Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AMC: Better Call Saul! (Breaking Bad spin off)

Ellis

So to all you Breaking Bad fans... the spinoff show from Breaking Bad will be called 'Better Call Saul' featuring that quirky lawyer of theirs.

I know most of you fans already know about this new show.  But today, news hit that Johnathan Banks (aka Mike) has signed on to be part of the spinoff show as a regularly appearing character.

Episodes will run for 1-hr and are scheduled to premiere in Nov 2014.

http://www.amctv.com/shows/breaking-bad/better-call-saul-news

http://tvline.com/2014/01/27/better-call-saul-cast-jonathan-banks-breaking-bad-prequel/

The general plot is that the show will explore Saul's evolution into being the lawyer of the criminals.  So it's a prequel.

Maybe it will explore Mike's back-story too which was always one of those open items fans really wanted an answer to.

I anticipate it having a strong black comedy vibe to it and Mike will be great for keeping it from being a full blown comedy.

So to all you Breaking Bad fans... the spinoff show from Breaking Bad will be called 'Better Call Saul' featuring that quirky lawyer of theirs.

I know most of you fans already know about this new show.  But today, news hit that Johnathan Banks (aka Mike) has signed on to be part of the spinoff show as a regularly appearing character.

Episodes will run for 1-hr and are scheduled to premiere in Nov 2014.

http://www.amctv.com/shows/breaking-bad/better-call-saul-news

http://tvline.com/2014/01/27/better-call-saul-cast-jonathan-banks-breaking-bad-prequel/

Getting Banks on board was important.     

Gilligan can get really creative with a show revolving around Saul, but I hope to god it's not episodic. I doubt it will be and will be just like Breaking Bad and will rely on using "Medias Res"..., ie. starting stories in the center, and then completing the story by telling the beginning, etc. 

I want to see scenes of Mike in Philly and how he ends up in Abq. 

http://grantland.com/hollywood-prospectus/jonathan-banks-breaking-bad-spinoff/

Gilligan told The Hollywood Reporter last fall that the prequel/spin-off (preql-off?) was conceived as a half-hour sitcom until things changed. “We’re both one-hour drama guys,” Gilligan said of himself and Gould. “So we figured, ‘Why not shoot Saul in the same way? … Let’s get as much of the crew back together as possible, and let’s do it the way we did it before so that it will be of a piece with that pre-existing fictional universe that we had so much fun creating.’” Gilligan will direct the pilot — set for a November premiere — and stick around for full-time writers’ room duty for at least the first season.

I think this has a chance.  As long as they can keep up Sauls wiseguy schtick with the one-liners and Mike being a badass, it'll be good.  It's a delicate balance though, I think.  It can't be 46 minutes of one liner after one liner, that'll get old fast.  But it'll have to be enough to keep people laughing.  It'll have to be smart, which I think Saul is.  Mike definitely is, too.  

If anything, it'll have a chance because so many BB diehards will tune in to give it a shot right off the bat.  I know I will.

I guess this is a prequel to BB that's why Mike can be in it?  

Has to be a prequel, Saul was out of all that by the end of BB and relocated, meaning he couldn't practice law anywhere else, he had to stay out of the spotlight since the police knew by the end he was Heisenberg's lawyer.

http://grantland.com/hollywood-prospectus/jonathan-banks-breaking-bad-spinoff/

Gilligan told The Hollywood Reporter last fall that the prequel/spin-off (preql-off?) was conceived as a half-hour sitcom until things changed. “We’re both one-hour drama guys,” Gilligan said of himself and Gould. “So we figured, ‘Why not shoot Saul in the same way? … Let’s get as much of the crew back together as possible, and let’s do it the way we did it before so that it will be of a piece with that pre-existing fictional universe that we had so much fun creating.’” Gilligan will direct the pilot — set for a November premiere — and stick around for full-time writers’ room duty for at least the first season.

Good, I think that's how it should be. Have each season be a couple of story arcs based on clients and towards the end of it you can start tying-in Gus and others as well. Lots of potential for this as you can introduce all sorts of characters and story arcs and have Saul really going crazy with all his schemes and run arounds. 

This show could take a million interesting directions. If well-written and logical over time, it will succeed.

