Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things Star Trek

88Comrade2000

Actually, I just recently re-watched DS9, on Netflix.  And yeah, they did have some interesting characters. 

I liked Garack and Dukat.  (Although Dukat got really lame, towards the end.)  Really good tough guy / bad guys. 

Whenever I'd see their names on the "Guest Stars" at the beginning of the episode, I would anticipate seeing them. 

In fact, about the only character I didn't like, from that series, was Kira.  She just didn't seem as substantial as the others. 

Wow.  I just noticed this. 

Andrew Robinson, who played Garack, played the Bad Guy in Dirty Harry. 

(See if this works): 

MV5BMTU0NzI0MDg3NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTg4

Edited by Larry

I was about to profusely apologize to you, till you voted for Save The Wales.  :)

(Still, I think the best movie was The Motion Picture, so now you can make comments about my taste.)

I wouldn't vote The Motion Picture as my top, but I do find it enjoyable unlike some people. Personally, though, my favorite was Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country.

• 3 months later...

I was listening to a spoiler podcast for Doctor Who and they podcaster mentioned a Star Trek rumor.

The current reboot maybe reversed.

The next movie or TV show could be returning to the original timeline?

The next TV show would be set in the future beyond the the TNG/DS9/V era.

It could be just a rumor or wishful wishing among the podcaster, who admittingly hated the 2 reboots.

Sounds more like wishful thinking. Can't see how a new ST would get picked up on a legit network. Does UPN still exist?

Pointing out that non-network avenues seem to be becoming more viable, now days. 

HBO has produced some really successful series. 

And I'm wondering if Netflix might be about to reach a tipping point.  I remember posting an article, a while back, that Disney had signed on to produce four "series" (13 episodes each), and a miniseries, around four lesser Marvel characters (the "flawed heroes of Hell's kitchen".  Daredevil, I forget who else.), direct to Netflix.  (Which also seems to be doing OK with "House of Cards".) 

Despite a putrid 1st season, I still think TNG stands head and shoulders above the other spinoffs. Enterprise was rather awful, and neither it nor Voyager produced any memorable characters. DS9 to me was all over the place -occasionally brilliant, but often pointless and/or boring. Odo Quark and DuKat were great characters. All the hybrid chick characters were like MNF sideline reporters - waste of space eye candy. Kira and the Doc were annoying. Scorpio turned Kim Cardassian was mildly interesting at times.

They should've done a Capt Sulu based series instead of Voyager, or at least instead of Enterprise. And by the way, that had to be the gayest theme song ever.

With the success of the two reboot movies and the new Star Wars flicks coming out. Sci-Fi series could get another boost here. I agree with folks who would like it not on a major network, but in a 10-12 episode HBO style thing. Hell, Sons of Anarchy went almost 90 min last season per episode. But they had breaks. So, either 1 hour on a HBO or 90 min on a AMC/FX/whatever. That would be great.

I'm in the minority. I have always thought the premise of Voyager was by and far better than TNG or any of the other storylines.

edit..I said premise. Not the actual show (but I did like Voyager more than DS9 or Enterprise).

BTW - moving a series to a pay channel isn't always the best way to go. Starz ruined Torchwood when it picked it up from the BBC's hands. I would hope nothing like that would happen to Trek.

Edited by The Evil Genius

so... i went to the Nats game on Sunday, and left my wife alone with my three daughters.   (Sunday is normally a day that she gets a lot of crap done, and i mostly juggle the kids)

anyway, my wife let my kids watch "The Menagerie" episode of Star Trek on Netflix.   Its the episode where they wrapped a plot using Captain Kirk around the original series pilot (in the pilot they had a different Captain, but the actor died in a car wreck (I think?) and they had to bring TJ Hooker as the new Captain when the series got picked up).

star%2Btrek-menagerie.jpg

anyway anyway....   when i got home i found the doodles my daughter was making while she watched.... it was one of the "buttheads" standing in front of a toilet with a big question mark over his head as he is scratching his head with one hand and his butt with the other....  

(he doesn't know which end to put on the toilet)

it caught me by surprise, and i almost swallowed my tongue :)

menagerie4.jpg

Edited by mcsluggo

Battlestar on Sci-fi was handled pretty well. "basic" cable I guess.

