Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Thomas Boswell: Mike Shanahan is a "weasel of a coach who defames his enemies, deflects blame and now may duck out of town"

Boss_Hogg

Sorry, that article lost a LOT of credit when it said that Shanahan has been known to bloody other people's reputations and then he cites Albert ****ing Haynesworth and Donovan McNabb.  He lost me right there.  Same with the team name crap.

This is a Boswell self-pleasure piece, nothing else.

While I don't believe Shanahan wished injury on Griffin, I think he left him out there as an object lesson to observers.  Now, don't get me wrong, I don't think he even knew that Griffin was in as bad a shape as we found out (though it should have been obvious, really.)  But I do think there was a bit of "hey suck on this!" to the move to keep him in.  Now, that's not saying he would have put RG out there even if RG was saying, "I can't go, coach!"  Just that there could very well have been a desire to show people that no one player is above the team by...making that player the cause of the loss.

You are out of your mind.  I want Shanahan gone, but he's gotten to this level by being a massive competitor and got us those seven straight wins to get into the playoffs.  Were those two effing months straight of biding his time just to get him injured?  Or in any way do anything but win?

You people should've stopped drinking and gone to bed a LONG time before posting **** like this.

Shanny had a divided reputation on his way into DC. Some thought he was "the genius," some said he was a shell of the man who won two SB with Elway. No one ever said he was a good dude. Yes, the article is extreme and it loses some credibility with fans when mention of McNabb and Haynesworth is used as evidence, but come-on folks, if you don't think the s___ storm that has hit RGIII and now Snyder is largely Camp Shanny related I wonder what might convince you. As others have said.... what has Snyder done the last four years that made life tougher on Shanny. He has literally gotten EVERYTHING he asked for and then some. If, and I say IF because we don't know it to be true, he didn't want McNabb or he didn't want to trade-up for RGIII, it was his job as the man with FULL CONTROL on player decisions to bring it up. To leak it now in the midst of a double-digit loss this season is chicken s___.

I am certain he thought about getting out with his legacy intact, the way Gibbs II did, especially if he could turn the keys to the castle over to his son. Let's not forget that in January of this year we were bracing for the possibility that Kyle was going to get a HC gig somewhere, perhaps it was Mike's thought that he could capitalize on a 10-win season and hand Kyle the job? Only to have that ruined when RGIII was injured? Perhaps what irks him about the relationship reported between RGIII and Snyder is that Mike knows his son's relationship with the QB is not strong enough to have Kyle have the support on the most important member of his offense. We don't know, but brace yourselves because if Mike isn't fired by lunchtime today those are the leaks that will surface from the other side of this saga, just watch.

Finally, one great season of QB play and we have forgotten what bad QB play actually looks like. It is part of the cycle of being a Skins fan I guess, at least the last quarter century. We literally got ONE good season from Mark Rypien and ONE good season from Brad Johnson since 1991... ONE decent season from Jason Campbell and ONE decent season from Mark Brunell and we are dumping on Robert for his play this season??? Coming off a knee injury and off of the best ROY campaign in the modern era he had no where to go but down, but this team has failed in every way possible this year and he is far from the top 5 biggest problems. Did you watch any other FB yesterday?

Wilson is a gamer, but he has guys giving him all day to throw, he has receivers making full extension diving plays, etc.

Luck has a great second half after his team stumbles out of the gates and is down 21-0 because guys turn five-yard routes into 60-yard TDs.

Cap has plenty of time to wind-up (and boy does he ever) and throw, even against the Hawks D. And guys make plays for him. Did you see Vernon Davis' grab on their second TD? No one on our team makes that play.

Newton has a great D on the other side of the ball, his #89 is still ageless, and they ask Cam to manage the game.

