Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mike Shanahan Press Conference: "I haven't made a decision on the starting QB **UPDATE** per John Keim: Cousins will start

Boss_Hogg

I don't see why people are seeing this as such a problem. I've been saying this for the last couple weeks. Bench Griffin, he is learning nothing getting destroyed behind our pathetic offensive line. He needs to go into the off season healthy instead of rehabbing another injury. Seriously, what is to gain by playing Griffin the last 3 weeks of the season? I'm shocked it wasn't Dan Snyder himself telling Shanahan to sit Griffin down, it's the logical play all things considered.

How does that look to the rest of the team? RG3 is above playing in meaningless games because he might get hurt but the rest of the players aren't and can risk their season and careers? 

For someone so concerned about Griffin receiving preferential treatment, Shanahan doesn't seem to mind perpetuating that notion.

I don't see how anybody could think this is in the best interest of the team.  

Given the hits he's taken this season... Is coming off of major knee surgery... and the fact that no other player did the organization give up so much for.  This move has happened on other teams in similar record circumstances.  This is not some new move by a coach.  Oh and turf does tend to lead to more injuries period.  

There is one possibility nobody has considered

That Shanny is shelving RGIII because of the beating he is taking and he wants him healthy going into OTAs. ;)

In all seriousness at this point in the season I actually like this decision. Lets find out what cousins is worth, lets rest RGIII and protect him, and lets play for the highest 2nd round pick we can get. I actually really like this idea

I agree to the premise. I actually think that Robert isn't getting "good" reps right now.  And he's not really learning or growing, so there is no real reason to keep him out there. 

Also, he's causing problems for himself.  Because he is not trusting his eyes, and he's not getting rid of the ball quickly, he's assisting in getting himself beat up.  That's not good for the kid's confidence.

I've been saying since about week 6 that it was going to take a full off-season to correct what is ailing Robert.  Starting with his footwork, confidence, accuracy and ability to read defenses.  The good news is we KNOW he can do it.  We saw it last year. He had pretty good footwork, and was pretty accurate and very decisive.  He's got to get back to that.  

But I think there are a few benefits to this decision that go along with keeping Robert out of trouble:

In the near term:

- I actually think it's just the opposite, this move PREVENTS Snyder from firing him.  Think about it. If Snyder fires him, and then forces Haz, Kyle or Raheem to start Robert, it's Norv 2.0 with George and Johnson.  He's not going to do that.  He's learned from that mistake.  

- It proves that he's in charge.  And everybody else can go suck on it.  

- It is a preemptive strike to Robert going to the owner.  Because you KNOW if Robert when to Dan and complained, Dan CAN'T do anything about it.  Dan is not foolish enough to try and force Shanahan's hand.  If for no other reason it's probably breach of contract. And he would get MURDERED in the press. Because then we've got the meddling owner story back in town.  

-There's probably something satisfying to Shanahan that Robert just has to live with his decision.

- Shanahan knows the "meddling owner" reputation Dan has.  Dan is trying to repair his reputation, and won't want to meddle, if for no other reason he won't want diminish the pool of candidates for the next HC.

In the slightly longer term,

- It really would be good to see what Cousins has. For trade value at the least.

- He can fiddle with the rest of the OL without worrying about Griffin.

- Shanahan might find himself coaching somewhere else, and might want to grab Cousins. Good to give him some PT and continue to build that relationship.

- He's not quitting.  And he's trying to make it look like he's got Griffin's best interests at heart.  (Which might/might not be true. But that's the image that he's trying to portray.

Look, I think most likely Shanahan is gone at the end of the year.  I also think he's responsible for a lot of crap that's coming out of Ashburn.  But I think he's really, really, savey, and if he's fired, he wants to make other people look bad for doing it.  Does he want out? Probably.  But he's not going to just roll over.  If Dan fires him, he wants to make that hard on Dan.  

I think by doing this, we're seeing him force Dan to keep him around the rest of the season. Then, at the end of a 13-3 season, they want to part ways, that's fine.  But I don't think he wants to be fired in-season.  

