Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: Art Monk on Pierre Garcon

TK

December 22, 2013

FedExField

Redskins Hall of Fame Wide Receiver Art Monk

On wide receiver Pierre Garçon breaking his record for receptions in a season:

“I’m excited for him. It’s an opportunity that doesn’t come along very often, so whenever you have an opportunity to set a record with the NFL or a team, it’s a great opportunity. Having set the record myself, I understand how exciting it is, so I’m excited for him. Records are meant to be broken. I didn’t expect to have it as long as I had it, but I’m glad the pressure is off of me now. He has the opportunity to step forward and get all the praise and the glory for it.”

I remember when Portis was threatening Riggos record. I didn't want him to get it bc I like records being tied to winning. I kind of feel the same way about this. Garçon had a great season, but without the wins it's just an accumulation of stats.

I'm happy for Garçon, but this record really is just an individual fete.

I remember when Portis was threatening Riggos record. I didn't want him to get it bc I like records being tied to winning. I kind of feel the same way about this. Garçon had a great season, but without the wins it's just an accumulation of stats.

I'm happy for Garçon, but this record really is just an individual fete.

I didn't want him to get it because I couldn't stand him. He exemplified everything I hated about the team at the time. There's a reason he didn't break the record. Too close to Snyder... sense of entitlement... piss poor practice habits... idiotic characters rather than focus on football. Good riddance.

We might not be winning but at least Garcon has been a pro. He earned it.

I didn't want him to get it because I couldn't stand him. He exemplified everything I hated about the team at the time. There's a reason he didn't break the record. Too close to Snyder... sense of entitlement... piss poor practice habits... idiotic characters rather than focus on football. Good riddance.

We might not be winning but at least Garcon has been a pro. He earned it.

That's pretty much how Riggo felt.  He didn't want Portis to break his record either.  

I guess this may show that Garcon really is a #1 receiver. Some of the catches he has made this year and last simply wouldn't be made by the majority of receivers out there.

How about the catch he made today while he was flat on his back? He's had a handful of eye-popping catches like that this year.

There hasn't been much to be positive about this season, but he's been a pleasure to watch.  He runs like a power back after the catch, and has a non-stop motor even late in games when the outcome has been decided.

I'm a huge Art Monk fan.  One of the best Redskins ever.  His statement congratulating Pierre was nicely done.

Garcon might have broken the record during a down year, but if you watch his play, he rarely ever got freebies.  He was THE center of attention by opposing defenses in the secondary, especially with all the chaos going around the TE spot this season which we all figured going into the season was the #2 receiving threat. (and was for a short time with Reed).

Garcon has earned every damn yard he has got, and has made a lot of incredible catches.  If the dude only had a little more size, he would probably have about 20 TDs to go with all the catches & yards he compiled.

It would have been easy for him to take plays off, or whine or complain throughout the QB play this season, or walk off the field, or yell at his coordinator etc etc etc....but that isn't the kind of player he is.

Considering what he was able to do basically being the only play maker in the WR core, it is pretty amazing more teams weren't able to shift so much coverage to him in order to take him out of the game.

Great season Garcon!

Art Monk. The epitome of class.

I would not have expected to see anything less from Art on Garcon's record; he is a man of god, humble, and respected by everyone, including rivals.

If you need any proof, go watch his HOF induction, and how long the applause went on for, the cheers, and to see him trying to not be in the limelight by trying to begin his speech, only to be drowned out by the applause and cheering which got even louder.

Everyone knew he was well overdue to be there, and it was well deserved of the crowd to acknowledge him finally getting there.

I hope Garcon stays with the Redskins, and is 1/10th of the class act as Art, and he'll be just fine.

Monk set the record in 1984 the Skins were 11-5 and won the NFC East.

Garcon breaks the record in 2013 when the Skins are 3-12 and the worst team in the NFL.

I'm happy for Pierre, I really am, but it's kinda watered down when you're the only skill player with talent (save Alfred) on offense.

Archived