Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

One Fans Look to the Future:Robert Griffin

darrelgreenie

I really can't say. I watch the games on all-22 and they way the show the plays I lose concept of time to assess no-huddle or not.

I would assume that Grudes ran more no-huddle/up-tempo then Kyle.

But, to what extent I can't say. From TV feed Bengals game I watched the no huddle didn't seem like a regular part of their offense though.

But that doesn't mean he won't use no huddle here, I hope that he does and agree with you that our personnel seems to lend itself towards no-huddle.

Gruden said. "I think we have the ability to do it any time. Andy really likes it, so I really like it. It's a matter of communicating the calls the right way, making sure we utilize it properly."

"(Dalton) likes it. He likes the up-tempo stuff, no question about it. So we have to give it to him more."

Even Dalton himself is excited about the potential of a new no-huddle thanks to his two new targets:

"Last year we did no-huddle with three receivers; now we can do it with two tight ends," Dalton said

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/cincinnati-bengals-qb-andy-dalton-must-utilize-no-135500044.html

http://prod.www.bengals.clubs.nfl.com/news/article-1/Notes-Installation-insanity-No-huddle-no-brainer-OL-samples-youth/56a4cbc5-d8ba-42a1-ae8a-0ef466a4fdb3

If it came to WR at 34 I would prefer Martavis Bryant over Benjamin at 34. This being a deep draft for WRs and short of getting Beckham or Martavis Bryant I would look more to guys like: Jordan Matthews, Cody Latimer, Kevin Norwoord, Devin Street in the 3rd/4th round.

Or Brandon Coleman in the 5th-6th.

Matthews seems to have gotten hotter with the draft geeks of late, I see him creep into the late first in their mocks here and there, but again who knows.  He'd fit the big receiver need and he's relatively smooth and polished -- maybe similar in that way to Terrance Williams.   

So one thing I have been worried about is how our run game will be effected by the smaller starting WRs we have now. I know if we spread the ball out we will see less defenders in the box, but I wonder how well our receivers will fair blocking on the outside during those zone runs. 

Do you guys have any opinion on that? 

If KB is there @ 34, I'd run to the podium w/ his name in hand and never look back.

Id hope to God we have a RT that is rated highest on our draft board when pick #34 comes up. But whoever is highest on our board when we pick we should be selecting within reason (Not a QB, RB etc etc).

......the big positive of having a coach like Gruden who seems to be empowering to his QB in the offense (a huge 180 from our previous situation), is that i fully expect us to utilize our weapons in non-conventional ways that all taylor to the skills that our QB excels at. 

with Dalton you saw more quick trigger route-combos, & they steered away from deep routes, & especially deep-middle, & intermediate routes that take time to develop.  you can incorporate those plays with RGIII because he excels at deep ball accuracy (when healthy), can extend plays with his feet, & is a threat to run.  i mean...imagine the first time we spread out & get man coverage with safety help, & we just run all go's or verticals.  just count to 3, if nobody is breaking free....run.  there should be plenty of room...just make sure to get down.

Regardless of the method conventional or non I think Grudes ability to connect with Griffin and build the offense and team through the eyes of a QB is gonna reap huge benefits. Grudes already spoke about asking for input from Griffin and running the plays and concepts he likes, which is what he did with Griffin. I want to believe this meeting of the minds means some Baylor concepts/plays.

Actually, Dalton-Grudes threw more deep stuff then Kyle+Griffin:

http://es.redskins.com/topic/374998-one-fans-look-to-the-futurerobert-griffin/?p=9714038

My thinking is that if Grudes went downtown that often with Dalton, at the very least he'll dial long distance as often.

My guess would be once he sees Griffin's deep ball ability it will be a feature part of the passing game.

This is the best interview I've heard with Terry Shea, its on a central texas radio station, RG3 calls into it and talks too

http://stationcaster.com/stations/kr...1397510758.mp3

Thanks for the link, great interview. Terry tries hard not to assign blame but he mentions having a inexperienced QB coach and a young OC and not having a direct relationship with the HC.

The article posted in the other thread is on the same topic but its not the same interview.

Thanks for the link, great interview. Terry tries hard not to assign blame but he mentions having a inexperienced QB coach and a young OC and not having a direct relationship with the HC.

The article posted in the other thread is on the same topic but its not the same interview.

Its posted like 5 times in that thread and talked about. I agree tho it is a good interview and great insight into shea and rg3 relationship.

Thanks for the link, great interview. Terry tries hard not to assign blame but he mentions having a inexperienced QB coach and a young OC and not having a direct relationship with the HC.

OK yeah I wondered about that, yeah I knew all about the 980 interview and the one on 106.7, but, I didn't see this specific interview posted, which is more detailed and more interesting. 

