Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mike Shanahan Press Conference: "I haven't made a decision on the starting QB **UPDATE** per John Keim: Cousins will start

Boss_Hogg

I hate the idea of benching RG3 to save him from injury because as some of the other posters said if that is the case then change the play calling to help the O-Line regardless of what the score is.

However, I would be excited to see what Cousins can do.  Maybe we can get his trade value up more in next 3 games so we can ship him off in a trade.

Either way, I am actually blaming Shanahan on all of the mess that we are in.  Shanahan markets himself as being the "adult" in the room and yet I think Shanahan is acting most "childish" in the current situation between him, Snyder, and RG3.

I have jumped off the ship finally this week.  We need a new coaching staff next year.

Nine guarantees.

1)Our O line will suddenly learn to block

2)Our receivers will suddenly learn how to hold on to a ball that hit hem on the hands

3)Our defense and special teams will suddenly do their jobs

4)Our half time adjustments will make us better and not worse

5)The media narrative will suddenly change

6)We will win 2/3 of the remaining games or better and have a massive QB controversy in the offseason

7)Robert will be traded for peanuts, called a bust and go on to have success in another division in future seasons.

8)Kirk will look great and the fans will calm down

9)At the end everyone will be happy and everyone wins

I can see it coming from 20 miles away. The oracle has spoken.

Well, teams which are locks for their divisions and home field advantage sit their starters, so in a way its the same thing; why risk

getting the QB hurt in a meaningless game?

So we can expect RG3 to play 12-13 games a year, until they're eliminated. 

Griffin isn't learning anything out there right now - he's getting beat up and taking shots for no reason.  He's not going to improve the last 3 weeks and it's going to come in the offseason when he can work on the basics which is what he is missing.  Keeping him in is just going to get him killed - especially facing a team in a dome, a division rival that will have playoff hopes on the line and one division rival that just hit him over and over again in the second half.

Why keep him in?  If he gets hurt, all you are going to hear is that Shanahan only wanted to win games to stay around and didn't care what happened to Griffin.  It's a lose-lose for Shanny in the eyes of most but I think it's a smart decision. 

So what's the criteria for him to be allowed to play?  There can't be a threat he'll take a hit and they have to be in playoff contention?

And what does being in a dome have to do with whether he gets killed?

How does that look to the rest of the team? RG3 is above playing in meaningless games because he might get hurt but the rest of the players aren't and can risk their season and careers?

For someone so concerned about Griffin receiving preferential treatment, Shanahan doesn't seem to mind perpetuating that notion.

I don't see how anybody could think this is in the best interest of the team. [/quote

Well, whether you like it or not, all franchise Qbs in this league ARE above everyone else.

Ok, now many of you are just losing your freaking minds...

You know, it's possible for Shanny to be a bad coach/team builder without being a villainous, manipulative, Heisenberg type.  Some of you guys are painting it like he's cackling among thunder and lighting "BAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA".

No.  He just failed at building a good football team.  He's right, Robert is getting destroyed, and he's finally admitting it.  You all have been complaining about it for weeks, now he addresses it, and it's supposed to be some "chess move" or something???  what?

And as for his press conferences:  "wahhh, why won't he answer our questions, it's just things fans want to know!!".  Too bad.  OF COURSE he's not going to answer these incredibly loaded questions, it's not unusual at all for him not to.

The ONLY 'conspiracy' I'll get on board with is the difference between quitting and getting fired being 7 million dollars.  That's a lot of money.  But he said it himself, he'll meet with Dan after the season, maybe they can work something out that's fair to him or whatever.  With the result being him leaving, of course.  

But in the meantime, folks, this is all very entertaining, but the truth is probably far more boring.  This is not ACTUALLY a soap opera., as much as it looks like one.  "I've never seen a coach trying to be so destructive", what does that even mean?  He's not saying ANYTHING, except "I might not play Robert for 3 more games, because he's getting his ass kicked".  

I said in another thread, I don't care about Shannahan or his motives anymore...I just want a new staff...but I will defend him when I see all this 'sheeple' mediot nonsense shot at him so badly that people are actually hoping he doesn't get in the Hall of Fame over it.  THAT'S ridiculous.  Just let him move on without trying to destroy his character for cryin out loud...

Plain and simple:  stop reading so much into things.  Again, the truth is far more boring.

Nine guarantees.

1)Our O line will suddenly learn to block

2)Our receivers will suddenly learn how to hold on to a ball that hit hem on the hands

3)Our defense and special teams will suddenly do their jobs

4)Our half time adjustments will make us better and not worse

5)The media narrative will suddenly change

6)We will win 2/3 of the remaining games or better and have a massive QB controversy in the offseason

7)Robert will be traded for peanuts, called a bust and go on to have success in another division in future seasons.

8)Kirk will look great and the fans will calm down

9)At the end everyone will be happy and everyone wins

I can see it coming from 20 miles away. The oracle has spoken.

