Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: January 21, 2014 LINEBACKER BRIAN ORAKPO NAMED TO PRO BOWL

TK

January 21, 2014

LINEBACKER BRIAN ORAKPO NAMED TO PRO BOWL

LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va. – The National Football League announced today that linebacker Brian Orakpo has been selected to the 2014 Pro Bowl in place of San Francisco linebacker Ahmad Brooks. The annual contest of the NFL's best will take place Sunday, Jan. 26, 2014 at Aloha Stadium in Honolulu.

The selection is the third of Orakpo’s career, including selections in his first two NFL seasons following the 2009 and 2010 campaigns. He joins running back Alfred Morris and tackle Trent Williams as the team’s Pro Bowl representatives for the 2013 season. With Orakpo’s selection, the Redskins have had at least one linebacker selected to the Pro Bowl in each of the last five seasons, matching the team’s longest stretch since linebacker Chris Hanburger accounted for five consecutive selections from 1972-76.

Orakpo, 27, started all 15 games in which he appeared in 2013, being credited by the coaching staff with 70 tackles (47 solo) and recording 10.0 sacks. The double-digit sacks were Orakpo’s most in a season since setting a Redskins rookie record with 11.0 sacks in 2009. Orakpo’s 10-sack season gave him 39.5 for his career, fifth-most in team history. The Houston native also recorded the first interception and first touchdown of his career in Week 7 vs. Chicago, returning an interception 29 yards for a score. The interception was the first of Orakpo’s life at any level.

With the Redskins’ selections of Morris, Orakpo and Williams this year, the team has had at least one Pro Bowl player for 20 straight seasons. The only year Washington has not had a Pro Bowler in team history was 1993.

20mins ago on PFT Brooks was the only 49er going, and now he isn't.  Free trip to HI with my fam i'd go everytime i could.  Let alone all the parties.

Not only that it's a cakewalk of a game for some extra pocket money.

No blitzing, no attempting to block punts or field goals, no more than two wideouts lined up on one side, no offensive shifts or movement on the offensive line prior to a snap, no defensive alignments allowed besides the basic 4-3.

Orakpo is a player we should keep.  He's talented, works hard, and isn't a troublemaker.  If he played outside Haslett's scheme he'd be a linebacker we'd all want... A LOT!!!

I don't want to break the bank for him... partly because he has gotten nicked a fair amount, but I do think he is worth a premium.

Whether or not he got a Pro Bowl nod doesn't really matter, as it was obvious he had an outstanding year. If we don't resign him, we will regret it. 

I'm  for keeping him-tired of watching the Champ Bailiey's, Carlos Rogers' and Ryan Clark's.

Can't forget at least 5 kickers..

I'm sorry, when did we get the luxury to act like we don't need Brian Orakpo?  And it's not like he's going to get the biggest contract of the offseason.

We should want to keep him.  And we shouldn't concern ourselves with how much of the bank is broken or whatever.  Let the salary cap football people figure that out.  That's where fandom goes too far IMO, when we start being geniuses about contracts and cap hits.

Congrats to Orakpo!! Like others have stated this will only increase his value and it might be harder for us to retain his services. I hope he will take a little bit of a hometown discount and stay with us. With all of our other needs I'm not sure we should spend $10 million or over. I would be fine with around 8million but anything more might be too much. Either way can't wait to watch Orakpo, Trent, and the Butler in Hawaii.

All I ask B. Allen is, please please do not bid against ourselves. Give him a fair offer, if he accepts great, if he decides to test the market, then so be it, But do not overbid BECAUSE even with Rak, the skins will not be a top tier defense as we have many pieces to fill. And Rak has not shown the ability to raise his game year to year so I fully expect him to decline after signing his FA contract.

I hope the Redskins resign him but after they decided to keep Haslett he might want to move on and go somewhere that uses him the right way and doesn't have him playing coverage twenty yards down the field. No matter what the Redskins should tag him so they can at least get a draft pick if he signs somewhere else.

So does this mean every time Rak plays a full season he makes the Pro Bowl? That'll be good news for his agent (and maybe not so good news for those of us hoping to keep him).

He didn't play the full season.  Got hurt vs Cowboys in week 16.

I guess we could also say when he misses most of the season we win the NFC East, then.

I'm happy for Rak.  But like everyone else (with a few exceptions) I hope we are smart about what we offer him.

Archived