In this one, playing off of your comments -- I took it as Shea saying that Mike Shanahan is the QB guru, not the other guys on staff. But Mike Shanahan didn't coach the Qbs here and spent little time with RG3.    The guys who did (Lefleur, Kyle) are relatively young and inexperienced.  But yeah Shea was more direct in this interview saying it was a flagrant miss by the Redskins to not work with RG3's mechanics and fix them.  He also echoed here as he did in the other interviews that he will benefit from having a hands on Jay Gruden who not only gets QBs but will actually be the guy working with RG3.

Cliff notes -- RG3 will work with hands on Jay Gruden who is a people/fun person to boot versus hands off Shanny who according to Cooley at least isn't a people person and according to some players, not a heck of a lot of fun and rules more by fear.    So you got an RG3 who is in a happier state with a coach who will work more closely with him to bring out his best.  

Yup. Working directly with Jay means Griffin will have direct access to the creator of the offense and the ulitmate decision maker on the team. Jay has already mentioned he will seek Griffin's input has stated that he won't/doesn't run plays the QB (Dalton/Griffin) doesn't like.

I hate going back to last year but that is a BIG difference in the last regime. There was a lack of trust in the playcalling stemming back to the Seattle game and there was a lack of faith in the playcalling as evidenced by some of Griffin's comments.

But bringing it back around to Jay. From watching his offense it seems clear that Dalton has unflinching faith in Jay's ability to call plays that get the 1st read open. Dalton executed Jay's offense almost as if it were a 1 progression passing game. From my observations Dalton threw to 1st read more often then Griffin. And not only did he throw to the 1st progression he threw the ball quickly/decisively. Which is evidenced by Dalton's extradordinarily fast time from "snap to throw" (2.24s) is second only to Peyton Manning. This suggest to me that Dalton was well prepared in the pre-snap phase and trusted Jay's instruction/teaching/playcalling.

Looking at our personnel and Grudes offense in Cinci there are so many possibilities. But, I think there are few things to be sure of:

o Griffin will have more say in the passing game/offense then ever before

o there will be more quick rhythm passing game that gets the ball out of Griffin's hands quickly

o there will be a healthy dose of 3 WRs 1 TE 1 RB personnel groupings (and that personnel grouping lends itself to spread formations)

o The passing game will throw downfield more

o there wil be some read-option/zone-read

When I look at the traits above, I see many of the elements present in Baylor's offense/passing game.

I hate going back to last year but that is a BIG difference in the last regime. There was a lack of trust in the playcalling stemming back to the Seattle game and there was a lack of faith in the playcalling as evidenced by some of Griffin's comments. 

I don't recall if it was via radio interviews or press but recall getting that RG3 was upset starting with the Dallas game -- some source said that Kyle promised to not use the read option or if so very sparingly after the injury.  They did keep to that word in the Eagles game but not against Dallas or against Seattle.  Seems like RG3 blames the injury partly on Kyle for not changing the game plan and not keeping to his word about playing more of a drop back scheme.  Then later in the off season, RG3 wasn't happy when Shanny in an interview laid the blame of the injury on RG3 and said he should protect himself better.  It turned a relationship that was headed south further south.  The kicker to me is according to Cooley, Shanny never addressed any of these issues man to man with RG3 and instead resorted to leaks to the press.

Now we got RG3 tweeting that Jay has his back.   I think going through the adversity of last season including Shanny mindgames along with dealing with the injury -- will help him this season.  Gruden seems night and day different personality wise.  He seems honest.  And as you pointed out he goes out of his way to ensure the QB is happy and has the right mindset -- to the degree where there is mutual trust.  

And I like RG3 playing games ala the first half against the Giants in 2013 -- where he develops a quick rhythm with short passes -- Dalton style.  It was actually one of Cooley's refrains about the offensive game planning -- he contends that its not just about X's and O's but about having a game plan that builds confidence.  He specifically talked about the short passes -- screens, hitches and also getting the ball in the hands of the play makers early in the game.  Cooley talks a lot about the best offenses know how to find an early rhythm and the confidence grows from it.     

<iframe src="http://player.theplatform.com/p/9KPFDC/redskins/embed/select/Rhxg0NmQ_TAk" width="600" height="338" frameborder="0" seamless="seamless" allowfullscreen>Your browser does not support iframes.</iframe>
http://www.csnwashington.com/redskinsblog/will-offense-change-under-jay-gruden-rgiii-wont-say

Doesn't say much really but he did mention twice that the offense will be efficient.

What recent west coast philosophy offense featured a heavy dose of 3 WRs personnel?

