Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

One Fans Look to the Future:Robert Griffin

darrelgreenie

....Pass/Run ratio w/Grudes:

2013-54.96/45.04

2012-55.67/44.33

2011-55.04/45.96

Grudes current pass/run ratio was under the guidance of a NFL head coach that philosophically wants to run the ball. I think its a safe bet that once given the reigns himself a former QB with a pupil like Griffin that he will pass in keeping with his previos ratio or pass more. I can't imagine a scenario where a paradigm shift happens and he becomes Darrell Bevel or the (denver) Mike Shanahan. I am holding out hope though.

http://realredskins.com/2014/07/03/need-to-know-was-jay-gruden-pass-happy-in-cincinnati/

—The Bengals attempted 1,764 passes from 2011-2013. Coincidentally, that is exactly as many passes as the Redskins under Mike and Kyle Shanahan attempted. Gruden’s past and present teams tied for 19th in the NFL in pass attempts. The Lions led the league in pass attempts with 2,128 while the 49ers threw 1,430 times, the fewest in the NFL.

—Peeling back the onion a little more, how often did Gruden call passes on first down? Since all options are open to the play caller, that’s perhaps a better indicator of his run or pass mindset. During his time in Cincinnati only four teams called fewer pass plays on first down than did Gruden. He called 595 first-down passes; only the Chiefs, 49ers, Jets, and Seahawks called fewer. The Patriots called the most with 831.

It seems that Gruden doesn’t particularly like to sit on the ball to protect a lead. The Bengals threw 609 passes while holding a lead (at any point during the game); that ranked seventh in the NFL. And it didn’t particularly matter if Cincinnati had a bigger lead. Gruden called 418 passes when up by seven points or more, eighth-mist in the NFL.

I think DY faces an uphill battle to stay on the team otherwise, if he could help the TE work load it would bode well for him. The Bengals cut a FB in camp to keep another/convert a TE (Orson Charles) whom they use as FB.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2014/2013-rushing-success-number-backs

I think a big question is, can someone like Niles Paul or Paulson approximate what DY did?  Because even though he could be an odd man out with Gruden, we were effective last season with a fullback.

One of the few National Writers I've seen that's not falling for the "RG3 is finished hype" because of a bad season last year.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/130936/inside-slant-crushing-robert-griffin-iii

Surprisingly kind comments section as well. 

It's going to be a massive season for Griffin. He has a lot to prove. His skill set and our all of a sudden quite nasty WR corps gives him everything he needs, so I'm not worried. It's the defense that really deserves our concern.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2014/2013-rushing-success-number-backs

I think a big question is, can someone like Niles Paul or Paulson approximate what DY did?  Because even though he could be an odd man out with Gruden, we were effective last season with a fullback.

No doubt we we're very effective with 2 RBs.

I've seen Paulsen line-up and block from the FB spot before and IIRC Paul played a game at FB when DY was out.

I would like to bring DY back too but I guess it will depend on how much they change the running game and whether those other guys can fill in.

As long as he knows what to do when it comes to various short yardage/goal line situations, running out the clock, and TOP.

I just don' want to be one of those teams that seemingly scoffs at running the ball (not that Jay has shown signs of that).

I was looking for your post when I read this (posted earlier w/ link)

It seems that Gruden doesn’t particularly like to sit on the ball to protect a lead. The Bengals threw 609 passes while holding a lead (at any point during the game); that ranked seventh in the NFL. And it didn’t particularly matter if Cincinnati had a bigger lead. Gruden called 418 passes when up by seven points or more, eighth-mist in the NFL.

WR screens are going to be sick, and who said Paulsen can't catch, lol.

Goodness, Garçon was killing it on the screens. For all the talk about Jackson going on deep routes, I can't wait to see him getting YAC on the short stuff.

Paulsen... it's kind of funny. He is a good backup and I doubt people would have an issue with him if Reed were healthier. But Reed hadn't shown to be durable yet and so people want another weapon at TE (as opposed to an average starter/good backup - Paulsen). Bolser is more like (a project to be) a Paulsen-Lite and Niles is, well... Niles.

http://www.csnwashington.com/redskinsblog/30-questions-will-redskins-abandon-run

Jay Gruden has all of the tools he needs to have a top-notch passing attack. Pierre Garçon led the league in receptions last year,

DeSean Jackson is a three-time Pro Bowler, Jordan Reed has big time potential as a pass-catching tight end and Robert Griffin III is

not  only healthy but he had an offseason to prepare, as well. But we all know that you need to be able to run the ball to win in the

NFC East. Will Gruden be able to resist the temptation to get pass happy? The NFL average last year was 27 rushing attempts per

team per game. Will the Redskins go over or under that number this year?

