Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RGIII Turnover at 8:01 in 2nd quarter

daveakl

I wanted to post the screen shots from the second and five play since there seems to be so much "misremembering" about what really happened.  RGIII was upset after the play while talking to Kyle.  Not 100% sure if it was the reaction to the result, the poor blitz pickup by Helu, the play call, or a combo of all three.  Mods, if this should not be a topic and go in another thread I apologize.  This play seems to be a huge point of contention on RGIII skills and awareness. 

RGIII_Eagles.jpg

I'm not sure where you stand, but I see no one getting separation and a bad attempt to block by Helu.

That's what I see also.  2 seconds seems to be the time he held the ball and a portion of that was selling the play action (which didn't fool anyone)

I stand corrected on one part. The Eagles didn't press across the board; their DB's just sat at 5 yards and waited for the breaking routes. Same scheme we always see with a slightly different look.

Barwin was untouched before Helu attempted the "chip".

That play was doomed from the start.

The play probably assumes he'll bite on the play fake. That didn't work out too well.

I stand corrected on one part. The Eagles didn't press across the board; their DB's just sat at 5 yards and waited for the breaking routes. Same scheme we always see with a slightly different look.

The play probably assumes he'll bite on the play fake. That didn't work out too well.

True, very true.

Also Barwin had a perfect view of the play fake. Barwin made a helluva play there. 

in the third pic, it looks like if reed breaks to the right instead of the left, he's wide open.  but a couple pics later, it also looks like moss is running to the same spot, so reed probably wasn't supposed to head that way.  i dunno.  really looks like nobody was open for the 1.5 seconds he had to throw the ball.

I saw Robert with helmet off and an Eagle sprawled across him.  I thought the Eagle was protecting Robert's head because there were multiple feet all around his head at that point.

The crazy thing is I felt the same way. I actually think players throughout the league really like Griffin.

Also look at Frames #3 and #4

It's clear Jordan Reed ran the wrong route.

Had he run to the right that's a quick six points.

I can't remember where but somebody said he was mad that Reed ran the wrong route. Might have been the twitter guys.

I'm sure he was also mad that he face planted into the grass with no helmet and had a 300lb Eagle crushing for 30 seconds. 

I love how everyone else just ignored these two posts.

I read this too. Reed make a rookie mistake and ****ed the play up

In fairness to Helu, by the time he executed the play fake, he had to lunge to his right to make contact with Barwin.  He didn't have time to get into a good solid stance.  Tough play for him.

He threw the int because he had Cox in his face.

I hate when that happens.

Also look at Frames #3 and #4

It's clear Jordan Reed ran the wrong route.

Had he run to the right that's a quick six points.

Just because you think a different route would have worked better doesn't necessarily mean he ran the wrong route.

Also, the middle looks so open partly because the DB broke outside with him. If he had gone inside, the DB could possibly have cut that route off as well.

In fairness to Helu, by the time he executed the play fake, he had to lunge to his right to make contact with Barwin.  He didn't have time to get into a good solid stance.  Tough play for him.

I agree with this.

Helu overruns the block by carrying out his play fake. That was a really tough block to make against a linebacker who took one look at the fake, called bull****, and ran around the guy trying to stop and come back to make a block on him.

I firmly believe Robinson is wide stinking open and, if the ball comes out on time, we get down to at least the one. Now, having said that, I don't know if Robinson was, or should have been, the primary read, and because of that I don't know if it is reasonable to expect RG3 to see him and hit it even if he is open.

I do, however, think it is reasonable for RG3 to say to himself "I took the ball in the shotgun, executed a play fake, and did NOT drop back any further from that point. I have already held the ball for nearly 2 seconds executing that play fake, and another second or two deciding that my receiver is covered. I do not have time to go through progressions 2 and 3 because this was a play designed to get the ball out of my hands instantaneously. I better throw it over the head of my covered receiver and into the third row so that we can try again on third down."

Just because you think a different route would have worked better doesn't necessarily mean he ran the wrong route.

Also, the middle looks so open partly because the DB broke outside with him. If he had gone inside, the DB could possibly have cut that route off as well.

The Skinsiders saw it too. But you're right, that could have been the right route.

Guess well never know

Archived