Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who's your top candidates for the Coordinator spots?

ZRagone

The advantage to Haslett, he's experienced, has been a HC and can help Jay learn the ropes, and he knows the personnel. The downside to Haslett is his play calling, execution, and use of personnel.

The negative outweighs the positive IMO. Otoh, we don't know how or if Haslett fits into Gruden's vision.

This is my thought process too. Not to mention that Haslett had a 42-38 record in New Orleans through his first 5 years. The fact that even lasted that long is something he could teach any of our previous coaches. And he did with Aaron Brooks and Jeff Blake as his QBs. Things fell apart after that, but thats a nice run.

I know your joking (a bit) but talent (lack of) is the real issue on defense. Whoever is the co-ordinator, whether its 3-4 or a 4-3 we need better talent and not just in the secondary. 

This team needs a LOT. But having said that Hasletts idea of getting pressure on the QB comes from the DL. Each year we picked up some DL who was supposed to come in here and help put a pass rush on. Every NT tried gets decent pressure on about half the games. Orakpo and Kerrigan is supposed to be the best staple book ends in the league... little pressure at the beginning of the year. Ok maybe the rush was supposed to come from the LBers... every LB got caught up in the wash of blocking the DL.

You do remember the two Eagles games in which there was no rush until Haslett started using stunts in the second half of both games?

Dunno'. He was the one who hired him and stuck by him through that time so I guess he didn't want anyone else after Zimmer initially turned him down. 

Hail. 

Perhaps. Part of Shanahan's negative is he's loyal to a tee with his coaches. That what got him fired in Denver, he wouldn't fire the DC so he let the owner fire him.

Weird how almost a year ago people were wanting Hall gone cause he bites on double moves, tries to jump routes too much, and couldn't cover well enough. But one good year.... he's a keeper.

Not everybody wanted him gone. I was a Hall supporter. I wasn't happy when he first came to the Skins, but he gets better every year. The older he gets, the more intelligent his game gets. I think Morris must have lit a fire under his butt about tackling, because he is our best tackling corner right now. That is one of the main reasons I didn't want him here.

I definitely see Hall taking the Charles Woodson path. Yes, I know they are different sizes and yes I am aware that Hall probably won't have the kind of impact Woodson had. Not saying they are interchangeable.

Haslett is a bum it was gruden who said the defense was so predictable and they knew exactly what we were going to do when we lined up. 

and that what baffles me the most. How you gunna bad mouth a system then come in and what? you can't say its great all of a sudden, heck no one in their right mind would believe you.

This is my thought process too. Not to mention that Haslett had a 42-38 record in New Orleans through his first 5 years. The fact that even lasted that long is something he could teach any of our previous coaches. And he did with Aaron Brooks and Jeff Blake as his QBs. Things fell apart after that, but thats a nice run.

Just want to add that Haslett got the Saints to win their first ever playoff game and that was after a (3 win?) season. He was also named coach of the year.

Still keep your hands off of our coordinator job!

Not everybody wanted him gone. I was a Hall supporter. I wasn't happy when he first came to the Skins, but he gets better every year. The older he gets, the more intelligent his game gets. I think Morris must have lit a fire under his butt about tackling, because he is our best tackling corner right now. That is one of the main reasons I didn't want him here.

I definitely see Hall taking the Charles Woodson path. Yes, I know they are different sizes and yes I am aware that Hall probably won't have the kind of impact Woodson had. Not saying they are interchangeable.

I presume your refering to him shifting to Safety. I'm fine with that but the CB and Hall need to be on the same page. What I'm refering to is Hall likes to go for the big INT. So one will have to step back and be the more intelligent player and remain the stop gap in case Hall misses. I do worry about Hall not being a bit heavier to unload on WR's if need be but I'll take that if he plays smart football.

I think we just need to get younger and faster at the CB positions. Maybe taller too.

I presume your refering to him shifting to Safety. I'm fine with that but the CB and Hall need to be on the same page. What I'm refering to is Hall likes to go for the big INT. So one will have to step back and be the more intelligent player and remain the stop gap in case Hall misses. I do worry about Hall not being a bit heavier to unload on WR's if need be but I'll take that if he plays smart football.

I think we just need to get younger and faster at the CB positions. Maybe taller too.

You are right about me wanting to move him over once we get capable corners. But, I think Hall is going for the big interception less year after year. He is more likely to make the intelligent play now. Of course, he will still go for the interception here and there. I think he could bulk up just a little bit and be fine. I see him being a solid safety, not a superstar. Just used Woodson because he was a recent move.

It clearly doesn't mean he was awesome either. Who here and what HC would fire a DC who had a league leading defense?

The last sentence of the post from me you quoted says it does not mean he was NOT a bad coach either. So we agree on that point.

Football - and sports in general - is a funny old business. You can lead the league one year and be close to the bottom the next. Its a very rare coach who can consistently rank high and win over a long period. Good coaches get fired every year - bad ones sometimes stick around. Go figure ....

I'm not being sarcastic when I ask this, but do you think it might have something to do with the fact that Turner is very close with Shanahan, and has been so almost his whole NFL career?  So Shanny would effectively have an ear in what's going on in that locker room all season, which would let him create more discord in the media if Turner talked to him. 

Maybe Gruden wanted to make sure he had guys who were unquestionably loyal to the Redskins, and not outside influences.  I think that is more important to coaches than people realize.

