Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Thomas Boswell: Mike Shanahan is a "weasel of a coach who defames his enemies, deflects blame and now may duck out of town"

Boss_Hogg

Something to consider: there is really no way to fire Shanahan in mid-season (there are still 3 games left, kids!) Mike going means that Kyle goes and that means that there is really no one to put in a gameplan or call plays.

Or am I missing someone?

I'm sure the offense can get together and crank out a gameplan that won't get them killed. If they can't make adjustments, no worries, the coaches couldn't either

wrong ... everything he's saying is his opinion and possible but not necessarily true.  Don't misunderstand my issue.  I think something is wrong with the coach/player/owner relationship but that's not a good enough reason to perform a public mass media character assassination.  If the things he's asserting are true than cite the facts ... if they aren't then he shouldn't be "reporting" them.  If he's pissed and angry ... then get in line with the rest of us and unload here or on some other fan site.

If Shanahan wasn't an old white guy Bos would be lynched for writing this kind of article without facts.

Really? So race is the issue? Why does everything come down to race? Shanahan is a piece of garbage. So is Snyder. Thats why it was a match made in heaven. The walls have come crumbling down and unfortunately a young franchise QB prospect is stuck in  the middle of the ****ing disaster.

There's a couple things I do believe, but I refuse to believe he left Griffin in against the Seattle game to intentionally get him hurt or teach him a lesson. I can't deal with that, he has to have more respect for the game then that. There's just no f'n way, man...

Agree. I have never thought that. It's a bizarre theory that makes so little sense I can't believe anyone would actually conceptualize it .

I'm sure the offense can get together and crank out a gameplan that won't get them killed. If they can't make adjustments, no worries, the coaches couldn't either

That was a good one ;)

Had everyone re-signed from 10-6 injury team from last year, except Alexander, in reference to salary cap penalty.  (penalty caused by Shanny regime by the way)   These players were his choice and the decisions he made.  They went 10-6 and this year now 3-10  Its all Shanny and no excuses.  Same players except for changes he made.  new all time record for points allowed in HISTORY OF FRANCHISE.

413,and 421 were only 2 times it ever went over 400.  WE ARE NOW AT 407 WITH 3 GAMES LEFT!   HOW PATHETIC IS THE JOB HE HAS DONE.  

Should Shanny be fired?  Yes.

Is this article dog ****?  Yes.

Had everyone re-signed from 10-6 injury team from last year, except Alexander, in reference to salary cap penalty.  (penalty caused by Shanny regime by the way)   These players were his choice and the decisions he made.  They went 10-6 and this year now 3-10  Its all Shanny and no excuses.  Same players except for changes he made.  new all time record for points allowed in HISTORY OF FRANCHISE.

413,and 421 were only 2 times it ever went over 400.  WE ARE NOW AT 407 WITH 3 GAMES LEFT!   HOW PATHETIC IS THE JOB HE HAS DONE.  

Hey brother. You put our historically awful defensive stats in the "status updates" for all of us to read whether we want to or not.  No need to clutter a thread with them too. :)

No the reason they won 7 games straight is the defense actually started to play well.  Something that never occurred this year.

Please even in that 7 game stretch that defense still was god forsaken awful, they just scored more points offensively because a lot of those games won in that 7 game stretch were nail bitters.

Check out John Keim's take. Its just as damning and brutal:

http://espn.go.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/3701/chiefs-45-redskins-10-ten-observations

Really? Not dan/ vinnys fault for the big al/hall contracts?

Ok

No its just their faults for adjusting the cotracts that caused the penalty. And they were warned not to do it beforehand!!

Check out John Keim's take. Its just as damning and brutal:

http://espn.go.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/3701/chiefs-45-redskins-10-ten-observations

No its just their faults for adjusting the cotracts that caused the penalty. And they were warned not to do it beforehand!!

They dumped them into the uncapped year , but even redskin haters (even collinsworth last week ) said they didn't break any rules.

Can't hold that against them. I'd like to , but that's all Mara and goodell.

