Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mike Shanahan Press Conference: "I haven't made a decision on the starting QB **UPDATE** per John Keim: Cousins will start

Boss_Hogg

You don't get it. You can't compare him not playing young players at struggling positions with benching your franchise QB under the guise of protecting his health. It doesn't work like that.

Also, we are fans, he is a highly paid leader of men. There is a difference in us saying something and him announcing it to the team

Why can't he? Fact is the QB is the most important player on the field and always gets too much praise for the wins and takes all the blame for the loss. Sitting another position player is nothing like sitting the starting QB. When Morgan was surpassed by Hankerson this year hardly anyone noticed. When Fred Davis was phased out for Reed and Paulson hardly anyone noticed either. Point is that other position players are often sat for other players as the year goes on, sitting a QB down for the season is a much bigger deal

He will start Cousins against the worst pass defense in the league. Cousins will light it up. His supporters will thump their chests saying, see, I was right, he is better than RG3.

Shanny leaves, QB controversy ensues. Shanny smiles from his couch this off season.

You left off...

Redskins trade Cousins for a draft pick.

Redskins fans are happy and don't care what Shanahan thinks

Even in our wildest dreams getting back another draft pick for a luxury player is a strategically good move to make.

I just listened to the whole presser... I didin't hear him say anything remotely close to that about "no one would care if he gets injured".  Can you tell me what minute that was said to save me having to listen for another 25 min.  Perhaps this is how rumors get started.....

It was more said in jest, amigo.  I don't think any coach would say such thing.

My honest impression: the team has closed ranks. The players have endorsed the coach, and the coach has endorsed his team. After a loss like that and all the rumors, we get a message of solidarity. Still no quotes or reports from anybody not named anonymous. Call me a foolish optimist, but I am heartened to see them stand together. They have responded with a united front.

If we somehow weather this storm as a team, it might not be as bad as it looks. There is no substitute for character and unity on a team, if we have that we have hope

OR Maybe it is just smokescreen. Maybe Shanny is playing us. Maybe he has some master plan and this is just for show. My opinion, that would be so much worse.

Still, it is hard to dismiss that report from yesterday. Who is the source? For all I know Graz made the whole thing up to get hits on his blog. Everybody loves rubbernecking.

Im sorry.... Looks like I am the odd one out here, but..... The o-line is not blocking anyone.  Or maybe I should rephrase and say that " Polumbus cant block ANYONE".  And that I agree with Mike.  If we cant stop the sacks, I definitely dont feel that the risk of RG3 playing the last three games for experience, out ways the possibility of an injury, and another whole off season of not getting valuable reps.  This year is over.  Get our franchise player ready for next year.  Hopefully Kirk plays well and we get a draft pick for him. 

With the way the team is playing right now, throwing Cousins in with three games left isn't gonna magically make our offense good. If anything its gonna hurt whatever trade value we have with Cousins, as little as it is right now.

Griffin needs a complete season under his belt if he is our franchise QB of the future, all game play experience will help him next off-season work on areas of his game he needs improvement on. Sitting Griffin when he is healthy adds even more unnecessary drama heading into next season.

We also need a major overhaul of our )-line next year, getting atleast three new starters out there especially on the right side of the line, RG3 has not time in the pocket. 

I cannot wait until Shanahan and Co. are out of here, whether now or in January.

I don't know if there are ulterior motives in wanting to sit Griffin and  I don't really care. Shutting him down for the rest of the season might be a good idea. It's clear that he needs to be torn down and built back up at this point from a footwork/mechanics/confidence/health standpoint and there's no time to do any of that during the season. He's not getting any better or more consistent and I would gladly trade these last three games for a guarantee that he will be healthy going into the offseason.

It would be a really awkward position for Robert and it certainly won't sit well with him. If this staff was going to be here next year, you'd worry about this further fracturing the relationship. And you'd worry about it undermining his position as a leader if this team wasn't going to be blown up next year. But who cares about this staff's relationship with Robert anymore and who cares how this roster of soon-to-be ex-Redskins perceive him?

Personally, i think that if Shanahan wanted to **** this organization to the fullest, he'd play RG3 the next 3 games.  Let's face it, if Griffin sustained another terrible injury, this fan base would lose it's mind.

Of course, he could be flipping Snyder the finger, daring him to intervene on Griffin's behalf.

RG3 should be relieved to sit, this offensive line was destined to cripple him or turn him into Patric Ramsey.

All I know is, my bye will be for nothing in one of my dynasty leagues if RG3 is benched. I'll have to pick up Henne or Clemons.