I have no doubt that could be part of the reason. But Bobby Turner, from what I've read, doesn't seem to be a guy that plays politics. I think he's happy being the best RB coach in the business and he's already risen to the top of food chain as far assitants being the Assistant Head Coach . Bobby Turner stayed on with the Broncos after Mike Shanahan got fired there without incident. I don't think he would damage his reputation by giving inside information so that Mike Shanahan can smear the Redskins through the media.

One of the first coaching books I read said one of the most important aspects of putting together a coaching staff is to have assistants that are loyal. I don't think there is any reason to believe that Bobby Turner wouldn't be loyal to the Skins as compared to Jake Burney or any other coach that doesn't have previous ties to Bruce Allen.

Well we may see some movement on filling our coaching staff.

With Whiz signing yesterday and Caldwell just signed with the Lions, people are going to be scrambling 

to fill their staff.

Leaves Vikings and Browns with out HC's, but Zimmer is in for second visit in Minn. so that could happen soon.

I am getting the feeling that McVey and Haslett are back up plans, and that Gruden has targeted some people he would love 

to have, but those people are waiting see what teams are a good fit.

Munchak was picked up? By whom?

Hail. 

Sorry, meant to say Whizenhunt.

Munchak could end up with the Browns.

Let's try this again: If Zimmer gets Vikings HC job, I expect him to target Lions OC Scott Linehan in that capacity & Paul Gunther as DC...

Expand

Michael Silver ‏@MikeSilver

@lindzpatterson: @MikeSilver Or Paul would get promoted to DC in Cincinnati.” Also possible. Hue would have been in same spot if earlier

I know that Munchak is a very established o-line coach, but isn;t Foerster still on staff? Or was he fired?

And I do find it odd that his name hasn't been linked to our team yet. But to this point, it's been slim-pickings as far as info goes as to who Grudens interested in. Would have expected more names to surface in connection to coordinator positions the team has instead of the staff that was retained. I'm particularly interested in RB, WR, and QB coaches as the OC and DC has been discussed repeatedly.

:lol: Unfortunately for us, this seems to be the day he takes off. :angry:

As for what GHH is saying though, Gruden may have information from his previous encounters with Haz (and also taking into account what Haz has relayed to Gruden as to just how hamstrung he was with Shanny) that suggests Haz is a better DC than what he has shown with our team.

And let's not forget, it's no guarantee that Haz will remain the DC. It's quite possible, as others have pointed out, that Haz could be given a different role (i.e. Asst HC and LBs coach) that would allow for someone else to come in as DC. One thing we do now know is that Morris will be allowed to shop his talents elsewhere (per several sources). Albeit, it has also been reported he'd be welcome to return. Personally, I'm all for him going away as I saw nothing he brought to the secondary other than rah-rah (no pun intended :D). 

And let's not forget, it's no guarantee that Haz will remain the DC. It's quite possible, as others have pointed out, that Haz could be given a different role (i.e. Asst HC and LBs coach) that would allow for someone else to come in as DC.

Let's be serious here - not only is it quite IMpossible that Haz would stay on as a reduced role (hardly ever happens), but, based on all the reports given, the guy is going to be our DC this year, much to my (and many's) chagrin. 

If you can link me ONE reliable report that shows that he's not going to be our DC this year, it'd make my day.  I've yet to see one.

:lol: No, KCC, I have not seen a verifiable source that has said Haz won't be the DC for this upcoming season. Dammit! :lol:

And you're more than likely correct, but as I and other posters have discussed, it might be possible to see Haz take a reduced role. Let's face it, I seriously doubt he has many options given there doesn't seem to be many teams out there beating down his door to offer him a job. This is especially true given his body of work the last 4 years.

Is it a assured possibility that Haz would accept a reduced role? Absolutely not. But you also have to ask yourself, is it necessarily an assured possibility that he could do better elsewhere? I'd certainly say it doesn't look good. ;)

Thanks, SoCal and STbone for the info on Byner. Had a feeling his name might surface in connection to our RBs coach. I would be all for him taking over our RB corp and know it's in good hands.

Source: Former Bucs RB Coach Earnest Byner Returning to Redskins

Former Tampa Bay Buccaneers running backs coach Earnest Byner is returning to Washington to become the Redskins’ running backs coach, a source told Sports Talk Florida.

Byner spent two seasons on Greg Schiano’s staff in Tampa, helping Doug Martin rush for over 1,000 yards his rookie season and make the Pro Bowl.

He also helped backups Mike James and Bobby Rainey have breakout performances after Martin was placed on IR, before Schiano was fired and none of his assistants, who were on two-year contracts, were retained.

Byner suited up for the Redskins as a player from 1989 to 1993, helping the franchise win Super Bowl XXVII in 1992. He also served as running backs coach there from 2004-2007.

As a member of new head coach Jay Gruden’s staff, he’ll inherit Alfred Morris, who already amassed 2,888 rushing yards in his first two seasons in the NFL.

:lol: No, KCC, I have not seen a verifiable source that has said Haz won't be the DC for this upcoming season. Dammit! :lol:

Heck, at this point I'd even be encouraged to see a legit report that says that Haz may stay on at a reduced role, but I haven't seen one yet! :)

Welcome back Byner!  One of my favorite players growing up!

Archived