Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ian Rapoport Has Spoken To Several GM's Regarding Cousins

DMVRG3

Tony Dungy just said "I like Kirk Cousins just where he is as the backup QB for the redskins". He also laugh at the notion that we'd get a 1st rounder for him. I keep telling you people, Kirk is a backup in this league.

Tony is a great guy, but you can take his knowledge of offensive players with a grain of salt.  Gruden took his same team in Tampa and won a SB.  Tony goes to Indy and does not touch the offense and wins a SB. He is a defensive guy.

I don't think you should ever trade more than a 3rd for a guy that's going to have to compete for the job.  I can't envision some team thinking he's a franchise QB off the limited sample size.  If I'm going to get him and declare him the starter, I might go 1st or 2nd, if I felt that strongly about him.

Just like foles, Mr 19 straight tds without an interception, is a backup. Foles took over for Vick and Kirk Cousins beat out foles for the starting job in college so badly foles left the state and region to az. Then turned around the eagles

yeah, I thought Foles was officially the starter in Philly now.

Let's not forget folks, that Cousins' drop to the fourth was a surprise.  He was supposed to be a second rounder at worst and they usually are meant to start

That's where I stand.  A third is very hit or miss as far as picks go.  A high second is interesting.  A first is very interesting.  A great back up qb is an important commodity.  You don't give that away on the cheap or on a gamble.

The problem is that regardless of how Cousins performs the next two games there will be an unwarranted amount of controversy this offseason going into next year if he stays with us.

The problem is that regardless of how Cousins performs the next two games there will be an unwarranted amount of controversy this offseason going into next year if he stays with us.

How is it unwarranted if one QB vastly out plays the other? Besides, competition at positions is only a good thing.

Could it be that Shanahan was contacted by another GM about trading for Cousins with the condition that he shows his value on the field first before moving forward. Thus the agreement to sit RG3 and give Kirk some play time. There is no way if Kirk were worth a 2nd with no condition to prove himself on the field that they would put him in  because Grossman is more expandable.

For me when I watched Kirk play it was a game of bootleg. I've never seen so many bootlegs in a game. I think other possible suitor just ask to see more of him.

I don't think they can legally contact any teams about trades after the trade deadline.  I know teams do anyhow and tamper.  I would say no, but that's just me.  

Really?   You mean to tell me that your thinking is that shallow on the subject?  What about integrity, committing and finishing what you started?

We were discussing Bridgewater, what the heck does Andrew Luck's parents financial status have to do with anything?

Your sure Bridgewater is a well educated young man, but you would deem him an idiot for not finishing that education with a degree.  Do you not see the irony in your statement?

I don't agree with KingDinka on most things.  But I do agree with him on college athletes leaving early for the pros.  It's about stacking those dolla bills and getting paid.  College is always there and they don't owe the university's ****.  Schools make so much money off athletes its ridiculous (schools with top athletic programs that is).  

And before you scream, but they gave him a scholarship for an education, blah blah blah.  Yeah they did, and he can lose his scholarship at a "snap" for many reasons (i.e. injury, grades, etc.).  Plus, they pay for the athlete's education for the price of the athlete playing the sport for them.  It's not a contract.  When they leave, the scholarship is available for another athlete to be offered.  

That's where I stand. A third is very hit or miss as far as picks go. A high second is interesting. A first is very interesting. A great back up qb is an important commodity. You don't give that away on the cheap or on a gamble.

I feel like a top backup qb on a team with this many holes is a luxury we can't afford. You can get quality starts from a lot of veteran backup QBs. If we can make 2nd or 1st or quality starter and a low pick for Cousins you have to do it.

Don't think today's performance has changed his stock at all.  IMO still a 2nd round value.  

If he plays well the next two weeks it could change, either way.  

True, but you never know how desperate a team can get, Rap only spoke with a handful of GM's, and trust me these GM's are particular with their words, saying one thing and thinking something else..

I know people are saying well ATL's backfield was full of rookies etc. Well in that case your supposed to torch that secondary and Cap'n did.

Dallas and NYG are next, and I couldn't be more excited about the next two games even if were 3-11

We're not getting a top 10 pick for cousins. He isn't great. He's a good QB but he doesn't look like a guy who could carry a team to a superbowl. This draft has some QBs that have legit "star" potential. I don't think he grades out any better then the top 3 guys. If we can get a 2nd and a 4th for him you've done your job as a GM. One thing to keep in mind is that Cousins starts are coming against 3 of the worst defenses the NFL has to offer, it shouldn't really bolster his value too much if he has a "good" day against them. I mean, Matt Flynn just went HAM on the cowboys...

I think the Cards might be willing to get a late 1st, I could see them going 10-6 and having a relatively late pick and wanting someone who can fill in a year or two when Carson steps down. 

The play calls weren't different (outside of missing the read option stuff). Griffin also has the opportunity most games to get that many pass attempts but there's a lot of factors that result in those numbers being slimmer (3rd down conversions, scrambling and running, sacks) - if Griff was as sound in the pocket, I think you would see the same type but he's just not at that point this season

Archived