Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ian Rapoport Has Spoken To Several GM's Regarding Cousins

DMVRG3

Definitely don't think Luck is getting special treatment. He is their future QB. They are doing the right thing by let him play through his struggles. Let him learn. I really don't think it is about race. They should make RG3 finish out the season also. He knows he's not playing lights out, let him struggle. I think he will be better for it.

The only ones that deserve special treatment are reporters and fans:

psych%20ward.thefix.jpg

I'm having a problem with the rationale for trading.  Right now we have a very capable backup - at least as far as we know - who could start multiple games and win if RG3 gets hurt next year.  If given the chance to compete, there is a possibility - I think a small one - that he could be a starter.  And, until he fails, Cousins is a fan favorite.

So the thought behind trading isn't that you trade a fourth for a second (that sounds like a good deal), but that you traded a potential starting QB for a second (that sounds like a real bad deal - ala Brett Favre). And to be clear, the GMs said that was the "highest" that the Skins could get, not that they themselves would trade their second round pick.

A lot of this will play out in the next three games, but assuming someone offers a second round pick, is everyone happy with the backup QB coming off the scrap heap?  If we need to draft a QB with a 3rd or 4th rounder, then a trade even a second rounder looks bad.

You can't look a trade in terms of the pick used to get a player - you have to look at it in terms of the player's current worth. Take Alfred Morris as an example - he was only a 6th rounder, but he has demonstrated a worth far above that. Therefore, would it be a smart trade to ship him somewhere else for a 4th? After all, you're getting a 4th for a 6th, right? I'd say that would be a bad trade because even though you'd be getting back a pick higher in value than the pick you spent, you still wouldn't be getting good value for that particular player.

I know you were taking issue with the concept behind my post, which is fine, I agree that there are some situations where a player overperforms and you wouldn't trade that production for anything, but there's no reason to compare Morris and Cousins because we can only use Cousins regretfully. Look at the drama that starting him stirred up. You wouldn't take a first round pick to get that off of your hands?

I think it's a fantastic situation to be in, personally. When Kirk is gone, you draft another QB in the 4th or later and hope lightning strikes twice. This is what good scouting and depth can provide.

But, rest assured, I wouldn't even consider trading Kirk for less than a second. Despite the drama, he has a lot of value to us. First or second round value.

Now that is very, very wishful thinking. I am high on Kirk's trade upside, but not Top 5 high. You really think we could trade Cousins and a 3rd (you said mid-round) for the #4-6 pick back? That's some very wishful thinking. The Rams are close, and they'll load up on as much talent as they can. They're more likely than not going to trade our pick into even more picks. 

No no ... I ran the playoff simulator. You go through and pick all the games remaining. I picked the Skins over Atlanta and losing to NYG/Dallas and finishing 4-12. But as is customary when another team holds that pick, you show that team's record, not the pick's positioning. I edited my post.

I don't think that we'll sniff a top 5 for him but if we get outside the top 5 somehow and down around 7-10, I think it's very possible.  Especially if a team values Cousins more than a rookie coming out now.  If he's at a 2nd round value now, it's not far fetched that he can make a nice leap into a upper-tier 1st rounder.  Based off the playoff simulator, we need to get to around 5 wins - we have 2 winnable games left against ATL and NYG. 

Dude, there's nothing that shows that Cousins is worth a 1st or better than bradford. Not even a tinge of physical advantage. Just a guy that did some bootleg plays and beat the abysmal cleveland brown.

Bradford hasn't done anything since coming into the league except get hurt (2 of 4 seasons he's missed over half).  That absymal Cleveland Browns defense was actually not absymal but ranked fairly high last year.  Also, considering as it sits now, there are GM's that value Cousins at a 2nd, it's actually not far fetched for him to boost into a first round value with a strong 3 games.

Like I stated above ... if Kirk performs well in these 3 games I think we could get a late 1st out of someone ... or possibly a 2nd and 3rd. There are plenty of QB hungry teams ... enough to make it so Kirk could be a good fit for more than one team. 

Right now we need to be rooting for Hundley to go back to school. Manziel is def. gonna come out ... and the book is out on him. But if Hundley goes back to UCLA you really only have 2 guys in the Top 10 discussion. There will be risers, I'm sure, but the fewer "top 10 QBs" we have at this point in time, the better. Like I said, those teams at 4/5/6/7/8 are all going to be in the market for a QB and not all of them will be able to get a sure-fire guy at that top pick. With all the talent elsewhere in this draft, they could easily justify going BPA in the 1st and trading us their 2nd for Cousins.

