Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ian Rapoport Has Spoken To Several GM's Regarding Cousins

DMVRG3

During the halftime show of Chargers @ Broncos Rapoport said he had spoken to 5 or 6 GM's and the most we could get for Cousins is a 2nd round pick.  That's surprising to me because I thought his value was a 4th or 3rd at best.

If that's the case, and Cousins performs well, he can garner a first round pick from several teams who are starving for a QB.  It's not inconceivable.

Then wouldn't that draft class turn out to be epic? 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000297289/article/washington-redskins-qb-rgiii-extremely-angery

3 minute mark.

During the halftime show of Chargers @ Broncos I am pretty sure I heard Schefter say he had spoken to 5 or 6 GM's and the most we could get for Cousins is a 2nd round pick.  That's surprising to me because I thought his value was a 4th or 3rd at best.

If that's the case, and Cousins performs well, he can garner a first round pick from several teams who are starving for a QB.  It's not inconceivable.

Then wouldn't that draft class turn out to be epic? 

This draft class is supposed to be a very good one so I wouldn't count on a 1st.

Heck, I'd be surprised if we got a 2nd.

I'd be satisfied with a 3rd.

This draft class is supposed to be a very good one so I wouldn't count on a 1st.

Heck, I'd be surprised if we got a 2nd.

I'd be satisfied with a 3rd.

Isn't the draft class hindered because a few QB's including the Oregon one ar deciding to stay for their final year?

I said this in another thread. What if Texans want Cousins and would rather use draft + Cousins to fix their holes without rebuilding. Teams currently picking 4, 5, 6, 7 all need Qbs badly and could trade up to #1. Texans, theoretically, could trade 1 to Cleveland for #7 and #24 and #39 (all current picks based on standings). Then they could turn around and trade #24 to Washington for Cousins and still have #7, #33 and #39 to revamp and get back on top ... plus their QB ...

Or they could go Bridgewater #1.

Not sure how that would work, if we could trade Cousins to them for a conditional pick and have it be their 33 and maybe 65 ... and have that change to 24 if the trade is made on draft day, etc. But it could be an option. Or we could trade Cousins to them for 2nd and 3rd, then allow them to turn around and take trade offers for #1 and basically move back a few spots and recoup those picks (trading #1 for #5, 2nd, 3rd and 2015 2nd) for example. Then they're essentially trading back from 1 to 5 for Kirk.

Or if Houston is set on Bridgewater at #1 and Hundley doesn't come out ... Vikings (4), Jags (5), Raiders (6), and Browns (7, 24) could be interested in trading for Cousins and giving us their 2nd ... or in teh Browns case, maybe even their 24th in the 1st.

I'm not sure how many people would actually give up a first.  I'd love it but I'm not sure they would.  A more likely increase would probably be a second lower pick

I think it's possible.  Who knows how Cousins will play.  He might play terribly.  But if he plays well, and I was a GM, I'd take a proven commodity over some unproven rookie (unless it was a QB the caliber of RG3 and Luck).

Would you rather draft a guy like Weedon in the first? How about Ponder? 

I think it's possible.  Who knows how Cousins will play.  He might play terribly.  But if he plays well, and I was a GM, I'd take a proven commodity over some unproven rookie (unless it was a QB the caliber of RG3 and Luck).

Would you rather draft a guy like Weedon in the first? How about Ponder? 

some of the failed draft picks in recent years, some of them spectacular failures, may make teams decide to do that.

From what I've seen there's going to be a pretty wide range of talent in the QB;s in the draft.  Some undersized, some with injury histories, things like that

If Cousins can garner a 1st round pick, then the question becomes do we even trade him?  I bet there aren't many GM's who would give up a 1st round pick even for RG3. 

Why in the world would we trade Cousins? He is under contract. Look, I see the potential in RGIII and would love to see him return to his 2012 form next year. I think he has a great chance to do that. But there are zero guarantees.

But if Cousins does well, why would you trade him when you are still not sure what you have in RGIII? Let's be realistic, QBs go down all the time. I would much rather have Cousins come off the bench then Grossman who should be finally off this roster.

A 1st rd draft pick IMO is not worth giving up our best back up plan if RGIII either goes down again or does not make the huge step forward he needs to.

You know something I haven't heard many people say?  How Kirk Cousins got all of the reps in the offseason. That means he has had two straight offseasons  8 preseason games, and 1 NFL start to improve his game.  He is probably very prepared, maybe more prepared than RG3 to start.

Cousins' value will likely go up significantly if he plays well in the next 3 games.

As seen with Matt Flynn, there is always a team out there willing to overpay for a young QB that appears to have any sort of ability and potential to be an NFL starter.

Would definitely trade Cousins for a 1st and maybe a 2nd.

Not sure getting a 3rd round pick is enough though.  Skins took him in the 4th round when many wondered why Shanny didn't instead fill other more glaring needs on the roster besides a backup QB.  Trading Cousins just a couple years after drafting him for a pick that is only one round higher than what was originally used isn't that great of a return in this case...

Archived