Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I'd like to See the Fanbase Rise Above and Send London Out Properly

kleese

Trying to come up with something positive and here goes:

I am not a rah rah fan. If you sat next to me at a game you'd probably think I was a casual fan at best. I'm pretty quiet, I don't yell and scream. I do a whole lot of writhing and cussing under my breath. I occasionally let out a scream of joy. But I generally keep it all inside and after the game I'm either kind of droopy (more often) or energized and chatty (much less often).

And I'm also not a sign-maker or a guy that gets all gussied up in gear-// I'll don a jersey on gameday and that's about it. And I'm not one to idolize individual players all that much. I have my favorites of course (Gary Clark topping the list), but I'm a Redskin fan above any individual.

So this thread is out of character for me. But I did think about it today and it bummed me out.

Lost amid all this madness is the fact that London is winding down his career over these next three games. Not sure if that is official or not, but it's pretty obvious. He has had a horrible year. Father Time has caught up to him. But he still busts it just like he has his entire career and just like he has since he came here in 2006.

Eight seasons in one place thesedays is an eternity. And do it with the class and character of London is even more rare. He was a brilliant FA signing for us--- arguably the best in team history.

For most of those 8 seasons he was not only a model leader, but a fantastic player. No need for me to go on and on about him as we all know the details and what he brought to the table.

Sucks that he was so often lost on bad teams with swirling drama. Glad he got to experience 2012 so he could see at least a tad of how cool it is when the Redskins are good. Glad he got to experience just a touch of magic in that Dallas game last year when it really felt like the Redskins were back. But mostly, he continued to fight for dreadful teams with superiors that were not as character driven as him.

He is going out now in near annonimity due to the mess the team is in.

In two weeks he will play his last home game and I wonder if anyone will notice?

Here is my hope and my plea to my fellow fans that might be in the area/going to the game:

Instead of taking out your frustrations on the situation in a negative manner that day (no one could blame you) how about we rise above the silliness and instead channel our collective energy into saying thank you and goodbye to a great Redskin?

I'd love to see someone pick up this torch and organize something. Maybe fans like Pez and Huly could step up and get something going--- they've always been a cut above and have always had things in proper perspective--/ maybe gear the tailgate efforts that day towards London. Maybe we can get some signs and such going.

This is really out of my element here and I'm halfway across the country so I can't really do anything about it other than offer this thread. I'd love to see someone else pick it up and run with it. I think it would reflect well on the fanbase to respond FOR London instead of against everyone else. Might not be enough motivation for some, but the guy deserves it.

Here's to hoping.

Awesome thoughts and something that could have gotten lost in all the "noise" with Shanahan and RGIII. I am trekking down from NJ with my 17 year old and we'll try our best to represent these thoughts. Now, I might have to head to the Meadowlands for the final......

HTTR!

Probably should keep Santana in mind for this as well. Granted, he's not quite as old as London, but he's been here for nine seasons and this may well be his last game in the B&G.

For sure. I might be making this up, but I thought London indicated already that this would probably be it for him--- don't think Moss did the same.

Yeah I'll be sad to see both London and Santana go when their time comes. It's been a lot of fun watching them. Santana gave me my greatest moment as a fan in 2005 and London has been my favorite player for years before we got RGIII.

Those guys have earned a great place in the history of the franchise. They've had awesome careers. Definitely worth celebrating. Cheers to them.

Awesome thread! .. In all of this circus mess there are 51 other guys that play for this team and Santana and London are core Redskins who most likely are wearing the burgundy and gold for the last time.. Heck Orakpo might be wearing the burgundy and gold for the last time as well....

The rest of the team must feel like they don't exist because its all about Shanny,Fan Snyder,Rg and Kirk... I hope the media builds up the game around the fact that its the last chance you get to see London play.. This franchise owes it to him and Santana to somehow get Redskin fans to fill that stadium up .... They deserve better than a 60/40 cowboy/redskins fan half filled stadium. 

I love London Fletcher...he always brings it each & every game...time has slowed him a bit..but he's still the leader on this defense IMO! I don't have many Skins jerseys(financially can't afford but so many) so I pick & choose my jerseys wisely...I have a Fletcher jersey and I wear it w/pride..he's the epitomy of what football is supposed to be and he's a great human being to boot. I am glad he became a Redskin and I'm glad that he's stayed here..I will certainly miss him when he retires! HTLF!!!

Whatever happened to Chris Samuels when he did similar?

Like an internship helping out on the O-line. Maybe under Zorn? Might only of been the off-season but there was definitely something IIRC. 

Hail. 

Samuels left after he got his head rung and was subsequently put into retirement against Carolina - so we didn't have the chance to say goodbye.

Would be all for hiring Fletcher to coach LBs though.

Nah man. He defo had some kind of coaching gig on an internship level for a spell.

I need to look this up when I'm home.

Hail.

He interned here for a year then home to coach high school kids.

And it was his neck, not his head.

Archived