And I am yet to say a single thing about the worst Special Teams in the history of professional football and the most worthless defense I have ever seen. The cap penalty hurt us most on teams, that is where your depth or lack of depth shows, but is was Shanny who hired Burns and Haz, it is Shanny who built this sorry team, it is Shanny who is 13 games under .500 in four years and who has lost 10+ in three of his four years here. There are plenty of FB reasons to fire this man. There are now plenty of other reasons to fire him as well.

At the moment — and it’s early yet — Mike Shanahan is still the coach of the Redskins. But even if — or when — he’s not, he’s apparently not on the Texans’ wish list. According to John McClain of the Houston Chronicle, the Texans won’t pursue Shanahan even if he’s fired by the Redskins.…

Link:http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/12/09/report-texans-not-interested-in-shanahan-if-hes-fired/

That's why I didn't understand all this Shanahan to Houston talk. Is Houston not supposed to look at his Redskins record?

Lavar just made an interesting point on NFL Network AM. Did anyone else notice that in Shanahan's press conference, the background wasn't lit up?

Like Robert said, there is a lot of non-football stuff here.

Let's simplify:  The team, in all phases, is worst-in-the-league terrible, to the point where the coaches and staff must be changed.  If you all want to investigate, and dwell on the reasons WHY, then go ahead and make yourselves miserable.

Shannahan's motives don't concern me.  Not anymore.  You could drop news on me that he beats his wife and cooks meth.  I don't care.  I care about my Redskins looking like a team that actually belongs in the ****ing NFL.

I honestly feel like Bruce should just say this and every fan everywhere would understand. 

Hasn't every single Head Coach under Danny Boy wanted to get fired?

I don't blame them, run like hell Mike and don't looks back.

And take your 24-36 record with you.

I'm disappointed I didn't wakeup to Breaking News that Mike Shanahan hasn't been fired.

Wow. Just wow. Boswell nailed it.

Where have you gone Joe Gibbs? Win or lose, at least we had some class when he was here.

Okay, I realize this situation with Shanahan sucks, but really?  Can people please, for the love of god, move past Joe Gibbs?  That's the past, let's hope this team has a bright future.

Just a laundry list of Shanahan failures and media circus moments further cementing this franchise as a joke.

-Jim Haslett

-Bob Slowik

-McNabb trade.

-Jamaal Brown trade.

-Haynesworth "conditioning tests."

-Benching of McNabb for Rex Grossman.

-"Cardiovascular endurance."

-"I stake my reputation on John Beck."

-Cap penalty.

-Kirk Cousins.

-RG3/Seattle playoff game.

-2013 offseason.

-Keith Burns.

These are just the ones off the top of my head.

Shanny had a divided reputation on his way into DC. Some thought he was "the genius," some said he was a shell of the man who won two SB with Elway. No one ever said he was a good dude. Yes, the article is extreme and it loses some credibility with fans when mention of McNabb and Haynesworth is used as evidence, but come-on folks, if you don't think the s___ storm that has hit RGIII and now Snyder is largely Camp Shanny related I wonder what might convince you. As others have said.... what has Snyder done the last four years that made life tougher on Shanny. He has literally gotten EVERYTHING he asked for and then some. If, and I say IF because we don't know it to be true, he didn't want McNabb or he didn't want to trade-up for RGIII, it was his job as the man with FULL CONTROL on player decisions to bring it up. To leak it now in the midst of a double-digit loss this season is chicken s___.

Well said.  Shanahan is just trying to win the PR game now.  He came here looking to get paid and to possibly lock in a HoF slot for himself by leading another franchise to glory, and when it didn't happen quickly, he looked to quit and burn the place down on his way out the door.  I'm not going to defend Snyder's record as an owner, but this current disaster is all on Mike "The Ego" Shanahan. 

In retrospect Shanny lost the team in that Seattle game last year.  When you are afraid to pull your QB when clearly is hurt the message you send to everyone within the team is RGIII is untouchable.  And if he really was ready to quit then why should he care?  Is not like he was afraid if he pull RGIII out of that game Synder would fire him.   So this BS about cleaning out his desk and ready to quit I do believe is all fluff from him to deflect blame.

