Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mike Shanahan Press Conference: "I haven't made a decision on the starting QB **UPDATE** per John Keim: Cousins will start

Boss_Hogg

Well, they might happen. But there's a difference between you and me.

If Cousins throws some bad stare down picks, you will be happy, because you can gloat to all of us about how RG3 is fine and we are stupid for wanting Kirk in.

If cousins throws some bad stare down picks, I will be sad. Because stare down picks do not reflect anything about the offensive line, or the receivers, or the game plan. Stare down picks would indicate that we have TWO QBs on the roster who are not going through their reads or making the right plays. That is not a comforting thought to me in the slightest.

I don't hate Cousins.

I just want the myth that he is any better than Griffin (who I've been critical of all season mind you) and will get this team any draft picks to die. It just leads to stupid argument and even stupider posts. He isn't "good" at any one aspect of QB'ing. At best, he's average at everything. Even the insiders said it themselves. 

From all the regular season tape we've seen of Cousins, he's has been mediocre. It took London Fletcher and Rob Jackson making plays against the Browns to help him get into a groove. Before that, he looked very average.

Anyone wanting Cousins to fail is just foolish and spiteful honestly. We need him to play well so we can get a decent pick for him down the line or so he can take over the team for Griffin next year if he doesn't pull it together and get back to form for 2014.

At the end of the day we need to end up with one QB we can win with. I'd like it to be RG3 but if it ends up being Kirk so be it. As long as we have one at the end of this.

If Cousins throws some bad stare down picks, you will be happy, because you can gloat to all of us about how RG3 is fine and we are stupid for wanting Kirk in.

If cousins throws some bad stare down picks, I will be sad. Because stare down picks do not reflect anything about the offensive line, or the receivers, or the game plan. Stare down picks would indicate that we have TWO QBs on the roster who are not going through their reads or making the right plays. That is not a comforting thought to me in the slightest.

It wouldn't mean anything.  All young QBs do it.  Kirk did it multiple times this past Sunday and almost threw ints because of it.  It's part of the process.  It becomes a problem if they are still doing it years from now.

I don't hate Cousins.

I just want the myth that he is any better than Griffin (who I've been critical of all season mind you) and will get this team any draft picks to die. It just leads to stupid argument and even stupider posts. He isn't "good" at any one aspect of QB'ing. At best, he's average at everything. Even the insiders said it themselves. 

From all the regular season tape we've seen of Cousins, he's has been mediocre. It took London Fletcher and Rob Jackson making plays against the Browns to help him get into a groove. Before that, he looked very average.

That makes sense. And I agree with you. I do NOT think Kirk is better that Robert nor do I think we should keep him.

But I do think that Robert is really struggling right now that makes it hard to evaluate certain parts of the team. Maybe Kirk can be better in those areas, and maybe not. But I think it's worth a shot. With Kirk in, you can play around with the OLine to less dire consequences. 

Yes so he can collect a cool $7 million for doing nothing.

Looks like Shanny has become "Fat Al" in respect to "Gettin' Paid". He is the source of the drama lately so just fire his ass and pay him off. He has already ruined what might have passed as a fairly respectable career.

So, if Green Bay is out of the playoffs, do they decide to not let aaron Rodgers play the rest of the season? Do the Giants shelve Eli Manning? Do the Steelers take out Big Ben? Do the falcons not play Matt Ryan?

No offense guys but the idea of "resting your QB so he doesn't get hurt and is ready for next season" isn't actually a thing teams do and it makes no sense. What can RGIII learn in 3 more games? IDK, how about beating a rival at the end of a season when the team's playoffs hopes are dead? or that its still important to keep your players motivated as a team leader, to play even when the seasons over, and thus help keep guys interested in staying and not bolting to a better or newer team next year?

It baffles me that suddenly it makes sense to bench your star player just because the playoffs are out of sight. Every game can teach someone something new.

None of those other QB's are wearing a knee brace, coming off of reconstructive knee surgery. 

From the outside looking in, I would bet that Snyder suggested this to Lobster.  Last year, after the playoff game, most of the good will that had built up during the year of the RG3 dominance was washed away by conflicting reports as to how RG3 was allowed to stay in a game where he was clearly hurt and later injured.

Imagine the talking heads if RG3 was to sustain an injury in these last 3 weeks after all the sacks and hard hits of the previous 5 weeks.  In hindsight, putting RG3 on the bench would have seemed to be the most logical choice in a forgotten season.  RG3 is the future and there is nothing that should put in jeopardy his ability to start in Sept at 100 percent.

Cousins vs Griffin to close out the year.... Mike using them as pawns aside.

What is best for our team one year from now. Lets look past this trainwreck of a season to grade the move.

We play RG3 and he gets 3 more games, experience. But running mostly the options and other plays that are outdated at this point and serve no purpose to enhance his skills.  Cousins trade value sits at a 3rd lets say. 

We play Cousins, he plays well and increases his trade value to X. Say a mid 1st. Yeah  RG3 is ****ing pissed and his Dad is knocking on the door at Ashburn pissed. They let him in. Anyways.

