Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who is the best potential General Manager that is available?

Mania

If we were to fire Shanahan at the end of the season, who would be the best available GM, in charge of personnel. Bruce Allen would most likely be here in his same capacity. He isn't a personnel guru.

We shouldn't give the head coach GM responsibilities.

Would you be interested in promoting from within, say Morocco Brown or Scott Campbell, or would you like to hire a former GM like Scott Pioli or AJ Smith, or would you be interested in an Eric Decosta type from the Ravens or another current Assistant GM.

Thoughts?

My thought is Brown or Pioli. But this is a real hard question to answer. If you don't work in the NFL it's obviously difficult to figure out who from what organization contributes what to personnel decisions. And we're not interviewing them to find out what their philosophy would be, whom they would hire, etc. So when we're guessing at guys who are just assistants, we're doing just that- guessing.

Snyder can't throw a ton of money at Charlie Casserly and lure him back to work his magic again?

Then fire Shanahan and Co.

Then hire:

HC: Jon Gruden

OC: Jay Gruden

DC: Lovie Smith (Tampa Two)

Ugh... Chucky won a SB with the team that Tony Dungy assembled.  He was fairly average after that (once Brad Johnson retired). I am NOT a fan of Gruden - he's the world's biggest cheerleader for the flavor of the month

Snyder can't throw a ton of money at Charlie Casserly and lure him back to work his magic again?

Then fire Shanahan and Co.

Then hire:

HC: Jon Gruden

OC: Jay Gruden

DC: Lovie Smith (Tampa Two)

Please no more family ties around here. I'll take David Shaw HC and if Rex Ryan gets fired, I would love him as DC. As far as GM, I really have no feel for that right now. AJ Smith would be tolerable.

My thought is Brown or Pioli. But this is a real hard question to answer. If you don't work in the NFL it's obviously difficult to figure out who from what organization contributes what to personnel decisions. And we're not interviewing them to find out what their philosophy would be, whom they would hire, etc. So when we're guessing at guys who are just assistants, we're doing just that- guessing.

Are you referring to Morroco? Curious as to why you and others I have seen are high on him. Wouldn't he also be responsible for the lack of talent always brought in during the draft or is there information that he is highly valued but always overruled/ignored for Vinny and now Shanahans picks?

Ugh... Chucky won a SB with the team that Tony Dungy assembled.  He was fairly average after that (once Brad Johnson retired). I am NOT a fan of Gruden - he's the world's biggest cheerleader for the flavor of the month

I agree I've never liked Gruden, I don't understand the infatuation for him.

It's a great question. Because if we don't get our front office in order, I think we're going to see a ton of the coaches everyone keeps dreaming/wishing about turning Snyder down flat. Right now, Washington is seen as a place where coaches go to fail. And the days of Danny being one of only two or three owners willing to break the bank for a coach are over. 

Cap room, great tradition/fanbase, some nice young players on offense and hopefully a franchise QB... they are solid reasons to want to coach the Skins.

But there are a ton of reasons to stay away too and they start with the owner's track record. No coach has really won under him. Not one.

Are you referring to Morroco? Curious as to why you and others I have seen are high on him. Wouldn't he also be responsible for the lack of talent always brought in during the draft or is there information that he is highly valued but always overruled/ignored for Vinny and now Shanahans picks?

He's not responsible for what the team intimately does, just for the scouting. As I said, as fans we don't really have access to the info that  lets us judge that.But he was very highly thought of in Chicago, has been highly valued here and the Cardinals almost gave him their GM job.

Chipwhich says "Casserly was horrible".

What's the basis for your opinion? 

Oh I don't know because the Redskins and Texans were both horrible under his regime?

His only claim to fame was the trade for Champ Bailey which should have netted us a strong foundation as a team, but his picks in general were terrible.

His best picks were his easiest picks.  Bailey, Lavar, and Samuels.  All considered top five talent.

Lower round picks are where GM's make their money.  His were putrid.

By the way, the only reason the Bailey trade occurred was because Ditka was an idiot.

Casserly was horrible.

Amen!!!!

How friggin INSANE do people have to be to want THAT GUY back - he was WORSE THAN VINNY for hell's sake!!!!!!

Pioli only failed because he couldn't land a good QB or a decent coach, and the aftermath of having a player blow his brains out in front of the staff.  Look at how much talent is on that Chiefs team.  

Make Pioli GM, keep AJ Smith and Brown on staff, and have the 3 of them together select a coach.

Oh I don't know because the Redskins and Texans were both horrible under his regime?

His only claim to fame was the trade for Champ Bailey which should have netted us a strong foundation as a team, but his picks in general were terrible.

His best picks were his easiest picks.  Bailey, Lavar, and Samuels.  All considered top five talent.

Lower round picks are where GM's make their money.  His were putrid.

By the way, the only reason the Bailey trade occurred was because Ditka was an idiot.

Cerrato, NOT Casserly, drafted Lavar and Samuels.  Casserly was fired in 99; they were drafted in 2000.  Casserly had a long line of 1st round busts:Other than Bailey, nearly every 1st rounder he took was out of football within a few years.  He also blew FA, giving big contracts to Stubblefield, Wilkinson (for whom he also traded a 1st and a 3rd), Leonard Marshall, Sean Gilbert.  Traded a 1st,2nd, and 3rd for Brad Johnson.  Prior to Bailey, the best pick he made in the 1st round was Kenard Lang, who spent most of his career as a backup.

Cerrato, NOT Casserly, drafted Lavar and Samuels.  Casserly was fired in 99; they were drafted in 2000.  Casserly had a long line of 1st round busts:Other than Bailey, nearly every 1st rounder he took was out of football within a few years.  He also blew FA, giving big contracts to Stubblefield, Wilkinson (for whom he also traded a 1st and a 3rd), Leonard Marshall, Sean Gilbert.  Traded a 1st,2nd, and 3rd for Brad Johnson.  Prior to Bailey, the best pick he made in the 1st round was Kenard Lang, who spent most of his career as a backup.

My mistake, I gave him too much credit :)

Its funny how your chewing up Casserly for those reasons when Vinny did those things on a larger scale during every off season.

Sure, Casserly made a bad decision with Stubblefield/Big Daddy, but Vinny made those stupid moves all the time. The busted pick cannot all be blamed on Casserly as he made reasonable decisions with Shuler, Westbrock, Lang. A lot of respected GMs would have drafted those guys in the first round at the time. Casserly didn't have much luck.

Trading draft picks for Brad Johnson was a smart move. Snyder screwed that up in 2000 as Brad went on to win a SB in Tampa.

Archived