Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who is the best potential General Manager that is available?

Mania

I want Trent Kirchner. Currently the director of pro personnel in Seattle. Was bumped to the spot in 2010. Before that was a scout for Carolina and built a good portion of their superbowl team. 

I want him. BAD

Might want to watch your wording. :)

It's great to see people bring up names like this. Kirchner, though, has only been Personnel director for about 6 months, was the asst. before that. Seems a little quick to give him a GM job.

Trading draft picks for Brad Johnson was a smart move. Snyder screwed that up in 2000 as Brad went on to win a SB in Tampa.

We could have kept Trent Green and the draft picks.

I don't think anyone is defending Cerrato, btw.

We could have kept Trent Green and the draft picks.

I don't think anyone is defending Cerrato, btw.

If my memory serves me correct, Trent Green was offered a better contract than the Rams. Still turned us down in favor of his home town. Unsure how Casserly could have kept him.

If my memory serves me correct, Trent Green was offered a better contract than the Rams. Still turned us down in favor of his home town. Unsure how Casserly could have kept him.

I don't think we tried as hard as we could have to sign him

http://www.nytimes.com/1999/02/16/sports/plus-pro-football-minnesota-johnson-is-traded-to-the-redskins.html

We made a decision not to re-sign Trent because we were going to trade for Brad Johnson, said Charley Casserly, Washington's general manager. (AP)

Ugh... Chucky won a SB with the team that Tony Dungy assembled.  He was fairly average after that (once Brad Johnson retired). I am NOT a fan of Gruden - he's the world's biggest cheerleader for the flavor of the month

I won't disagree with you entirely but was that team assembled by Dungy or just coached by him (Obv he had a hand in who was retained, started, etc.)?

The other thing people forget is that Gruden had a good team in Oakland before he left, which got to the SB the year after.  Now, we can claim that was Al Davis (or Bruce Allen) and not Chucky but since MOST coaches are not also full-GM status, then none of them truly "assemble" their own team.  

Something many of us said when Shanny was hired is that nearly every time a coach took on GM duties, in addition to his job as HC, the team suffered the consequences.  It was a TERRIBLE decision to hire Shanahan and not have a GM.

Its funny how your chewing up Casserly for those reasons when Vinny did those things on a larger scale during every off season.

Sure, Casserly made a bad decision with Stubblefield/Big Daddy, but Vinny made those stupid moves all the time.

I sure as hell don't want Captain Bugeyes back either, so I'm not sure what your point is. They both SUCKED. People are letting their justifiable hatred of Snyder's lackeys to somehow idealize a guy who was a putrid GM. Decent scout, but that's it. And it's not just Westbrook, Shuler, and Lang- it's Andre Johnson (the total bust OL, not the WR) whom he traded up to pick, but who never saw the field. It's Tom Carter, whose incompetence was masked by Darrell in his prime, but was out of football within a few years. IT'S EVERY SINGLE FIRST ROUND PICK HE MADE NOT NAMED BAILEY DURING THE DECADE HE WAS HERE. NAME ONE OTHER GM WHO BLEW THE 1ST ROUND EVERYTIME FOR NEARLY A DECADE!?!

It's inheriting the best, albeit aging, OL in the NFL, and ending up with the worst OL in the NFL. The 98 OL makes the 2013 OL look like powerhouses...and the Texans OL was also the WORST in the NFL when he got fired from there. Coincidence?

When Casserly got the boot here, we had 1 Pro Bowl player on the roster - the friggin' punter! When Pioli got booted from KC, they had 8.

I won't disagree with you entirely but was that team assembled by Dungy or just coached by him (Obv he had a hand in who was retained, started, etc.)?

The other thing people forget is that Gruden had a good team in Oakland before he left, which got to the SB the year after.  Now, we can claim that was Al Davis (or Bruce Allen) and not Chucky but since MOST coaches are not also full-GM status, then none of them truly "assemble" their own team.  

Something many of us said when Shanny was hired is that nearly every time a coach took on GM duties, in addition to his job as HC, the team suffered the consequences.  It was a TERRIBLE decision to hire Shanahan and not have a GM.

Dungy and Rich McKay built that roster.  McKay stuck around for a little while before Bruce Allen replaced him.  They only significant roster changes Gruden made his first year were adding Keenan McCradell and Micheal Pittman. 