So for the last couple of years I've been reading "insiders" who have uncanny amounts of inside information, much of which has been critical of the coaches. Now I'm seeing leaked reports about hurt feelings, meddling family members, insecurities and unnecessarily close relationships. This Days of our Lives crap never ends.

My opinion: The Shanny's might be trash, and they clearly have to go now, but the common denominator has not changed. We are so effed while Snyder's our owner. 

RGIII was the sole reason the Redskins won the division last year. RGIII got all the praise and adoration from the media, team, and fans.

It makes you wonder if Shanny's ego was bruised after a 22 year old rookie got all the glory and he got none.

Seams childish but so does cleaning out your office before a playoff game because the Griffin family got along better with the Snyder family.

Agreed. It's not that he doesn't care or was trying to hurt RG3 in Seattle, both of those aren't ego driven. Shanny has held players to a strong work ethic, and he has clashed because of that, but it was hard to say how much of the clashing was just from that and how much was from ego.

Given that these leaks that are hurting the team and dividing it are coming from Shanny, given the sources, that means his attitude and conduct are completely unprofessional. No matter how bad he was, this is actually surprising. It's hard to believe a former 2x Superbowl winner would conduct himself in such a manner, but there you have it. Manipulating the media to spin and deflect blame away from himself at the expense of the team, and pondering quitting during the playoffs because the owner talks with the QB, which many do around the league, instead of talking to the owner about it like a man. It's inexcusable conduct. Looks like Shanny did not do enough self-reflecting in his time off. I was on the fence with him, but after the "effort" today and now these reports coming out about his complete unprofessionalism and his BS, passive-aggressive attempts through the media rather than directly taking to Dan and/or Bruce, it's all just pathetic and I want him fired now.

These reports have completely changed my view of Shanny. I can no longer respect him after all of this has come out Losing is one thing, especially when screwed by a BS cap penalty. But turning yourself into a malcontent basically because of ego and using the media to manipulate instead of just directly talking to the owner? Ridiculous. Good riddance.

^^elk, I'd agree with you, but we don't know if he did try to talk to the owner. We really have no idea how much Dan and Robert's relationship undermined him. Those are all details we probably won't have access to until Mike is gone, if ever. We don't even know Allen's role in all of this. His role interests me the most, honestly. Because, as far as I'm concerned, he's as much to blame for this than anyone else. He was always supposed to be that buffer between Dan and the rest of the team. He even said that. 

So what the heck has he been doing? 

This **** is completely ridiculous. I've read over the numerous threads referring to this issue, and I can tell you that I ain't buying none of it.

1) I love how everyone wants to blame Snyder for this debacle. He basically gave full control to Shanny. Who gives a **** if he had Thanksgiving dinner with RG3 and his family. Are you ****ing kidding me? This is a reason to turn on Snyder? He gave Shanny full control of this organization and team. Yet, people want to blame him?!?

2) WTF is wrong with ya'll? Shanny was given the keys to this franchise (Keep in mind Snyder gave him more authority than any coach he hired prior). And what has Shanny done to have some of you guys/gals reward him this loyalty? Many on this board clamored for Snyder to "get out f the way and let football minds take over and make decisions". He did that and now that some media reports come out (whether true or not), and once again it's Snyders a piece of ****. How can that be when the head man (Shanny) had all the say and control over this team that Snyder willingly forked over and it failed?

3) It's apparent Shanny quit on this team. If you watched the PC, anyone not a Jerry's kid saw his reactions as well as the polar opposite of RG3's reaction. Get with it guys, Shanny clearly is ready to leave and doesn't give a **** about this team and organization. And please save me the Snyder/RG3 relationship as an argument. It's so lame I won't even begin to defend it.

New coach (preferrably one with an ego you can't contain), and let's see what we have., HTTR!

^^elk, I'd agree with you, but we don't know if he did try to talk to the owner. We really have no idea how much Dan and Robert's relationship undermined him. Those are all details we probably won't have access to until Mike is gone, if ever. We don't even know Allen's role in all of this. His role interests me the most, honestly. Because, as far as I'm concerned, he's as much to blame for this than anyone else. He was always supposed to be that buffer between Dan and the rest of the team. He even said that. 

A lot of ppl have speculated that he has no real power. It looks like that's the case.