I think that doing an after TNG/DS9/Voyager thing would mean they could guest star those characters just aged a few decades.

tng_s6_01.jpg

It was a huge gamble and Battlestar didn't have nearly the following/history that Star Trek does.

What do we base this new series on? Do we want it like TOS and/or TNG? Do we expect it to be more like the movies (more action oriented)? How much exploration vs continuing plots?

I agree that the premise of Voyager was the most interesting of all the series. It was poorly written and executed, but the premise was great. The best star trek, IMO, is the last three season of DS9, but even they fell short of what I would have wanted.

I don't know what I want so I don't have an answer.

I'm in the minority. I have always thought the premise of Voyager was by and far better than TNG or any of the other storylines.

edit..I said premise. Not the actual show (but I did like Voyager more than DS9 or Enterprise).

BTW - moving a series to a pay channel isn't always the best way to go. Starz ruined Torchwood when it picked it up from the BBC's hands. I would hope nothing like that would happen to Trek.

How could it be possible to ruin Torchwood? It would be like saying a sequels to The Last Airbender or Battlefield Earth did not didn't live up to the originals.

Nevermind you liked TNG if I recall.

BBC America still shows old TNG episodes. Beyond their use of Tablet Computers and Smartphones, its funny to think how much better Fx would be today.

My solution is this.......Mini-Series. Either something after TNG or make use of the team and production from the next reboot movie and put out something that happens in the same time as the next movie that gets people into it. Either way, if the TV audience gets way into it. They can go from there with a series. Otherwise, it was a nice little thing.

They have to keep the Borg or add it in again whatever they do, they're the villainiest.  I'd love to see them updated. 

The problem some people have with TNG is that they took the theme of humanities innate goodness from the original and ran with it farther than any of the other ST's - Pickard, heck all of them, are so very earnest.  Personally I think Stewart generally pulls it off when the others sometimes don't (specially Riker), but there are episodes where even he looks like someone trying too hard to put Shakespeare in space.  

All Star Trek's have that goody two shoes aspect to them, except the new movies so far, and it is part of what makes that universe unique.   I like it, SG1, also uniquely, had that too.

I think the reason that BSG could escape that aspect of the original (the kind and gentle 70's one with it's talking teddy dog) so easily is because the original sucked.  I watched it because there wasn't so much selection in those days and I was a kid so spaceships where cool but I never wanted the lunch box.

Edited by KAOSkins

Problem seems to be studios have little imagination and risk taking desire. They just want the same rehashed ****. Space, in terms of what we're realizing we don't really know about it, is the fantastic thing. Yet, we're still limiting ourselves to the same wormhole, black hole, humanoid aliens. 

You know who would make a fantastic Star Trek series? HBO. Now Star Trek could have boobs too. Win win for nerds. 

• Like 2

I can't imagine ST letting that happen, given how family friendly it has been, historically.

I don't think giving it cursing or sex is going to work. ST is different. It's more cerebral. More based on morality. You're going to have to play that up along with the tech factor if you want to get the bulk of trekies to watch.

What could they do that would placate the "old" ST fans, but also gain the attention of "new" fans?

Well, I'm not a Trekie by any means because the force is strong in my family.  But, I always watched ST and dig the movies, especially the reboot.  I think, basing a series off of Kirk as he goes through the ranks (like the new movies) would be sweet.  Give it the more bad-ass look like the new movies.

Honestly, I think if they did the right mix of casting, made it bad/kick ass in action, a new reboot would work on CW.  

Problem seems to be studios have little imagination and risk taking desire. They just want the same rehashed ****. Space, in terms of what we're realizing we don't really know about it, is the fantastic thing. Yet, we're still limiting ourselves to the same wormhole, black hole, humanoid aliens. 

You know who would make a fantastic Star Trek series? HBO. Now Star Trek could have boobs too. Win win for nerds. 

I would equate that to Stargate SG1, which started out on Showtime then got cancelled and sold to Sci-Fi (or SyFy).  Probably wouldn't work as well on a premium channel due to a lot of people not wanting to pay for it.  Granted they are afforded an extremely larger amount of leniency as opposed to local and cable networks, it probably wouldn't last.

I'm all for it though, I have all the premium channels (HBO, Showtime, Max, etc.) :D

Edited by Dont Taze Me Bro