Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who's your top candidates for the Coordinator spots?

ZRagone

I agree as that would not go over well with the fan base nor the media.  Not that the media matters but they have done nothing but try and bash the Skins (and i'm talking about local media like Sally Jerkins and Mike Unwise that are trying to so hard to be opinionated journos that maybe they could become a regular on Real Sports) with any and every angle possible. 

Just as if Briles was hired as HC and they "RG3 is running the team" articles would come out, keeping Haz as DC with how awful the D was this year, they would crush the organization again.

Keep Haz if you want as a DC - Defensive Consultant or perhaps LB coach if we go back to 4-3.  If we stay 3-4 we need a 3-4 master especially at the LB position.

Maybe Haz is a fallback in Gruden can't get his LB coach from Cincy as DC

Cincy can block Guenther from coming here as the D. Coordinator. That's as long as he's under contract with Cincy and assuming they want to retain him. It would literally have to be Marvin Lewis or whoever runs the shop over there, to be magnanimous and allow Guenther to "move on."

This all assuming that Jay Jay wants Guenther to begin with, as his DC.

Good to know Raheem won't be in charge of the D.

I wouldn't be upset to see him gone permanently.

Hail.

Me neither my friend. For all the hype he was a bust as our secondary coach. I sure as hell don't want him in charge of the D.

Still trying to figure why some are still high on him. Maybe they're literally high?

You need to start handing out more likes around here partner. I've been out riding fences all day. What you say about Munchak?

I'd be in orgasmic ecstasy. (TMI? :P ). 

Top, TOP guard as a player and he's taken that on to produce some tough ass lines down there in TN. PERFECT guy for what Gruden does on the deck. 

GREAT shout. 

..... Maybe they're literally high?

:lol: Dare I say it would explain a lot.  ;)

Hail. 

I think better players and more depth will make any DC or DB coach look better.  Haslett and Morris didn't have much in terms of personnel and, apparently, Haslett didn't have a whole lot of authority.  If he stays and wants to go to a 4-3, I wonder if Gruden would be up for that.  Sure it's already been discussed.

Okay for those of you kids on twitter, is Chunky on twitter?  Or perhaps his kids?  Maybe if we can bombard them and let word get to Jay about how idiotic it'd be to have Haslett retained as DC, he'll see the light.  We must hurry - before it's too late!

I think maybe this is his son?!  https://twitter.com/gruden3

I know KCC is just joking, but seriously, I hope no one gets the crazy idea of badgering the coach's son on twitter for real.  

Couple of quick reactions to news of the day.

- I'm sorry Bobby Turner left, but also might have been that he didn't want to stay with the organization.  If I was Coach Gruden, I wouldn't want any coach to reluctantly stay on staff.  Hope we can get a good RB coach to replace him.  No question that he is one of the best in the business.

- About the news swirling around special teams coach.  I think one of the most important hires of the offseason will be the special teams coach and fixing that unit.  Special teams dragged down every aspect of this team.  With league average special teams, I think this team could have ended with 5 to 7 wins.  The added cap space, change in special teams coaching, and emphasis in that unit will go a long way I think.  Donte Stallworth tweeted to Chick Hernandez and Doc Walker that he knew back in preseason that Skins special team was in trouble based on how disorganized the unit was during practice.  This to me is the most important part.  

- Haslett.  I'm really hoping at this point that Coach Gruden has his heart set on Guenther from Cincy but has Haslett as back up in case Guenther won't leave, gets promoted after Zimmer leaves, or goes with Zimmer, etc.  With that said, if I'm running a NFL franchise with less than stellar defensive unit, especially if I'm sticking with the 3-4, CALL WADE PHILLIPS!!!!!!!! It is difficult to overstate how good he has been as a DC in the last decade or so.  Maybe, Phillips is not interested, going somewhere else, etc (and frankly, as a fan, we'll never find out), but I really hope Coach Gruden at least sent out feelers.

- One key point to me this off season.  Get a space eater as DT and move Cofield to DE.  I think Cofield would be a great 3-4 DE but undersized 3-4 DT.  

