Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

One Fans Look to the Future:Robert Griffin

darrelgreenie

Routes from the handwritten note:

Pass Play 1: Bootleg TE1-Drag TE2-Motion into the flat- #12 block then release into a drag #18 Corner route

Pass goes to TE2

Pass Play 2: 3 step #12 Corner route #18 Slant

Ball to #18 on slant

Pass Play 3: 5 step All go/seams. WR-Sideline go TE1-Seam-go, TE2-Seam-go, WR-Sideline go.

RB 7 yard check down over the middle. Thrown to Gio on the check down.

Grudes dialed this play up later with a pump-fake to Gio then hit AJ down the sideline for a TD.

I love this play concept and was very glad to see this concept used in the offense.

The all-go/seams concept was covered early in this thread here:

http://es.redskins.com/topic/374998-one-fans-look-to-the-futurerobert-griffin/?p=9669403

http://es.redskins.com/topic/374998-one-fans-look-to-the-futurerobert-griffin/?p=9676043

• 2 weeks later...

Wasn't sure where to put this but a nice blurb on Insider in regards to RG3 from Matt Williamson.

Matt Williamson

Expert's take: Robert Griffin III

"Just watching him on tape I'll bet he was never healthy all year. He has to get healthy first and foremost. He rushed back way too soon, but that wasn't the only problem. His lower body mechanics were bad and I don't know if it was because of the injury or not. I think you need to build him from the ground up with the new staff. ... I'm still confident he's going to be a star. But that was a rough year. He didn't put any good tape for most of the season. I think he's so unbelievably gifted, we saw him make a lot of great plays -- not just as a runner. He's a good deep passer. He has a big arm. Jay Gruden has to be salivating. I'm not an
fan at all and he got a lot out of Dalton. People looked at it the wrong way by asking why hire a guy whose quarterback falls apart in the postseason. I'm saying, ‘We hired a guy who had a quarterback with below-average skills and he got them to the postseason.' There wasn't a lot of clay to mold in Cincinnati."

I still don't see what four extra weeks of not playing would have done. He still would have been rusty

I think the idea is that in each of those four weeks he was worried about getting the game plan involved and learning the tendencies of the opposing defense, etc., when he should have been working on his fundamentals solely at that time to get his rhythm back.  

2013 was a great learning experience for the kid, I think he should come back better than ever.  People like RG3 learn from their mistakes, improve, and move on to bigger and better things.  One year will not define this kid, that much I know. 

I have to believe the redskins drafted him for his arm and qb smarts first, and the fact that he is a world class track runner was just a bonus.

I think Rg3 will develop into a great rhythm passer once he is put into the right offense, which is NOT the pistol BTW.  If so he is going to crush teams way worse than he did as a rookie.  I do not believe that Jay Gruden will want to feature him as a runner.  Develop his footwork, and passing attack, and build an offense around that and you will have yourself one of the best QBs to play the game.  If they do feature him as a runner, I dont think his career will last longer than 5 years.   He definitely has the potential.  Its up to this staff to put him in the right position, develop him correctly, and put the correct pieces around him.

Harbaugh described the Gruden offense as a West Coast style, with an emphasis of short routes and getting the ball out of the quarterback's hands quick.

^^^^Jim Harbaugh

And Marvin Lewis said the other day Jay's gift is seeing and running the offense via the Qb's eyes.  He can see the game the way they like to see it.  Conversely, I recall a similar thing being said about Kyle but in his case it was about him seeing the game via the WR position.

“He just needs to relax right now. Enjoy the offseason,” Gruden said. “When it’s time, it’s time. We’ll get plenty of time with him to work with his fundamentals, and just don’t stress out over it right now. He’s so anxious and wants to do so well all the time. He’s such a perfectionist that he needs to settle down right now, enjoy the offseason, enjoy the players he’s working out with right now, and have some fun.”

That is why i do not worry about Robert Griffin III.

http://www.espn980.com/includes/blog/index.php?action=blog&blog_id=8&post_id=17291

The other way? Throw the ball around to ESPN 980's Chris Cooley. Yup. Cooley, has a full time job of 4-7 on "The Drive" with Czabe and Al Galdi but Griffin III and Cooley have met at a local field near Redskins Park and helped each other out.

"I'll say he looks awesome right now, per the fact that I've been running routes for him," Cooley said on ESPN 980 on Monday. Cooley has done this a couple of times with Griffin over the last few weeks, as a way for the former Redskins tight end to stay in shape and to help out his former teammate.

Cooley said something that I had not really heard from him in various conversations about Griffin's progress. "I'm watching him run and it's like 'You're back to the Robert I saw when you first walked thru the door here.'