And he's not going to quit and leave 7 mil on the table.

Clear & simple, Shanny put Dan in check with the "I like Dan" & "protect Roberts health" lines. Then basicly saying he's benching the franchise QB for the back up who is basicly Rex Lite. That move will destroy any trade value Cousins had.

Dan wants him to quit. Mike wants Dan to fire him so he gets paid. This isn't going to end well.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8366/mike-shanahan

The Houston Chronicle's John McClain reports the Texans won't consider Mike Shanahan for their head-coaching vacancy if/when he's fired by the Redskins.
Shanahan has gone full George Costanza as he attempts to force his way out of Washington, but it apparently won't be to Houston. McClain has his finger on the pulse of the Texans like no one else in the media. According to McClain, candidates the Texans will consider are Lovie Smith, Stanford's David Shaw, Penn State's Bill O'Brien and Chargers OC Ken Whisenhunt. Shanahan's sour act — and perpetual losing — could mean his days as an NFL head man are through. Dec 9 - 4:33 PM

So if I'm reading you correctly, you feel RG3's ceiling is more important, even if evidence suggests that the team plays harder and performs better with Cousins.  What effect do you think that would have on the rest of the team if you trade away the QB they played for for the one they didn't?  Especially given that the thing with athletes with high ceilings is the risk they never actually reach that ceiling.

I realize I'm not being fair and just playing devil's advocate.  Just like hearing reasonable discussions about these sort of things.

I'd take issue with those players who pick and choose who to play for. 

In a WWE heal move Shanahan anouces this week he is not going to start Griffin this week . In Atlanta he makes football history by starting the first posession with a kneel down, then another then another .... on a QB kneel down somehow the preasure beats polumbus Kirk tweaks his pinky and Shanhan turns to Rex who just gets off the bench and shakes his head and just walks into the locker room shaking his head, then finally after considering a guy from the first few rows in the stands turns to RGIII and sends him in. but not before changing the blocking scheme to 0 zone blocking in that on each snap of the ball there is 0 blocking (although it takes a couple of snaps for commentators to really notice any difference) ...

Eventually the PA plays out For the Love of Money, by the O'jays.and Snyder is seen walking through the middle of the pitch with Bruce Allen and unknown suits carrying the three Lombardi ...gets to midfield and from somewhere a microphone drops from the rafters and Snyder in best WWE style lays the verbal smacketh down finally pointing madly at Mike shouting your fired .... house lights....

Closing vignette - With chears echoing in the backroguDanny walking back to the limousine in a deserted parking lot gets jumped by John Mara, and Albert Haynesworth and then Vinny Certato comes from no where and starts wailing on the Snyder with a racquet ball racquet and then he looks back to the camera and smiles and with big bug eyes bulging starts laughing maniacally  ...

Thats how it should go - i might watch that

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8366/mike-shanahan

The Houston Chronicle's John McClain reports the Texans won't consider Mike Shanahan for their head-coaching vacancy if/when he's fired by the Redskins.
Shanahan has gone full George Costanza as he attempts to force his way out of Washington, but it apparently won't be to Houston. McClain has his finger on the pulse of the Texans like no one else in the media. According to McClain, candidates the Texans will consider are Lovie Smith, Stanford's David Shaw, Penn State's Bill O'Brien and Chargers OC Ken Whisenhunt. Shanahan's sour act — and perpetual losing — could mean his days as an NFL head man are through. Dec 9 - 4:33 PM

Bill O'Brien would be an interesting HC candidate for the Skins too.

the worst thing the Redskins can do is play Cousins. They could get a 2nd round pick for him without showing him. Even if he's good, he'll fail given he will play with a bunch teammates that have packed it in. His value can only go down.

Not sure if serious... :blink: There was a reason we got him in the 4th. Nobody is giving us anything more than a 4th for him. And I think if you get that offer you take it and run.

How does that look to the rest of the team? RG3 is above playing in meaningless games because he might get hurt but the rest of the players aren't and can risk their season and careers? 

