Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Michael Sam of Missouri Tigers Says He's Gay

AsburySkinsFan

Mannn, I'm ALREADY tired of hearing about this story. Part of me hopes he isnt good, just so he can fade out of the league and the media can abandone the story. If he is a great player, we will be hearing about his homosexuality every time he has a good game.....

You really think so? What are they going to say? 

"Wow, what an impressive gay sack that was!"

Sorta reminds me of this Onion article:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/area-homosexual-saves-four-from-fire,1553/

Mannn, I'm ALREADY tired of hearing about this story. Part of me hopes he isnt good, just so he can fade out of the league and the media can abandone the story. If he is a great player, we will be hearing about his homosexuality every time he has a good game.....

I hope he does do well, because then every time we hear about his homosexuality it becomes more accepted and more mainstream to a significant portion of the population that typically is not as accepting and it also allows other homosexual athletes to feel better about coming out and other homosexuals in general. People shouldn't have to hide their sexuality for fear of backlash/retaliation but sadly that is still the case in parts of the country. I'd hate to have hide my heterosexuality but I don't have to thankfully, so it's not fair that those with different sexuality have to hide or feel they have to because of others.

Frankly the "I don't approve, but I don't interfere" argument reminds me of separate but equal. If a significant portion of the population doesn't approve, then how can they truly ever accept those they don't approve of into society? They can't, and that means inevitably that certain rights and equal treatment will be denied, and that's not fair nor is it democratic.

The homosexual community should be viewed the same as an ethnic/racial group, they are what they are out of birth and should be treated as equal citizens in all aspects.

Because they are Bible Belt cities? 

Big cities at this point are pretty much just big cities. Houston's Lesbian mayor just got married in California after all.

he thinks we don't have openly gay people, one step removed from Iran where there are none at all . :P

and we ride horses, except for the poor starving oppressed masses that eat them with their beans. :lol:

Still don't think the true impact of a gay player will be felt until it is a player with star potential, or a current player that is already there. A guy that you can't think of a certain team without thinking of them.

I think endorsements would play a crucial role in all of that. And I'm not talking about certain endorsements that may come Sam's way, I'm talking about star athlete endorsements, where companies will examine every single aspect of a player, and how peope will respond to that player representng their product, before pulling the trigger

good heavens, can you imagine when the best WR or CB in the league turns out to be a raging queen? Ols. Now there's a media circus. A late round undersized one trick pony? Not a huge problem. There was also no way Sam couldn't come out now, with it already being public info in his circles.

That said? Good for him and I wish him success.

I hope he does well...I hope he does really well.

ESPN should take a cue.  It's not a big deal to Michael Sam.  It wasn't a big deal to his college teammates.  

But of course ESPN is in the sensation business and they need things to hype and talk about so this is getting a lot of coverage.  If they really wanted to make it no big deal they'd treat it as such.  But since they're making such a big deal out of it, it IS a big deal.  It's only a big deal because they say it is.  

I was sad to hear that out of everyone that's handling this story with class and dignity that his father is having a hard time with him coming out.  I also think Michael Sam did an awful job of breaking the news to him...that's not something you divulge over a text message.  

But did anyone else laugh their ass off when he said he was at a Denny's and got the text and then went to Applebee's to start drinking? 

I hope he does well...I hope he does really well.

ESPN should take a cue.  It's not a big deal to Michael Sam.  It wasn't a big deal to his college teammates.  

But of course ESPN is in the sensation business and they need things to hype and talk about so this is getting a lot of coverage.  If they really wanted to make it no big deal they'd treat it as such.  But since they're making such a big deal out of it, it IS a big deal.  It's only a big deal because they say it is.  

I was sad to hear that out of everyone that's handling this story with class and dignity that his father is having a hard time with him coming out.  I also think Michael Sam did an awful job of breaking the news to him...that's not something you divulge over a text message.  

But did anyone else laugh their ass off when he said he was at a Denny's and got the text and then went to Applebee's to start drinking? 

Wow. Yeah, you probably want that one to be a face to face.

1.  It's not a "lifestyle".  Did you choose a heterosexual lifestyle?

2.  We don't choose to be homosexual.  Did you choose to be heterosexual?

When I was in college, one of my teammates was in a class with me arguing that homosexuality was a choice. "They choose to be gay just like I choose to like women."

"Wait... you CHOOSE to like women? Like, if you didn't make that conscious choice, you could be attracted to men?

