Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

One Fans Look to the Future:Robert Griffin

darrelgreenie

I was reading one of the recent Jay Gruden interviews. His answers are a little to blunt in my opinion. He will definitely have more mics stuck in his face than any of our recent coaches.

Yeah, he's not going to coach speak you to death. My only hope is that he knows when and where to be honest, and play his cards close to the vest

Can't wait to see Griffin's progression, and what this offense is going to look like

Yeah, he's not going to coach speak you to death. My only hope is that he knows when and where to be honest, and play his cards close to the vest

Can't wait to see Griffin's progression, and what this offense is going to look like

Me too on Griffin.  Am surprised at the degree of pessimism on RG3 from some on the board and the local media -- personally I am all in, and I expect a big year from him. 

Blocking on runs and pass protection

Based on what McVay and Grudes have said the run game this year is gonna remain intact for the most part. Still outside zone w/ a mix on inside zone, traps and some gap(power) stuff.

Pass pro scheme is largely talent dependent.

I was thinking of passing game questions that can only be seen on all-22.

Gonna do a break-down of the Bengals offense watching all-22.

What information do people want to know that could carry-over from the Bengals offense?

#1. What does their 3rd down offense look like?  Broken down: 3rd and long, 3rd and medium, and 3rd and short.

#2. Sub patterns and route running by the WRs.  Do guys come in and do the same 2/3 things (patterns, block only, etc.) everytime or do they mix it up?

#3. Do they go away from the run when it is working? Do they run to "kill clock" with the lead?

#4. Does Dalton leave a lot of plays on the field?  Could RGIII's skillset take this offense to a higher level?

Please and thank you...

1. Gruden's preference for slants, posts and crosses vs. throwing outside the numbers (i.e. hitch routes, deep outs, corner routes, fades).

2. Tempo of the offense.

3. Aggressiveness (run vs. pass) on 2nd and short situations.  Aggressiveness on 3rd and 2 or 3rd and 1 situations.

4. Timing routes with receivers.  How often did Dalton throw a WR or TE open? 

5. How effective were the formations that used 2 TEs?

Based on what McVay and Grudes have said the run game this year is gonna remain intact for the most part. Still outside zone w/ a mix on inside zone, traps and some gap(power) stuff.

I was thinking of passing game questions that can only be seen on all-22.

Protections, route trees that we may use.  I've heard that Dalton doesn't do alot of progressions, so that will be interesting to see if you see that, which is something Griffin gets villified for.  And you did say offense and not just passing. ;)  But sure, I read in here that the running game wouldn't change alot.

i have taken a slightly different message from what I have read and heard said about the development of the running game. For sure we will use some of the ZBS concepts we saw under Shanny but its going to develop with power/gap stuff as well. You said all that above - what I question is "stay intact" for the most part. The sense I have got is that there will be as much power/gap as ZBS and as much inside zone as outside.

All remains to be seen of course and conjecture in taking 2 and 2 and trying to make 5 - but I think there will be more change in the running game than you are suggesting above.

The biggest change of all might well be a drop in the number of runs of whatever type!

i have taken a slightly different message from what I have read and heard said about the development of the running game. For sure we will use some of the ZBS concepts we saw under Shanny but its going to develop with power/gap stuff as well. You said all that above - what I question is "stay intact" for the most part. The sense I have got is that there will be as much power/gap as ZBS and as much inside zone as outside.

All remains to be seen of course and conjecture in taking 2 and 2 and trying to make 5 - but I think there will be more change in the running game than you are suggesting above.

The biggest change of all might well be a drop in the number of runs of whatever type!

You're right we won't know until they play the games.

But, based on what they've said and the current build of our OL and their scheme in Cinci. I can't imagine there would be that much power/gap.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/60561/sean-mcvay-run-game-will-be-similar

“I don’t think it will change a lot,” new Redskins offensive coordinator Sean McVay said. “The foundation and base principles will remain the same. Jay does a great job of adjusting to his players. He doesn’t make the player adjust to his scheme.”

“[Alfred Morris]He’ll be the same guy,” McVay said. “The run game will be very similar.”

Protections, route trees that we may use.  I've heard that Dalton doesn't do alot of progressions, so that will be interesting to see if you see that, which is something Griffin gets villified for.  And you did say offense and not just passing. ;)  But sure, I read in here that the running game wouldn't change alot.

What specifically do you mean by protections?

Dalton isn't much further along (if it all)then Griffin going through progressions. It one of the first things that jumped out to me. Dalton/offense often throw to the 1st read.

I did say offense that is why I clarified in my response to your post. And to be even more clear I'm curious about things that haven't been covered already in this thread that can only be seen from all-22.

#1. What does their 3rd down offense look like?  Broken down: 3rd and long, 3rd and medium, and 3rd and short.

#2. Sub patterns and route running by the WRs.  Do guys come in and do the same 2/3 things (patterns, block only, etc.) everytime or do they mix it up?

#3. Do they go away from the run when it is working? Do they run to "kill clock" with the lead?

#4. Does Dalton leave a lot of plays on the field?  Could RGIII's skillset take this offense to a higher level?

Please and thank you...

I think I can answer that last question right now. Griffin's skillset imo could no doubt make that Bengals offense better. Griffin is a better decesion maker, a better playmaker, has more arm talent to make all the throws especially the deep ball and intermediate passing i.e. sideline out.

Grudes does have a tendency to get away from the run. But there will always be that trade off when it comes to creative passing offenses.

I will keep questions 1 and 2 in mind for sure.

1. Gruden's preference for slants, posts and crosses vs. throwing outside the numbers (i.e. hitch routes, deep outs, corner routes, fades).

