field executing plays, not Mike or Kyle. I was only giving my opinion of what I would have done, and it would have cleared the air 100% of who was to blame, once Griffin had a full offseason to work with besides re-hab.

Cousins was in the wrong place at the wrong time; the season was well over, players don't necessarily hustle like they normally would had they been in the hunt [ see 2012 ], but once again the pro-griffin crowd will be quick to point fingers. I'm not saying he would have done better, but I doubt he would have been worse, but we'll never know.

There's still the possibility that Griffin comes out this year and has a much better year, but there's also the chance that he doesn't; question is, will he be held accountable, or will it be the list of excuses of why he hasn't gotten better. And I don't have a single thing against the kid, but accountability is a big thing with me, and I have a helluva lot more respect for a player to come out and tell the media 'I stunk, this was my fault', but we got a mixture last year, and the focus was on who the others were, not him so much.

But, Haslett's involvement, or lack of, in the defense, the failure in converting to a 3-4, the vanilla zone ran so much, shows a lack of creativity, and yes you can only do so much with what you have, but 2012 looked light years better in the 2nd half of the season than what was shoveled on the field in 2013. Again, accountability is the thing; but his overall track record doesn't do him any favors, and actually it bears to question why he was even kept, unless there just was nothing out there, and that was proven wrong, by my guy, G. Williams.

If the defense stinks again this year, will they actually remove him? I doubt it, and thats what has me baffled, as some have come to accept that this was all Mike's fault and Haslett, in a weird way, had become a scapegoat, and therefore gets the benefit of a doubt, while his history proves otherwise.

SIC

• 2 weeks later...

I keep hearing how the defense will be more aggressive this season. It makes me believe Shanahan was calling the shots on defense. Haslett likes to bring pressure. Why did that stop? It seemed like the defense was very aggressive, up until the St. Louis game 2 years ago. The 3-4 defense is all about being aggressive, multiple fronts, confusing the QB etc. We will see.

Now that Shanny is gone and not handcuffing him with the play calling, Bruce is now handcuffing him with player talent.

The guy just cannot seem to get a break.

We have 0 game changing upper tier playmakers on this defense and all the FAs are now gone.

There were several optionsto choose from this year and we came up goose eggs.

Orakpo will still get his 10 sacks at various meaningless times and Hall will get his 1 pick for every 10 times he gets burned or flagged.

Perry Riley will still be average, we will not have a true nose tackle, and we will still have most of the players from last year for the 30th ranked defense.

Maybe Haslet should just quit now while he's behind.

Perfect time to go back to the 4-3; afterall, Haslett himself claimed he was more of a 4-3 guy so it would eliminate any possible excuses.

If Haslett keeps his job, there has to be a huge change in the philosophy and mindset of the defense. They have been playing 'reactionary' defense, where offenses did what they wanted and the defense had to/tried to adjust mid-play.

Haslett should play uber-aggressive; have 9 man fronts, with a man in front of every receiver, and as the ball is snapped and the receiver begins to take his first step, the coverage should knock them on their asses, give them a good 'check' at the LOS.

It would disrupt timing, slow the receiver down, give the linemen more time to get to the QB, and dictate to offenses instead of vice versa.

Now, this is all useless unless proper coaching and execution is made, but a defense which plays more aggressive tends to play better than one who plays reactionary. If a CB is playing 5 - 8 yds off a receiver, any receiver with agility has the advantage and a 2 step momentum built before the CB turns his hips; ****-slapping receivers at the LOS will build confidence in the defense; we've seen it before, remember?

Now, i'm not going soft on Haslett, IMO he's been a failure, but here's his perfect chance to prove himself, no excuses, no buts, either get the job done or get the hell out.

SIC

I don't believe he was truly handcuffed, I think Shanahan overrode a few things but not to the point where it excuses poor play on the defenses part.  It seems to me like a ploy to sell his status here to the fans who want him gone.

I am not confident in Allen or Haslett, and I am shaky with Gruden in general because I'm skeptical on how he will do here.  But that's just me and my admittingly kinda worthless opinion.

Really don't want Haslett or Allen here anymore, excuses only get you so far and I think he is just trying to bide his time.  I would absolutely love to be proven wrong though.

Archived