What is best for our organization

RG3 to avoid the controversy and keep him happy? Reaffirm this is his team as a top priority? Keep Cousins next year and hope his value goes up and no controversies arise, and trade him in spring 2015.

Or try to parlay Cousins into a first. Now.  And end the charade of drafting him in the first place, over say.... a RT or OL. And all the controversy that comes with drafting a backup right after getting our big gun.

RG3 may be pissed today but next July he may be thrilled to see Cousins gone. As great as he is or can be I saw him as a potential distraction the moment he was drafted.

My tin foil hat tells me that Mike and Kyle will have a better gameplan for Cousins with better protection packages and multiple receiver routes.

I hope I'm wrong.

well, it's actually possible.  It's unlikely they'll use four man backfields with Cousins in there, so they'll be no trying to fool people with options plays.  That means these guys will be free to be on the line blocking or adding another receiver to the routes.

Several things possibilities pop up after Shanahan's comments today ---

IMO sitting RG III for the rest of the season isn't a bad idea, even if Shanny's motives appear to be selfish.  Let's face it, the team stinks this season.  RG III is the future of this franchise and his long term health is paramount.  Is RG III really going to learn much more this season playing with a bad offensive line and with teammates who have mostly shown just wanting the season to be over?  

Funny to hear Shanahan repeatedly bring up the offensive line's poor performance as the reason to consider sitting RG III.  Did Shanahan forget that he put this offensive line together?  The offensive line has been remarkably healthy this season when compared to other team yet still stinks.  Shanny has mostly refused to try different combinations such as Gettis, Compton and Leribeus.  The fact that Shanahan keeps trotting out an offensive line which even he has lost confidence in says alot and also brings into focus that Josh Leribeus looks to be another busted draft pick.

For Kirk Cousins it would be interesting to see him play for 3 games but not sure what will come out of it.  If he plays well that would increase his trade value which can only help the Skins in the future.  However what if Cousins is dreadful?  That will make his value even less.  And really is it fair to put Cousins in with an offensive line that the coach admits is bad?  Cousins is far less mobile than even a less that 100% RG III.  The entire team is just playing out the string and waiting to see who their next coach is so it's hard to believe Cousins will get their best effort.

Whether people like Cousins or not, it would be hard to use a 3 game stint under the Skins' current situation as any sort of a true barometer in evaluating his ability.  If Cousins is terrible then unreasonable fans will assume he is a bust and it will hurt his trade value.  If Cousins is great then other unreasonable fans will make the ridiculous assumption that he is better than RG III.  

Overall just keep going back to what real value is there in playing RG III anymore this season?  Sure experience for a young QB can be helpful.  But really what is RG III going to learn playing with a terrible team that has given up on the season?  Playing for a coaching staff that will likely be gone after the season.  Playing with many teammates who will gone after the season.

Despite the problems that can arise out of it, IMO sitting RG III for the final 3 games has enough benefits to outweight the negatives.  It would ensure RG III's health heading into a vital offseason.  RG III needs to be ready for training camp and ready to work with a new coaching staff and new players who will be added to the team.

Just imagine the furor if RG III suffers another serious injury in a meaningless game playing for a sitting duck coaching staff.  

Not worth the risk...

Apparently, he's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.

Oh my God, how dare he say something that we've actually been shouting the entire season! :rolleyes:

You don't get it. You can't compare him not playing young players at struggling positions with benching your franchise QB under the guise of protecting his health. It doesn't work like that.

Also, we are fans, he is a highly paid leader of men. There is a difference in us saying something and him announcing it to the team

Haha-how do you think Kirk feels?  Mike, "Umm, RGIII may get hurt so we'll put Kirk in.  No one would care if he gets injured."  Ouch.

I just listened to the whole presser... I didin't hear him say anything remotely close to that about "no one would care if he gets injured".  Can you tell me what minute that was said to save me having to listen for another 25 min.  Perhaps this is how rumors get started.....

Week after week commentators talk about the crushing hits that Robert takes that other QB's don't take.  Whether in the pocket or out.  Robert doesn't know enough about the position to protect himself.  Here's a list of skills he needs to master:

1.  Reset protection to compensate for blitzes

2.  Develop a presnap and post snap ability to diagnose coverages

3.  Get thru his progressions in 3 seconds or less (stop locking in on his primary read)

4.  Climb and slide in the pocket instead of the Michael Jackson moon walk

5.  Be aware of his hot routes (frustrates the crap out of me when I see Helu wide open waiting for the ball)

Those are skills that need to ingrained but it requires an offense to do so.  Because he needs repetition to help him develop the muscle memory and thought patterns to make them good habits.  During game week there's no time for that.  He has the game plan and the opponent's defense to worry about.

Who is in charge of teaching him these skills? So Mike Shanahan is benching him for his safety because he failed to develop these skills properly?

I just listened to the whole presser... I didin't hear him say anything remotely close to that about "no one would care if he gets injured".  Can you tell me what minute that was said to save me having to listen for another 25 min.  Perhaps this is how rumors get started.....