Dungy and Rich McKay built that roster.  McKay stuck around for a little while before Bruce Allen replaced him.  They only significant roster changes Gruden made his first year were adding Keenan McCradell and Micheal Pittman. 

Ah, McKay.  

I'd say it's not the worst thing to not assemble your team.  ARguably, the decisions hammered out by Beathard and Gibbs were to our benefit.  But Gruden definitely had a hand in Oakland's short-lived renaissance.  NOT that I'm clamoring for YET ANOTHER retread.  I just wish people would look to an up-and-comer.  An experienced (but not ancient) GM would not be a bad thing, though.

I've wanted Eric Decosta since the 2006 debacle. I think that was the year we hired Morocco Brown from the Bears. The biggest mistake of Gibbs II was that he didn't fire Vinny and hire a true GM. I believe ES board members were clamoring for Eric DeCosta in 2007.

Our drafting hasn't been bad since Shanny came on board if you compare it to all the teams in NFL since 2010. That being said, I think it would be better with DeCosta.

Chipwhich says "Casserly was horrible".

What's the basis for your opinion? 

I don't know about Chip, but pretty much the majority of the Norval Turner debacle in which Casserly was the GM "was horrible."  The years that everyone wants to give him credit for were the years that Bobby Beathard was making personnel decisions and Casserly was an assistant!  Once Casserly took over the reigns, the team pretty quickly cratered and stayed cratered until he was fired. The problem for us is that Snyder then replaced him with his racquetball buddy!

Please. NO to Charley!

Someone high up  from Packers, Patriots, Ravens, Steelers or 49ers 

This is what I would go with as well.

I'm sick of name guys. Name players, name coaches, name executives, etc.

Lets get a top lieutenant from a winning franchise. I'd put the Seahawks on that list as well.

Or maybe pillage whoever is the GM of the Bengals. That team has drafted incredibly well in recent years, they NEVER spend $ on FA, yet they're going to make another playoff birth with a very young and athletic roster.

I know nothing about Morocco Brown except that he has been part of this front office in some capacity.

Fair or not to him, Snyder needs to bring in somebody from a stable, winning organization to be the next GM.

And it needs to be a TRADITIONAL front office. None of this coach will all the power stuff, or worse, three headed monster stuff Snyder has been part of in previous years. Hire a GM and give him the power to be one. Snyder has NEVER done that.

Lets get a top lieutenant from a winning franchise. I'd put the Seahawks on that list as well.

Or maybe pillage whoever is the GM of the Bengals. That team has drafted incredibly well in recent years, they NEVER spend $ on FA, yet they're going to make another playoff birth with a very young and athletic roster.

John Schneider is the Hawks GM. He was here under Marty and got canned when Marty quit/got fired instead of letting Vinny be part of the picture again.

Wait, I think I just threw up in my mouth.

Top Lieutenants in the front offices of Seattle, San Francisco, Baltimore, Green Bay, Philadelphia, NY Giants, New Orleans, and Atlanta would be perfect to identify and interview for a head of football operations candidate. I know some of these teams are struggling currently, but their front offices have done well most years or they have people that have understudied beneath top executives. 

I don't know about Chip, but pretty much the majority of the Norval Turner debacle in which Casserly was the GM "was horrible."  The years that everyone wants to give him credit for were the years that Bobby Beathard was making personnel decisions and Casserly was an assistant!  Once Casserly took over the reigns, the team pretty quickly cratered and stayed cratered until he was fired. The problem for us is that Snyder then replaced him with his racquetball buddy!

Please. NO to Charley!

To be fair to Casserly, Norv Turner was the offensive genius behind the Cowboys success.  Skins had success with Trent Green and with Brad Johnson.  Skins won the division title one year plus the first playoff game (right?).  The wheels to the franchise fell off when Snyder insisted on his own QB (there have been so many Snyder disasters I don't even remember the QB's name).  Regardless, I don't think Casserly would even be in the picture if Snyder ever acquired a GM.

It would be nice to know the contract status of the current GM'S around the league. It would be great to hire an established "free agent" GM  like Ted Thompson, Kevin Colbert, Trent Baalke, or Jerry Reese. I think Pioli would be good at picking players but worry about the coaches he picked in Kansas City. Maybe his father in law as executive vice prez and Pioli as GM. 

Archived