Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who's your top candidates for the Coordinator spots?

ZRagone

There appears to be assumption in place that anyone that is hired with no prior band experience would mesh perfectly with Gruden and with what he wants to do. The grass is not always greener. Look at the the list of failed DCs here and across the league. These are respected people. Sure its fun to munch on some new grass, but it may give you bad ___.

For some reason, Haslett retained doesn't scare me. Ripping control back from Mike was my top priority, and then getting someone in place wanting to work with RG3 was the second priority. Lowest priority was to blindly just fire everyone.  Its mission accomplished.

If he is as bad as his total yards allowed defensive rankings say he is, he will be gone soon enough, perhaps even mid season. Maybe even sooner. We have an interesting dynamic in place currently, this guy hired that one, that one fired this one, but clearly avoiding all of those types of hires in the past has yielded this. Little.

:lol: You better believe it. My son and I are constantly looking for updates on the coaching staff and looking towards FA. I wasn't exactly enamored with the Gruden hire, but didn't necessarily think it was a bad decision either. As I've watched the pressers and read more about him, I've definitely warmed up to him. He seems to have the "it" factor that I want in the new HC. Only time will tell, but I'm definitely excited.

I'm curious as to who he might be considering to replace Turner. As I said before, he seemed like one of the few holdovers from the Shanny dictatorship ;) that might remain. Hightower being shown the door comes as no surprise. Haz and Morris are red flags to me, and the whole "we've worked together before" idea doesn't make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. :angry:

That said, who would you look at as potential fits at RB and ST coaches?

A name that could have helped #Redskins RT @JohnMiddlekauff: My sources say #Raiders Special Teams coach Bobby April will return, done deal.

Expand

Rich Tandler ‏@Rich_TandlerCSN

More surprising that Bobby Turner was kept for 2 weeks than word that he got fired. Good coach but a Shanahan guy all the way. #RedskinsTalk

Turner one of the best at coaching zone runners. Does his firing mean the end of the ZBS for the #Redskins? #RedskinsTalk #thinkingoutloud

Expand

How are people citing ESPN980 as the source that Turner was let go when Russell SPECULATED that he'll be let go?

The only thing he reported was that Hightower was out. He said that he Chris Russell thinks Bobby will be let go.

*Puts an arm around dg. 'It'll be alright man. He'll have someone just as good if not better lined up. You'll get through this. We have your back.'

Hail. 

Earnest Byner would be a great return for us. As you said, he did a great job with our backs when he was with the team. And just who is this Betts you speak of? :P

Just saw that ST coach April is resigning with Oakland. Would have liked to see him head up our STs. I believe at we looked at him at some point in the past. As long as Burned toast isn't here, I call that a victory. :D

I'm interested in seeing how Gruden fills out this coaching staff. His "I've gotten about 350 texts" comment was intriguing to say the least. I'd love to see a few names off the list or quite possibly who a few coaches are that have already interviewed with Gruden to this point. And I'd love to see a few guys like perhaps Wade Phillips interviewed for the DC. I'd think it'd be a travesty if Gruden just handed the reigns over to Haz without at least combing through a few potential DCs that are available as well.

Well, its scares the **** out of me.  Our defense was historically incompetent last year.  

I still can't believe that people are trying to justify keeping Haslett.  It's borderline certifiable.

What else do we have to do with our day other than justify our teams actions, would you rather organize a flash mob social media based protest at HQ? Or just complain here for the next 12 months before and after every TD allowed.

I still can't believe that people were trying to justify keeping Shanahan.  It's borderline certifiable.

I still can't believe that people were trying to justify keeping Shanahan.  It's borderline certifiable.

And the fact that some STILL make excuses for him and blameshift isn't 'borderline' certifiable. It's full blown padded cell and throw away the key bat **** crazy. 

But mercifully that nightmare is behind us now. 

Hail. 

What else do we have to do with our day other than justify our teams actions, would you rather organize a flash mob social media based protest at HQ? Or just complain here for the next 12 months before and after every TD allowed.

I never justified keeping Shanny.  And I'm one of the biggest homers on here, so I don't think I can be bunched in with the complain about everything crowd. :)

I just think keeping Haslett as DC implies a couple of possibilities.  One, Gruden is in over his head and isn't capable of making competent staff hires.  I don't believe this is the case.  He certainly seems intelligent.