Sure, it's easy to say that in March, but one thing I've learned about Cooley from covering him and now working with him on ESPN 980, Redskins Radio and our TV/web show on Redskins.com - he doesn't like to talk a lot of nonsense. He's honest and real. Sometimes he'll ruffle feathers.

On Monday, Cooley was relaying his observations as a member of the media, but more importantly as somebody who played the game at a high level and knows what he is looking for. "I literally am out there running around. I'm thinking man I feel pretty good.Im really running well, like running good routes. We're (Griffin III and Cooley) talking about how to run different kinds of routes, what you like, what I like. I feel like I'm looking good," Cooley said on "The Drive."

Then the jargon turned slightly to football and humor mixed together. "For fun, I'm like run a 'stick-nod' route, an 'out-and-up and go.' Cooley continued. "Dude comes out of the break, and it's like 'yeah, I'm not running very well compared to what he just did.'

It was classic Cooley. Funny, but well timed and delivered with sarcasm.

"If that route was 40 yards, he was two seconds," Cooley explained. That might be stretching the truth a bit, but he's trying to point out how fast Griffin III is running already. It's only March.

This is significant because "he didn't run last off-season," Cooley said on ESPN 980. "He didn't sprint at all last off-season. He didn't plant. He didn't put his foot in the ground. You can't be 100%."
At which point, Steve Czaban said "it's almost like he shouldn't have started the season." Again, Cooley with a touch of sarcasm, perfectly deliverd a rebuttal to Czaban, "Yeah, It is like that."

Whatever. I'm not here to re-hash all that went down in Griffin's first two years. All that matters now is moving forward. The past is done.

Here's something that will make you feel good if you are a Redskins fan, something that should warm you up on what should be the last frigid March day we'll have in 2013.

Cooley finished his assessment on Griffin III with this, "From first-hand watching him run, throw, work -- "He's healthy. He's really healthy. So I like where we're at there. I feel really good about that."

Marvin Lewis said the other day Jay's gift is seeing and running the offense via the Qb's eyes. He can see the game the way they like to see

From looking at Grudes offense with the Bengals i have no doubt Griffin will operate his offense/ passing game at higher level then Dalton. Dalton more or less functioned in a 1 read quick pass offense and without exxageration I feel that Griffin is further along then Dalton.

If Grudes is successful it will be because of his passsing game concepts and ability to work with Griffin. Now the remaining questions I have are whether or not we have enough receiving options/weapons and can Haslett get this defense to create pressure and turnovers.

I can't wait for the draft and pre-season.

Per Roto:

Redskins coach Jay Gruden wants Robert Griffin III to be a diverse and balanced quarterback so the team can tailor their offense to attack any defensive scheme.

With Gruden at the helm, it is almost a lock Griffin will throw the football 550+ times, but his use in the rushing game is more uncertain. Gruden said Washington will continue to employ the read-option in some capacity, but the volume of carries may come down to how comfortable RGIII feels rushing the ball. Griffin will be roughly 20 months removed from his ACL tear when Week 1 rolls around this season and is a prime candidate for a bounce-back season. Mar 29 - 11:57 AM

“We have a base philosophy on offense: Trying to get everybody involved, short passing game, receivers doing a lot of the work after the catch, the good hard, play-action, taking some shots down the field, being very diverse in what we do...” -Grudes

That's what he says, but the bengals threw deep a LOT last year. Which is probably because they had Green. And when he made this comment here, he didn't have much of a deep threat on the roster. I'd guess his tune would change quickly if he had one on the roster, he showed last year he likes going deep when he has the personnel.

That's what he says, but the bengals threw deep a LOT last year. Which is probably because they had Green. And when he made this comment here, he didn't have much of a deep threat on the roster. I'd guess his tune would change quickly if he had one on the roster, he showed last year he likes going deep when he has the personnel.

You are speaking in generalalities and as usual making assumptions. No one is saying they don't throw downfield. In fact Grudes affinity towards throwing deep has been highlighted in this thread. But, the bulk of his passing game is quick, 3-step heck sometimes even 1-2 or a simple catch and throw.

You are speaking in generalalities and as usual making assumptions. No one is saying they don't throw downfield. In fact Grudes affinity towards throwing deep has been highlighted in this thread. But, the bulk of his passing game is quick, 3-step heck sometimes even 1-2 or a simple catch and throw.

So why bold his comment about the short passing game? Seemed to me like you were implying Desean didn't fit into that ( which is why I posted what I did about the deep passing game under Gruden, but it's equally as important to point out that Desean is electric in the short passing game as well with serious YAC skills). If that wasn't your reasoning behind bolding what you did, or if I took it out of context, then I apologize.