It would be neat if 5ish years into this as a successful show, Walter White makes a cameo to link timelines. It would also be neat if they didn't limit it to being a prequel. Saul doesn't have to be a non-discript store manager in Nebraska, or whatever. That could be the plan, but his character could simply be drawn to criminal activity. In other words, I could imagine a show as a prequel that turns into a show that is also a follow-on to BB and ultimately ends with Saul facing massive consequences a la White.

• 1 month later...

newer write-up

http://tv.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?news=854811&ocid=rr-tv-news

'Breaking Bad' prequel: Aaron Paul has had 'serious talks' for 'Better Call Saul'

AMC's upcoming "Breaking Bad" prequel, "Better Call Saul", could reunion tour withJesse Pinkman.

Aaron Paul, who played Walter White's student-turned-sidekick Pinkman in "Breaking Bad," says he's had "serious talks" with "Breaking Bad" creator Vince Gilligan about appearing in the new series.

"Anything Vince is involved with, I'm there," Paul told the Associated Press. "I owe him my entire career. And the idea of jumping into the skin of Jesse Pinkman again in his lighter days — because it's all a prequel — it would be fun."

The inclusion of Pinkman on "Better Call Saul" — which will center around Bob Odenkirk's ethically-flexible attorneySaul Goodman — would make sense, given Pinkman's background as a ne'er-do-well who dabbles in drug dealing.

Also on TheWrap: 'Breaking Bad' Spinoff 'Better Call Saul' to Hit Netflix After First Season Finale

The series, slated for a November premiere, has already cast Jonathan Banks to return as Mike Ehrmantraut, who was occasionally Goodman's private investigator, cleaner and fixer.

Alas, it appears that DEA agent Hank Schrader won't be dropping in. Dean Norris, who played Schrader on the series and currently stars in CBS's "Under the Dome," which is preparing to enter its second season, recently said that he's unlikely to participate in the series.

"I don't think they'll let me do a little cable show," Norris opined. "But I think it's going to be awesome. So I can't wait to see it."

It's been interesting for me to observe Paul at various award/media events in comparison other leads in his series. I wonder how much of his future stability (beyond the Captain Obvious norm in such situations) will hinge on how his first highly-promoted lead role in a big budget feature (and in what appears to be just another "big-action car flick w/antihero(s)") does critically and financially. 

Diff'rent Strokes was a pretty successful spinoff as well.

I think if "Better Call Saul" takes on a similar tone to that of "Justified" it will be good. Make it like an Elmore Leonard novel as opposed to being as dark as "Breaking Bad", as there's a lot of room for colorful characters in the world of Saul Goodman. I hope Bill Burr and the guy who played Ewell also show up.

• 10 months later...

Can't wait.....it's almost here.   Good reviews so far....

In the end the lure proved impossible to resist. The dark, weird, funny, endlessly surprising, emotional depth-charge that was Breaking Bad could not simply be allowed to go violently into that good night when, after five series of electrifying television, it reached its brutal end in September 2013. Creator Vince Gilligan could have stood back and watched his work find its place in the list of the greatest ever TV dramas; instead he decided there were more stories to tell, at least about one of its characters, the crooked lawyer Saul Goodman (played by comedian Bob Odenkirk), wearer of Dayglo shirt-and-tie combos, deliverer of classy one-liners (“I’m strongly advising you to get your s--- together”) and a man who knows exactly how the game works. Better Call Saul, named after the lawyer’s own cheesy advertising catchphrase, was duly born.

For Breaking Bad fans, this was like the unopened gift you’d forgotten you had, the announcement of it creating a rush of euphoria. But then came the doubts… Saul was a relatively minor character, more comic relief than dramatically rich. What were the chances of him becoming the Frasier Crane of his generation?
CONTINUED at link

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/tv-and-radio-reviews/11375722/Better-Call-Saul-episode-one-first-look-review-surprises-at-every-turn.html

Can't. Wait.

You just know they're going to have cameos sprinkled through the season.  Can't wait to find out how Huell joins the team.  Bet it's season 2 or 3 before a happy go-lucky chemistry teacher named Mr. White makes an appearance...

The extended cut for the Esurance ad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9dtWCKHz4s

Also, must-see pawn shop/Emmy parody:

Im trying to think of the few that have had success...

Laverne and shirley

A different world

family matters

Facts of life

the jeffersons

Maybe all the NCIS, Law and Order, CSI ones

Colbert? Can we call that a daily show spin off?

N/M... Old news and wrong news.

Looking forward to Better Call Saul.

Archived