I have RG3 on a 2nd place fantasy squad. I'm putting in a claim on Cousins as priority one. Flacco, Palmer, and Campbell are also available in my league if I don't get Cousins.

Who the hell knows anymore. If he benches him, there will be an outcry about how he is just giving rg3 and Snyder the bird on the way out. If he plays and gets more reps even better and that is cool he NEEDS the reps. If shanny plays him and RG3 gets hurt, can anyone imagine the !@@ storm that follows?

I have RG3 on a 2nd place fantasy squad. I'm putting in a claim on Cousins as priority one. Flacco, Palmer, and Campbell are also available in my league if I don't get Cousins.

Wish those guys were available in my league. This is a Superflex (can start 2QB) dynasty league, so really only the bottom-tier, old fantasy starters with no future upside are on the wire.

I guess Shanny doesn't agree with me, but I thought Paul fought hard out there yesterday. He was one of the few to show up. I think that may have been his best game this season. Oh well, what do I know?

Paul is definitely one of the blue collar guys on the team that gets by on hard work.

And clearly, our special teams ace. Or at least the closest thing to it. Maybe just because he is our gunner so he gets his shots in.

I wouldn't read too much into anything Mike says now. He is sour grapes a grumpy old coach who appears slow to recognize the passing game driving the NFL, but still builds his line to run block. The modern era players may be too much for him.

As usual, I'ts everyone else's fault but his, including Niles F'in Paul, who is the least of his problems about now. His thinly veiled efforts at pinning blame on Synder is fooling no one that has been paying attention, so he will be quick to strike now.

I hope the media keeps hammering him and his feeble Atlanta diversion attempts.

Long term, benching is good for RGIII. He's trying to hard and just developing bad habits. He can't improve this way.  The oline, the coaching, and a number of other factors including RGIII's own brain are in the way.

Short term though, it feels like it's being done as an FU.

I don't understand the thoughtless logic some of you are using.

Griffin plays and gets hurt, possibly seriously against Atlanta, and every single one of you would be ripping Mike a new one about starting him. Its amazing how narrow-minded some of you are; this just might not be a F-U Snyder move, it may very well be to protect Griffin from possible injury! But being the witch hunt is on, no point in talking to walls.

Just as kleese ridiculed me on the very subject of sitting Griffin the rest of the year to 'prevent any possible injury and have him ready for next season', and his sarcastic remark towards me [ unjustified at that ] being it is a discussion forum. There's just no way for Mike to try and do the right thing is there. Its all about Griffin, screw everyone else.

geez

You will need to pull that quote; I don't recall it. I do remember debating with people that there is never a good reason to sit a healthy player, but I do not remember "ridiculing" you or anyone else.

Im sorry.... Looks like I am the odd one out here, but..... The o-line is not blocking anyone.  Or maybe I should rephrase and say that " Polumbus cant block ANYONE".  And that I agree with Mike.  If we cant stop the sacks, I definitely dont feel that the risk of RG3 playing the last three games for experience, out ways the possibility of an injury, and another whole off season of not getting valuable reps.  This year is over.  Get our franchise player ready for next year.  Hopefully Kirk plays well and we get a draft pick for him. 

Sure thing, but maybe don't listen too hard to Mike anymore. Mostly its all self serving statements.

Instead of addressing the pathetic OL, trying new bodies, upgrading Forester sp, forcing Kyle to call plays more conducive to creating a pocket, quicker passes,  how about taking blame for a horribly failed vision of how to build an OL in the year 2013?

This is his line so his solution is to yank the QB? I don't buy it no matter how much he pretends to care about Robert.  Saying the backups are no better seems wrong in just seeing Gettis for one quarter. Gettis did just fine. Tiny sample size, but Mike is wrong so far.

Young QBs always take hits. We all know this. Its normal. Its no excuse to yank a healthy QB when there are bigger problems literally right in front of his face. If he wants to see Cousins, just say it.

Pretty much the opposite of what he is saying is more likely the truth lately.

This is getting way more embarrassing than I ever thought possible. Just fork over the money and give him his walking papers, save some face Snyder. RGIII doesn't deserved to be used in this stupid battle between these two, just end the marriage and move on civilly.

I love how everyone is so quick to blame Mike Shanahan for all of this drama. Everyone is ready to take the side of an owner with a reputation for screwing the organization up and a second year player that has regressed in the second year. Mike Shanahan has won 2 Superbowls period.  He knows how to win. What this organization needs to do is take a breath and relax. The Skins have an offensive line that is set up a certain way and a runninback that is perfect for his system. Way too much rebuilding if they change coaches. Sets the franchise back five years.

