Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who's your top candidates for the Coordinator spots?

ZRagone

The advantage to Haslett, he's experienced, has been a HC and can help Jay learn the ropes, and he knows the personnel. The downside to Haslett is his play calling, execution, and use of personnel.

The negative outweighs the positive IMO. Otoh, we don't know how or if Haslett fits into Gruden's vision.

Nothing officially.

But the media is reporting that Bobby Turner is not being retained.

That alone troubles me.

Bobby Turner is the source of Mike Shanahan running game dominance, even moreso then Kubiack with QB/passing game.

I'm not being sarcastic when I ask this, but do you think it might have something to do with the fact that Turner is very close with Shanahan, and has been so almost his whole NFL career?  So Shanny would effectively have an ear in what's going on in that locker room all season, which would let him create more discord in the media if Turner talked to him. 

Maybe Gruden wanted to make sure he had guys who were unquestionably loyal to the Redskins, and not outside influences.  I think that is more important to coaches than people realize.

Maybe Gruden wanted to make sure he had guys who were unquestionably loyal to the Redskins, and not outside influences.  I think that is more important to coaches than people realize.

I can see him getting rid of him due to his connection to Shanahan.  But if Chunky wants coaches who are  unquestionably loyal to the Redskins, and not outside influences, he wouldn't be keeping Haslett on the team just because he worked with him previously.  Set up to fail already.

The advantage to Haslett, he's experienced, has been a HC and can help Jay learn the ropes, and he knows the personnel. The downside to Haslett is his play calling, execution, and use of personnel.

The negative outweighs the positive IMO. Otoh, we don't know how or if Haslett fits into Gruden's vision.

Agreed, plus Wade has been a coach before and is a damn good 34 guy.

He runs the scout team. Helps prepare practice teams for upcoming games.

Another set of eyes on players.

It was Jay Grudens title while working for his brother in Tampa Bay.

One of the most important jobs on a coaching staff, despite it's pay grade. Your scout guy must be fully dedicated. They have to know the opposing teams offense or defense, whichever they are responsible for, and the 'Skins O/D, whichever staff they're technically on.

For instance: Coach S is on the Redskins coaching staff. He's on the offensive side of the ball. He could be responsible for the Scout O OR the Scout D, depending on how the team does it. We'll say he's in charge of the Scout D to make it easy.

He must study film of the opposing team and know the ins and outs of the defense. He has to understand what the offensive coaches want from the scout D and then he has to coach up the Scout D to the players. Meanwhile, when watching practice and moreso when watching film, he should also know the offense's responsibilities on each play, to see if they are executing properly or not.

It's a TOUGH position when done correctly. But it's one of the most educational positions there are. You learn about virtually every scheme you can in any given season, or seasons. Gives you a ton of experience and knowledge.

The possible naming of Tim McVay as offensive coordinator.

Anyone seen Kleese? Because I think we just lost the State of Oklahoma. 

I can see him getting rid of him due to his connection to Shanahan.  But if Chunky wants coaches who are  unquestionably loyal to the Redskins, and not outside influences, he wouldn't be keeping Haslett on the team just because he worked with him previously.  Set up to fail already.

That's presuming that would be the case. 

As bizarre as it sounds to you, me and countless others, Coach Jay, having worked with Haslett, might just think he's a darn good coach on a day-to-day basis.

We haven't so we honestly don't know just what he brings to the table in that respect. 

Hail. 

Show Gruden what ropes? how not to run a team? He got fired from his HCing job with the Saints (2000-2005), He later got fired from his DC/Intrim HCing job with the Rams (2006-2008), So now we know there is nothing he can show Gruden from a HCing prespective.

But wait there's more....He got fired from his DC job with Pittsburgh (1997-1999), he was most likely fired from his first DC job with the Saints (1996). So now we can agree there is nothing he can show Gruden from a DC prespective.