The Colts were supposed to suck last year following Manning's departure, but Andrew Luck and the offense surpassed expectations. Now that team is regressing to the mean. This year, we haven't surpassed expectations; we haven't met expectations; hell, I wouldn't consider the team a disappointment -- we're an outright embarrassment.

Michael Irvin, like me, is certainly angry about what transpired about RG3 and his question is: Would they do this to Andrew Luck? Here is the video.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000297298/article/michael-irvin-on-rgiii-would-they-bench-andrew-luck

Irvin is very intense. As a result, Luck is now on thin ice. There are people now observing this with their racial lens. That includes Luck's teammates. Why is Luck getting special treatment? As Luck keep stinking it up I'm sure people will start leaking stuff and questioning why he's not getting the RG3 treatment. I don't know why there is no thread about this. First take is about to talk about it.

This thing is getting intense. I'm not sure Shanahan understands the ramification of this decision. This thing might affect the whole league. If Shanahan is fired he might not be able to get another job.

To answer Michael Irvin's question - hell yes the Redskins would bench Andrew Luck.  They benched Super Bowl QB Rex Grossman, who was 3-1 at the time, for former Baltimore Ravens 4th string QB, midway through the Philadelphia game.  The only game Rex had lost was the Cowboys in Dallas.

There is always just one person who is keeping the Skins from greatness, and that person is always the HC or the QB.  Always.

Maybe I'm missing the point, but what does this have to do with Cousins trade value?

Really? You're not familiar with why we're suddenly talking about Cousins' trade value? Really?

Definitely don't think Luck is getting special treatment. He is their future QB. They are doing the right thing by let him play through his struggles. Let him learn. I really don't think it is about race. They should make RG3 finish out the season also. He knows he's not playing lights out, let him struggle. I think he will be better for it.

The only ones that deserve special treatment are reporters and fans:

psych%20ward.thefix.jpg

Luck does get special treatment by the media. How come nobody's talking about why he can't complete 60% of his passes even though he's playing in a dome?

Luck does get special treatment by the media. How come nobody's talking about why he can't complete 60% of his passes even though he's playing in a dome?

He doesn't, they knock him for it but also point out that he is in an offense that attacks down field much more.  His passes are going to be more less percentage passes than Griffins

106.7 just said that there's a rumor that Bridgewater is contemplating staying in school. I don't think his stock would be any higher than this year, especially with Mariota staying at Oregon. But if somehow Bridgewater stayed at Louisville, Kirk's stock would rise.

As crazy as it sounds, with all the poo RG3 went through, if he had finish the season he could have had a 4000 yards passing. He now have: 3,203 passing, 489 yards rushing and guess what? He's completing 60.1% of his passes. With all those adverse condition the kid still complete 60% of his passes and playing outdoor. Maybe Shanahan is right, this kid needs preserving for meaningful game. I think the defense and special team benched RG3. I think Snyder and Shanahan realize how bad the team is and do the right thing because it was only a matter of time that RG would get hurt. And I believe they explained it to RG3 as well. RG3 is just acting disappointed because if he didn't there would have been a media backlash for cordially accepting a benching. So, I'd say, give them hell Kirk and bring us a 1st rounder.

Now, if you compare RG3's number to that of Geno Smith you'd understand what I mean.

He doesn't, they knock him for it but also point out that he is in an offense that attacks down field much more.  His passes are going to be more less percentage passes than Griffins

That's not true. Pagano's offense is not a down field offense which is the opposite of Aryans offense from last year. Watch the goddamn game!

106.7 just said that there's a rumor that Bridgewater is contemplating staying in school. I don't think his stock would be any higher than this year, especially with Mariota staying at Oregon. But if somehow Bridgewater stayed at Louisville, Kirk's stock would rise.

If he did he'd be an idiot. His mother was sick from Cancer and still managed to take care of him as a single parent. The least he could do is get an early start at taking care of her back. If he did he'd be one selfish dude.

Not quite sure the Skins have leverage because I think a lot of G.M.'s know the Skins have to  make a move on Cousins one way or another after this debacle with RG3. Question why is it I cannot quote a post?

