Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: January 21, 2014 LINEBACKER BRIAN ORAKPO NAMED TO PRO BOWL

TK

Is it just me or has being a Pro-Bowler lost most if not all of its meaning. When I was a kid, ony the best players from the best teams got the honor of that title. Today, a team wins 3 games, they get 3 Pro-Bowlers out of it? That is sad to me.

All that aside, Congrates to Rak, you worked hard for it, you deserve the nod.

I was at the Pro Bowl practice on Thursday and Brian was one of the only players that stayed on the field conducting interviews. I really got the impression that he is marketing himself to test free agency. He asked to resign and he pretty much ignored the idea of it. Someone is going to pay him serious money and he will be gone...I hope that I am wrong though! 

CANNOT wait until everyone on here goes ballistic when we re-sign him and screaming we overpaid him. Gonna be a blast. 

We CAN afford to pay him to keep him. Bruce Allen's forte is contract structure. He is well known as a cap genius. For example if we signed him to something like 5 years with $20 million guaranteed and $40 million overall (again just an example) that does NOT mean that we are paying him $8 million per year let alone what his "cap figure" will be. I'm not a guru on this stuff but there is a huge difference between average salary, annual salary and cap figure or anything else you want to talk about.

Bottom line is that we have a good amount of money this year to spend and Bruce will certainly find a way to keep Orakpo AND get the guys we truly have targeted without overspending. 

I know many are concerned about the future contracts of guys like Trent/RGIII when it comes time but again, this is Bruce's greatest asset. So fear not and don't freak out when we re-sign him and it looks like a bunch of big numbers. We will be FINE. Also, remember that our defense sucked last year. You don't get better by letting your best defensive player(s) walk in Rak and Hall (yes Hall was probably our 2nd best defender this year). Then you simply have to spend your resources to replace him. He's our best pass rusher and was actually a stud against the run this year and has become a pretty good pass defender too. He's only going to get better under Olividatti and Baker and he showed serious improvement in the pass rush as he got more comfortable returning from injury later in the year. Just be happy when we re-sign one of our own who has earned it.

Look, the guy has basically compiled 40 sacks in 4 seasons (he missed all of last year except 5 quarters). Injuries have been the biggest concern but for a guy who until a couple years ago was never hurt his entire career (including college) it's not crazy to think he could play healthy for at least an entire 4-5 year contract. If he just stays near his season average in sacks and has one career year around 15 sacks he could conceivably be the Skins' all time sack leader. 

He's played 64 games and has 39.5 sacks. Just staying on his average without a breakout year he would be around 80 sacks in 128 games which is very close Manley's production and better than Mann's. What I'm not saying is that he's as good a pass rusher as them or as crazy (he could use a little more of Manley's fire) but what I am saying is don't sleep on or undervalue the guy who is EASILY the top 3 or 4 most productive pass rusher in team history. Keep it in perspective people. 

Is it just me or has being a Pro-Bowler lost most if not all of its meaning. When I was a kid, ony the best players from the best teams got the honor of that title. Today, a team wins 3 games, they get 3 Pro-Bowlers out of it? That is sad to me.

All that aside, Congrates to Rak, you worked hard for it, you deserve the nod.

I assume that the notion that teams that are in the Super Bowl can't participate, has no doubt created some "roster vacancies", so to speak. 

But then, I also point out that all those vacancies have done, is allow some people who were on the bubble, anyway, to go.  The NFL doesn't have some kind of affirmative action program, mandating that every team must send at least three, or anything. 

I would assert that it's more of an indication that every team, no matter how bad they stank last year, has just about GOT to have at least one or two pretty good players on it. 

I think it says something about the selection process, that said "Yeah, he's on a crummy team, but this one guy is really good" players actually get recognized. 

Congratulations to Orakpo, I think he really is one of the elite players in the league and I hope he stays here. If we can get a true NT and get consistent push up the center of the pocket he will be freed up to make more sacks and he will.

Hoping Amad Brooks the very best recovery, that injury looked so bad but apparently he didn't break anything, just tore the hell out of his ligaments. It will be a very hard injury to come back from, I wouldn't be surprised if he can't come back till the end of next season. Wishing him all the best.

Didn't see the game.  I did see the highlight of the two point conversion where Orakpo showed that elite ability to run stop and tackle.  Tolbert just got lucky and went low on him.  I hate it when that happens.

Give him 13 mil a year and make sure no one else comes near him.

Congratulations to Orakpo, I think he really is one of the elite players in the league and I hope he stays here. If we can get a true NT and get consistent push up the center of the pocket he will be freed up to make more sacks and he will.

Hoping Amad Brooks the very best recovery, that injury looked so bad but apparently he didn't break anything, just tore the hell out of his ligaments. It will be a very hard injury to come back from, I wouldn't be surprised if he can't come back till the end of next season. Wishing him all the best.

It was Navarro Bowman that injured his knee.

Orakpo was only 2.5 sacks from being in the elite conversation at least in 2013.  Trust me....his agent will use that as leverage and someone is going to pay him.  

The Redskins are stuck between a rock and a hard on...I mean place b/c they're taking a risk whether they sign him or not.  If you sign him, you're going to pay him and probably overpay him hoping he plays at an elite level despite a track record to the contrary.  If you don't sign him, you don't have other guys on the roster currently who can pick up the slack and you're not guaranteed to find a suitable replacement in FA or this year's draft.   

It could actually get worse on the defensive side of the ball if your **** around and don't keep the players who consistently produce, even though there aren't many producers on defense.  Orakpo may not be "elite" but he has progressed in some areas and is undoubtedly a starter/every down OLB/Nickel DE who consistently performs at an average to above average rate.    

If I'm Bruce Allen, I take the lesser of the two evils and resign him even if they have to overpay him.  Sucks, but that's what they're facing.  

I think the redskins are in a great place. The draft is stocked with pass rushers this year. Plus we have Brandon Jenkins and Rob Jackson behind Rak. So the market for a pass rusher won't be high because teams can grab one in the draft. The skins can offer Rak a good contract with the leverage of Him knowing that we have two guys behind him that we can replace him with.

Archived