I wouldn't be shocked, but guarantee is a strong word.

So, if Green Bay is out of the playoffs, do they decide to not let aaron Rodgers play the rest of the season? Do the Giants shelve Eli Manning? Do the Steelers take out Big Ben? Do the falcons not play Matt Ryan?

No offense guys but the idea of "resting your QB so he doesn't get hurt and is ready for next season" isn't actually a thing teams do and it makes no sense. What can RGIII learn in 3 more games? IDK, how about beating a rival at the end of a season when the team's playoffs hopes are dead? or that its still important to keep your players motivated as a team leader, to play even when the seasons over, and thus help keep guys interested in staying and not bolting to a better or newer team next year?

It baffles me that suddenly it makes sense to bench your star player just because the playoffs are out of sight. Every game can teach someone something new.

Actually yes, the talk was that if Green Bay lost yesterday that Rodgers would probably be shut down for the year as opposes to reactivated.

Outside of that, as stated to another poster, it's an idiotic comparison....those players you listed aren't second year players less than a year removed from a major injury and surgery, whose never has a true normal NFL offseason to grow and progress as a player. It's not comparable.

It's perfectly reasonable to be upset or angry about the potential benching...fully get that. But it can be argued against without nonsensical arguments like this

Excuse me? I don't try to speak for you.

That's correct you don't....you also aren't the entirety to the HTTR-24/7 crew. That part of my statement was in reference to things like KCs latest post scorching Shanahan and playing the role of Baghdad Bob for Snyder while claiming this and that needs be apologized for to "the fans". In this thread, the thing specifically I was replying to was boss hog posting this tweet

HTTR24-7.com ‏@HTTR24_7 2m

Fans should be pissed..Reporters ask questions that the FANS want answers too. Mike Shanahan refuses to answer what you want answers too

Why could RGIII play safely in the snow once the team was eliminated from the playoffs mathematically, but he might need rest against the 3-10 Falcons and two defenses getting shredded the last six weeks? Because Mike wants to create a QB controversy if the team goes 2-1 in those games, which as bad as the team has looked is still a real possibility. Hot garbage.

Why could RGIII play safely in the snow once the team was eliminated from the playoffs mathematically, but he might need rest against the 3-10 Falcons and two defenses getting shredded the last six weeks? Because Mike wants to create a QB controversy if the team goes 2-1 in those games, which as bad as the team has looked is still a real possibility. Hot garbage.

Finally someone else gets it.

I'm tired of RG3 running his mouth in press conferences and never taking accountability for poor play. The line is horrible but quit being passive aggressive and admit you're not playing to the level you should be. 

Kirk could use the reps, I would be happy to watch the final three games with him back there and RG3 holding a clipboard learning what pocket passing should be. 

I'm tired of RG3 running his mouth in press conferences and never taking accountability for poor play. The line is horrible but quit being passive aggressive and admit you're not playing to the level you should be.

Kirk could use the reps, I would be happy to watch the final three games with him back there and RG3 holding a clipboard learning what pocket passing should be.

Kyle? Is that you?

Don't see anything wring with benching RG3 at this point. The season is lost. Make RG3 inactive, even. Kirk Cousins was acquired to recoup draft picks. We shouldve traded him last off-season when his value was highest. Holding onto him through this offseason's draft did no good because it allowed a fresh crop of quarterbacks to saturate the market. Holding him throughout this off-season does us no good because it allows the market to be saturated even further. I think its a savvy business decision to showcase kirk, hope he balls out like mccown has and dangle him to some qb starved franchise. The only drawback is he may play well enough for pundits to say he should be our starter and we will have a full blown qb controversy on our hands if we kept him.

His press conference on Sunday he flat out said he didn't play well, what else do you want?

Would really wish the HTTR crew would stop trying to proclaim/act that they speak for "The fans" and lecturing us about what we should or shouldn't think or believe.

I think this whole situation sucks and it's so sad how far things have turned for the worst since last year, but I'm not so easily influenced to believe Shanahan is some criminal who just wants to ruin the organization. And it's not really all of them, mainly LavarLeap. 

I'm a big fan LL, but right now you're turning me off big time. I'm starting to think your source/s comes from the Snyder camp.  :)

I think Shanahan is doing all of this because there was a legitimate undermining of his authority by RG3 and Snyder. Not because he just wants to destroy the organization on the way out, but because he felt Snyder went back on his word of staying out of things. I think we all are ignoring how many things that came out of the RG3 camp this year that made us all wonder what the heck was going on. That HAD to be it right there.

I'm not gonna ignore that now because we're all pissed at Shanny and for how the season went. Just 4 months ago we were all praising the direction of this team. I refuse to just believe all of that was a mistake and no one had any idea what they were talking about.

That is not to say Shanny isn't being completely unprofessional here. He is. But I'm not so narrow minded as to believe it wasn't spurred by something horribly wrong behind the scenes and not just the stupid "it's his ego" argument. 

Archived