For someone so concerned about Griffin receiving preferential treatment, Shanahan doesn't seem to mind perpetuating that notion.

I don't see how anybody could think this is in the best interest of the team.  

Week after week commentators talk about the crushing hits that Robert takes that other QB's don't take.  Whether in the pocket or out.  Robert doesn't know enough about the position to protect himself.  Here's a list of skills he needs to master:

1.  Reset protection to compensate for blitzes

2.  Develop a presnap and post snap ability to diagnose coverages

3.  Get thru his progressions in 3 seconds or less (stop locking in on his primary read)

4.  Climb and slide in the pocket instead of the Michael Jackson moon walk

5.  Be aware of his hot routes (frustrates the crap out of me when I see Helu wide open waiting for the ball)

Those are skills that need to ingrained but it requires an offense to do so.  Because he needs repetition to help him develop the muscle memory and thought patterns to make them good habits.  During game week there's no time for that.  He has the game plan and the opponent's defense to worry about. 

So if I'm reading you correctly, you feel RG3's ceiling is more important, even if evidence suggests that the team plays harder and performs better with Cousins.  What effect do you think that would have on the rest of the team if you trade away the QB they played for for the one they didn't?  Especially given that the thing with athletes with high ceilings is the risk they never actually reach that ceiling.

I realize I'm not being fair and just playing devil's advocate.  Just like hearing reasonable discussions about these sort of things.

I guess what I'm saying is that I can see RG3 being a true FRANCHISE caliber QB. I see him having the potential to be a top 8 QB in the league for a sustained period of time. I see Kirk Cousins as being someone like a Trent Green...a guy who can be good, who can lead his team to winning seasons and the playoffs, but whose not likely to be a guy you look at and go "He's taking us to the promised land".

As to the rest of the team, I don't honestly buy a lot of what the media has been attempting to say this season. I don't think the team votes to make him a capatain coming out of the bye last year and then this year has completely abandoned him. I can see your point if you buy into the belief that Griffin isn't liked in the locker room...I just don't buy that. If we're playing well for 3 games I expect players to be showing more good vibes towards each other regardless if it's Cousins or if it's Griffin in there...winning and playing well does that. I wouldn't take it as some kind of sign that they prefer Griffin to Cousins.

If there were players who actually felt that way, and it caused them to become an issue, then I'd have no issue showing them the door. Out of the players I think are cornerstones to this team going forward I've seen very little hint that they have an issue with Griffin. The only one that would possibly fall into that realm is Garcon, and given Garcon's competitive nature I think it's less personal and more performance based....and that's the type of attitude that can be fixed really, really quickly when a new year comes upon us.

Do players with high ceilings always reach them? No, no they don't. Then again, there's nothing saying that 3 good games out of Cousins at the end of this year means HE does better than Griffin going further either. It's a crap shoot with both. You could point to the three hypothetical good games for Cousins as something in his favor...but you can't ignore the 15 games of film on Griffin last year when he was exceptional.

I just feel that you have a much better shot going forward with Griffin than you do with Cousins. While the "bust" factor may be a bit higher with Griffin, I think the "boom" factor being so much larger is worth the risk.

There is one possibility nobody has considered

That Shanny is shelving RGIII because of the beating he is taking and he wants him healthy going into OTAs. ;)

In all seriousness at this point in the season I actually like this decision. Lets find out what cousins is worth, lets rest RGIII and protect him, and lets play for the highest 2nd round pick we can get. I actually really like this idea

Me too, little risk with KC starting, a whole lot of risk with Griffin starting. Not getting into the fight that this is Shanahan saying anything to Dan, I've been wanting this done the past two weeks and happy it's happening.

I still don't think Dan can fire Mike because Mike and Kyle are attached at the hip and I doubt anyone else on the offensive staff has ever really installed a game plan here.

Suddenly Haslett is your interim head coach/defensive coordinator and I dunno - Bobby Turner? - is your offensive coordinator. Has any offensive assistant ever called plays before?