Jordan Reed is going to be a monster.

Yes, he will.  This well-written article posted today explains in detail how Reed can help open up things for Griffin and the offense this season.  It's a must read.

Griffin will flourish this year if Reed stays healthy.  What is a safety supposed to do when he sees DeSean Jackson running a go-route on the sideline and Reed getting behind a linebacker on a seam route up the middle?  The answer is: Pray that RGIII is inaccurate on his pass.

4-verticals-1b.png

www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gARRX67GUc

This appeared in another thread...bright days ahead gents...

Man, I'm trying to tell people, while RG3 might have had a "bad season", he did have some very good moments last year. The reason his season was so "bad" was because the whole TEAM! was bad last year.

Shoot, the special teams alone caused us some games we should have won. People like to ignore that. If you're special teams suck that bad, it can ruin your team. Go ask the Chargers. They had the number one offense and defense one year and did they lost about 8 games because their Special Teams kept messing up. 

Griffin graded out as the best QB in terms of accuracy under pressure (his 2012 season) out of all QB's seasons from 2007-2013:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/07/16/pof-passing-under-pressure/

He also had the 10th best overall grade under pressure.

Oh, how quickly they forget......

I'm trying to temper me optimism. But I think he's gonna light it up this year.

Here's smore about how the passing game could look:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/wp/2014/07/16/how-jay-gruden-might-deploy-desean-jackson-pierre-garcon-and-andre-roberts/

I would love for our base personnel to be:

3 WR

1 TE

1 RB

From Spread Shotgun (would prefer Pistol)

Morris would have a field day rushing against a 6-7 man box

I think better protection for RG3 will be huge this season. Is anyone else terrified that Chris Chester may be our starting right guard?! I am rooting for Spencer Long bigtime to step up and take that spot. I dont know what to think of LeRibous at this point. A lot of the pressure on RG3 came straight up the gut and on the right side last year. i can deal with Polumbus for another year, but NO WAY can i stomach watching Chester get beat like a drum all year and watch RG3 scramble for his life.

Oh, how quickly they forget......

I'm trying to temper me optimism. But I think he's gonna light it up this year.

Here's smore about how the passing game could look:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/wp/2014/07/16/how-jay-gruden-might-deploy-desean-jackson-pierre-garcon-and-andre-roberts/

I would love for our base personnel to be:

3 WR

1 TE

1 RB

From Spread Shotgun (would prefer Pistol)

Morris would have a field day rushing against a 6-7 man box

Ditto. I will say I like the 2TE/2WR look too. Paulsen inline and motion Reed out (or from outside to inline), see how the D reacts and audible accordingly. Sort of the reverse of Roberts (show a run look and pass vs showing a pass look and then running). Throwing Helu in would mess with the D too, IMO.

Ditto. I will say I like the 2TE/2WR look too. Paulsen inline and motion Reed out (or from outside to inline), see how the D reacts and audible accordingly. Sort of the reverse of Roberts (show a run look and pass vs showing a pass look and then running). Throwing Helu in would mess with the D too, IMO.

You know me I could go on and on about this stuff. But its cool to finally have soo many options at the skill positions. I guess most of the time I would prefer to scheme for Roberts then Paulsen (and I like Logan). But looking back to Cinci, Grudes did like to run on first down and he would regularly go 2-3 TEs on those occasions.

Snap, dg, I noticed your avatar of Malkina from the Counselor.  Nice choice, man.   What made you decide to select that? I'm having some thoughts about predators and the like but maybe it's something else.

Recently watched the Counselor and have become a bit infatuated with Malkina.

She's the ultimate apex predator, best movie villian in awhile.

Recently watched the Counselor and have become a bit infatuated with Malkina.

She's the ultimate apex predator, best movie villian in awhile.

I haven't seen Cameron Diaz be so scorching hot in deportment and appearance in a very long time.  Very easy to see why you'd feel that way (and I enjoyed the movie, Cormac McCarthy wrote a novel to be played out on screen so I can understand it'd be hard to relate to in a traditional way for some people.)

You know me I could go on and on about this stuff. But its cool to finally have soo many options at the skill positions. I guess most of the time I would prefer to scheme for Roberts then Paulsen (and I like Logan). But looking back to Cinci, Grudes did like to run on first down and he would regularly go 2-3 TEs on those occasions.

Oh I like the spread look more, just see some good possibilities in the 2TE/2WR as well. Not thrilled about a (potential/previous) tendency to run on first out of the latter look though.

Archived