Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

One Fans Look to the Future:Robert Griffin

darrelgreenie

I have an unsubstantiated theory, that it is easier to read a defense when they are forced to go into nickel/dime. Or at minimum, it should be easier to make blitz calls, and thus easier to beat a blitz. Any chance I am right? 

A great point that I hope the educated folks talk about more after I spout uneducated ideas.

Could that be chicken/egg though? If I (offense) roll out in 11 personnel, then most teams need to counter with a nickel package. By doing so odds favor that you (defense) is covering WR3 with your slot man, giving predictable behavior to safety coverage. I can also then run more trips/bunch alignments pre-snap, trying to force you to show man/zone as much as possible. Regardless of the personnel on the field, the offense's goal is to get as much information pre-snap about their intentions. Kyle's narrow pistol formations were terrible at this imo.

As for the blitz calls, my hunch is you are exactly right when the offense goes spread, regardless of what personnel the D are in. Get guys out of the box, make them show their hand on inside blitzes, and make wide blitzers take awful angles.

• 1 month later...

Finally! We get to see the kid in Jay's offense.

Get your popcorn ready.

It may have helped alot seeing 2 other QB's do it too. Cousins gets the ball out fast, like RG3 needs to, but sometimes doesn't throw it to the right team and Colt looked good running around even though his passes usually looked like punts.

RG3's athleticism is on display -- check out his read option play from today's practice, he looks fast to me.  you can see it in the media gallery that's linked to extremeskins

Just saw it. Wow! He looks great! And they look like they're having fun. Glad to see that. At the end of the day, it's football and if you can't have fun playing it, shouldn't play. 

Archived