He might be a great position coach if he's willing to step down and take a pay cut and lose the job title of DC but technically he was only a position coach (LB's) for 5 yrs, once with a college team for 2 yrs, and twice with NFL teams for 3 yrs.

One would think that if he's so good at coaching LBers he would have had more invovlement with them and had them playing lights out. I feel the same about Morris...if he was so good at being a DB coach then he should have had our guys playing better and in the right position. I'm ready to go outside the organization. Between Haslett and Phillips, Phillips wins hands down. I'd take Phillips over Haslett. If their is someone better then Phillips I'll take them. Spagnoulo might force us to return to the 4-3 but again I'd take that over Haslett.

Show Gruden what ropes? how not to run a team? He got fired from his HCing job with the Saints (2000-2005), He later got fired from his DC/Intrim HCing job with the Rams (2006-2008), So now we know there is nothing he can show Gruden from a HCing prespective.

But wait there's more....He got fired from his DC job with Pittsburgh (1997-1999), he was most likely fired from his first DC job with the Saints (1996). So now we can agree there is nothing he can show Gruden from a DC prespective.

Just about every coach who ever held a clipboard has been fired at some point - it goes with the territory and does not mean they are bad coaches. It does not mean they are not either of course .....

As bizarre as it sounds to you, me and countless others, Coach Jay, having worked with Haslett, might just think he's a darn good coach on a day-to-day basis.

We haven't so we honestly don't know just what he brings to the table in that respect. 

Hail.

Although I don't want Haslett retained, I'm wondering his well the defense would have performed with better middle linebacker play (sorry fletch) and a better fs and another good corner opposite Hall. Plus the defense calling there own plays.

Although I don't want Haslett retained, I'm wondering his well the defense would have performed with better middle linebacker play (sorry fletch) and a better fs and another good corner opposite Hall. Plus the defense calling there own plays.

I know your joking (a bit) but talent (lack of) is the real issue on defense. Whoever is the co-ordinator, whether its 3-4 or a 4-3 we need better talent and not just in the secondary. 

Hail. 

I don't doubt Haslett is not a great person, loyal person, a trusted person, but thats a far cry from actually putting together a decent scheme and executing it. Haslett by far the worst DC in history or close to it but to keep him around because you like his jokes or his friendship is absurd.

As others have said Gruden is already setting himself up for failure if Haslett stays. Out of 4 yrs Shanahan couldn't get that turd to provide any form of defense. Heck as bad as the defense was I too would have been meddling just to try and get something out of the defense.

I think that's a very legit question that many of us have asked only to be labeled as being a 'Haslett lover' or 'wanting' him to stay. (Beats the 'hater' bunkum I 'spose.).

So tread carefully would be my advice. Seems you can't pose a bigger picture question down to the name of the guy your asking it on. 

Hail. 

Just about every coach who ever held a clipboard has been fired at some point - it goes with the territory and does not mean they are bad coaches. It does not mean they are not either of course .....

It clearly doesn't mean he was awesome either. Who here and what HC would fire a DC who had a league leading defense?

Well he did have a much better HC record in NO than the last four years guy had here so there is that .....

Hail. 

Bet he wouldn't have if the guy here for the last four years had a better DC?

If Haslett stays with Ray Horton being available, I will be pissed to put it nicely. I don't know that Ray Horton will ever get the shot at becoming a HC. He has had interviews here and there, but nothing has ever came of them and he didn't have one this year.

I guess it is a dream that Gruden works out for the next 10-15 years and we have a solid 3-4 coordinator in Ray Horton to stay with him.

I would be happy with Haslett running linebackers under Horton though.

Weird how almost a year ago people were wanting Hall gone cause he bites on double moves, tries to jump routes too much, and couldn't cover well enough. But one good year.... he's a keeper.

Everyone acts like the defense was ignored. It was not. The team picked up DL's, Kerrigan, Amerson, Rocky, etc. etc. How about instead of spreading the wealth around to cheap, injured, or drug suspended players they actually picked up just one decent player?

Archived