“First off, Jay’s an excellent coach,” Ravens coach John Harbaugh said this week in Orlando. “It’s a West Coast offense. I think the Grudens have their own patent on their own version of the West Coast offense because they built it so well. But it’s based on running the ball effectively. They’re very physical up front, and three-step, controlled passing. The ball comes out quickly and it’s really hard to get to the quarterback. It’s based on probably a quick read and the ball’s out quick.

So why bold his comment about the short passing game? Seemed to me like you were implying Desean didn't fit into that ( which is why I posted what I did about the deep passing game under Gruden, but it's equally as important to point out that Desean is electric in the short passing game as well with serious YAC skills). If that wasn't your reasoning behind bolding what you did, or if I took it out of context, then I apologize.

No need to apologize.

But you do seem to repeat the same pattern over and over.

Anyhow......why bold the portion about the short passing game? This thread is solely about how the offense might look headed into the future where I state my opinions and views clearly without any hidden implications. I have been talking about the short passing and quick release nature of Grudes offense in Cinci in this thread for awhile. Again, this entire thread is specifically about how the offense/passing game might look under JG.  You should peruse the thread you might pick something up.

Cheers...

So what point are you making here? I thought it was DJax related but that seems to not be the case.

Read the thread.

I don't care what he looks like when's he's throwing against air. Grossman looks good doing that. It comes down to doing it in a game when defense are mixing up blitzes and coverages  That's where he struggles. Even in 2012, when teams knew we had to pass we were not converting 3rd downs.  What got him benched was he wasn't picking up blitzes and was holding on to the ball, thus taking big hits.  I know the kid is a hard ass worker, but if this team lands Jackson, and goes to a passing offense, I'm not sure Griffin's best suited for that. The Redskins won't say it, but they want to see what Cousins can do in Gruden's offense.  

Looking at the pieces we have on offense vs the pieces the Bengals I have I think we're gonna see more 10 and 11 personnel (more 3-4 WR spread and less 1-2 TE spread).

Grudes often split Gresham and/or Eifert in their spread/shotgun formations. But we have more WR talent then we do WRs talent.

I'll look for some 3-4 WRs play concepts.

30ivq4o.jpg

This is a look at a spread formation from the Bengals last year.

11 Personnel  Griffin, Helu/Morris, Reed, DeSean, Garcon, Roberts

This formation forces the defense to play  'lite' in the box w/ only 6 defenders and still leaves the secondary playing defacto 1-1 with a single post safety.

I saw defacto 1-1 because when a zone defense is strecthed because of spread formation the outside defenders are sometimes so far away from help that there initial coverage almost becomes man.

Based on what we know about the offense under Grudes we can expect:

72% of formations had 3 or more WRs

72% of formations were in shotgun

Ball comes out quick: average time from snap to throw was 2.24 seconds w/Gruden vs 2.66 seconds under Kyle

Downfield passing attempts will increase: 2013 Dalton 86 attempts 20+ yards vs Griffin 46 attempts

2012 Dalton 67 attempts 20+ yards vs Griffin 36 attempts

Offense will favor the pass more then run but will still have some semblance of balance:

Pass/Run ratio w/Grudes:
2013-54.96/45.04
2012-55.67/44.33
2011-55.04/45.96

2whnthz.jpg

On this play its 11 personnel w/ TE iso on the left side then trips WR on the right side

The play was a quick flare to the inside slot WR that almost is a screen because the other receivers kinda run a route to disguise a stalk block:

n2o42e.jpg

Ball is throw in 1.2s (hand time) to the inside slot WR

A lot of people are concerned with whether or not RGIII will regain his speed. IMO it's not that important. What's important is that he develop as a passer. He'll still have the speed and quickness to scramble and make plays. We don't need him to run like a running back.

2whnthz.jpg

On this play its 11 personnel w/ TE iso on the left side then trips WR on the right side

The play was a quick flare to the inside slot WR that almost is a screen because the other receivers kinda run a route to disguise a stalk block:

n2o42e.jpg

Ball is throw in 1.2s (hand time) to the inside slot WR

This is an example of a quick hitting play that could get DeSean or Garcon or Roberts the ball in space on a quick pass/simple read.

If Grudes runs this same formation it would split Reed out wide Left forcing the defense to declare coverage man vs zone based on who is defending Reed a LB/SAF is most likely man CB is most likely zone creating a mismatch with a LB or SAF on a WR on the opposite side of the formation. Or the defense could play all 4 CBs which would leave the extremely vulnerable to the run especially playing a 6 man box against Griffin+Morris+5 OL.

Archived