Do you have IE 11? Since I upgraded on my computer at home, I cannot quote someone's post when using that computer.

Really? You're not familiar with why we're suddenly talking about Cousins' trade value? Really?

Of course I'm familiar with the reason Cousins is getting a shot.  It just seems like the purpose of this thread was to discuss Cousins trade value, not the reasons why Cousins is getting a shot.  Discussing whether RG3s benching is right or wrong, along with Irvin, seems like it'll fit better in a different thread.

Does anyone REALLY think that if Luck was 3-10 he would not be answering the heat?

Instead, regardless of his problems, his team is 8-5 and have already earned a playoff berth.

That makes people very forgiving, and if fans are happy, there's no point in writing bad news that won't sell.

I mean really,, think about this from a practical standpoint.

~Bang

I'm not a big fan af catring the the emotions if 23 year olds. So I guess that makes me an old fart.

Or not homer donning rose colored glasses.   If KC performs well in the next three you hold on to him with tooth and nail.  RG had one truly solid game this season.  And in that game he was running a lot.  We have 3 wins with him under center.  I don't care who the teams are that we play in the upcoming weeks... The NFL has more parity than any other sport by far.  It's not easy to win in this league.  If you recall we were neck and neck with the Broncos for a half till we multi time had failed drives in the second half.  Yeah, I know the line.. Kyle Kyle Kyle.  Save it.  RG is not a proven anything based on last year, cause that isn't playing NFL QB.  He might look in good or great combines, footwork whatever that he has all the tools and is a given to make the transition, but that isn't what it takes.  It takes a mindset to play QB at the highest level.  PM has a wobbly throw much of the time and is heavy footed in the pocket but still he moves adequately enough to slide into lanes and get rid of the ball.  Brady isn't super mobile or fast by any stretch of the imagination, but he to gets the job done.  Having physical skills doesn't guarantee a success as a QB in the NFL   Period

That's not true. Pagano's offense is not a down field offense which is the opposite of Aryans offense from last year. Watch the goddamn game!

When compared to RG3, which is what we're comparing right?, then he is.

While his number of downfield attempts have faded in Pagano's offense (up 6% within 10 yards in 2013), they are still greater than RG3s (32% of Lucks passes have been between 11-30 yards compared to 26% for RG3)

And as Bang pointed out, it doesn't matter right now because he's winning and will be in the playoffs.  I'll take RG3 throwing 58% if we are sitting at 8-5 and in the division lead vs. him throwing 60% and sitting at 3-8.  If Luck's accuracy issues being to reflect in the W/L column then it's a different story because those mistakes and inaccuracies are leading to losses (which is the case of RG3 and part of the reason we are at where we are)

And I just flat disagree with that approach.

If it's to placate Robert, then guess what kid, this is the big leagues, grow up and deal. There's no room for jealousy or nervousness or anything.

Having 2 good QBs is better than 1. And having Kirk here to push Robert wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

If I was running things, I'd keep both, tell Robert to grow up, and just be better than him and he'll play.

Simple. And if RGIII had a problem with that, he can stew on the bench until he figured out that's how professional life is. And if RGII had a problem with it, I'd politely tell him to shut his trap.

I'm not a big fan af catring the the emotions if 23 year olds. So I guess that makes me an old fart.

I certainly agree with your last sentence. Robert is not bigger than the team.

Sure you can still have Cousins and Griffin on the same roster.  They have been on the same roster for two seasons now.

And just curious,  what is your reasoning to why they both can't be on the roster?

Both are under contract, and Cousin's contract is very cap friendly for the team.  In today's NFL, you need a good backup quarterback, who are we replacing him with?  Sexy Rexy?  Another draft pick?

He's getting a shot on Sunday.  And when his rookie contract is up, he can look for another team if he's not traded before then.  Until then, the Redskins hold his rights and can sit him on the bench if they like.  He's UNDER CONTRACT.

Cousins may be getting his shot on Sunday, but it isn't a real shot.  Shanahan and the FO have already said RG3 is the starter next year.  To me, that isn't a real chance at starting.  It's a temporary fill.  What if Cousins blows it out of the water?  I don't see any reason we shouldn't let him continue to do so, as long as he's under contract.

Archived