I've warmed up to Haz staying more, not really because I like him or anything, but more because I can understand the relationship between Haz and Gruden. I'd hope that Gruden doesn't need Haz, but I was looking at his record from 2000 - 2004 with the Saints and I'd kill to have that record here in DC over that period. Given his last two years coaching weren't too good, but he probably has a lot of wisdom that he can share with Gruden and could probably be a good mentor. 

Doesn't mean that I want him in charge of the defense though. Wish we could just hire him as a mentor, but I doubt he'd take that if he still wants to be involved in the coaching aspects of the game. 

I've warmed up to Haz staying more, not really because I like him or anything, but more because I can understand the relationship between Haz and Gruden. I'd hope that Gruden doesn't need Haz, but I was looking at his record from 2000 - 2004 with the Saints and I'd kill to have that record here in DC over that period. Given his last two years coaching weren't too good, but he probably has a lot of wisdom that he can share with Gruden and could probably be a good mentor. 

Doesn't mean that I want him in charge of the defense though. Wish we could just hire him as a mentor, but I doubt he'd take that if he still wants to be involved in the coaching aspects of the game. 

Haslett would be great mentor...as our LBs coach.  I think that would be a nice hire.

However, what I think is turning my stomach is how all of this stuff has gone down.  The phantom search, frat boys hiring each other, keeping their old pals on staff (who just came off a historically awful year), and now Haslett possibly staying as DC.  It just doesn't pass the sniff test.  At all.

As much as I like to dog Haslett, I think he would be a solid position coach.  And I mean that.

Again, it's not so much that I hate Haslett as much as I hate what retaining him as DC represents.  It represents incompetence.  It represents Snyder's idiotic methods.  It represents the joke that we have become.

Is it possible that Haz is only a one year "patch" for the D? Could Gruden have his eye on someone who is still under contract with his current team and would be freed up next year? One can only hope...

I doubt it, but I'm holding out hope that this information that we are keeping Haslett is unsubstantiated. It doesn't make any sense at all. I'd rather have Petitbon and he's been out of the game since 1994.

I don't know how you guys see the Guenther for DC?

The rules changed a counple of years ago. There are two groups now, HC and assistants. All assistants are equal. So every move from assistant to an assistant on an other team is a lateral move. For lateral moves the other team needs to give permission, they can block the move. 

So we can only hire an assitant from an other team if:

1. His contract expires after the Super Bowl

2. The other team agrees to let the coach go and sign with us. 

With Zimmer getting serious consideration as HC, I think the Bengals will want to keep Guenther so he can replace him. It makes no sense for them to let him walk away. 

And yes this new rule pretty much sucks when you hire a new coach :P

Maybe Haz is a fallback in Gruden can't get his LB coach from Cincy as DC or someone else he's interested in.  Haz did give him his first OC job so i can see him keeping Haz in some fashion if not even the DC but more of a confidant and trusted advisor in his first year.  I can certainly live with that as they've worked well together before  and it would be a class move for the pupil to the teacher.

Haz has already been our "fallback" option under Shanahan when he couldn't get Zimmer to leave the Bengals. I can't get too excited about a "fallback" option that we've seen operate here for four years quite miserably.

As others have stated, no problem with him being LB coach but outside of that, I can't believe there has been all this justifying going on about it. Everyone absolutely TRASHED Mike for keeping Haslett around. When anyone would point the finger at the D, the same posters who are trying to make it okay now would spew "Mike's fault in the end, he kept him on the staff, can't blame anyone but Mike".

Can't believe that now Jay might be doing the same thing to start off his coaching career here and he's got people justifying it. Wow. I'm all for optimism... but even I can't pull being optimistic on that one off, lol.     

Another Tampa guy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dwayne_Stukes

I am lupin_iv's lack of surprise...

..hope this all works.

Yeah, I hear you, it seems he worked with Bisaccia in Tampa Bay for a little while and then last year he took over for the Chicago Bears.

They had a strong special teams, now let's see what he can bring. Younger guy at 36 and originally from Virginia. 

Archived