He doesn't have to say it Because you want to take out one player for fear of him getting injured and put in another guy with no fear if he gets hurt in a meaningless game. It says it all right there.

Some of the posters in this place are a true reflection of the nonsense that swirls around this franchise.   Yeah, if KC does start and does poorly, well it's just one more possible problem.   Perhaps Kirk if he does stare down his receivers will have been influenced by watching RG do it all season... hmmm  What's the difference?  At least if RG sits he can just take it in and gain a little perspective on everything.  And he'll be ready to go come off season.  

Why did Gettis play yesterday, did Kory get injured?

I know Monty got rocked good after an INT and looked like he should have sat out the last few series. Of course, his very next play minutes later, he was out in front of a screen play. Not once, but twice.

Why the hell didn't we put a backup OL in? Let me guess, we didn't dress LeRib.

Gettis looked great to me, and I bet I was not the only one that saw Cousins had a pocket.  But Mike said that the backups were not as good.  How did you grade Gettis? 

Dare I think Mike was wrong in his assessment of his OL and knowing what is best. Funny he throws them under the bus though. Like Paul is the only one that should keep his mouth shut.

Who is in charge of teaching him these skills? So Mike Shanahan is benching him for his safety because he failed to develop these skills properly?

He doesn't have to say it Because you want to take out one player for fear of him getting injured and put in another guy with no fear if he gets hurt in a meaningless game. It says it all right there.

I think KC is a big enough man to get what this franchise GAVE UP for this guy and KC like it or not isn't that guy.  I seriously doubt that his feelings are hurt one little bit.  If anything, a real athlete/competitor relishes this kind of opportunity, they are not insulted by it or even hurt by it, but just the opposite.   Players love to prove everybody wrong, and that includes their coaches/ media and fans.  I'm not saying KC will light anything up, but can guarantee he is chomping at the bit to play regardless of the circumstances.  

Dare I think Mike was wrong in his assessment of his OL and knowing what is best. Funny he throws them under the bus though. Like Paul is the only one that should keep his mouth shut.

I guess Shanny doesn't agree with me, but I thought Paul fought hard out there yesterday. He was one of the few to show up. I think that may have been his best game this season. Oh well, what do I know?

Shanahan's excuse for his power play (benching Griffin to keep him healthy) is just another nail in his talent-evaluator coffin. He's saying the backup OL aren't close to pushing the starters. That starting them would put Griffin in more danger

That's 100% on Shanahan. He drafted these guys, he decided to only use mid-late round picks on that position group, because that's what he's succeeded building OL's with in the past.

It's just another failure. The ZBS is supposed to make it easier for Shanahan to get "his guys", and more cheaply. He's failed miserably on that count--every single one of our OL other than Trent is a journeyman FA signing.

I think KC is a big enough man to get what this franchise GAVE UP for this guy and KC like it or not isn't that guy.  I seriously doubt that his feelings are hurt one little bit.  If anything, a real athlete/competitor relishes this kind of opportunity, they are not insulted by it or even hurt by it, but just the opposite.   Players love to prove everybody wrong, and that includes their coaches/ media and fans.  I'm not saying KC will light anything up, but can guarantee he is chomping at the bit to play regardless of the circumstances.

I agree I think he will do fine and can handle it but I question the idea of it and the message it sends to the team especially the veterans. You can't treat Griffin with kid gloves and pull him out for the season just because the games are meaningless and he might get hurt. It sets a bad precedent and further pushes the idea that he receives preferential treatment or is bigger than the team.

Morris, Kerrigan, Trent and Garçon are all going to be important to our team next year too. Why are their careers and seasons ok to be risked but Griffin is above that?

I just hate the idea.

Why did Gettis play yesterday, did Kory get injured?

I know Monty got rocked good after an INT and looked like he should have sat out the last few series. Of course, his very next play minutes later, he was out in front of a screen play. Not once, but twice.

Why the hell didn't we put a backup OL in? Let me guess, we didn't dress LeRib.

Gettis looked great to me, and I bet I was not the only one that saw Cousins had a pocket.  But Mike said that the backups were not as good.  How did you grade Gettis? 

there was an actual game? Mike Shanahan is goood.

No one is even talking about the debacle on special teams. Our special teams unit is worse then the Chargers a few years ago and there dude got s-canned.

I was gonna break down the opening script but no one cares. No one cares that the same 2-man play-action routes that haven't been working since week 1, shockingly still aren't working.

No one cares that we didn't use turbo.

No one cares that we didn't use any of the concepts that worked from the first half of the Giants game.

No one cares that we put Fred Davis on ice after contributing on the only 1st quarter scoring drive of the season.

Mike has deflected all conversation away from his failures on the field and placed the spotlight squarely on Robert Griffin (who is handcuffed and underdeveloped by Kyle) and Dan Snyder (who gave Mike everything Mike wanted).

Man.

Just fire him already.

We need to purge.

Archived