2. Tempo of the offense.

3. Aggressiveness (run vs. pass) on 2nd and short situations.  Aggressiveness on 3rd and 2 or 3rd and 1 situations.

4. Timing routes with receivers.  How often did Dalton throw a WR or TE open? 

5. How effective were the formations that used 2 TEs?

Thanks, will keep these in mind.

Won't be able to tell you about 2nd and short at least right away.

I'll probably start with 1st down & 3rd down offense.

This article helps illustrate what frustrated me most about Griffin last year.  He often had trouble taking what the defense was giving him, and instead, tried to force it to his first read when another receiver was wide open by NFL standards.  The article explains how this is developed by understanding the interrelatedness between what a defense shows pre and post snap, and the receiving options that should be open as a result.  This is something I think the Shanahans spent very little time working with him on, and it's something I hope Gruden focuses on this off-season: really understanding how to anticipate a receiver coming open based on the looks the defense gives you.

DG I think its very obvious why RGIII has not progress and may I also say regressed.  When you spend 8 months doing nothing but rehap on a knee that has had two major operations you can't progress.  This is why I have been critical of RGIII and especially Mike this year because I feel this kid should not have started the first 4 games at least.  It is not fair the firestorm he had to endure, even though one can say with his all in for day one he brought a lot of it on himself.

I don't know who we have on staff to work with RGIII in the offseason and get him on the right track again.  I know if I was Snyder one of the major questions I would as interviewing new coaches would be just that.  Who do you have in mind (if not you) to work with RGIII and tap his raw potential.

It wasn’t shanny that wanted him to start, that was RG that pushed the media he was going to be ready from day one.  I hope RG learned his lesson that sometimes patience is a virtue. 

It wasn’t shanny that wanted him to start, that was RG that pushed the media he was going to be ready from day one. I hope RG learned his lesson that sometimes patience is a virtue.

Sorry but I expect the team leader to think he gives the team the best chance to win. I'd rather him push and not be ready than be a pansy riding an exercise bike on the sideline until week 10. That confidence he has in himself will pay dividends going forward like it did in 2012. The city of DC and the redskins fanbase anointed him the savior of the city, he is just trying to rise to the expectations and personally I can't fault him for wanting to play week 1.

It wasn’t shanny that wanted him to start, that was RG that pushed the media he was going to be ready from day one. I hope RG learned his lesson that sometimes patience is a virtue.

Shanahan never once implied anything other than, once medically cleared, Griffin would play. Shanahan is the coach of the team, the final authority and after the way the Seattle game was handled, there was no way he would let himself be forced into starting Griffin before Shanahan thought he was ready especially just because Griffin "pushed for it" lol that's a good one.

I guess Griffin also pushed for his teammates to constantly provide the glowing reviews all offseason saying things like "it doesn't look like he even had surgery" or "he looks the same" etc.

Yeah that's probably it, it was Griffin's fault. Dang that #2 pick, RoY, leader/captain of the team wanting to start.

I still don't see what four extra weeks of not playing would have done. He still would have been rusty

I think he was as physically ready to play in week 1 as he was in week 8 or 15 for that matter. But mentally in terms of confidence in both his knee and his form and timing with his receivers - that's another matter.

I think he was as physically ready to play in week 1 as he was in week 8 or 15 for that matter. But mentally in terms of confidence in both his knee and his form and timing with his receivers - that's another matter.

I agree with this. But would like to add that his oline and receivers(outside of 88) didn't inspire much confidence either. I'm sure knowing there would always be a free rusher coming at him didn't help at all. Nor the fact that even if he did throw it to anyone other than Garcon or Reed it was likely to be dropped to a lesser extent. There were many contributing factors to last year. Hopefully RGIII is 100% this year not just physically but mentally as well.

Week 1 Bengals vs Bears 1st Half: First Down Offense

^^from the all-22

1st down playcalling breakdown: 8 Runs/ 8 passes

The running game was mostly zone. All the 1st down runs were from under center.

A brief synopsis of the runs follow. Double teams are noted when they occured.

Run 1: 12 (P)ersonnel I-form-- FB(TE) motion to TE to make ACE formation- Outside zone Left

TE and LT double team TE peels off to the OLB

RG and RT double team RG works up to the ILB

Run 2: 13 P ACE--WR right--Inisde zone Left

RG and RT double RG works up to ILB

Run 3: 12 P--I-form (TE at FB) Twin WR left--QB pump fake Lead Draw off-center right-

Run 4: [Redzone] 13 P I-form (TE at FB) WR left-Off tackle right

FB lead--C and RG block down LG pulls to lead

Run 5: 11 P--ACE--Twin WRs Left--TE right w/ FL stacked inside zone right--QB reverse pivot RB counter steps

Run 6: 12 P--ACE-- Double TE stack Right--Inside zone middle/right

LG and C double team C works to ILB

RG and RT double team RT works to ILB

Run 7: 12 P--ACE-- Double TE stack Right--Inside zone middle/left--QB reverse pivot RB counter steps

RG and RT double RG works up to ILB

Run 8: 12 p--ACE--Outside zone Right-

Their run scheme isn't that much different from our scheme.

One major difference is they don't use their FB to block often. When they cam out in I-form all but once they motioned the 'FB' (a TE) to a traditional TE position next to the OT.

It will be interesting to see what they do with Daryl Young. If they keep him it would suggest that we are keeping more of our base running game and blocking scheme. If they release him it could be sign that we are using more of Grudes blocking scheme and therefore don't require a dedicated FB.

Back to the OL there were some runs where everyone moves as in zone every take a hard angled initial step but there are no double teams. Everyone steps zone and picks whomever enters their path.

IIRC this is different from our scheme in that most of our runs have doubles at the POA that work there way to the second level on a peel off block.

anywho.....

1st half passing game is coming next, with sloppy handwriting/drawing.

Archived