Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Thoughts on Jordan Reed's Condition?

DS_SUCKS

I love Reed, but he is one of the biggest pussies I've ever seen make it to the NFL. He was always getting up slow & taking himself out of the game after getting hit. I actually remember Cooley warning people of it on his show but I didn't pay it any mind until I saw him do it time after time.

He was a quarterback all through high school and was recruited as a quarterback by the University of Florida.  So for most of his football career he probably wasn't used to getting hit all that much.  I hope he can adjust, because he's got suction cups on the ends of his arms.

He was a quarterback all through high school and was recruited as a quarterback by the University of Florida. So for most of his football career he probably wasn't used to getting hit all that much. I hope he can adjust, because he's got suction cups on the ends of his arms.

Yeah I hope it's just a matter of adjusting to the punishment of the NFL game. Maybe after a 2nd offseason and a better understanding of the toll a season takes on the body he will bulk up and be able to take a pounding.

I am concerned because he does seems a little soft but again, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and see how he bounces back next season.

This really sucks, he and hank the only guys that showed progress have severe injuries.

I may be the only one but I say keep Davis on the cheap as insurance. Cut him when we find someone better. Paul is no Sharpe, another lie. Paulsen is backup hands TE at best. A hands TE likely 2 seem mandatory in the league now. 

Does anyone remember when it happened?

I thought for sure Will got his bell rung on the INT late last week and sure enough he was out a few minutes later asked to be way downfield blocking for screens. Twice. Reed Doughty got concussed twice recently. BMerri of course. I seem to remember some DBs. Hall at the goal line got donked. I am sure there are more. 

I am still not sold that football helmets prevent more concussions than they cause. What they prevent, is head trauma. Bloody noses etc. What they cause, are players to lead with their heads. And players target other players heads because they are "protected". 

How did we survive countless pickup tackle games growing up? Maybe because no one led with the head. 

How did we survive countless pickup tackle games growing up? Maybe because no one led with the head. 

Very true.  We played lots of tackle football pick up games growing up, and they were rough to say the least.  We were teenagers and I remember grown men coming to play.  We once had 20 vs. 20, which makes no sense but we didn't care.  and the worst injury we ever had was a broken collar bone.  Helmets don't do ****.  Oh back to the point of the post.  Head injuries aren't something to judge toughness on.  I don't have any concerns about Reed's toughness, once his head clears he'll be fine.

I have been concerned about Reed as well. Unless Davis wakes up soon, and applies himself to knowing his routes better, Cousins' targets become Paulsen and Paul -- no one with the escapabilty and hands that Reed has.

I would agree that if Reed doesn't heal up quickly, he should be IR'd. Maybe an over-reaction, but the persistence of the problem week-to-week makes me suspect it could be a more serious issue which only off-season rest/treatment might help.

Now perhaps the persistence of the headaches are unrelated to his hits on the field. (Some folks develop migraine issues as they get a little older). Or maybe it's an unrelated symptom that is tripping him up on the NFL post-concussion tests, even though he's really close to being able to play. Such possibilities might account for the wait-and-see stance of the Skins' coaches. (Or ....now cue the second chorus from the Shanny-haters here!)

Regardless, I am hoping for the best, and a complete recovery, for this talented player.

Very true.  We played lots of tackle football pick up games growing up, and they were rough to say the least.  We were teenagers and I remember grown men coming to play.  We once had 20 vs. 20, which makes no sense but we didn't care.  and the worst injury we ever had was a broken collar bone.  Helmets don't do ****.  Oh back to the point of the post.  Head injuries aren't something to judge toughness on.  I don't have any concerns about Reed's toughness, once his head clears he'll be fine.

Me and my friends played tackle, 3 on 3 5 on 5 growing up. Maul Ball! But even up through college, me and my dormers would play proper tackle on frozen tundra no less. Other times, we'd play other floors from our dorm. I cannot recall one clear arms up in the air single concussion, ever. No brutal head on head shots, ever.

Head injuries seem random. Look at FB's and MLBs, my lord talk about toughness. But they keep getting up. Other guys get one head shot and they are down - arms in the air.

I feel the bigger the head, the greater the likelihood of the head being hit. Simple science.

We have helmets built in already, our skulls. It is the jostling of the brain inside the head, that causes concussions (one form at least). Play with a beach ball sized helmet if you think bigger is better. Its why boxers got away from head gear. It made it too easy to hit someone in the head. Big head = big risk. Helmets are too big, and i think should be soft shell on the outside

I feel bad for Jordan Reed, his career was just taking off. Hopefully he fully recovers but it can take a long long time. TEs are huge in the passing game and think his injury has had a hand in RG3 being inactive.

While you do have a point regarding helmets being a potential cause for helmets its rather silly to compare even the most intense of pickup games to an NFL game.  Your pickup games did not involve the size or the speed of an NFL game.  Your games did not involve the intensity, the competitiveness, or bodies flying around the way they do in the NFL.  It's a nice thought but with helmets or not your games still likely would not have led to concussions because it was a completely different game.

Definitely valid concerns about Jordan Reed's durability.  A concussion is one thing as each one is different, for whatever reasons he hasn't been able to bounce back as quickly as other players.  Supposedly he was going to play the last two weeks but developed headaches leading up to the game.

Besides the concussion, Reed has had various other minor injuries even during games where he comes out for a couple series then re enters the game later.

Cooley talked about it during a game broadcast earlier this season, specifically questioning whether 'Jordan is even average in terms of toughness' and 'whether he has the toughness to play when not fully healthy'

Jordan Reed is one of the few bright spots on this team and looks to be a building block for the future on offense.  With Fred Davis leaving after this season, Niles Paul showing next to nothing as a TE, that leaves only Paulsen as a reliable back up.

Hopefully Jordan will be healthy for next season and be able to consistently stay on the field, otherwise his immense talent and value to the team doesn't mean as much if he can't play...

A coach who was looking towards the long term would deactivate him for safety reasons. The piece of **** masquerading as our coach however does not have such concerns. Unless of course it can be used as a PR stunt.

Are you friends with the team doctor ? How do you know Shanny doesn't give a rip?

Archived