I've been a fan since '92.  I've seen a lot of crappy redskins teams in my days as a fan...but this season is by far the worst.  

Also, Gibbs is still the best coach i've gotten the pleasure of seeing

Way worse than 2009, which I didn't even think was possible.

Had me seriously wishing I could go back in time and not let my family influence me into being a Skins fan

This **** is completely ridiculous. I've read over the numerous threads referring to this issue, and I can tell you that I ain't buying none of it.

1) I love how everyone wants to blame Snyder for this debacle. He basically gave full control to Shanny. Who gives a **** if he had Thanksgiving dinner with RG3 and his family. Are you ****ing kidding me? This is a reason to turn on Snyder? He gave Shanny full control of this organization and team. Yet, people want to blame him?!?

2) WTF is wrong with ya'll? Shanny was given the keys to this franchise (Keep in mind Snyder gave him more authority than any coach he hired prior). And what has Shanny done to have some of you guys/gals reward him this loyalty? Many on this board clamored for Snyder to "get out f the way and let football minds take over and make decisions". He did that and now that some media reports come out (whether true or not), and once again it's Snyders a piece of ****. How can that be when the head man (Shanny) had all the say and control over this team that Snyder willingly forked over and it failed?

3) It's apparent Shanny quit on this team. If you watched the PC, anyone not a Jerry's kid saw his reactions as well as the polar opposite of RG3's reaction. Get with it guys, Shanny clearly is ready to leave and doesn't give a **** about this team and organization. And please save me the Snyder/RG3 relationship as an argument. It's so lame I won't even begin to defend it.

New coach (preferrably one with an ego you can't contain), and let's see what we have., HTTR!

Snyder's the one who gave Shanny the keys to the organization.  He needs to stop hiring HCs and giving them full control.  It hasn't worked.  If Snyder wants to get it right he needs to hire someone like Bill Polian and make him Team President.  Then let him structure the FO, hire a GM to work under him and then hire a HC.  

That's a great point, and completely true. BUT, because Shanny's people, like Schefter, Paulsen, and Jenkins, have been the ones leaking these stories lately and per insiders also, it shows Shanny is playing the manipulation game. Plus, having them leaked right before games? It's completely unprofessional and there's no excuse for it IMO.

I'm hopeful that the relationship with Dan and RG3 isn't a destructive one, but as much stuff gets leaked and found out, like previous player relationships were with Snyder, I haven't really seen that be the case with RG3. So while that is an unknown, what is a known is that Shanny is leaking this harmful stuff and again it's inexcusable, thus why he needs to go. I could forgive the losses if the team ended with some promise because I do realize just how harmful the cap penalty has been, but these antics I just can't forgive no matter the relationship between Dan and RG3.

I've been a fan since '92.  I've seen a lot of crappy redskins teams in my days as a fan...but this season is by far the worst.  

Also, Gibbs is still the best coach i've gotten the pleasure of seeing

2009 was worse.

There's a couple things I do believe, but I refuse to believe he left Griffin in against the Seattle game to intentionally get him hurt or teach him a lesson. I can't deal with that, he has to have more respect for the game then that. There's just no f'n way, man...

Yea the same dude who asked TD to go out on a play when he was blind. Or told his QB to throw a football at an unexpecting owners head too.

That's what I thought but think about it... The slow developing routes with 2 WRs leaving griffin back there getting killed, not moving the pocket with a pathetic offensive line, abandoning the running game all the time, teams saying they know exactly what we are doing. If Shanahan isn't gone tomorrow someone above him needs to step in and bench griffin the rest of the year before this season hits absolute bottom and he gets hurt. Maybe he didn't do it on purpose last year, but this year I certainly now think they are punishing him on purpose at some level.

Good (but a little emotional and intense article from our old pal NLC

http://httr24-7.com/blog/mike-shanahans-brilliant-last-act-as-redskins-coach-making-everyone-forget-he-sucked/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

sobering concept, isn't it? it literally boggles my mind what's transpired in one year. it can't be rationalized. What a ****ing league the NFL is...

What a ****ing "franchise" the Redskins are....

Archived