Or, Gruden doesn't have as much control over his own staff as we would like to think, and there's someone behind the curtain pulling his strings.

Either scenario would suck.  I think I'll leave these conversations for now until we find out who his staff is.  Let's hope he makes some solid hires.

Well, its scares the **** out of me.  Our defense was historically incompetent last year.  

I still can't believe that people are trying to justify keeping Haslett.  It's borderline certifiable.

he literally has a horrible track record.  hes never had sustained success anywhere.  at anything.

yet were keeping him.  wtf

Ok little doggies,

Mike Munchak is still out there. He finished his interview in Houston on Friday, which was specifically as O-Line coach and apparently he interviewed today, Monday, with Cleveland.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000312751/article/mike-munchak-interviewing-with-cleveland-browns

Now the interview in Cleveland, today, has been referenced, rumored, as for the HC job.

Seriously, I'm guessing here, but I don't think he's a serious candidate for HC since his career has been with one organization, he's largely been a longtime O-Line coach and had just a brief experience with HC there in Tennessee.

I don't think he's going to be offered a HC gig, for 2014 at least. I believe folks are trying to get themselves a solid O-Line coach, not a HC. This man is a certified O-Line Guru.

And for the record, Munchak does exactly what Jay Jay wants to do with the O-Line, be multiple. MM has a diverse scheme. You'll get Gap and Zone scheme together and he likes the backside pulling Guard, "power" play, a lot -- which Jay Jay uses a ton, himself. MM has lots of nuances to his deployment.

At first you'll get an Outside Zone stretch for nearly each run, for the first couple series and just when you, as a defense, say to yourself: "alright, Munchack wants to get us moving horizontally, he wants own the edge and create some cutback," Munchack will call a backside pulling Guard, power kickout, with Gap control scheme on the backside and just obliterate the C-Gap.

Then he'll go about giving some Inside Zone and then right back to Gap scheme.

These two guys, Munchak and Jay Jay, would be a perfect marriage.

There's obviously competition for this man as an O-Line coach. Munchak, himself, may still fancy a chance at being a HC. There could be an "arms race" to get him.

Now, call him up for an interview, maybe add the offer of "associate - something-another" in addition to the O-Line Coach title, to sweeten the pot.

Call him the "Run Game Coordinator, Associate Offensive Game Planner / O-Line Coach," whatever.

Let's bust out the selling apparatus Bruce:

Morris not fired, but told he will not be D Coord. Contract up in Feb and he can test waters. But he is welcome back if he wants

Expand

ESPN 980 also reported that special teams and defensive backs assistant Richard Hightower also will not return to the Redskins. The Washington Post reports that offensive line assistant coach Chris Morgan also will not be back.

http://www.csnwashington.com/football-washington-redskins/talk/report-redskins-fire-3-including-rb-coach-turner

Morris not fired, but told he will not be D Coord. Contract up in Feb and he can test waters. But he is welcome back if he wants

Expand

ESPN 980 also reported that special teams and defensive backs assistant Richard Hightower also will not return to the Redskins. The Washington Post reports that offensive line assistant coach Chris Morgan also will not be back.

http://www.csnwashington.com/football-washington-redskins/talk/report-redskins-fire-3-including-rb-coach-turner

Good to know Raheem won't be in charge of the D. 

I wouldn't be upset to see him gone permanently. 

Hail. 

Maybe Haz is a fallback in Gruden can't get his LB coach from Cincy as DC or someone else he's interested in.  Haz did give him his first OC job so i can see him keeping Haz in some fashion if not even the DC but more of a confidant and trusted advisor in his first year.  I can certainly live with that as they've worked well together before  and it would be a class move for the pupil to the teacher.

Maybe Haz is a fallback in Gruden can't get his LB coach from Cincy as DC or someone else he's interested in.  Haz did give him his first OC job so i can see him keeping Haz in some fashion if not even the DC but more of a confidant and trusted advisor in his first year.  I can certainly live with that as they've worked well together before  and it would be a class move for the pupil to the teacher.

Yeah i could live with him in another capacity ,but definately NOT DC.

Archived