Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who's your top candidates for the Coordinator spots?

ZRagone

Totally disagree.  No one had a problem with Bobby Turner coming in to coach the RBs, even though he was a Shanahan guy, and he did a great job.

This isn't Haslett we're talking about. This guy's actually good at his job.

This is guy is a BIG win, if it's even true.

I'm not referencing this hire in particular, but rather just the whole idea of hiring all the old coaches from the Tampa days.  Sure, you can claim Shanahan did the same, but how'd that work out for us?!  I admittedly don't know anything about this new hire for ST coach (can't be worse than Burns, right?!), but to me, more big picture, it's just like he's hiring all of the old coaches just due to familiarity, rather than perhaps hiring the best man for the job.  C'mon, the mere fact that the only coaches that were retained before he was hired ALL have ties to Gruden shows that his hire, and our whole search, were a sham.  

And it's fine that you are looking at each individual coach--i get that.  But if that's the case, how on god's green earth can you or the team justify keeping Haslett around?  Let's face it--the ONLY reason he's still here is because he's worked with Jay prior.  I remember reading one report after Chunky was hired and the reported asked Haslett what he thought of the hire and he was all smiles and said that it was awesome!  Of course it was--job security and another big paycheck from The Dan are pretty awesome!

So, I guess, to me, big picture, I'm just not liking how this is shaping up.  I don't think it bodes well for our team's best interest nor our future.

Again, what am I missing?

He's still contracted to the Bears right? Where's this suddenly sprung from?

Hail. 

A coach can opt out if he is exploring a higher position with another team.  So a position coach to a coordinator, or assistant coordinator and a coordinator to a HC, etc.

But for teams I want a comodity.  We don't need to re-invent the wheel.  Wasn't Burns a hot shot assistant teams guy?

Get a proven comodity in here and let him do his thing. 

We're over thinking it, in my opinion.

Well, FWIW, he was TB's ST coordinator in 2011 and that year Tampa was ranked 9th in Opp's KRet avg and 8th in Opp's PRet avg.  He can't be worse than Burns right?  

He had a very good ST unit with TB in 2011 check it out.

Stukes spent the 2012 season with the Dallas Cowboys as a coach in their minority internship program after serving on Tampa Bay’s coaching staff for six seasons (2006-11), the last as the Buccaneers special teams coordinator.

During the 2011 season, Buccaneers kicker Connor Barth ranked third in the NFL in field goal percentage with a career-high 92.9 percent (16 of 28). Fellow Michael Koenen was seventh in the NFL in touchback percentage (58.7, 37 touchbacks of 63 kickoffs) and eighth in net punting average (40.3). The Buccaneers punt coverage unit was eighth in the NFL allowing just 7.4 yards per return and the kickoff coverage unit was ninth allowing 22.8 yards per return.

The main thing I'm concerned about with the coordinators is the players we get. I really believe that quality players can make any coordinator look good and we've been lacking special teams talent to return the ball for a while (minus the splash of Banks). Hopefully we can get back to a legitimate coverage game, but I'd like to see special teams help us with field position more, especially with Moss on the verge of leaving. 

Richard Crawford should be the front runner to be our return man next season, also I hopeful with this new ST coach Stukes that perhaps Chris Thompson or Williams can be developed into reliable returners as well.

I think we'll see a few of our late rounders go towards ST's studs this year. Guys pretty much guaranteed to stick at the end of the roster specifically for their ST's ability and work ethic. We need those guys and they're the ones where Shanahan said "nah...I'm gonna keep a 4th QB until I cut him three weeks later".

Richard Crawford should be the front runner to be our return man next season...

Disagree, the front runner for that position should not be on our current roster. Hope we draft or sign a FA returner........wish we went after Holliday that season he was available. We were still dealing with the cap penalty. Broncos signed for dirt cheap....

Disagree, the front runner for that position should not be on our current roster. Hope we draft or sign a FA returner........wish we went after Holliday that season he was available. We were still dealing with the cap penalty. Broncos signed for dirt cheap....

No way, with this blocking and our poor ST's talent, Holliday would have gotten killed here...his fumbles are still a big knock on him and he barely gets touched in Denver, compared to how he'd get destroyed here. Would have been a total failure and probably would have ruined his career.

So anyone know if Dwayne Stukes was actually signed on by Gruden to be the STs coach? I've looked around and have found no credible information indicating so.

Slightly annoyed to find out JSteelz stating Haz is 99% heading into 2014 as the DC. Was at least hoping to hear that Gruden was looking in another direction. Albeit I'm not going to go nuclear over it, I'm still disappointed if in fact he will be retained to oversee this defense for the upcoming season. 

Have we officially appointed of retained anyone yet?

Hail.

Nothing officially.

But the media is reporting that Bobby Turner is not being retained.

That alone troubles me.

Bobby Turner is the source of Mike Shanahan running game dominance, even moreso then Kubiack with QB/passing game.

The running game is Jay Gruden's area of weakness.

And according to Chris Russell, Turner was open to staying.

Imho letting Bobby Turner go is a mistake.

I was never part of the Haslett bashing especially now in light of Mike Shanahan's involvement.

BUT during a regime change is not the time to give people second chances and benefit of the doubt.

Regime change is about bringing on the best possible coordinators and assistants.

If we are going to run a 34 we should bring in the best 34 coordinator we can find.

And although Haslett wasn't as bad as everyone thinks I don't think anyone would consider him the best 34 coordinator available.

Imho keeping Haslett as DC is a mistake.

The possible naming of Sean McVay as offensive coordinator.

I have heard good things about McVay as a position coach and I think he will make a good offensive coordinator.

BUT as a first time OC, McVay will essentially be learning on the job and Gruden will have to spend alot of time helping McVay.

I think they should bring on a more experienced OC because it will allow Gruden more freedom to look at the whole team.

Archived