Dude... You're gay."

When I told my mom, I wrote a letter and mailed it.  (Yes, it was that long ago, no email, not texting.)  I couldn't tell her face to face, I needed to explain everything.  After she got the letter, we talked face to face.  It took a long time for her to accept this about myself.  Before she died, she did say that she hoped I would find a nice woman to be with.  Before it was man, then person, then woman.  She was in her 60s when I first told her.  She was born in 1923.

We all have our own ways to tell people about us, one is not better than another.  And given young people's penchant to use texting, it doesn't surprise me that Sam told his father over text.  Generational differences in communication.

I think it's hypocritical for fans to label players like Vince Young, Chad Johnson, and Brandon Marshall as distractions/locker room cancers then turn around and act like everything will be normal when there is a openly gay player in the locker room.

Ph ok so beating a woman and being gay is the same thing.

BS. That's something you keep private. He DID NOT have to go to the NY Times.

I have to take issue with this comment. I'm black mind you. The same people that have a problem with a gay son have absolutely no problem with sons that are in and out of jail, have kids from one end of town to the other or sons that don't work. As long as you're "down", you're cool. From what Sam's dad said, you kind of get the feeling that he considers his son a disgrace. Forget that he's an educated athlete about to go into the NFL. If anyone's a disgrace, it's his father.

You could also argue that Sam had no obligation to 'come out'. Him coming out makes it his fathers business. I don't necessarily agree with what his father did, but at least Sam knows where his dad stands.

You could also argue that Sam had no obligation to 'come out'. Him coming out makes it his fathers business.

Coming out is asking people to accept you for who you are. He's under no obligation to hide his sexual orientation and his coming out doesn't justify his dad's public comments.

he is correct it will be a distraction, that does not equal equating them as the same in any way other than distracting.

He also said locker room cancer.

I guess you missed the part where I said I didn't agree with his father?

Nothing personal my friend. I'm not trying to start any arguments on here.

are you saying it could not be?

I think the issue is blown out of proportion, but there certainly can be problems

I think there will be distractions but I think there's a difference between that and a cancer.

Dude he had 3 sack games against Vandy, Arkansas State and Florida. How is that questionable competition?  They all made bowl games. 

All three of those teams had terrible OLs.  If you really break this player down, I think you might understand why he could be a risk.  He's not a 3rd  round player, as of now.  In fact, unless he absolutely blows it up in the Combine, he's probably a 4th or 5th round pick at best IMO. 

He had very poor production against good teams he faced this year.  2.5 sacks over the last 7 games.  He did have 11.5 sacks this year but against questionable talent on the OL and the previous 3 seasons combined, he only had 6.5 sacks. 

He's a straight line player, so far as I can tell.  Not great against the run.  He basically relies on that first step.  If he can't beat you on that first step, then he usually stays blocked.  He plays in a scheme where the DLs are regularly rotated.  If he were that good, it's more then likely that Missouri would probably not rotate him out much.  He plays on the left side of the defense, which means he's usually facing RTs.  That speed advantage he has in college will probably not translate into the NFL.  That means that he will have to be able to either get much quicker or get much bigger and learn to play with much more strength. 

He's the SEC defensive player of the year but he's not as good as many are making him out to be.  In fact, he's probably the 3rd best DE prospect on that team, behind Ealy and Golden.

Why does all of this matter?  It may not.  However, what if Sam really isn't good enough to make a team.  He seriously has a lot of holes in his game imo.   What happens if you draft him and then you have to cut him?

Does that team get accused of being homophobic or do people simply trust that the team evaluated him fairly and he simply couldn't make the NFL?  

That, to me, is the risk.

You could also argue that Sam had no obligation to 'come out'. Him coming out makes it his fathers business. I don't necessarily agree with what his father did, but at least Sam knows where his dad stands.

If his father feels that way, fine. But YOU DO NOT sell out your own son to the NY Times.

If his father feels that way, fine. But YOU DO NOT sell out your own son to the NY Times.

It's like, "I am uncomfortable with my 24 year-old, college-educated, soon to be professional athlete son being gay. I'm going to go drown my sorrows in alcohol rather than dealing with my feelings or trying to communicate with him and then rip him to the New York times."

Maybe Sam Sr. is the one who has the problems?

Do we know if he sought out the paper or they came to him? Because if he was asked his opinion and gave his honest opinion, then I don't see the problem. I would rather his father be upfront about his feelings, than be a phony.

Archived