Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Merged - Per WP & Schefter, Jay Gruden is new Redskins HC

hail2skins

I really don't understand how so many can watch this defense over the past 3 years and dislike Haslett. Vince ****ing Lombardi could have coached that group of talent with similar results

Shanahans reputation as a micromanager was thoroughly documented before he took the job in Washington. He watches tape of his coaches meetings for crying out loud. He clearly had a hand in defensive schemes

Besides, scheme is so over rated by armchair coaches it's not even funny. The best defenses in the history of the league ran the simplest schemes. That's what makes them so difficult to scheme against. They just line up and beat you

The Redskins don't have the defensive personnel to beat most college teams

He was actually one of my original top choices, but hearing my coworker Bengals fan say he doesnt care that he's leaving, that he was more worried about Zimmer leaving, doesn't make me feel so good. Plus, I don't know what to make of the Dalton situation.

And Haslett remaining on kinda kills the excitement for me. 

Well, all that's left is to wish him the best and hope he can turn this franchise around. Welcome to DC/the Washington Redskins, Coach.

Maybe you can throw your name in there for offensive assistant haha.

I'm cautiously optimistic K. None of the candidates really wowed me out there. I was a Bevell guy, but wasn't going to be pissed if we went elsewhere. Is Gruden the answer? I honestly have no idea. I'm willing to give him and the FO the benefit of the doubt here. For once in the Snyder era, we didn't chase a big name and rush to a decision. That's a step in the right direction IMO.

I like it. After Whiz, I didn't love anyone. Dalton is AWFUL and Gruden got a lot out of him.

Morris DC sounds likely (or Haz I guess). Also, any chance Hue Jackson follows Gruden to WSH for OC?

Interesting, bringing Hue with him would make ALOT of sense.

I've read a lot from fans on twitter about what a horrible hire this is because of his spotty record as OC.  But look around the league: not all successful head coaches had top-ranked units as coordinators. What they have instead are intangible leadership qualities (Sean Payton comes to mind).

The truth is, after Shanahan, this team needs someone who can communicate with and relate to his players.  From everything I've seen and read, Gruden fits the bill. Whether he'll have the players to make a run at a title is now up to Allen, Brown, and Campbell...

Well being that we can't have a moment of peace let me pass cast the first stone of controversy. Per wikepedia:

On September 16, 2005, Gruden was arrested in Hillsbourgh, Florida and charged with driving under the influence of alcohol. [13] Gruden registered 0.106% and 0.110% in two blood-alcohol tests, each over the legally allowed limit for driving under the influence in Florida (0.08%). [14] He pled no contest to reckless driving and was fined $750.

Ok let the circus continue..... Lol but no lol.

Here's to hopefully an upswing!

Hail!

I'll say it here, in the official thread:

I wasn't on the Gruden bandwagon. But, as I've said all along, I think we need to trust the process here. Jay Gruden is our new head coach, and the team would know better than any of us who was the best fit.

So having said that, congratulations on the hire, Coach Gruden. Welcome to the Redskins and good luck.

The theme of the offseason. We are such good battered wives. ;)

I'll say it here, in the official thread:

I wasn't on the Gruden bandwagon. But, as I've said all along, I think we need to trust the process here. Jay Gruden is our new head coach, and the team would know better than any of us who was the best fit.

So having said that, congratulations on the hire, Coach Gruden. Welcome to the Redskins and good luck.

Same here.  LOL I feel like they need a new slogan for this year instead of R you in or All in for week 1.  This year I feel like it should be: 

R you cautiously optimistic?!?!

Archived