If he's worried about sacks bench Chris Chester.

I love how everyone is so quick to blame Mike Shanahan for all of this drama. Everyone is ready to take the side of an owner with a reputation for screwing the organization up and a second year player that has regressed in the second year. Mike Shanahan has won 2 Superbowls period.  He knows how to win. What this organization needs to do is take a breath and relax. The Skins have an offensive line that is set up a certain way and a runninback that is perfect for his system. Way too much rebuilding if they change coaches. Sets the franchise back five years.

lol, I had to report your post due to absurdity

You don't get it. You can't compare him not playing young players at struggling positions with benching your franchise QB under the guise of protecting his health. It doesn't work like that.

Also, we are fans, he is a highly paid leader of men. There is a difference in us saying something and him announcing it to the team

The big theme of that thread as it went on was that if he benched veterans, he would lose the locker room. So him not benching other veterans shouldn't be a surprise if he's afraid of losing the locker room. Still, people here think it's a good point to whine about anyway...

And there is a difference indeed. That doesn't make what both he and the fanbase have said any less true. It has to be done. Is it really worth risking another knee injury just so that you don't hurt the feelings of offensive linemen who can't block worth diddlysquat?

He doesn't have to say it Because you want to take out one player for fear of him getting injured and put in another guy with no fear if he gets hurt in a meaningless game. It says it all right there.

Every year, teams bench their QBs when they're safely in the playoffs to keep their stars healthy. Hell, Baltimore did it last year against Cinci with Tyrod Taylor coming in for Flacco. Did anyone complain about the lack of fear of Tyrod getting injured? Lol no.

I think KC is a big enough man to get what this franchise GAVE UP for this guy and KC like it or not isn't that guy.  I seriously doubt that his feelings are hurt one little bit.  If anything, a real athlete/competitor relishes this kind of opportunity, they are not insulted by it or even hurt by it, but just the opposite.   Players love to prove everybody wrong, and that includes their coaches/ media and fans.  I'm not saying KC will light anything up, but can guarantee he is chomping at the bit to play regardless of the circumstances.  

Exactly. You will never, ever hear a player whine about being given the starting job, no matter what the reason. It's what every player who gives a **** fights for. They don't sign up with teams so they can permanently ride the bench. The NFL isn't kindergarten, and they know it. And most importantly, Kirk knows it. This is his chance to shine, and possibly earn his chance at a starting gig for another team.

I agree I think he will do fine and can handle it but I question the idea of it and the message it sends to the team especially the veterans. You can't treat Griffin with kid gloves and pull him out for the season just because the games are meaningless and he might get hurt. It sets a bad precedent and further pushes the idea that he receives preferential treatment or is bigger than the team.

Morris, Kerrigan, Trent and Garçon are all going to be important to our team next year too. Why are their careers and seasons ok to be risked but Griffin is above that?

I just hate the idea.

Because they aren't less than a year month removed from season ending knee injuries? If their next seasons/careers were at risk, you can bet your bottom dollar that they'd be benched too.

With the way the team is playing right now, throwing Cousins in with three games left isn't gonna magically make our offense good. If anything its gonna hurt whatever trade value we have with Cousins, as little as it is right now.

Griffin needs a complete season under his belt if he is our franchise QB of the future, all game play experience will help him next off-season work on areas of his game he needs improvement on. Sitting Griffin when he is healthy adds even more unnecessary drama heading into next season.

We also need a major overhaul of our )-line next year, getting atleast three new starters out there especially on the right side of the line, RG3 has not time in the pocket. 

I cannot wait until Shanahan and Co. are out of here, whether now or in January.

At the moment, that complete season is currently bundled with the chance to have another knee injury. Getting blasted every damned down isn't experience. It's being a punching bag. Griffin has better things to learn than how to get beaten up because his half-arsed offensive line can't stop a beach ball. Let the man go into the offseason healthy.

Personally, i think that if Shanahan wanted to **** this organization to the fullest, he'd play RG3 the next 3 games.  Let's face it, if Griffin sustained another terrible injury, this fan base would lose it's mind.

Of course, he could be flipping Snyder the finger, daring him to intervene on Griffin's behalf.

RG3 should be relieved to sit, this offensive line was destined to cripple him or turn him into Patric Ramsey.

I don't know the exact reason for the benching, and I don't give a flying monkey **** why. If RG3 gets injured again in a meaningless game, Shanahan would be gunned down by fanatics before he could leave the stadium.

Archived