Clear & simple, Shanny put Dan in check with the "I like Dan" & "protect Roberts health" lines. Then basicly saying he's benching the franchise QB for the back up who is basicly Rex Lite. That move will destroy any trade value Cousins had.

Dan wants him to quit. Mike wants Dan to fire him so he gets paid. This isn't going to end well.

Most importantly, it isn't going to end well for the team.

I wonder if Snyder has finally realized that these personality grudge matches always end up hurting him way more than they hurt the other party? He continues to reinforce the perception that he is an inflexible, greedy, egomaniac. What coach worth his salt would agree to come here?

Furthermore, what does it say about Snyder that so many relationships end like this? After a while, you can't keep blaming other people and circumstances - the only common thread: Snyder.

He has to sell the team.

Due to what he saw in the game against the Chiefs in those "freaking blizzard" conditions, he THEN used the excuse about synthetic field turf being a concern for Robert's safety. He didn't say he was worried about synthetic turf and THEN decide to let RG3 play in the freaking blizzard. You act like he's not allowed to be concerned for Robert's safety. Implying that the press conference he gave today "LIVE" was actually from before the Seattle game last year. But i think you still don't understand what i'm getting at … lol.

You're missing the point or you're trolling.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you're missing the point.

Week after week commentators talk about the crushing hits that Robert takes that other QB's don't take.  Whether in the pocket or out.  Robert doesn't know enough about the position to protect himself.  Here's a list of skills he needs to master:

1.  Reset protection to compensate for blitzes

2.  Develop a presnap and post snap ability to diagnose coverages

3.  Get thru his progressions in 3 seconds or less (stop locking in on his primary read)

4.  Climb and slide in the pocket instead of the Michael Jackson moon walk

5.  Be aware of his hot routes (frustrates the crap out of me when I see Helu wide open waiting for the ball)

Those are skills that need to ingrained but it requires an offense to do so.  Because he needs repetition to help him develop the muscle memory and thought patterns to make them good habits.  During game week there's no time for that.  He has the game plan and the opponent's defense to worry about. 

All of that requires breaking some bad habits as well.  

I'd take issue with those players who pick and choose who to play for. 

Players pick and choose who they play for all the time.  That's what makes team leaders so important to teams.  While you may take issue with it, it happens everywhere in sports.  And to be fair, it's not just sports, as I'm sure many people out there can tell you they have had bosses that they worked harder for than others.

Um, what? How about the fact that it has very little to do with Griffin, and a lot to do with Shanahan and his exit strategy?

I watched that presser and didn't sound to me like a man who was going anywhere. I don't believe the common thought here that this was a FU to anyone or that this is an exit strategy personally but wanted to post this.

If your a Griffin fan and you are a Redskins fan this decision should make you happy not upset or acting like the sky is falling. Why?

1. The only way to guarantee that Griffin is not hurt in a game the rest of the season is to not let him play. Everyone wants Griffin to be ready for the 2014 season right?

2. If Cousins is garbage and throws 10 INT's then guess what? The team loses and gets higher draft picks. If Cousins is hurt then guess what? He was nothing but a 4th round draft pick, what did you lose there?

3. If Cousins doesn't suck and throws 10 TD's then guess what? Another team might want to trade a pick for him. If that happens more ammunition to reload with

The only thing I believe that could hurt this team is if Cousins does well and we won't trade him. That's a good problem to have

I watched that presser and didn't sound to me like a man who was going anywhere. I don't believe the common thought here that this was a FU to anyone or that this is an exit strategy personally but wanted to post this.

If your a Griffin fan and you are a Redskins fan this decision should make you happy not upset or acting like the sky is falling. Why?

1. The only way to guarantee that Griffin is not hurt in a game the rest of the season is to not let him play. Everyone wants Griffin to be ready for the 2014 season right?

This drives me nuts. Should we have stopped playing him when we hit 7 losses? Why are we still playing Morris, Garcon, and Kerrigan? They could get hurt too.

Archived