Afterwards during the offseason he had plenty of opportunities to shut RGIII up with his all in for game one.  he had the chance at the OTAs,  he had the chance at the mini camps and he had the chance at camp when it was obvious RGIII was not ready (and please don't tell me it wasn't obvious).  He also failed to do that, especially since RGIII didn't even take a snap in preseason.

The most damming evidence of how inept he has been as a coach is the fact that he has not done a damn thing to force a change in special teams for example.  Fire that troll of a coach, or at the very least bring in a specialty kicker that boots the ball out of the endzone.  Nope, same BS game after game. 

So I am not blaming Synder here.  The dude stayed away and to say he didn't because he likes Robert is ridiculous.  But I am sure in the end of the day Synder will get most if not all of the blame.

And for those of you that point to the cap penalty, let me remind you that the Redskins this year have returned every single player that mattered from last year except Alexander.  And also let me remind you this is one of the healthiest years this team has had with the starting OL and DL going all the way until now.  So the cap penalty is not excuse, especially when you look at the NFC East completion.

More dirty laundry

-Insisted on a 3-4 without a stout Nose

-Hired a 4-3 guy to run his 3-4, and then refuses to fire him (presumably for him being right in suggesting a 4-3 was better for us)

-Insisted on a OL that consistently fails to provide even the most basic of pass protections

-Hired his son as an OC thus tying his own hands in being able to fire him should the need arise

-Makes an example of Haynesworth yet gives a roster spot to LeRibs.

-Abhors hurry up despite it carving up defenses for a decade +

-Extending McNabb announcing it before kickoff of a primetime game against his former club. And got shelled.

-Prime Time disasters embarrassing this organization in his tenure

-Passing blame until it was clear he realized he pushed back too hard in this mole activities, and finally accepts blame.

Just a laundry list of Shanahan failures and media circus moments further cementing this franchise as a joke.

-Jim Haslett

-Bob Slowik

-McNabb trade.

-Jamaal Brown trade.

-Cap penalty.

-Kirk Cousins.

-2013 offseason.

-Keith Burns.

LOL!!!

More dirty laundry

-Insisted on a 3-4 without a stout Nose

-Hired a 4-3 guy to run his 3-4, and then refuses to fire him (presumably for him being right in suggesting a 4-3 was better for us)

In a way you kind of vindicated Haslett.

In a way you kind of vindicated Haslett.

I have been trying to rationalize why Mike retains him.

Perhaps, just maybe, Mike keeps him because Jim was correct in his assessment that we were better for the 4-3. "You were right and its not right to fire you now."  Its just a theory of mine. But many will argue without a stout nose, a 3-4 is doomed. Firing Haslet may just moving deck chairs on the titanic.

Clearly, our defense could not get much worse, but am still open to hear better theories as to why Mike has not fired Haslet.

-Jim Haslett

-Bob Slowik

-McNabb trade.

-Jamaal Brown trade.

-Cap penalty.

-Kirk Cousins.

-2013 offseason.

-Keith Burns.

I'm also gonna throw in the mishandling of homegrown talent Laron Landy and Carlos Rogers. Both players came out and had harsh words for Shanahan after they left.

Both guys wanted to stay, but we're railroaded by the staff.

Now the same is happening to Fred Davis.

I'm also gonna throw in the mishandling of homegrown talent Laron Landy and Carlos Rogers. Both players came out and had harsh words for Shanahan after they left.

I said it yesterday and I'll say it again today. This man has had one conflict after another since he walked in the door.

Except they both sucked.  Have you forgotten how many game changing interceptions old stone hands flat out dropped?!!  And LL, what a freaking joke.  He couldn't stay on the field and when he was he was good for one big hit a game and was getting toasted or run over the rest of the time.  Those two guys are almost as bad an example as Haynesworth and Mcnabb.

Archived