Because that is my guess what the offense will look like; 11 personnel heavy offense that maintains a decent run balance (mix of outside stretch/power)

It's not WCO based, but I think that Denver uses 3 WR sets pretty often. I don't have proof on that, but it just seemed like it from watching a lot of Broncos games. (I love watching Peyton play.  Always have.)  

And while Denver's offense isn't really WCO based, the principles are similar, in tying the footwork to the route combination, quick throws, etc. Verbiage might be very different, but you can translate what they do into your verbiage. 

I would love to see some of the principles that Peyton runs incorporated into this offense. They don't do a ton of things, but what they do, they do really well.  And with the hurry-up, they keep defenses on their heels.  They use hurry up, formations and personnel groups to disguise what they are doing, but they try and simplify the read for the QB so he can get the ball out REALLY fast.  (Because Peyton would lose a footrace to a slug.)

Now, I wouldn't think that Griffin could run any offense in his 3rd year as well as Peyton does, but look at the personnel comparisons:

Jackson - D. Thomas

Garcon - Eric Decker

Roberts - Wes Welker

Morris - Moreno

Reed - J. Thomas

So, Jackson is faster than D. Thomas, and D. Thomas is bigger and more physical.  But the Broncos had 3 legitimate WRs, all caught more than 70 passes. They got 65 catches for ~800 yards from their TE, and just over 1000 yards from their RB. Welker is definitely better at this point than Roberts... 

The 'Skins should have 3 legit WRs, a legit RB, and a legit TE.  In fact, you could definitely argue that the 'Skins running game is far superior to the Broncos, so while the Broncos had the overall edge in WR talent, between the two groups, they could be very equal.

So, I'd LOVE to see Gruden really study what the Broncos do, and incorporate a lot of it into his offense.  And while Griffin is not Manning, and likely never will be from the pocket (and that's not a slight on Griffin, there just aren't a lot of guys who have been or ever will be Peyton from the pocket.  The guy up in NE might have an argument, and that's about it from the current group of QBs) Griffin possesses a weapon that Peyton does not have with his own speed and necessity for defenses account for him as a run threat.

I listed all of the teams and offenses, and just tried to think of what teams had similar weapons, and I couldn't come up with any that had 3 legitimate WR threats, a solid running game, good TE, and a mobile QB. A lot of teams had components:

1. Seattle, great running game, mobile QB, lacking WR depth

2. 49ers, great running game, mobile QB, lacking WR depth

3. Pats, great running game, great TE (when Gronk is healthy), lacking WR and Mobile QB (though Brady makes up for that in spades)

4. New Orleans: Good running game, great TE, good WRs (they seem to have like 13 WRs who catch balls ever week...) Brees has more quicks than people give him credit for, but he's not going to burn you with his legs. 

5. Packers: Good (but not great) running game, 1 good WR, Great QB

6. Lions: 1 phenomenal WR, ok running game, ok QB.(I think that I could be an ok QB throwing to C. Johnson. And my arm resembles a noodle...)

7. Philly: 2 good WRs (last year), amazing RB, Good TE, Foles is not mobile. 

I might have missed a team, but I'm pretty certain that no team has the variety that the 'Skins can have, if put in the correct offense.  

I like Denver's offense best for one to pull from, as they seem to be the closest personnel wise. 

But that's just me...

Of course, this is all predicated on Griffin returning to his 2012 form, and being consistent, especially with his technique, and hitting guys who are open. While Griffin wasn't terrible last year, he did miss more open WRs than an NFL QB should. I'm guessing that was due to poor mechanics, and just being uncomfortable all year.  But there is no reason for him to be uncomfortable this year. And IF he returns to form, the rest of the pieces on offense are there for them to be a matchup problem for any defense. 

What recent west coast philosophy offense featured a heavy dose of 3 WRs personnel?

Because that is my guess what the offense will look like; 11 personnel heavy offense that maintains a decent run balance (mix of outside stretch/power)

Another WCO team that fits the bill..

Yeah, I honestly didn't watch a lot of packer games.  I know they are a WCO team, but I have no idea how often they use 11 personnel.

Rodgers is clearly one of the best current QBs (though I still put him behind Peyton and Tom), and executes it very well.  Hell, Flynn somehow has a knack for that offense also.  

If they run the same personnel group, I would expect that the offense the 'Skins run would be similar.

Something else I've never gone back to look at: Jon Gruden's offense with the Raiders, he had Rice and Brown, and I thought there was a pretty good 3rd WR in there as well, though I can't remember who. I'm pretty sure that Jay will study Jon's offenses as well, since I believe Jay learned something from Jon. Clearly they would add wrinkles, but I'd have to think it would be on the film study.

Archived